Manish: Mike Maccagnan will chose the next head coach

Jetsbb

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Uh, plenty of people are doing just that.

The suggestion is that the stupidity Macc's exhibited is because of Bowles, and absent that Macc would have been a good GM.

The "same game" is nothing of the sort since you'd be first in line to blame Bowles if Long's backup snapped straight 100% of the time, but then got easily run over and got Darnold badly injured. 

Also I'm not deflecting by suggesting Bowles is any good after his failures, suggesting they're all due to Macc. One could make a stronger suggestion of the opposite, though, because when Macc spent 2+ years' money on the 2015 season, and provided Bowles with an actual NFL roster for a bit, the team went 10-6. You'd be hard-pressed to show Macc's success that Bowles has hidden (e.g. players that did so much better after they moved to another team). There are even situations of players (e.g. Davis, Fitz, McCown, Carpenter, McLendon) having better seasons under Bowles than they had with their prior team. 

They both suck. Badly. One is not demonstrably better than the other.

You put your team in the best position to win - Bowles has not done that - repeatedly.

2015 Bowles largely  inherited a team from the previous regime, he's done nothing but drag it down since

The vets you mention all came here and were allowed to play more than with their previous teams.

I disagree with one is not better than the other,  At least Mac has made some good moves as GM , just what exactly has Bowles done that is good ?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You know that phenomenon where you take a week-long vacation and you feel super-refreshed, then you go back into the office on Monday and the maisma of spiritual death in the place instantly overcomes you and you feel like you were never on vacation? This just happened to me when I read Pac’s posts.

LOL I missed these posts.??

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

You put your team in the best position to win - Bowles has not done that - repeatedly.

2015 Bowles largely  inherited a team from the previous regime, he's done nothing but drag it down since

The vets you mention all came here and were allowed to play more than with their previous teams.

I disagree with one is not better than the other,  At least Mac has made some good moves as GM , just what exactly has Bowles done that is good ?

Before that, a GM puts his coach in the best position to win. Maccagnan has not done that -- repeatedly. 

So NOW the inherited team had value? I thought Maccagnan inherited absolutely nothing. Been reading that for 4 years.

Macc has made a few "good" moves by the law of averages. There are fewer still where the best move for the Jets to make was his "good" move. Perhaps none at all. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Before that, a GM puts his coach in the best position to win. Maccagnan has not done that -- repeatedly. 

So NOW the inherited team had value? I thought Maccagnan inherited absolutely nothing. Been reading that for 4 years.

Macc has made a few "good" moves by the law of averages. There are fewer still where the best move for the Jets to make was his "good" move. Perhaps none at all. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When are the law of averages going to allow Bowles to make a good move

Everyone has a right to be frustrated and salty about Macc, but what would change your opinion of him after the 2019 off season? I know that you have your snarky and funny answers all ready for this, but please try to be objective. Please.

Here is what it would take to change my opinion of Macc from "He gotta go" to "he proved me wrong".

1. A major overhaul of the offensive line. I won't even get to number 2 on this list if he doesn't accomplish this. 

2. See number 1

3. Acquire a true number 1 wide receiver. I like Enunwa and Anderson as 2 and 3, instead of 1 and 2.

4. Trade Leo while his value is at it's highest. Let some other team give Leo his first big contract. 

5. Don't sign Le'Veon Bell to a ludicrous contract.Better yet, don't sign him.  If you're going to overspend on players, let it be at OL. We once found Kevin Mawae in the wild. 

Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't draft safeties at 1 and 2.

Based on Mac's draft performance it is pretty clear that their will be only 2 types of candidates for the HC job: 1) the painfully obvious candidates; and 2) guys we've never heard of. So, the next coach will either be John Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, or someone of that ilk; or the current HC at Slippery Rock.

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Everyone has a right to be frustrated and salty about Macc, but what would change your opinion of him after the 2019 off season? I know that you have your snarky and funny answers all ready for this, but please try to be objective. Please.

Here is what it would take to change my opinion of Macc from "He gotta go" to "he proved me wrong".

1. A major overhaul of the offensive line. I won't even get to number 2 on this list if he doesn't accomplish this. 

2. See number 1

3. Acquire a true number 1 wide receiver. I like Enunwa and Anderson as 2 and 3, instead of 1 and 2.

4. Trade Leo while his value is at it's highest. Let some other team give Leo his first big contract. 

5. Don't sign Le'Veon Bell to a ludicrous contract.Better yet, don't sign him.  If you're going to overspend on players, let it be at OL. We once found Kevin Mawae in the wild. 

