Manish: Mike Maccagnan will chose the next head coach

Jetsbb

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I thought the other interesting thing in the podcast was when Manish said Mac too often defers to the Jets coaching staff when making draft picks. He said Ardarius Stewart was picked because Morton was in love with him. 

Not totally surprised since we all heard how muck Kevin Greene loved Dylan Donahue. And I’ll bet anything the Marcus Maye pick was basically made by Bowles. 

Does Macc have a mind of his own?

This is what I've always suspected.  Mac just strikes me as the type of guy who bows down to the Football dudes in the room.

@TeddEY - which begs the question, what does Mac actually do for a living?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

These guys work their entire lives to get a shot at being a head coach and taking the wrong job can end your career. Four out of our last five head coaches are literally no longer employed by the league anymore, and for three of them—Herm, Mangini, and Rex—a lot of that has to do with the stink of getting fired from this godforsaken franchise at one point. No way does a guy like DeFillippo entrust his life’s work to Mike Maccagnan and the Johnson bros.

Herm, Mangini, and Rex all had second chances. They are out of the league because they weren't very good at what they did. 

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think Mac threw Bowles under the bus.

Basically said he and his staff of losers (see below) unduly influenced draft picks.

And basically said by not having a real supervisor like him, Bowles was allowed to build an underwhelming staff that not only produced bad game plans, but made it hard to fire him mid-season.  

So Mac gets a reboot to show how he can draft and sign FAs without undo influence.  

My guess is that the presence of Heimerdinger with a raise helps justify the process.

On one hand this is very frustrating given Mac’s prior moves.

On the other hand, who would we replace him with?  With the Jets current structure, I think anyone would be bad.  I think Mac would be bad in any structure.  But I guess we have to see.  

They have to keep and continue to develop Heimerdinger.  I think they are grooming Mac to be the Director of Football Operations that we wanted. I think with a new coach, Darnold’s development and better structure they throw the fans a bone and have a better season next year.  I would be ok keeping Bowles as DC if he actually did the work,but I don’t think that is practically possible.  

You had me until you said THAT.  I gotta say,  I vomited in my mouth a little.  ?

Bowles needs to be driven to the airport the second the season ends and banned from ever stepping foot in Met Life Stadium again.  

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is what I've always suspected.  Mac just strikes me as the type of guy who bows down to the Football dudes in the room.

I’m all for letting the coaching staff have input in the draft process, it’s necessary.   But to defer to them and just pick who they say is beyond foolish and speaks volumes about just how poor of a GM Maccagnan is.  To get run over and bullied like that in the draft room is laughable.  That’s the GM’s sacred space, it’s his and his alone.  You need one voice from the top running the show, not head coaches, coordinators and position coaches all writing out selection cards.  I have even less respect for Maccagnan now than I did yesterday(and that wasn’t all that much to begin with).   

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Maccagnan is going to have to have some balls on him to tie his ship to a newcomer (e.g. a 32 year old QB coach from LA)... I imagine that Maccagnan is going to look toward a proven commodity and John Harbaugh will be his target.

Brother...Harbaugh ain’t coming nowhere near I95 North unless he gets complete roster control/vp of football title. Which, takes all the power out of Mac’s hands (which I would love!) But, Mac isn’t giving up control. 

If Harbaugh goes to a new team without control, it’ll be the Packers or a team that is more ready to win.

12 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I thought the other interesting thing in the podcast was when Manish said Mac too often defers to the Jets coaching staff when making draft picks. He said Ardarius Stewart was picked because Morton was in love with him. 

Not totally surprised since we all heard how muck Kevin Greene loved Dylan Donahue. And I’ll bet anything the Marcus Maye pick was basically made by Bowles. 

So the vaunted personnel guy doesn't even pick the personnel? This team never fails to amaze.

Manish now: “Macc must hire the new head coach.”

Manish is the offseason: “Ohhhh no. Not that guy.”

Manish at the draft: “Macc made a mistake in hiring coach”

Manish week 3 after 0-3 start: “Is Macc on the hot seat!?”

Manish next offseason: “Macc should have never hired a coach!”

