Miscellaneous Jets Draft News

sec101row23

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-high-caliber-wr-ot-options-for-jets-as-they-build-around-sam-darnold/

NFL Draft 2019: High-caliber WR, OT options for Jets as they build around Sam Darnold

Let's pinpoint first-round pick candidates for the Gang Green as they'll attempt to construct a quality roster around No. 3 overall selection Sam Darnold, who'll only be 22 when next season begins.

Potential first-round picks 

If the draft were today, the Jets would have the No. 5 pick. With two games against Tom Brady sandwiching contests against the TitansPackers, and Texans along with a road trip to Buffalo, it'll be surprising if New York ends the year with more than five wins. So, holding a selection in the No. 4 overall to No. 7 overall range seems the most likely.  

(A vital caveat: The Jets are in line to have $95.5M in cap space next year, per OverTheCap.com, so some (or most?) of their roster building may come on the free-agent market. But nothing's more valuable than hitting on an early draft pick, so for the time being, let's evaluate their biggest needs and fill them with draft choices.)

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Williams is currently my No. 2 overall prospect because he's proven to be a dominant player in the SEC and the team that drafts him won't have to hope for technical development. He's about as pro-ready as it gets, from his kick-slide in pass protection to the timing and accuracy of his "punch" and the ability to thwart counter moves with relative ease. 

Size and length are nice luxuries for the offensive tackle position, not concrete necessities. Williams will be viewed as a guard by some teams. I think he can be a high-level starter at left tackle early in his career. Kelvin Beachum is under contract through 2019, but it'd be prudent for the Jets to plan ahead at that spot. Even if Williams starts his pro career on the right side -- like he did at Alabama -- that'd work. One more thing ... outstanding pass-rushers align everywhere in today's NFL. Even if Williams is ultimately a guard in New York, the Jets will be happy to have him. 

Other option at same position: Greg Little, Ole Miss

A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

Both Quincy Enunwa and Jermaine Kearse are impending free agents, and even if they were set to return or are re-signed by Gang Green this offseason ... Darnold needs a talent infusion in his receiver group. While he's battled injuries, Robby Anderson has been productive when on the field, and he's predominantly a perimeter wideout. 

Brown flourished mainly in the slot in 2017 and for the first half of this year before moving around more following the season-ending injury to his teammate D.K. Metcalf. At 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds with running-back like skills after the catch, strong hands, and impressive ball skills, Brown would be an instant best friend of Darnold over the middle and in the short-to-intermediate portions of the field. Unless he disappoints at the combine, the Ole Miss star should be in play for the Jets in the first round. 

Other option at same position: N'Keal HarryArizona State

Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky

If they Jets are picking outside of the top 3, Nick Bosa probably won't be there. And they have a gigantic need on the edge. Huge. Jordan Jenkins has given New York underrated contributions this season but isn't an "alpha" rusher for the long-term. 

How the Jets address the edge-rusher spot will likely depend on scheme, which could change if Todd Bowles is fired at the end of the year, which right now seems likely. If the next head coach wants a defense with 3-4 principles, Allen should be considered in Round 1. He's a stand-up outside linebacker with an impressively versatile skill set. Allen's very comfortable and effective in coverage and has a lot of juice flying around the corner. If the Jets want more of a "classic" 4-3 defensive end, Clemson's Clelin Ferrell, a long-armed 6-5, 265-pounder, would make more sense. Neither Allen nor Ferrell are masters with their hands but both possess the high-caliber athleticism and motors to become No. 1 pass-rushers on their team in the NFL. 

Other option at same position: Zach AllenBoston College

Potential non-Round 1 sleepers

Yodny Cajuste, OT, West VirginiaAt 6-5 and a somewhat chiseled 322 pounds, Cajuste looks the part of an athletic NFL left tackle. He has light feet that allow him to mirror pass-rushers and long arms to keep them off his frame. He's had plenty of experience in pass protection and thrives in that area because of his athleticism, fundamentally sound work his hands, and a good amount of anchoring strength. Cajuste has routinely displayed a mean streak as a run-blocker too. It'd be a great get for the Jets to land him at the top of Round 2. 

Emanuel Hall, WR, MissouriHall is going to be one of the fastest receivers at the combine ... and he's listed at 6-3 and 195 pounds. He's an absolute burner on the field and has some wiggle in space on catches at the intermediate level. Hall and Anderson would formulate a dynamic deep-threat duo for Darnold, which would give safeties fits for a while and take an extra defender out of the box. Hall should go sometime on Day 2. 

