Joe Thomas: Darnold is a Bust

GreenWhite

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

My point is that Romo and Aikmans opinions are no better than Thomas

Except Romo and Aikman are well above Trent Dilfer on the “QB’s who know what they are doing” list.

Aikman is HOFer and Romo blows Joe Thomas out of the water in QB evaluation. If you have ever actually heard Romo talk QB play, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure how he knows what he’s talking about simply by how in-depth he gets with his observations.

you need to try a different angle, bud. This one isn’t working.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't it WAAAAY too early to say that?  We're not going to be able to tell much from this year.  Darnold is a very young rookie QB.  Goff didn't look good year 1.  How about Elway, Peyton, etc?  

Jared Goff only started 7 games in his rookie season with a 0-7 record as a starter. He had 5 touchdowns and 7 interceptions to go along with completing 54.6% of his 205 passes for 1,089 yards which gave him a 5.3 yards per attempt avg. 3.4% of his passes were intercepted. He was sacked 26 times, which is almost 4 sacks per start.

Let's compare that to Sam Darnold, who thus far has started 9 games in his rookie season with a 3-6 record as a starter. He has 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions to go along with completing 55% of his 289 passes for 1,934 yards which gives him a 6.7 yards per attempt avg. 4.8% of his passes have been intercepted, and that number could be higher if you think of all the int's that were dropped. He's been sacked 21 times, which is a smidgen more than 2 sacks per start. 

Darnold and Goff are pretty comparable in their rookie years so far. I say so far, because the rest of the Jets schedule is tough., and I expect Darnold's rookie season to have a rough finish.

35 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

It shows Joe Thomas’s opinion is as good as anyone on TV.

By next year at this time everyone on this board will see the truth about Samchez. 

How hard was it to get that red -95?  Something tells me you didn't have to think too much  to earn it.  Do you have to sit in a corner wearing a dunce hat?  

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Didn't Darnold have to play a couple of games with his two only good wideouts injured? Not to mention he has Bates as a coordinator who is obviously much much worse than John Morton. Just look at the difference between how Mccown looked last year to this year.

And lets not forget an useless center that from the first game has been on a mission to train Darnold how to play shortstop.  

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

As far as you go, we know you agree with him. You don’t have to keep flaunting it around that you think Sam is a bust already. It’s crystal clear. You can shut up about it now if you’d like.

This guys account was made to troll everyone about how Sam sucks at every opportunity.  I can never understand why someone would even take the time to set up a fake account to do that kind of nonsense. Unemployment is rough on some people, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He says if not for the good one game in week 1 start Darnold would be called a bust. 

Yet he judges Mayfield off one game saying if he can play as good as he did last week, the Browns can run the table. 

?

Be honest. With the benefit of hindsight and you could select Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield who do you take? 

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Be honest. With the benefit of hindsight and you could select Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield who do you take? 

I'd say that it's way to early to make that call either way, but for the sake of discussion, that I wish I got to see Sam with Chubb, Njoku, Cleveland's O-Line, Defense, and their schedule.  Also, I would throw in the fact that Jeremy Bates is a worse Offensive Coordinator/Coach than the two guys fired mid-season by Cleveland and that Darnold's best game was 5 weeks after the one that Thomas mentioned, so he obviously isn't watching him that closely.

I was a gigantic Mayfield fan.  Maybe the second biggest one on this forum (next to Villian, of course).  I'm not surprised by his success.  There was a point in the draft process where he was my QB1.  It only flipped between him and Sam.  I think they're both going to have very good careers.  I'm not gonna sh*t on Mayfield, and Thomas shouldn't have sh*t on Sam, especially when he, of all people, should know what it's like to be a player in a really bad situation when it comes to coaching and the talent around you.  I don't really know why he did it, but I lost a lot of respect for a guy that I loved and held in high regard because of it.  Oh well.  

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's a silly comparison.  Geno and Sanchez are completely unrelated to Darnold.  

I don't believe Sam has had a chance to prove his ability, but Sanchez and he did go to the same QB Bust University.  Sam just needs a GM that can get an OL and a HC that doesn't have his head up his a**.