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know about this.  I think Macc both can and will survive a 3-13 finish (even though I think 4-12 is more likely).  I don't hate Macc (at least not at the moment) but he doesn't have a particularly good track record so far either.  I'd be more than fine if the Jets cleaned house and brought in some experienced quality people.

For example

President of Football Operations: Mike Shanahan

HC: John Harbaugh

I'm not sure what GMs are available but we really need a John Dorsey type to start hitting on draft picks all over the place. 

I'm telling you right now to bookmark this. Mike Maccagan  will NOT SURVIVE 3-13 in 2018. I'd be willing to bet no GM or coach has ever been given a 5th year while the previous 4 years they compiled a 23-41 record with the most recent one being the worst at 3-13. That is 23 wins divided by 64 games and equates exactly to a winning percentage of 35.9375%. That's an average of less tha 6 wins per season. The Jets are not trending upwards, in fact the are trending in a downward trajectory. Why would ownership want stability when those are the results after 4 years? Do you really need a larger sample size to determine this regime is not going to produce a championship team. Ownership has given them more than enough time. Times up!

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

So the vaunted personnel guy doesn't even pick the personnel? This team never fails to amaze.

That's what happens when the owner designs a stupid hierarchy with the hc and GM being equals.  I'm looking forward to an unencumbered Macc Attack.

Just now, Pac said:

That's what happens when the owner designs a stupid hierarchy with the hc and GM being equals.  I'm looking forward to an unencumbered Macc Attack.

sat here for a few minutes arguing with myself about whether it was better to have no one in charge or one known idiot in charge, realized the debate was a perfect metaphor for being a Jets fan, decided to take a sick day

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Viral Marketing for Dunkin Donuts?

2 hours ago, slats said:

You asked who could dictate terms. That's a name. You want someone better? You think someone better isn't going to leverage their position against the Jets in negotiations? 

Jason Garrett is not dictating terms to anybody.  He has a track record of mediocrity and will be an OC at best when he finally gets canned in Dallas.  

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm also interested to see how it goes. We could be wrong and Macc continues to be the same Macc we've had for the past four years. We could also be pleasantly surprised to see how Macc works as a true GM.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think Mac threw Bowles under the bus.

Basically said he and his staff of losers (see below) unduly influenced draft picks.

And basically said by not having a real supervisor like him, Bowles was allowed to build an underwhelming staff that not only produced bad game plans, but made it hard to fire him mid-season.  

So Mac gets a reboot to show how he can draft and sign FAs without undo influence.  

My guess is that the presence of Heimerdinger with a raise helps justify the process.

On one hand this is very frustrating given Mac’s prior moves.

On the other hand, who would we replace him with?  With the Jets current structure, I think anyone would be bad.  I think Mac would be bad in any structure.  But I guess we have to see.  

They have to keep and continue to develop Heimerdinger.  I think they are grooming Mac to be the Director of Football Operations that we wanted. I think with a new coach, Darnold’s development and better structure they throw the fans a bone and have a better season next year.  I would be ok keeping Bowles as DC if he actually did the work,but I don’t think that is practically possible.  

So what about those statements are incorrect. Is speaking the truth throwing someone under the bus ?

Its no surprise that Bowles and staff influenced draft picks , its how most organizations work , with the GM having final say.  Because of the Jets wacky hiring and reporting structure Bowles presumably was given more leeway than in most orgs.

12 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

This seems to make sense, and would explain some of the picks over the years, but it does not excuse Macc.  As the GM, the buck stops with him when it comes to player selection and roster construction.  It does not matter, in my mind, if he was influenced by the Coaching staff or he made the selections himself.  Either his player evaluations and selections were poor in which case we are likely screwed, or he was not strong enough to fight to build a roster he believed in -- giving in to the coaching staff too much.  Either way, that is a bad GM.

Since it seems apparent that he will be around a few more years, I sure hope it was the latter and that he has learned from the experience and that he will be a better, stronger GM moving forward.  I am skeptical but hoping for the best.

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m all for letting the coaching staff have input in the draft process, it’s necessary.   But to defer to them and just pick who they say is beyond foolish and speaks volumes about just how poor of a GM Maccagnan is.  To get run over and bullied like that in the draft room is laughable.  That’s the GM’s sacred space, it’s his and his alone.  You need one voice from the top running the show, not head coaches, coordinators and position coaches all writing out selection cards.  I have even less respect for Maccagnan now than I did yesterday(and that wasn’t all that much to begin with).   

