Manish: Mike Maccagnan will chose the next head coach

Jetsbb

4 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Ive already accepted that Mac would survive....the only logical thing to do is to tie him and the new HC to the hip and can both of them if we can’t move this thing forward in 2-3 years....

yep, hope for the best now.

My guess he signs the best/youngest OC he can find and we can only hope at that point

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The jobs are hard to get .. don't fool yourself .... Being selected as a HC in the NFL is akin to finding the Golden Freaking Ticket.

The top candidates can afford to wait a year, and may have multiple offers.

Despite the resources, we are undeniably the least attractive job under these circumstances.

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

Who are the top candidates?  Shanahan is a dinosaur and Harbaugh isn't someone I'd want.  Was Mcvay or Nagy a top candidate capable of dictating terms?

The hot coordinators, available college coaches, or fired NFL head coaches will reveal themselves by the end of the year, and they will avoid the Jets job because of Maccagnan, who's really bad at his job. Anyone who's in strong demand from multiple teams will have plenty of leverage in negotiations. You don't think a guy like Jason Garrett could dictate terms if he became available? 

32 minutes ago, Pac said:

Who are the top candidates?  Shanahan is a dinosaur and Harbaugh isn't someone I'd want.  Was Mcvay or Nagy a top candidate capable of dictating terms?

Nope. In fact everyone scrutinized the McVay hire since he was so young. It was a huge risk for them to hire a 30 year old guy with no prior HC experience. 

Nagy did better in the press because he was someone who was considered groomed and ready for the role by Reid. Reid’s coaching tree is an interesting one. I wanted Nagy a year before he was even hired. I “banged on the table” for him in a Terry Bradway type of way. 

McVay came out of left field though.

18 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I think the GM and coach should be in sync. The Jury is out f Macc is that gm though. I think if the coach and gm are in sync these staff picks will not happen as often as they should be in sync

When the Tuna was both he wasn't in sync with himself.. He sucked as a GM..:wacko:

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

These guys work their entire lives to get a shot at being a head coach and taking the wrong job can end your career. Four out of our last five head coaches are literally no longer employed by the league anymore, and for three of them—Herm, Mangini, and Rex—a lot of that has to do with the stink of getting fired from this godforsaken franchise at one point. No way does a guy like DeFillippo entrust his life’s work to Mike Maccagnan and the Johnson bros.

Upbeat as ever I see. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I thought the other interesting thing in the podcast was when Manish said Mac too often defers to the Jets coaching staff when making draft picks. He said Ardarius Stewart was picked because Morton was in love with him. 

Not totally surprised since we all heard how muck Kevin Greene loved Dylan Donahue. And I’ll bet anything the Marcus Maye pick was basically made by Bowles. 

Does Macc have a mind of his own?

i'd also bet the sheppard pick was b/c of someone on the coaching staff.  that doesn't seem like a mccagnan pick.

59 minutes ago, slats said:

The hot coordinators, available college coaches, or fired NFL head coaches will reveal themselves by the end of the year, and they will avoid the Jets job because of Maccagnan, who's really bad at his job. Anyone who's in strong demand from multiple teams will have plenty of leverage in negotiations. You don't think a guy like Jason Garrett could dictate terms if he became available? 

Jason Garrett??  Hoping for better than that.

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nope. In fact everyone scrutinized the McVay hire since he was so young. It was a huge risk for them to hire a 30 year old guy with no prior HC experience. 

Nagy did better in the press because he was someone who was considered groomed and ready for the role by Reid. Reid’s coaching tree is an interesting one. I wanted Nagy a year before he was even hired. I “banged on the table” for him in a Terry Bradway type of way. 

McVay came out of left field though.

It was a rhetorical question but yeah..  I was trying to point out the silliness of these cant miss candidates who will supposedly turn down a GM known to be particularly amenable to building a team around a hcs wish list.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Jason Garrett??  Hoping for better than that.