Agree with a lot of what you say. On Leo , I'd love to see him play in a true 4-3 , Bowles is wasting Leo's athleticism by having him eat blocks in his 3-4 scheme.

I don't see any reason we can't upgrade the Oline and sign Bell .

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Agree with a lot of what you say. On Leo , I'd love to see him play in a true 4-3 , Bowles is wasting Leo's athleticism by having him eat blocks in his 3-4 scheme.

I agree. I've been saying this for awhile and @Doggin94it made this point in his off-season plan thread, but man, I think we've been using Leo wrong. Use his elite athleticism as a 3 tech DT that penetrates and disrupts. 1 gap responsibility instead of this read and react occupy blockers 2 gap role. I think you see a jump.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Im so tired of the narrative that the jets dont have talent.  ...

Robby Anderson, Enunwa, and Herndon are not bad players and robby (speed) and Enunwa (size and after the catch ability) have near elite NFL traits for a team to work with.  Unfortunately we have a rookie QB, a RG who gets blown into the backfield 3-4 times a game, and a center who cant snap.   Thats 2-3 people who need to be replaced for 2019.

On defense Mac has found/drafted competent players in williamson, lee, anderson, shepphard, maye and clairborne and has found/drafted 2 players who should be excellent NFL starters in Adams and Leo.  Does our coach do anything with these players?  Nope - he has an athletic DT like Leo occupying blockers and a coverage team that allowed jacksonville to run the same play 10 times in one game, each time for a big gain.  Look at the detroit game - when this defense actually was in sync from a play calling standpoint they physically dominated, yet the team is NEVER in sync nor do we adjust to what teams do.   Put one edge rusher out there with this group along with a competent DC and its a top 10 unit in the NFL.

Todd Bowles is the reason this team stinks.  He preaches a conservative gameplan like its 1985 and it seeps into the players psyches and we come out flat.  We dont play aggressively, we dont make adjustments and we have zero scheme creativity on either side of the ball.  The organization needs a young, smart HC who can develop and offense around Sam that fits the 2019 NFL and who can bring in a veteran DC to get the max out of the defensive resources the team has acquired

While I agree with your general premise I don't think the defense (even with a PR) is a top 10 yet. Yes, a proper coach can make a real difference and there is some talent there, but one problem we have is we tend to over value our players (or call them busts). I agree that we have some pieces on offense, but this is clearly the weakest side of the ball; bad OL, limited weapons, and a rookie QB is a bad combination, but then again, I agree, our coaches coach to scheme not players. We take a rookie QB who is mobile with a good arm and play him as if he was a game manager (which btw requires a lot of NFL experience). There are plenty of other examples. This team is better than the way the play, but still needs more talent.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan surviving while Bowles gets fired certainly convinces me that this whole time Bowles was really above Maccagnan in the hierarchy, bossed the GM around, made all the bad draft picks, and forced Macc into any/all of the bad FA pickups. Bowles was also the one working the phones to bang out trades with other teams' GMs, and he was the one who nixed any potentially beneficial trades we didn't make. 

Sorry, I don't buy your conclusion. Bowles was terrible. As BCJet pointed out, he is way too conservative, he doesn't adapt to the player or the scheme/players on the other team, and he acts like he believes that we are indeed playing in 1985. If we wanted a HC that was playing like it was the 80s, I would prefer the clown over Bowles. At least he got us 2 AFCC games (although he was better with Vets than young players). Bowles had plenty of time to prove he could grow as a coach. He ran out of people to throw under the bus. Everyone saw this, which is why finding a new OC last year was such a problem - He should have been gone last year.

Mac gets a pass IMO because - the owners agreed to a 3 year rebuild 2 years ago, his drafting has gotten better (I hope that it just isn't an fluke), he has had success trading (up to #3 and Anderson), managed the cap well enough to have 100 million available (even with some bad/really bad signings especially when he took over), and finally he drafted what is likely our franchise QB.

30 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2. See number 1

1. It is not possible to overhaul an O line in one off-season. You can plus in maybe one guy, and he's not going to be much better than average and will cost you more than his actual value (which is why his team let him walk in UFA).

2. See 1. It's not possible to re-tool and O line in one draft. Having no 2d round pick is not helpful.

3. Who do you have in mind and how? I'm pretty sure: "Get a #1 WR" is on many team's wish lists.

4. What do you get for Leo? Who replaces him?

5. Agree here. Bell will be pedestrian RB behind the Jets for $hit O line. BTW,  Mawae was not "found in the wild". He was a highly coveted Free Agent who wanted out of Seattle and many teams wanted to sign him. Mawae only signed with the Jets because Parcells convinced him (while flashing his SB rings) that he was building a team to win a superbowl. What's Mac gonna flash to impress the yet unnamed great O lineman you believe will hit free agency?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Good to see a few in here aren't blind to what's been going on.