Ben Banogu, EDGE, TCULike Allen, Banogu leans on explosive athletic movements more than refined hand usage at the point of attack. But at 6-4 and 250 pounds with what looks like long limbs, Banogu could be a problem for offensive tackles at the next level, and he already plays the run well because of a strong edge-setting skills. The Jets would add an experienced, athletic player to their pass-rushing group at good value if they got him somewhere from the second to fourth round. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-high-caliber-wr-ot-options-for-jets-as-they-build-around-sam-darnold/

Yodny Cajuste, OT, West VirginiaAt 6-5 and a somewhat chiseled 322 pounds, Cajuste looks the part of an athletic NFL left tackle. He has light feet that allow him to mirror pass-rushers and long arms to keep them off his frame. He's had plenty of experience in pass protection and thrives in that area because of his athleticism, fundamentally sound work his hands, and a good amount of anchoring strength. Cajuste has routinely displayed a mean streak as a run-blocker too. It'd be a great get for the Jets to land him at the top of Round 2. 

It'd be particularly great since the Jets do not have a pick in Round 2, at the top or otherwise.

15 hours ago, maury77 said:

@sec101row23, I'm not a fan of AJ Brown in the top 10 (I think he has a skill set similar to Enunwa). On a somewhat related topic, what do you think the Jets should tender Robby Anderson as? I've grown intrigued by giving him a second round tender so we can just pick up the extra pick. 

Agree about Brown, not a fan of taking him that high.  

I think they should definitely tag Andersen with a second.  Worst case you keep him at around $3 million for next year.   Best case someone takes him for a 2nd rounder.  Doubt anyone will give up the pick for him though.  

I think there's a 80% chance our eventual pick is in that group of names he mentioned.  I could see the Jets slide back a couple spots but it's still the same likely set of position players - OT, Passrusher, WR.

Depending on the coaching staff next year we may end up in either a 3-4 or 4-3.  If we have a 4-3 Defensive Coordinator then getting a pass rushing DE is an absolute must and Darron Lee may slide to Weakside OLB.  That said, I'd have a hard time passing up a franchise LT if he's there.

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think there's a 80% chance our eventual pick is in that group of names he mentioned.  I could see the Jets slide back a couple spots but it's still the same likely set of position players - OT, Passrusher, WR.

Depending on the coaching staff next year we may end up in either a 3-4 or 4-3.  If we have a 4-3 Defensive Coordinator then getting a pass rushing DE is an absolute must and Darron Lee may slide to Weakside OLB.  That said, I'd have a hard time passing up a franchise LT if he's there.

I don't give a damn about pass rush (at least not in the 2019 draft).  There should be options in FA to add a guy to get after the QB.  This draft, IMO, should be all about putting Sam in a position to succeed.  Jonah Williams or Greg Little to protect Sam's blindside for the next 10 years in the first.  Then there should be some WR/RB options in the 3rd.  Or double dip and add another lineman with one of our 3s. 

Weapons and OL in the draft.  But no more Hansen/Stewart/Devin Smith picks.  NO more waiiting until R5 for OL or R6 for RB.  If Macc is gonna be back, then he has to get this offseason right and build around Sam.  Stud OT in R1.  And hit on some good offensive players on day 2.  Nothing else matters as far as I am concerned.  Offense, offense and more offense.

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't give a damn about pass rush (at least not in the 2019 draft).  There should be options in FA to add a guy to get after the QB.  This draft, IMO, should be all about putting Sam in a position to succeed.  Jonah Williams or Greg Little to protect Sam's blindside for the next 10 years in the first.  Then there should be some WR/RB options in the 3rd.  Or double dip and add another lineman with one of our 3s. 

Weapons and OL in the draft.  But no more Hansen/Stewart/Devin Smith picks.  NO more waiiting until R5 for OL or R6 for RB.  If Macc is gonna be back, then he has to get this offseason right and build around Sam.  Stud OT in R1.  And hit on some good offensive players on day 2.  Nothing else matters as far as I am concerned.  Offense, offense and more offense.

Agree one million percent.  There are 10 f***ing offensive players currently on the roster for next year.  5 skill position players.  There needs to be an entire turnover of the offense and free agent dollars aren’t going to do it alone.   

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree one million percent.  There are 10 f***ing offensive players currently on the roster for next year.  5 skill position players.  There needs to be an entire turnover of the offense and free agent dollars aren’t going to do it alone.   

