Manish: Mike Maccagnan will chose the next head coach

Jetsbb

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not seem like it, but that is actually good news. At least the structure will no longer be dysfunctional and candidates won't be afraid to interview because they know they will have a fair amount of time.  It also precludes the idiotic consultant set up.

At least it gets us out of new coach inherits existing GM followed by new GM inheriting existing coach with both sequentially having a built in excuse for their failure.

I would prefer both gone at the end of the season but at least this gets us back into phase.

Plus Mehta could be wrong

At this point I've come to accept that Mike will be back and just do my best to cope with that reality. I know it's an unpopular sentiment around these parts but I'm just gonna look at the moves that have been good and hope we have more of that ??‍♂️

As long as Bowles is gone, my optimism can hang in a little while longer. I personally dont think Mike has been as horrible as Bowles (not saying much). If they both come back, I would really lose my mind. 

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

At least it gets us out of new coach inherits existing GM followed by new GM inheriting existing coach with both sequentially having a built in excuse for their failure.

I would prefer both gone at the end of the season but at least this gets us back into phase.

Plus Mehta could be wrong

I agree. I also think his HC selection (if it really is his selection) will go a long way towards determining how much I can stomach this GM going forward. If he hires a questionable DC as the our next first time HC, I might really give up 

I thought the other interesting thing in the podcast was when Manish said Mac too often defers to the Jets coaching staff when making draft picks. He said Ardarius Stewart was picked because Morton was in love with him. 

Not totally surprised since we all heard how muck Kevin Greene loved Dylan Donahue. And I’ll bet anything the Marcus Maye pick was basically made by Bowles. 

Does Macc have a mind of his own?

4 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I thought the other interesting thing in the podcast was when Manish said Mac too often defers to the Jets coaching staff when making draft picks. He said Ardarius Stewart was picked because Morton was in love with him. 

Not totally surprised since we all heard how muck Kevin Greene loved Dylan Donahue. And I’ll bet anything the Marcus Maye pick was basically made by Bowles. 

He’s just making excuses and he isn’t s leader. No, he doesn’t have a mind of his own. Can’t wait for the offseason and next season when we can all really freak out. 

7 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Yup.  It was Hackenberg...

31 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If Maccagnan needs the coach to make the draft picks for him then why not let the coach pick a GM too?

11 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Most correct. I'm good with it. Let Macc pick his own coach. He'll swim or sink with that decision.

I always assumed Bowles played a heavy part in a lot of these draft decisions.  It was an idiotic way for Woody to structure the hierarchy.  I look forward to seeing what happens with an offensive minded coach and a GM who doesn't need to need a coaches buy in on every draft choice.

25 minutes ago, Pac said:

This was always happening and is the correct move.

I've been 50/50 on Macc but this essentially puts it all on him.  In that way it's really not a bad move.  This will be his roster, his coach, his entire show.  I think he gets at least 2 years, not 3.  If he hires the right coach and has found a franchise QB then it won't matter and we'll want him longterm.  If the new coach fizzles over his first two years and/or the roster is still depleted then Macc is a goner.

This puts it all on him for the next two years and there will be no debate about whose fault it is if things don't work out.  If Macc had hired Bowles it would be easy to can both of them now, but Bowles isn't really his coach.  This had lead to all these unnecessary debates about whether the sorry state of the Jets is the GM or HC's fault.

if true & clearly that's debatable, it would mean woody & woody's brother won't put themselves on front street by completely conceding they **** the bed two regimes running..

no word on if the HC maccagnan supposedly will be be picking will actually report to him directly, or will they stick with the smartest guys in the room formula??

can't wait..

This is just taking a small, obvious probability and inflating it into otherwise baseless speculation. If Macc remains and Bowles is canned then it's extremely probable the GM is going to have a lot of input and involvement in the search. We don't really know if that means the next coach will answer to the GM or who will make the final say. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It may not seem like it, but that is actually good news. At least the structure will no longer be dysfunctional and candidates won't be afraid to interview because they know they will have a fair amount of time.  It also precludes the idiotic consultant set up.

Yes, Candidates will be thrilled to be attached to a GM on a short leash.

Archived