Maccagnan surviving while Bowles gets fired certainly convinces me that this whole time Bowles was really above Maccagnan in the hierarchy, bossed the GM around, made all the bad draft picks, and forced Macc into any/all of the bad FA pickups. Bowles was also the one working the phones to bang out trades with other teams' GMs, and he was the one who nixed any potentially beneficial trades we didn't make. 

Luckily Chris Johnson saw through this, and has given Maccagnan a promotion to GM Actually For Real This Time after 4 years of doing nothing but take marching orders from Bowles.

I love how the few draft picks that haven't busted were evidence of Macc's smarts, and all the rest are because Bowles was putting his thumb on the scales. Obviously Bowles was the one who really wanted Christian Hackenberg. We now know the truth.

Bowles also demanded we make no OL or RB picks in the first 4 draft rounds over these past 4 years because he doesn't like running the football.

The REAL real rebuild begins next year. 

Maccagnan surviving and Bowles getting fired means that the owners are as dopey as the fanbase, thinking that this mess is, for the most part, a one person problem, and fixable with one change.

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd be ok with Bell if the contract was front loaded for the first two years, but I don't even want to discuss Bell if we still have Spencer Long as our starting center.

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The top candidates can afford to wait a year, and may have multiple offers.

Despite the resources, we are undeniably the least attractive job under these circumstances.

We should all be praying that Darnold gets back to playing like he was early on b/c that'll attract some big names. 

I’m not a fan of Bowles and want him fired. I don’t understand how Macc escapes unscathed from this debacle. There are plenty of things wrong with Bowles coaching style and we see the poor planning and decisions on s weekly basis. What we don’t see is the poor job that Macc has done providing his head coach with players.
I know I go back a few years but Casey Stengel won 7 World Series in 12 years as Yankee Manager and got fired because
Bill Mazeroski hit a walk off HR
in the bottom of the 9 th inning
of the 7 th game.
2 years later he lost 120 games as Mets manager. The difference is / was the players.
Macc has not been able to pick or sign players that can play. And until the owners come to that same conclusion we are just cutting bait.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It may not seem like it, but that is actually good news. At least the structure will no longer be dysfunctional and candidates won't be afraid to interview because they know they will have a fair amount of time.  It also precludes the idiotic consultant set up.

it's a better structure but it relies an awful lot on macs ability to pick a new coach.  if his draft picks are any indication then watch out.  on the other hand mac probably should have a pretty good feel for the good coaches available.  i guess there is a chance that bill obrien might be on the short list.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's a better structure but it relies an awful lot on macs ability to pick a new coach.  if his draft picks are any indication then watch out.  on the other hand mac probably should have a pretty good feel for the good coaches available.  i guess there is a chance that bill obrien might be on the short list.

But again which would rather a) Mac picks the HC or b) the Johnson's pick a GM

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

But again which would rather a) Mac picks the HC or b) the Johnson's pick a GM

i here you but at least woody hired a bunch of people who should know when he hired both of these guys.  of the two choices maybe mac is the better choice.  one thing for sure, how the next coach goes so goes mac.

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2. See number 1

Unfortunately, a lot of this is a pipe dream and o-line will not be available in free agency. We are screwed. A smart GM would trade back finally and accumulate extra picks to help throw everything possible at o-line,WR and RB. If Mac is brought back, none of this speculating matters.

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1. It is not possible to overhaul an O line in one off-season. You can plus in maybe one guy, and he's not going to be much better than average and will cost you more than his actual value (which is why his team let him walk in UFA).

2. See 1. It's not possible to re-tool and O line in one draft. Having no 2d round pick is not helpful.

3. Who do you have in mind and how? I'm pretty sure: "Get a #1 WR" is on many team's wish lists.

5. Agree here. Bell will be pedestrian RB behind the Jets for $hit O line. BTW,  Mawae was not "found in the wild". He was a highly coveted Free Agent who wanted out of Seattle and many teams wanted to sign him. Mawae only signed with the Jets because Parcells convinced him (while flashing his SB rings) that he was building a team to win a superbowl. What's Mac gonna flash to impress the yet unnamed great O lineman you believe will hit free agency?

