Wow Alex Smith OMG his leg injury looks horrific.

Kleckineau

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m almost never on the side of the corporation but your comment is literally what is wrong with the game (and the world, but I’ll keep it to football).
to be clear, I’m not attacking you personally. Just the overall mindset to which you accurately outlined.

I’m all in for the players to get their money as the fat cats have been raking in the profits and screwing players for years and years. Good for them for what they received after the collective bargaining fight.
But here’s the issue with bell. The entire union and nfl fought through a hard negotiation for months (years of prep really) and came to an agreement. They placed agreed upon value toward each scenario that may come up in the season. The players can fall back on certain protections as can ownership.
The 14.5 mil is the value agreed upon by the player union and ownership and the nfl for an uncontracted franchise year at his position. It’s enough money that if something should happen, he is secure for the rest of his life. As much as I’m trying to pull it off, I most likely will never have a $14 mil year. Just for comparison and perspective. ?

Sure it makes sense from a purely financial standpoint. That’s the problem. We have these collective bargaining agreements taken care of so fans can watch a damn game. If you want to play in the nfl and reap the rewards that playing in the nfl can provide, you adhere to the rules that are in place. Don’t like it? Don’t play here. Bell has taken a crap on the entire process for the “what if” mindset when thinking about this in solely financial terms.

Now truth be told he is not playing so I get the potential come back. But....

Leveon bell has already agreed to being within this system And is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And he will want back in next year after his decision not to play this year.
He’s taken the system and said “I don’t care”. I’m going to do it my way because I want more money. I don’t care about the fans. I dont care about my teammates. I don’t care about the nfl that has made me a rich man. I don’t care that I’ve already played within the system and will want to again.
That’s BS !
If I want to work for AT&T I have to agree to the system. End of story.

We’re talking about football. The game has inherent risks. That’s the deal. We all know that. The teams take risks when they give these guys guaranteed contracts in the same way.

What we’re now watching is the allowance of the “business of football” to overtake the game of football. People talk about the nfl sucking because there are too many teams or whatever else. This is the real reason the nfl is losing viewers and respect. It’s because players like bell have allowed greed and what ifs to become more important than the game of football.

I am dead set against wanting him on the jets and if the nfl and it’s fans had a set of balls, the backlash toward someone bucking the hard fought and agreed upon system would be unified and severe.

But here we are. Seeing all the articles today justifying bells greedy choice because someone got hurt. The redskins and their fans will be unable to field a strong team moving forward because of the money owed to a guy who can’t play due to the guaranteed money and injury. Is that fair for them?
Who cares right? Who cares about the millions of people supporting a business that is supposed to bring us happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The only thing I agree with here is that I don't want him on the Jets. 

He is working within the system. One of his options under the system is to not report, and that's the option he chose. He's currently not under contract and feels he hasn't been offered a fair deal, so he's staying home. That's 100% his prerogative. More power to him. I hope he lands his fat contract next year, just not from the Jets.   

The only thing I agree with here is that I don't want him on the Jets. 
He is working within the system. One of his options under the system is to not report, and that's the option he chose. He's currently not under contract and feels he hasn't been offered a fair deal, so he's staying home. That's 100% his prerogative. More power to him. I hope he lands his fat contract next year, just not from the Jets.   

If he were to play within the design of the system he would accept the franchise tenure, Which is designed to pay him near the top of his position when a long term deal can not be reached.

What you support is someone saying I don’t care about the system the players association and the nfl have spent millions of dollars and years of time agreeing to. Someone who doesn’t care that organizations have built the team and made decisions based on his presence.
Someone who doesn’t care that the entire sport is predicated on fans investing in the team both emotionally and financially. Add to that their time and energy.

What you support is the individual overriding the whole which is quite literally against the basic tenets of the sport.
It’s this very mentality that is eroding the basic fabric and foundation of a team dependent business.
Erosion is slow. You have to identify it early before it’s a massive and potentially unfixable problem.
Pay attention to it or it will be bigger than can be addressed.

I’m happy to hear of your hopes for his success which will enable his selfishness to be adopted by even more players. What fun

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

If he were to play within the design of the system he would accept the franchise tenure, Which is designed to pay him near the top of his position when a long term deal can not be reached.

What you support is someone saying I don’t care about the system the players association and the nfl have spent millions of dollars and years of time agreeing to. Someone who doesn’t care that organizations have built the team and made decisions based on his presence.
Someone who doesn’t care that the entire sport is predicated on fans investing in the team both emotionally and financially. Add to that their time and energy.

What you support is the individual overriding the whole which is quite literally against the basic tenets of the sport.
It’s this very mentality that is eroding the basic fabric and foundation of a team dependent business.
Erosion is slow. You have to identify it early before it’s a massive and potentially unfixable problem.

I’m happy to hear of your hopes for his success which will enable his selfishness to be adopted by even more players. What fun

Part of the system involves him signing (or not signing) the franchise tender.  He elected not to sign it. 

