2019 Yankees

Maxman

What a remarkable season thus far. Boone deserves a lot of credit keeping them going through all the injuries and now the stars are carrying them again while more reinforcements are on the way.

As an aside, is there a more perplexing star athlete in NY than Gary Sanchez? How could he be so good this year & prior to last year and so putrid last year?

• Upvote 2

Fun Sanchez fact, his slugging % on fastballs is something otherwordly like 1.095, which is ~260 points better than the next guy, JD Martinez. I think the key is this, last year, he was injured and swinging at terrible pitches. This year, he's controlling the strike zone and getting into fastball counts and just f*cking demolishing pitchers. 

And while his defense has been suspect, his pop time is 1.95 and one of this throws was 1.87 the other day which essentially shut down the Rays run game. For baseline, anything under 2.0 is fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Fun Sanchez fact, his slugging % on fastballs is something otherwordly like 1.095, which is ~260 points better than the next guy, JD Martinez. I think the key is this, last year, he was injured and swinging at terrible pitches. This year, he's controlling the strike zone and getting into fastball counts and just f*cking demolishing pitchers. 

And while his defense has been suspect, his pop time is 1.95 and one of this throws was 1.87 the other day which essentially shut down the Rays run game. For baseline, anything under 2.0 is fantastic. 

It's what is frustrating.  He has a GREAT arm.   Not good, great.

Last year, he was hurt, a lot.  It also seemed like he was not giving good effort, just a total mess.   Maybe he needed a wakeup call.  

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's what is frustrating.  He has a GREAT arm.   Not good, great.

Last year, he was hurt, a lot.  It also seemed like he was not giving good effort, just a total mess.   Maybe he needed a wakeup call.  

It did. And part of me wonders is if it was the same thing that plagued Robbie Cano when he was struggling. He made things look so effortless that when he didn’t produce, which wasn’t often, people assumed he was dogging it. Don’t think we’ll ever know for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

It did. And part of me wonders is if it was the same thing that plagued Robbie Cano when he was struggling. He made things look so effortless that when he didn’t produce, which wasn’t often, people assumed he was dogging it. Don’t think we’ll ever know for sure. 

Exactly.   Was he not trying 100%, or was his groin that bad, and he was just trying to get through.   Very tough injury, it has to heal 100%, or you are just going to re injure it.

Regardless, this year has been fun.   I feel bad for saying it, but I enjoy watching Frazier out there, and don't miss Stanton.   The fact that Didi isn't even back yet, plus they have Severino and Montgomery coming back for the 2nd half.  

I also don't know how long German can go, he has to be on an innings limit, and I would think he will hit that by August.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Exactly.   Was he not trying 100%, or was his groin that bad, and he was just trying to get through.   Very tough injury, it has to heal 100%, or you are just going to re injure it.

Regardless, this year has been fun.   I feel bad for saying it, but I enjoy watching Frazier out there, and don't miss Stanton.   The fact that Didi isn't even back yet, plus they have Severino and Montgomery coming back for the 2nd half.  

I also don't know how long German can go, he has to be on an innings limit, and I would think he will hit that by August.

Can't forget Judge and Betances coming back also. What a group of reinforcements. And I hear Ellsbury is almost ready to take the precautionary full body cast of!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Brady's a catcher said:

Can't forget Judge and Betances coming back also. What a group of reinforcements. And I hear Ellsbury is almost ready to take the precautionary full body cast of!

Ellsbury’s vagina is healing?

On 5/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

What a great player

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, chirorob said:

With that bullpen it kind of makes sense, but Boone really believes in his starters going about 70-80 pitches, forget 100.

Just don't burn out that pen.

The Sux were getting to German it was the right move pulling him early

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, chirorob said:

I assume you feel worse for saying it after last night? 

On 6/3/2019 at 9:23 AM, chirorob said:

I meant the day before.  I agree, German was getting hit.

Took 2 of 3 from them, good weekend.

I was salivating for another sweep but can’t complain taking 4 out of 5 so far from the Sux and first place despite a million injuries

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I was salivating for another sweep but can’t complain taking 4 out of 5 so far from the Sux and first place despite a million injuries

Seriously can't complain. I think they will add Keuchel this week and should be in really good shape. Didi coming back, Stanton and Judge coming back. Hopefully they get a fresh Severino for the stretch run.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Seriously can't complain. I think they will add Keuchel this week and should be in really good shape. Didi coming back, Stanton and Judge coming back. Hopefully they get a fresh Severino for the stretch run.

Why? He isn't better than anybody they have starting now. They have plenty of ammo to trade for a much better starter down the road.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Why? He isn't better than anybody they have starting now. They have plenty of ammo to trade for a much better starter down the road.

He's better than Happ and CC. Germen is also on an innings limit. Severino we can't rely on. Signing Keuchel is a no brainer. Unless you're telling Scherzer is available, you won't get anyone better via trade. I'd prefer to keep the assets and sign Keuchel. 

• Upvote 2

Yanks odds on favorite to sign Keuchel, which is a no-brainer.  Yanks' rotation is 8th in MLB, but is hanging together by a string with so many health  question marks.

If they sign Keuchel, I don't think that takes them out of the running for making a trade for a front-line pitcher.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The only difference right now between the Mets and the Yankees is Brian Cashman. Hal Steinbrenner is a freaking bean counter. 

Keuchel for prorated one year was such a no brainer it's idiotic that they apparently got outbid by a million, especially since he really just needs to be a back-end option for German's innings limit and Paxton/CC injury risk.

But really, the Corbin non-signing in favor of Happ was the dumbest move that still is annoying.

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The only difference right now between the Mets and the Yankees is Brian Cashman. Hal Steinbrenner is a freaking bean counter. 

Cashman was 100% right passing on Keuchel. He will get a much better guy, trust me. As a lifelong Mets fan, would heartily disagree with the bolded type. I don't even know where to begin to try to refute that statement.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Cashman was 100% right passing on Keuchel. He will get a much better guy, trust me. As a lifelong Mets fan, would heartily disagree with the bolded type. I don't even know where to begin to try to refute that statement.

Well Stick Michael’s draft picks are the biggest difference right now

I wanted Keuchel.  I wonder when the Yankees are finally going to add some starting pitching it was supposed to happen each of the last two offseasons and didnt