1. When you have over 100,000,000 in cap space and six draft picks, it's not only possible. but feasible. The Jets have a high draft pick which can be turned into multiple picks, or a stud offensive lineman. A GM that drafted  bookend safeties might do the same at OL. It's not unreasonable to draft 3 offensive lineman in a single draft. I have no problem with that, at all. 

2.Three new offensive linemen would qualify as a major overhaul  I don't know who will be available in 2019, but there are always a few surprise cuts after the draft. 

3. I didn't say that I was a scout or an expert in player acquisition. That is why it would change my opinion of Macc if HE was able to acquire one. Antonio Brown was 195th player drafted. Tyreek Hill was drafted at 165. Those are just two examples of how Macc could conceivably find a number 1 WR in the draft. Yes, I understand that most teams are looking for WR help. 

4. I can see the Jets getting a 2, and a conditional pick. Maybe even a 3 and a conditional pick. I don't know who replaces him. I want to see who Macc gets. Remember, my post is about what would change my mind about Macc, and not what I would do, or want to do.

5. A free agent is what I consider "in the wild." Let's not get into an argument about my verbiage. He was available and we got him.  Again, my point was about being ok with overpaying for an OL. Money talks and you what walks. 

These are the types of moves I would like to see to regain faith in Macc. If he continues on the same exact path as the last four years, my opinion that he needs to be canned will not change. 

37 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1. You can't?  So why try?  Of course you can replace more than one guy.  They added 3 guys from 1997 to 1998.  3 from 2005 to 2006 and another 2 from 2007 to 2008.  Look at the Rams 2016 to 2017.  That line was so bad in 2016 they made Gurley look pedestrian.  Look at them now.  Besides, one player can make a huge difference.  You do have to pick the right player.

2.  See 1.  Yes, no 2nd round pick not helpful.  Whoop-de-damn doo.

3. I agree that it is not easy.  Neither is retooling the offensive line. Both are necessary though.  Personally, I would concentrate on upgrading the position and let the #1 designation fall where it may.

4.  Who will replace his 3 sacks?  It is the problem with the player.  Henry Anderson at $3-4M is a better move than Williams at $14M.  What will Grady Jarrett get?  Don't get in another Wilkerson situation.  He did a better job with Richardson, let's keep that momentum. 

5. Pedestrian?  That still might be an upgrade.  I think you sell Bell's receiving way short.  I haven't really studied him or what he'll get, but it is the type of player that you spend on.  I would probably be out because I am by nature cheap, but we need weapons.

Pretty sure that what Parcells flashed at Mawae was dolla dolla bill y'all.  It is the same thing Maccagnan is going to flash. CREAM. 

18 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Unfortunately, a lot of this is a pipe dream and o-line will not be available in free agency. We are screwed. A smart GM would trade back finally and accumulate extra picks to help throw everything possible at o-line,WR and RB. If Mac is brought back, none of this speculating matters.

Based on his draft history, I have no choice but to agree. I'm just interested to see how he deals with selecting his HC, and drafting players based on the scheme of the new coaching staff. If we're going to be stuck with Macc, might as well temper our expectations, but remain positive that he learns from his mistakes. 

I haven't read all the posts as its kind of a long thread now but how does this surprise anyone?

Simply put they were not going to let Mac go because he just drafted the teams franchise QB. That buys him a year. Fortunately it won't buy another year for Bowles. 

Mac hasn't drafted well, this is very true but I think he is getting better at this. Even though Shepard is not making impact plays, he is doing ok for a third round pick in his first year. He isn't making stupid mistakes. Herndon looks like he might be the first legit TE this team has drafted since Mickey Shuler, and for a 6th round pick, Cannon is at least contributing some. That isn't bad for one draft. 

I really think Mac should be judge on this years FA class and draft. He needs to get an impact WR or edge rusher in the draft and get OL from FA. 

As far as him picking the HC, I don't think anyone is going to care he is the GM doing it. Other than that, there is no difference if it is Mac or Colbert from the Steelers, it's the Jets. I think having Darnold will attract a good HC who want's to make him a star. Will see. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I haven't read all the posts as its kind of a long thread now but how does this surprise anyone?

Simply put they were not going to let Mac go because he just drafted the teams franchise QB. That buys him a year. Fortunately it won't buy another year for Bowles. 

Mac hasn't drafted well, this is very true but I think he is getting better at this. Even though Shepard is not making impact plays, he is doing ok for a third round pick in his first year. He isn't making stupid mistakes. Herndon looks like he might be the first legit TE this team has drafted since Mickey Shuler, and for a 6th round pick, Cannon is at least contributing some.  Add in Darnold and that isn't bad for one draft. 