You asked who could dictate terms. That's a name. You want someone better? You think someone better isn't going to leverage their position against the Jets in negotiations? 

1 minute ago, slats said:

You asked who could dictate terms. That's a name. You want someone better? You think someone better isn't going to leverage their position against the Jets in negotiations? 

I don’t think Jason Garrett could do that. No owner outside of Jerry Jones would of kept him this long.

This is disappointing if true.  Mac has been a failure as a GM and giving him a few more years is not deserved.  The Jets need to stop this cycle of stupidity.  They need to clear the deck and hire a new GM who can pick his HC.  Anything less than this proves that the Jets circus never really left town.    

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Id be surprised if Garrett got a HC interview let alone dictate terms.

I'd be alright if Jim Harbaugh demanded Macc be removed but not many else worth getting overly excited about.

I only researched a bit but I like what I read about Chris Petersen from WA.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think Jason Garrett could do that. No owner outside of Jerry Jones would of kept him this long.

He's done well with an UDFA QB and a fourth round pick QB. He's played the position and coached the position. I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with a top QB prospect. That would be his only interest in coming to the Jets but, if the Cowboys fire him, he'll have other options. 

Also, it's not like Jerry Jones is a patient guy. Don't know where that comment comes from. They're not the Browns, but Garrett is his longest tenured coach. Jimmy Johnson lasted five years, and no other Jones' coach lasted more than four.  

1 minute ago, slats said:

He's done well with an UDFA QB and a fourth round pick QB. He's played the position and coached the position. I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with a top QB prospect. That would be his only interest in coming to the Jets but, if the Cowboys fire him, he'll have other options. 

Also, it's not like Jerry Jones is a patient guy. Don't know where that comment comes from. They're not the Browns, but Garrett is his longest tenured coach. Jimmy Johnson lasted five years, and no other Jones' coach lasted more than four.  

Dak has been widely regarded as underwhelming since his rookie year.

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jet-take/id1102283546?mt=2#episodeGuid=366f82946a974b2290640a4d2b00ae23

Long interview with Manish. Not only will Mike be back but he will be the one in charge of the Head Coaching search. Also said Jets will be committed to him for another three years at least because of the new coach.

WOW!!!!

What is really frightening is that one could make a strong argument that Bowles was actually undermined as a HC bythe performance of Mac as GM and the putrid players that have in general been on the team. 

10 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I agree. I also think his HC selection (if it really is his selection) will go a long way towards determining how much I can stomach this GM going forward. If he hires a questionable DC as the our next first time HC, I might really give up 

Does anyone in their right mind believe that Mac is going to bring in an established HC who has more gravitas then himself.  

I am tired of the Jets since Parcells departure seemly being run by the JV C team.  Only Rex in his first year avoided this because he took over many coaches from the previous regime.  

So if Harbaugh suddenly were to become available to us.... does that mean that we are not in the market if his idea of job the description overlaps Macc's? 

I understand there are those who do not want him at any price but this is more a question about us closing off certain options with the decision here (if true)

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

These guys work their entire lives to get a shot at being a head coach and taking the wrong job can end your career. Four out of our last five head coaches are literally no longer employed by the league anymore, and for three of them—Herm, Mangini, and Rex—a lot of that has to do with the stink of getting fired from this godforsaken franchise at one point. No way does a guy like DeFillippo entrust his life’s work to Mike Maccagnan and the Johnson bros.

I don't think that's fair. All three immediately became head coaches for another franchise after getting fired here.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I agree with the general sentiment here... But think it's hilarious you reference Jason Garrett as a guy who could dictate terms. I'd be really surprised if he got another HC gig.

John Harbaugh could probably dictate terms... Garrett? He "the clapper." He's perceived as being a zero value add puppet for Jerry Jones.