You are acting like the NFLPA didn't sell the players short.   They did. Football is in a sh*tty position because they are generally faceless bodies with 3 year careers.  To ask the average rank and file player to pass up $1M and a season of their 3 year career will never be popular.  So the owners stand tall and to save each of those players that 1 year salary - the owners rake in extra millions.  Bell has acted 100% within the system.  You just don't like his actions.  If he didn't the Steelers could act to force his hand.  They can't.   They can't fine him and they really can't complain - their historic overuse of him last year is why he is sitting. 

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You're making a lot more out of it than there actually is.  

Bell is a singular talent playing an undervalued position. That position takes a huge amount of punishment, and the wrong injury stands between him getting $40M guaranteed, plus, next year or nothing. If he chose to play and got hurt in such a way, he would lose his only chance to cash in as a RB. It's like Revis, who I also supported getting every dime that he could get As an NFL 1%er, he can get away with it while the rest of the league can't. The Steelers tried to use (abuse?) the system to get the most out of Bell that they could for the least amount of money they could pay. He took a stand and said, no thanks. 

I understand your concerns and share some of them, which is why I don't want the Jets to be the team that gives him his big payday, but I fully support the player doing what he feels is in his own best interests. Much as I support freedom of speech even if I don't like what everyone has to say. He's exercising his rights within the rules of the system. 

It’s a job. His teammates are coworkers. His loyalty is to himself and his family. He is doing what he thinks is best for his long term career. We’ll see if it works out for the best. The problem is fans tend to look at it as more than this. We romanticize the game as if a player has some sort of responsibility to be loyal to the company, coworkers, and fans. They don’t at all, and nor should they. If he wasn’t as good as he is its not like the league, teammates, or fans would go out of their way to take care of him, so why on earth should he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the system involves him signing (or not signing) the franchise tender.  He elected not to sign it. 
You are acting like the NFLPA didn't sell the players short.   They did. Football is in a sh*tty position because they are generally faceless bodies with 3 year careers.  To ask the average rank and file player to pass up $1M and a season of their 3 year career will never be popular.  So the owners stand tall and to save each of those players that 1 year salary - the owners rake in extra millions.  Bell has acted 100% within the system.  You just don't like his actions.  If he didn't the Steelers could act to force his hand.  They can't.   They can't fine him and they really can't complain - their historic overuse of him last year is why he is sitting. 

I’m not so sure I agree with the nflpa sold anyone short. Except if you mean the emphasis on a lack of physically practicing Being what is leading to all the injuries etc. that I would agree with.

I do understand what you’re saying though. It’s funny how this goes. I do believe what I’m writing to be true of course, but on the other hand I am on the side of the players far more than I am ownership or with the nfl in general. It just doesn’t seem that way at the moment. L
This instance is an extreme example and the spear tip of a much bigger problem if we continue to allow this sort of thing.

I’ll say it like this. Bell being a part of the system by electing not to sign his franchise tender when a long term deal couldn’t be met is in the same vein as taking the ball and going home when the rules are not to your liking on the playground.
Sure you can do it. It’s your prerogative. But it’s certainly not staying within the system of the playground. Others are affected. There is a whole batch of damage left behind that the ball owner doesn’t consider.

Now, it’s obviously much more serious with bell and you make a great point with how many times he touched the ball last season. It’s kind of incredible actually. Over 400 touches. So I can see it. The problem is when others will think this applies to them when the scenario is far different.
$14.5 mil is plenty good enough even considering all of that and it’s what was hard fought and agreed upon.

I would prefer a league where the negotiations ultimately had to end with a beloved player has to suit up.

You're making a lot more out of it than there actually is.  
Bell is a singular talent playing an undervalued position. That position takes a huge amount of punishment, and the wrong injury stands between him getting $40M guaranteed, plus, next year or nothing. If he chose to play and got hurt in such a way, he would lose his only chance to cash in as a RB. It's like Revis, who I also supported getting every dime that he could get As an NFL 1%er, he can get away with it while the rest of the league can't. The Steelers tried to use (abuse?) the system to get the most out of Bell that they could for the least amount of money they could pay. He took a stand and said, no thanks. 
I understand your concerns and share some of them, which is why I don't want the Jets to be the team that gives him his big payday, but I fully support the player doing what he feels is in his own best interests. Much as I support freedom of speech even if I don't like what everyone has to say. He's exercising his rights within the rules of the system. 

Lol. Well said. I can easily get caught up and make mountains out of mole hills. It’s funny. I also find myself trapped on one side when that was not my intention.
It’s good when a comment comes down the pike and settles it down a bit.

That being said, I have problems with the deterioration of the fragile balance between money and football. I love FA and remember how much I supported the efforts of freeman mcneil and the others who fought for it when I was a younger man.
The problem is the perversion of the system. While I am I full support of players getting taken care of. Full support!
There are limits though. Your points about his undervalued position are well received and I’m with you.
The issue I have is when someone throws everything agreed upon to the wind. $14.5 mil is plenty good enough even considering all you’ve said.
When players don’t show up, it screws over the entirety of the game. As a fan I don’t like it. It would be different if it wasn’t a number like $14 mil and a player not being secure for the rest of his life should an injury occur.
I see it as a marker for the future being far worse than it is now. That’s my real issue.

Archived