Here you go, Sam.  You got Mcguire, Cannon, Crowell and Peake coming back.  Plus Leggett and Herndon.  And 4 starters from a below average OL.  Now go out there and win games, kid

Could we have possibly put a rookie QB in a worse position to succeed.  He has not played well; I have been disappointed in his play this season.  But I am not really surprised.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Here you go, Sam.  You got Mcguire, Cannon, Crowell and Peake coming back.  Plus Leggett and Herndon.  And 4 starters from a below average OL.  Now go out there an win games, kid

Could we have possibly put a rookie QB in a worse position to succeed.  He has not played well; I have been disappointed in his play this season.  But I am not really surprised.

You can’t be that surprised given the supporting cast.  Throw in some very questionable coaching and you have a horrible situation for a rookie QB, especially one as young as Darnold.  

On 11/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, maury77 said:

@sec101row23, I'm not a fan of AJ Brown in the top 10 (I think he has a skill set similar to Enunwa). On a somewhat related topic, what do you think the Jets should tender Robby Anderson as? I've grown intrigued by giving him a second round tender so we can just pick up the extra pick. 

I was thinking about Anderson too. I'd tender him as a 2nd, maybe a 3rd. The eagles called and tried to trade us for Anderson before the deadline, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to think a team may want him.

Too bad we can't get this offense to throw the ball downfield to him like last season. 

On 11/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, NYDreamer said:
4: R1P4

OT JONAH WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
68: R3P4

RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
95: R3P31

G NATE HERBIG
STANFORD
106: R4P4

EDGE JOE JACKSON
MIAMI
143: R5P4

C JON BAKER
BOSTON COLLEGE
220: R7P4

LB KENDALL JOSEPH
CLEMSON

I'm just curious but who else was available where you took Bryce Love? If you can remember. I am not a huge fan of the Love pick there.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I was thinking about Anderson too. I'd tender him as a 2nd, maybe a 3rd. The eagles called and tried to trade us for Anderson before the deadline, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to think a team may want him.

Too bad we can't get this offense to throw the ball downfield to him like last season. 

There is no such thing as a "3rd round tender."  You can tender him at a 1st, 2nd or original round.  Anderson was an UDFA, so your options are 1st, or 2nd.  I think the low tender would still allow them to match an offer sheet.  Figure $4.5M for a 1st round tender or $3M for a 2nd. 

On 11/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, #27TheDominator said:

There is no such thing as a "3rd round tender."  You can tender him at a 1st, 2nd or original round.  Anderson was an UDFA, so your options are 1st, or 2nd.  I think the low tender would still allow them to match an offer sheet.  Figure $4.5M for a 1st round tender or $3M for a 2nd. 

Sign Enunwa, tender Robby with a 2nd rounder for $3M and hope that someone signs him.  Then hit FA for a WR2 type talent (Funchess, etc.) and come back in the Draft to pick a young WR in Round 2 using the tender pick from Robby.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Sign Enunwa, tender Robby with a 2nd rounder for $3M and hope that someone signs him.  Then hit FA for a WR2 type talent (Funchess, etc.) and come back in the Draft to pick a young WR in Round 2 using the tender pick from Robby.

I would take Anderson over Funchos.  Especially when you consider the price disparity.  I think fans overvalue Funches.  He is a WR2 talent, but we generally don't find WR2 talent acceptable. 

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would take Anderson over Funchos.  Especially when you consider the price disparity.  I think fans overvalue Funches.  He is a WR2 talent, but we generally don't find WR2 talent acceptable. 

Fair point, but I think I'd take Funchess and a 2nd round pick over Anderson.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:33 PM, #27TheDominator said:

It'd be particularly great since the Jets do not have a pick in Round 2, at the top or otherwise.

Trade Adams. Leo Or Lee for a 2nd rounder. You’d be fortunate to get a 2nd for either. All three of those hasbeens are close to getting new contracts which they don’t deserve. Get something, anything for them now. What’s more imperative at this point. . -  An OT that can solidify a weak, meager OL or keeping a box safety that’s really underperformed, a tiny weenie LB that constantly gets run over. a DT that has basically been invisible. Not rocket ? science.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-first-top-32-littered-with-defensive-linemen-wide-receivers/

2019 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings: First Top 32 littered with defensive linemen, wide receivers

You're going to want your team to pick a defensive lineman or wide receiver early in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Just about every top defensive line prospect met or exceeded the hype this season, and we even saw some previously overlooked prospects rise from relative obscurity.

At the receiver spot, a rather large collection of tall, big-bodied high-pointers thrived this year, and there's a small but electric pass-catcher available too, if that's what your team needs for its offense.