I really think Mac should be judge on this years FA class and draft. He needs to get an impact WR or edge rusher in the draft and get OL from FA. 

As far as him picking the HC, I don't think anyone is going to care he is the GM doing it. Other than that, there is no difference if it is Mac or Colbert from the Steelers, it's the Jets. I think having Darnold will attract a good HC who want's to make him a star. Will see. 

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

1. When you have over 100,000,000 in cap space and six draft picks, it's not only possible. but feasible. The Jets have a high draft pick which can be turned into multiple picks, or a stud offensive lineman. A GM that drafted  bookend safeties might do the same at OL. It's not unreasonable to draft 3 offensive lineman in a single draft. I have no problem with that, at all. 

2.Three new offensive linemen would qualify as a major overhaul  I don't know who will be available in 2019, but there are always a few surprise cuts after the draft. 

3. I didn't say that I was a scout or an expert in player acquisition. That is why it would change my opinion of Macc if HE was able to acquire one. Antonio Brown was 195th player drafted. Tyreek Hill was drafted at 165. Those are just two examples of how Macc could conceivably find a number 1 WR in the draft. Yes, I understand that most teams are looking for WR help. 

4. I can see the Jets getting a 2, and a conditional pick. Maybe even a 3 and a conditional pick. I don't know who replaces him. I want to see who Macc gets. Remember, my post is about what would change my mind about Macc, and not what I would do, or want to do.

5. A free agent is what I consider "in the wild." Let's not get into an argument about my verbiage. He was available and we got him.  Again, my point was about being ok with overpaying for an OL. Money talks and you what walks. 

These are the types of moves I would like to see to regain faith in Macc. If he continues on the same exact path as the last four years, my opinion that he needs to be canned will not change. 

1. If it is so "feasable", can you name 3 or 4 teams that have overhauled their O line in one season.  I can't.

2. Once again. If you think it is so easy to draft multiple starting O lineman in one draft, please name the teams that have done so.

3. LOL. But I guess based on Mac's track record of drafting WRs, you would say he's due.

4. Why trade Williams for a second round pick when you do not even have a replacement. Will you be using the 2d round pick to find the replacement? Or is Mac going to find a starting DE in the 5th round?

5.  Have you looked at the list of Unrestricted Free Agent Linemen for 2019? Do you know who the starting O lineman are who are likely to not be re-signed by their current team. I have.  Don't take my word for it, here's what Greg Rosenthal has to say about it:

It's still thin as hell on the OL

The best prospective left tackles -- Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan and Duane Brown -- all signed contracts as camp began. The next-best tackle, second-team All-Pro Panthers RT Daryl Williams, suffered a serious knee injury to open camp. He's expected to head to injured reserve.

There simply aren't any tackles to spend big money on. The Rams have three starting linemen set for free agency and guard Shaq Mason is one of many key Patriots starters entering a contract year, but it's become increasingly rare for a plus starter on the offensive line to reach the market. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000946100/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-preview-fine-crop-of-dlinemen-safeties

6 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

He can't make ex-offensive coordinators the scape goat for a draft bust. That is a lame attempt to deflect responsibility. Mike Maccagnan has a draft board, and he had to have had ArDarius Stewart ranked close to that selection in order for him to be swayed by John Morton to select him. Bottom line Mac's the GM, and he's most responsible for the selections. 

HACKENBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree. I've been saying this for awhile and @Doggin94it made this point in his off-season plan thread, but man, I think we've been using Leo wrong. Use his elite athleticism as a 3 tech DT that penetrates and disrupts. 1 gap responsibility instead of this read and react occupy blockers 2 gap role. I think you see a jump.

He already is playing more three technique rather than 5 tech right now.....game in and game out. Everyone that thinks he's playing 5 tech almost exclusively is wrong. Just watch were he lines up every game.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

HACKENBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what , he got us Darnold we should be thankful for that .

Plus what about GM's who took Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf , Andre Ware , Davis Carr , Jeff George all in the 1st round !!!

The draft is like playing the lottery, sometimes you get lucky enough to win big , but most times you lose.  No team and I repeat no team drafts well all the time . 

19 hours ago, Pac said:

I always assumed Bowles played a heavy part in a lot of these draft decisions.  It was an idiotic way for Woody to structure the hierarchy.  I look forward to seeing what happens with an offensive minded coach and a GM who doesn't need to need a coaches buy in on every draft choice.

The lucky sperm brothers have never worked in or around an actual business in their life. It makes sense they’d build their org structure like two kids playing make believe pirate ship in a treehouse in the backyard.

Archived