Agreed.  That input is key to their relationship but it's not like Todd Bowles had proven anything in this league to give him that type of authority.  And to let position coaches in on the decision? I guess I should have figured they were in on it too.  You think Mac is going to stand toe to toe with a HOF'er in Kevin Greene and tell him no?  

It is more damning.  Legit, what is your job if you're not even making picks? 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This seems to make sense, and would explain some of the picks over the years, but it does not excuse Macc.  As the GM, the buck stops with him when it comes to player selection and roster construction.  It does not matter, in my mind, if he was influenced by the Coaching staff or he made the selections himself.  Either his player evaluations and selections were poor in which case we are likely screwed, or he was not strong enough to fight to build a roster he believed in -- giving in to the coaching staff too much.  Either way, that is a bad GM.

Since it seems apparent that he will be around a few more years, I sure hope it was the latter and that he has learned from the experience and that he will be a better, stronger GM moving forward.  I am skeptical but hoping for the best.

The best news ever, would be to find out that Mac gets to pick the Head Coach and that Head Coach still reports to the Johnsons and not Mac.  OMG it would be like a double Jets burger served with a side of Jets. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  That input is key to their relationship but it's not like Todd Bowles had proven anything in this league to give him that type of authority.  And to let position coaches in on the decision? I guess I should have figured they were in on it too.  You think Mac is going to stand toe to toe with a HOF'er in Kevin Greene and tell him no?  

If he did that in a  traditional GM  HC hierarchy I'd had more issue with it. The fact that Bowles and him reported equally to the owner makes me question how much authority Mac really had.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would honestly love to hear Morton’s case for selecting Stewart.  What did he do so well that he begged to draft him?  He didn’t have great size, didn’t posses great speed, didn’t have great hands, what ability stood out to warrant being selected in the 3rd round?  Most guys have something above average to their game when selected that high, to me he wasn’t any more distinguished than some of the receivers selected in the 7th round.  

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If he did that in a  traditional GM  HC hierarchy I'd had more issue with it. The fact that Bowles and him reported equally to the owner makes me question how much authority Mac really had.

Sure I guess but there should be a pretty clear cut declination of job responsibilities no matter how backward the reporting structure. 

Hmm, who should i listen to the guy who has been following a guy around all year and watching hundreds of hours of tape or a coach that sees a youtube highlight package with bad music pounding the table for a player...hmmm...who do i go with?

In the end it is the gms call so if he listened to or tried to please coachs that is 100% on him as the gm

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would honestly love to hear Morton’s case for selecting Stewart.  What did he do so well that he begged to draft him?  He didn’t have great size, didn’t posses great speed, didn’t have great hands, what ability stood out to warrant being selected in the 3rd round?  Most guys have something above average to their game when selected that high, to me he wasn’t any more distinguished than some of the receivers selected in the 7th round.  

No clue.  Hated that pick and wasnt Morton a WR coach in New Orleans before he became the OC?  Bizarre.  Because even the way he was using him made no sense.  He was giving him end arounds and reverses like he was some dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands.  And he wasnt.  

Just now, JiF said:

No clue.  Hated that pick and wasnt Morton a WR coach in New Orleans before he became the OC?  Bizarre.  Because even the way he was using him made no sense.  He was giving him end arounds and reverses like he was some dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands.  And he wasnt.  

Agreed.  That’s exactly how Alabama used him too.  He caught very few passes downfield and was primarily used on screens and hitches.  Nothing dynamic about his game.  

13 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

That is pretty crazy.  

Pepper Johnson says that they don't even want to hear what position coaches have to say about other positions or coordinating coverage and pressure.  That position coaches are supposed to "stay in their lane."  Now they are making draft picks?  In the 3rd ******* round?  Holy sh*t.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

The best news ever, would be to find out that Mac gets to pick the Head Coach and that Head Coach still reports to the Johnsons and not Mac.  OMG it would be like a double Jets burger served with a side of Jets. 

If the jets just replace Bowles with Hue Jackson and keep the same structure, I wouldn’t be surprised at all. 

Archived