39 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

This guys account was made to troll everyone about how Sam sucks at every opportunity.  I can never understand why someone would even take the time to set up a fake account to do that kind of nonsense. Unemployment is rough on some people, I suppose. 

.....and a tiny brain.

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I don't believe Sam has had a chance to prove his ability, but Sanchez and he did go to the same QB Bust University.  Sam just needs a GM that can get an OL and a HC that doesn't have his head up his a**.

Sam will be fine. He had an outstanding freshman year in college and was fair in his sophomore year since his OL fell apart. He's 21. He's still learning. He's supposed to be in college for 2 more years.! Everyone needs to give this kid a break! He's playing under a coach that is better at fishing for shrimp than standing on an NFL sideline.  His OC is terrified to cut him loose since he's playing behind an atrocious OL and the offensive weapons at his disposal are probably the worse in the NFL.  He's looked poised, in control and confident in games where he's protected and lost, confused and impulsive when he has no time. What QB plays well with 280 pound DL in your face nearly every play.  I am ecstatic from what I've seen from Sam this year. He's displayed a strong enough arm to make any throw. He's got good pocket presence, leadership, he takes accountability, he's confident, can throw on the run, has nice touch, He only going to get better. Sky's the limit.        

The difference between Rosen and Mayfield compared to Darnold is their ability to step up in the pocket and deliver. Its a basic quality that all professional QBs must have before entering the NFL. The fact that Darnold cannot do this consistently scares the sh*t out me.

The Jets invested a ton in this kid and they are going to give him every chance to be successful (as they should), but from what Ive seen its very unlikely he becomes anything more than capable backup in this league.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

How hard was it to get that red -95?  Something tells me you didn't have to think too much  to earn it.  Do you have to sit in a corner wearing a dunce hat?  

I call it like I see it. Im sure if I criticized Sanchez on this board 9 years ago it would have been met with the same resistant.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol are you all actually getting your panties in a bunch over Joe f##cking Thomas?

The guy doesn’t know anything about good QB play. He’s not a scout, he’s not a talent evaluator of any sort and he’s never protected a QB’s blind side that has even been anything close to competent at his job. 

Dont waste your emotion and energy over this guy. Only time will tell what Darnold is and it sure ain’t now! Not in Week 11 in his rookie year. Not under the circumstances he’s under.

It’s not realistic. So to take a page out of @RutgersJetFan‘s book.....take a chill pill.

Who are you?

24 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

I call it like I see it. Im sure if I criticized Sanchez on this board 9 years ago it would have been met with the same resistant.

Not to those of us who actually saw every game Mark played at USC, and were shocked - stunned really, that the Jets took him so high.  That 2008 team Mark QB'd was loaded with All Americans all over the field.  He was a game manager, nothing more.  

You have to be ignorant about football and the quarterback position to compare Sam and Mark, in any way....unless  you enjoy sounding stupid.  I call it like I see it too.  

There is like zero doubt in my mind that Darnold is and will be a significantly better QB than Mayfield. Darnold is the victim of inept coaching and devastating injuries to offense depleting a roster that was already significantly lacking talent. If Sunday's game showed anything is that Darnold is likely better than we thought because the whole offense is pathetic and McCown looked worse than Darnold. He had one very bad game. Yet we start throwing out the bust word. Pure troll post by the original poster, he is just looking to provoke Jets fans who are already devastated by the season.

To the OP thank you for playing but......

Sam Darnold is not the bust out there on the field, it is the Jets once again not being prepared as an organization for what is required to make a young QB successful or an organization successful in the long term that are the busts out there.    

The Jets do everything backwards and wonder why it “didn’t work, indeed they check all of the boxes ............1) poor drafts = check, 2) Poor HC coaching and no stellar assistants = check, 3) Horrible OL play with no viable plan for an upgrade = check, 4) No every down difference makers on offense so as to take pressure off of the QB = check, and 5) repeated rebuilds inside of rebuilds designed to take the organization no further than they were the year before but somehow call it “progress” again = check!

And yet we have folks out here saying Darnold is the problem after less than one year of play and he is a BUST in which his stats aren’t great but are not in anyway reflective of his overall play.  

Utter Madness!!

Good Grief!!!

Archived