These guys work their entire lives to get a shot at being a head coach and taking the wrong job can end your career. Four out of our last five head coaches are literally no longer employed by the league anymore, and for three of them—Herm, Mangini, and Rex—a lot of that has to do with the stink of getting fired from this godforsaken franchise at one point. 

i look at this another way.  i think all the head coaches of the jets since parcells got the job b/c it was an undesirable job given the owner/gm/lack of qb here.  so the jets were usually in contention for the worst available hc candidates.  mangini has ability, but i think it's better used in the front office, and when you consider he was the guy behind the brick/mangold/revis picks, yeah, i'd like him back.

but herm/rex/bowles only took this job b/c they weren't getting other ones.  herm was always better suited for college and i'm glad that's where he is now.  but aside from being an nfl franchise, there hasn't been much else of a draw for the best hc candidates.  at least now there's a gm who the owner is allegedly standing behind, so there's stability there.  you also have a young qb prospect who may be a draw.  i think darnold and cap room will matter most since there may be a few young innovative minds from successful franchises who would have a clear plan of what types of players they'd need and what type of system to run with darnold to get the offense functional right away.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i look at this another way.  i think all the head coaches of the jets since parcells got the job b/c it was an undesirable job given the owner/gm/lack of qb here.  so the jets were usually in contention for the worst available hc candidates.  mangini has ability, but i think it's better used in the front office, and when you consider he was the guy behind the brick/mangold/revis picks, yeah, i'd like him back.

but herm/rex/bowles only took this job b/c they weren't getting other ones.  herm was always better suited for college and i'm glad that's where he is now.  but aside from being an nfl franchise, there hasn't been much else of a draw for the best hc candidates.  at least now there's a gm who the owner is allegedly standing behind, so there's stability there.  you also have a young qb prospect who may be a draw.  i think darnold and cap room will matter most since there may be a few young innovative minds from successful franchises who would have a clear plan of what types of players they'd need and what type of system to run with darnold to get the offense functional right away.  

I do not consider that.  I do not believe it.  You shouldn't either.

Bowles was a fairly hot commodity when we signed him. He was interviewing for all the vacancies.  Same as everybody else.  

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jet-take/id1102283546?mt=2#episodeGuid=366f82946a974b2290640a4d2b00ae23

Long interview with Manish. Not only will Mike be back but he will be the one in charge of the Head Coaching search. Also said Jets will be committed to him for another three years at least because of the new coach.

Well this proves that the Woody Johnson & little brother combo together don't even have a completely functioning brain.  If any of this is true, then it would be perhaps the WORST decision in franchise history.  Maccagnan and his staff have ZERO talent evaluation ability.  Why can't the Johnson's recognize this?  The only answer I can think of is that they are really, really stupid people.

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Maccagnan knows he needs to win now. He is going to be inclined to hire an experienced coach. Expect it t be John Harbaugh or Mike Mccarthy.

after watching what McCarthy did last night, NFW do I want that guy. His decisions last night completely lost him the game and his refusal to play his best RB all season untill the last 2 weeks was inexcusable. My Packer fan friends hate him.  He sucks.

I think Mac threw Bowles under the bus.

Basically said he and his staff of losers (see below) unduly influenced draft picks.

And basically said by not having a real supervisor like him, Bowles was allowed to build an underwhelming staff that not only produced bad game plans, but made it hard to fire him mid-season.  

So Mac gets a reboot to show how he can draft and sign FAs without undo influence.  

My guess is that the presence of Heimerdinger with a raise helps justify the process.

On one hand this is very frustrating given Mac’s prior moves.

On the other hand, who would we replace him with?  With the Jets current structure, I think anyone would be bad.  I think Mac would be bad in any structure.  But I guess we have to see.  

They have to keep and continue to develop Heimerdinger.  I think they are grooming Mac to be the Director of Football Operations that we wanted. I think with a new coach, Darnold’s development and better structure they throw the fans a bone and have a better season next year.  I would be ok keeping Bowles as DC if he actually did the work,but I don’t think that is practically possible.  

Archived