LAMAR JACKSON

14 in Green

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I didn't get to see any of the Ravens game yesterday, but the kid had a pretty good stat line. He ran for over a 100, and the team won his first start. If anyone watched it, I'm curious what you thought. It would be interesting if yesterday signaled a changing of the guard in Baltimore with Flacco the odd man out. A lot of people here have thrown out Harbaugh's name as a HC/GM type here with the Jets, but if he's bought in on Jackson, why would he leave the Ravens for us?

It was pretty horrible how he was used. He's basically being used as an option/wildcat runningback than an actual passing quarterback. 

It's week 11 and that the Ravens couldnt figure out what works for him as a quarterback. It's embarrassing. 

Trust, they won that game but they wont be winning many if this how how they're going to be using him. Also he's going to eventually get hurt. 

They can cut the field in half and run bootlegs in order to give him only half the field to read if they feel that things are too much for him right now. That is exactly how Cam Newton was used in his 1st year. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

27 carries (and only 19 throws) out of the QB is friggin insane, and unsustainable.  He's an exciting player and I think worth taking where the Ravens took him.  But they're going to have to figure out how to use him in a way that keeps him safe if he's the future at the position.

Definitely wayyyy better to have gotten Jackson in the late 1st over Josh Allen in the top 10. 

It’s called coaching, Jackson isn’t ready to just go play pocket passing QB, he has a specific skill set that is elite, and the Ravens had to play him, or thought he gave them a better chance to win then RGIII, so the Coaches game planned, and adjusted accordingly based on personnel available to them, and went out, and beat a good Bengals team.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s called coaching, Jackson isn’t ready to just go play pocket passing QB, he has a specific skill set that is elite, and the Ravens had to play him, or thought he gave them a better chance to win then RGIII, so the Coaches game planned, and adjusted accordingly based on personnel available to them, and went out, and beat a good Bengals team. 

That's all fine and good until he tears his ACL.  Great strategy to win a game.  Horrible strategy to protect a QB's future. 

The main reason why Lamar Jackson is the better option than RG3 is because what they're risking with Jackson is exactly what happened to RG3. 

What you call coaching, I call reckless.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

That's all fine and good until he tears his ACL.  Great strategy to win a game.  Horrible strategy to protect a QB's future. 

Well when the coach won’t be back next year what does he care?  In all seriousness L Jackson is that kind of QB, if he gets injured you have to deal with it, it’s part of the package with him yet he has never ever been injured weird.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Well when the coach won’t be back next year what does he care?  In all seriousness L Jackson is that kind of QB, if he gets injured you have to deal with it, it’s part of the package with him yet he has never ever been injured weird. 

Exactly my point.  The Ravens need to protect Jackson from Harbaugh, unless they're of the opinion they can throw away 1st rounders.  Jackson will be on the roster for at least the next 3 seasons after this one.  Harbaugh will be gone. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly my point.  The Ravens need to protect Jackson from Harbaugh, unless they're of the opinion they can throw away 1st rounders.  Jackson will be on the roster for at least the next 3 seasons after this one.  Harbaugh will be gone. 

So I see you stopped reading at the first sentence.

So I see you stopped reading at the first sentence.

Yes because the 2nd part wasn't worth responding to.  You basically pulled a Dolph Lundgren "If he dies, he dies."

Just because he has not suffered a major injury to this point does not mean he won't.  This is the NFL.  Guys are wayyyy bigger, faster, and stronger than at the prior levels.  Lamar was a man among boys in college, but now he's basically just a guy. 

We just saw Alex Smith snap his ankle nearly off his body yesterday.  RG3's career was derailed 1 season in by running too much.  Putting your QB at additional risk than he needs to take is stupid, plain and simple.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because the 2nd part wasn't worth responding to.  You basically pulled a Dolph Lundgren "If he dies, he dies."

Just because he has not suffered a major injury to this point does not mean he won't.  This is the NFL.  Guys are wayyyy bigger, faster, and stronger than at the prior levels.  Lamar was a man among boys in college, but now he's basically just a guy. 

We just saw Alex Smith snap his ankle nearly off his body yesterday.  RG3's career was derailed 1 season in by running too much.  Putting your QB at additional risk than he needs to take is stupid, plain and simple.

There might not be a defender faster then Jackson who weighs more then 185 pounds come on, and yes Lamar Jackson HAS to be handled with the if he dies he dies attitude, or you don’t draft the kid, he is who he is, and like Vick when healthy he will become dominant, and yes everyone will be watching, and waiting for the injury to happen maybe it does maybe it doesn’t, again it never has some guys just know how to avoid injuries like C Martin, E Smith for example.

There might not be a defender faster then Jackson who weighs more then 185 pounds come on, and yes Lamar Jackson HAS to be handled with the if he dies he dies attitude, or you don’t draft the kid, he is who he is, and like Vick when healthy he will become dominant, and yes everyone will be watching, and waiting for the injury to happen maybe it does maybe it doesn’t, again it never has some guys just know how to avoid injuries like C Martin, E Smith for example. 

They don't need to accelerate the process by running basically a Wildcat system.  He needs to be able to sink or swim as a pocket passer, or don't play him until he's ready to do that.  Throw RG3 to the wolves instead.

I'm not saying don't let him run at all.  I'm saying that 24 carries is absurd.  It's like they're trying to ruin the kid as fast as possible.

I think you guys are looking at this wrong.  Currently, he is a gadget guy that they can spot start while he develops.  He basically only cost them their 2018 and 2019 2 2nds.  They get to lock him up for the 5th year because he is  a 1st, though I don't know they will want to spend the $ for him as QB if he is not a starter. 

He look really raw and unpolished as a thrower.  That'll eventually catchup to him.  The staff did do a good job of playing to his strengths and also running plays that allowed WR's to be wide open for Jackson on some plays.  I wish our coaching staff would do that for our young QB.  It seems like Darnold is throwing into tight coverage every game.

17 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Mike Vick could throw when he came out of college.  This kid is very raw in that department.  The only thing they have in common is speed.

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DeShaun Watson

Carries per game Weeks 1-5:  6.8

Carries per game since Week 5 rib/chest injury:  3.8

That's the kind of adjustment that teams with running QB's need to make.  And even then, sometimes its not enough. 

Your game is your game.  Lamar I think the jury is still out he’s just a rookie but you’re either a read option RPO guy or a drop back guy

RG3 tried to remake himself into a drop back guy and he went from playing excellent as a rookie to Hackenbergesque

Not saying Lamar is RG3 I don’t think he’ll be but we still have no idea.  I do think RPO is what suits him which probably means he has at most a 10 year career lifespan as a starter

39 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If JIM  plays and loses to ND in the BCS hes the one we need to go after

If he makes the playoffs incollege FB Michigan isn’t letting him go anywhere 

Recruiting for UMich is not as easy as it is for the Alabama’s, Clemsons and USCs.  Weather sucks, academics are hard and it’s nowhere near as good a party school as those places

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Harbaugh is never, ever coming here, regardless of the QB situation.

What if he was given the option to pick his own gm ?‍♂️Lol.. In all seriousness look at this roster, 80% of draft and FA $$ over years are D. If Mac let the idiot Bowles basically assemble his own roster, why not let harbaugh have just as much if not more input.. I’m sure going to a place where he can dictate major decisions is enticing.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Mike Vick could throw when he came out of college.  This kid is very raw in that department.  The only thing they have in common is speed.

Want to know what else they DON’T have in common?  Jackson’s work ethic, kid is basically just like Sam Darnold with a determined hard working go about your business daily of live, breathe, eat, and **** football, but unlike Sam, Jackson seems a little more sensitive to criticism from OUTSIDE the Team people like fans, and media, or like Baker he uses that like a chip on his shoulder.

I 100% agree with you about Jackson being RAW as a thrower right now, but you don’t use RAW to describe someone who isn’t capable to be a really great thrower, and with his work ethic I believe he can get to at the very least an average thrower, but the ceiling of someone like Deshaun Watson, now imagine Watson if he had Jackson’s speed, agility, and vision with the arm?  And yes Watson is way above average in all those categories at the position possibly the 2nd best behind Jackson, but Jackson is on another level like Vick was with his legs at QB, I said this after about Jackson since about week 4 of his final college season (before that I 100% thought he had to switch positions in the NFL before really truly watching him play with an open mind, and the huge strides he made from 2nd year to 3rd year as a passer which changed my mind on him), IF a team commits to developing Jackson in a similar way the Falcons developed Vick by installing a ridiculous, but (because of the straight fear the defense has of then Vick’s, and now Jackson’s game breaking at any moment ability) extremely successful run oriented, and I mean run oriented offense with some well timed play action passes, and RPO’s which should be called KRPO’s with a player like Jackson at QB (Keep yourself to run, Running Back hand off, Pass option) adding one more threat for defenses to have to account for leaving GIGANTIC amounts of wide open space on the field for the receivers to be open for chunk play after chunk play like the Chiefs, Saints, and Rams do except they have to use a WR, or 2nd RB as that 3rd threat (Chiefs use Hill, and sometimes Kelce to go in motion or lineup in backfield as the 3rd threat, Saints use both Kamara, and Ingram at the same time, and the Rams use just about everyone to do the same motion, or lineup in double RB sets) that takes away one more target who is an eligible receiver, while Jackson being the QB playing both roles of dangerous playmaker running with the ball, and the guy throwing the ball when that is the read, AND unlike with Goff, and Mahomes you HAVE to designate a defender to cover Jackson as if he were a eligible receiver, or in some cases in zone coverage at least one defender has to stay in QB spy coverage, and this causes so many problems for a defense that no other QB besides Cam Newton who also was very RAW as a thrower mostly in the accuracy, and anticipation department, but he was RAW meaning the talent was there with his arm strength to develop into a throwing QB like he has.  Both Vick, and Newton were able to QB teams to the playoffs quickly before they were fully developed as capable pocket QB’s, and throwers.  These seasons are usually called the sit, and develop years for most QB’s with their Raw talents to be good QB’s without the legs they have, and I think IF pressed, and the Ravens use him in this type of overly simple offense for a QB to operate, and extreme run biased including Jackson with at least 10-15 touches himself he to could also have the capabilities to be the starting QB during these years instead of clip board duties, but still be able to win games because how elite his running ability is like Vick, and Newton before him.

I am 120% glad/happy/excited that the Jets landed Sam, I still can’t believe we landed him, and can’t wait for him to emerge once he is pulled out of the darkness that is Todd Bowles next season, and still wouldn’t be shocked if he actually was able to emerge out the darkness of Bowles this season because he has that much talent, and just has “IT”that a NFL QB needs, “IT” is something you see, and can’t measure, and I’ve seen “IT” inside Sam Darnold already.  But IF the Jets didn’t trade up to #3, and took say Chubb, McGlinchey, or hate to say it because he is a G Q Nelson at 6, then traded back into the 1st to grab Jackson only a 5-7 spot move, so for 2 2nd rounders, Jets 2018, and 2019 Jets keep the Seahawks 2nd rounder last year, and surprisingly use it on a WR Anthony Miller, and while I’m playing hindsight they draft Mattias Rankins instead of Shepherd, jury still out on Rankins, but it’s at least a try somewhat early in the draft on a lineman.

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The main reason why Lamar Jackson is the better option than RG3 is because what they're risking with Jackson is exactly what happened to RG3. 

What you call coaching, I call reckless.

Funny people keep saying this but look at how most running quarterbacks get hurt, it’s coincidentally in the pocket trying to make throws not running. 

3 hours ago, August said:

Funny people keep saying this but look at how most running quarterbacks get hurt, it’s coincidentally in the pocket trying to make throws not running. 

Wentz hurt his knee last season trying to score a TD on the ground, did he not?  RG3 in similar fashion, no?

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If he makes the playoffs incollege FB Michigan isn’t letting him go anywhere 

Recruiting for UMich is not as easy as it is for the Alabama’s, Clemsons and USCs.  Weather sucks, academics are hard and it’s nowhere near as good a party school as those places

so you don't get the rivalry between ND and Michigan  if he loses that game (if they play) they wont be very happy

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wentz hurt his knee last season trying to score a TD on the ground, did he not?  RG3 in similar fashion, no?

I don’t remember but I do remember Randall Cunningham getting hurt while standing in the pocket, Vick getting hurt standing in the pocket, McNair, McNabb, Mariota etc....

Archived