You've read analysis on the top 20 prospects each week this season, so with this being the debut of my top 32 Big Board for the 2019 NFL Draft, I'll provide analysis on prospects currently slotted in spots No. 21 - No. 32 (or any prospects I didn't include in a top 20 during the season).

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

2. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama 

3. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU 

4. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston 

5. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

6. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

7. N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State 

8. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson 

9. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

10. Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State

11. Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State 

12. Zach Allen, EDGE/DL, Boston College

13. Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson 

14. Ben Burr-Kirven, LB, Washington   

15. Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State

16. Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky

17. Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame 

18. JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

19. Jeffrey Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

20. D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

It's been a while since I've written on Metcalf, because it's been a while since he's seen the football field. He suffered a season-ending neck injury against Arkansas on October 13 but did recently declare for the draft. At 6-4 and 225 pounds with a sculpted body and frightening speed down the field, Metcalf is the prototypical "matchup nightmare" for opposing defenses. There's some elusiveness to his game too. He can beat press at the end and create a bit after the catch.

PAID CONTENT BY JOHN HANCOCKPlan for AmazingRookies Saquon Barkley and Phillip Lindsay have a plan for retirement. What’s yours?

21. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

Murphy is just a redshirt sophomore, but he might be the twitchiest cornerback in the nation and is seemingly a half-step ahead of everybody else on the field because of lightning-quick play-recognition skills. He racked up four picks and 13 pass breakups this season. The only real knock on Murphy is his lack of size. He's listed at 5-foot-11, 182 pounds.

22. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

23. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma

Brown made a few appearances in the top 20, but let's update things. Brown is not a gadget slot receiver. He's a lot more than that. I went into detail on that topic here. He's run a variety of routes relative to what we see from most wideouts in the Big 12. He has reliable hands in traffic for a small receiver and, of course, is a lightning bolt down the field and after the catch. Brown's won on the outside at Oklahoma too. 

24. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama 

25. Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida

26. Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

Oruwariye is a long, rangy outside cornerback who looks the part of an athletic freak with his plant-and-drive capabilities, long speed, and vertical. I think he's going to be a combine standout at 6-1 and 203 pounds and start on the perimeter for an NFL team in 2019.

27. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss 

28. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri 

If you checked out my latest QB Stock Watch, you already know Lock finished the regular season as my top quarterback. He has a huge arm, is decently impressive moving inside the pocket, and throws well on the run. His accuracy issues are somewhat overblown. But he tends to make some bad decisions each game and occasionally get can locked onto his first read. 

29. Devin White, LB, LSU 

White plays with his hair on fire at 6-1 and 240 pounds and drips athleticism with every movement. His supreme physical skills get him into position to make big plays often. His instincts keep him from making more plays, and he's not the most reliable tackler. As a blitzer, White routinely creates havoc. He has middle linebacker size but weakside linebacker speed and change-of-direction ability.

30. Anthony Johnson, WR, Buffalo 

31. Oshane Ximines, EDGE, Old Dominion

Ximines has been essentially unblockable for Old Dominion, as he has 32 tackles for loss and 20 sacks over the past two seasons. At 6-4 and 255 pounds, he has NFL edge-rusher size and is a fluid athlete although he's not super bendy around the corner. His greatest strength is his hand work. He consistently deploys an array of efficient maneuvers to beat offensive linemen at the point of attack and can convert speed to power. 

32. Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Hall is 6-1 and 200 pounds and led the country with 20 pass breakups this season. His incredibly disruptive season in coverage was thanks to his long arms, stellar instincts, and enough athleticism to stay near the football often. I don't know if he's going to test through the roof at the combine, but this is a heady outside corner with impressive length. 

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Kyler Murray decides to play football where does he stand as a prospect? 

Would have to be QB1, right? I’ve watched Herbert a few times this year and got a Tannehill vibe from him each time. Doesn’t seem to have a plan for the ball.

53 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t even think he would get drafted. Maybe someone would take a late round flyer on him, but I kinda doubt it.

His future is in baseball

If he decides to play football he's definitely getting drafted,

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would have to be QB1, right? I’ve watched Herbert a few times this year and got a Tannehill vibe from him each time. Doesn’t seem to have a plan for the ball.

No reason why the Jets shouldnt have a front row seat for the Alabama game. Tua/Murray in the event Darnold bombs out these last 4.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

At this vpoint I don't think there's a pure #1. That will change with the combine. Consensus is that this draft class is not as strong as last years.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

At this vpoint I don't think there's a pure #1. That will change with the combine. Consensus is that this draft class is not as strong as last years.

It’s a pretty bad QB draft IMO.  I wouldn’t feel good about taking any of these kids in the top 10.   

Archived