I got scammed on tickets..looking for advice

InstantClassic

So a bit off topic..but I had been searching for tickets to see Lebron play the Magic in Orlando..and with tickets being high for a higher profile game I figured I’d do what I always do and wait last minute to grab some seats from someone who couldn’t make the game. I scoured TM resale, stubhub, and for some reason craigslist. I already knew that was a bad idea..but you do stupid things when trying to save a buck or two.

So anyway, someone posts tickets..I reach out via text (I felt a little more at ease since they have their number, turns out it’s probably a dead line or some google number or something). I ask if they take PayPal, he says no, takes too long for the money to post, and asks about Zelle. I’m new to zelle..used it a few times, never had any issues. I know zelle is linked to bank accounts, so I didn’t see the fraud coming. Again, all my fault here.

i send money, he tells me let me know when you get tickets..they never come..i then call the number and get a weird message like the number is rejected or something to that effect. 

So basically, sent $200 to someone who now vanished. They provided email to send zelle, and on my bank statement has a name of who the money went to. Could that name be fake? I’m assuming they have to be linking to a real bank account? Should I file a police report? Do I reach out to craigslist? I just don’t know what to do..and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could post me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Theft at this level is probably a Class A misdemeanor, maybe a year in jail (?)

If the game has come and gone, the police should be interested. There might be enough of a trail. I would consult them immediately (not 911, the regular number or a visit to the local prescient). Might be a chance of getting your $$$ back. 

I hope you get this guy 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, InstantClassic said:

So a bit off topic..but I had been searching for tickets to see Lebron play the Magic in Orlando..and with tickets being high for a higher profile game I figured I’d do what I always do and wait last minute to grab some seats from someone who couldn’t make the game. I scoured TM resale, stubhub, and for some reason craigslist. I already knew that was a bad idea..but you do stupid things when trying to save a buck or two.

So anyway, someone posts tickets..I reach out via text (I felt a little more at ease since they have their number, turns out it’s probably a dead line or some google number or something). I ask if they take PayPal, he says no, takes too long for the money to post, and asks about Zelle. I’m new to zelle..used it a few times, never had any issues. I know zelle is linked to bank accounts, so I didn’t see the fraud coming. Again, all my fault here.

i send money, he tells me let me know when you get tickets..they never come..i then call the number and get a weird message like the number is rejected or something to that effect. 

So basically, sent $200 to someone who now vanished. They provided email to send zelle, and on my bank statement has a name of who the money went to. Could that name be fake? I’m assuming they have to be linking to a real bank account? Should I file a police report? Do I reach out to craigslist? I just don’t know what to do..and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could post me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Tell Lebron to refund you. He can afford it .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived