Goff was a bust

BornJetsFan1983

Under Jeff Fisher, now mvp candidate.

They went from worst to first basically in every category.

Of course they got gurley, an extremely talented rb but you can see that coaching takes Ave to good talent to it's potential.

Get rid of bowles and get a good young offensive coach and we too can have a good team.

Sam darnold is better than Goff, just needs coaching.

Now who is the gm for the Rams I don't know. Anyone have insight?

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Of course they got gurley, an extremely talented rb but you can see that coaching takes Ave to good talent to it's potential.

Get rid of bowles and get a good young offensive coach and we too can have a good team.

"Sam is better then Goff, just needs coaching." C'mon @nico002, I don't care how many times you change your name or avatar (although this one is great!). We know it's still you! 

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

love the enthusiasm...

but you're forgetting that NY drafted Williams over Gurley. We traded for Kearse, LA signed Woods. KC drafted Hunt, we drafted somebody named ardarius stewart. LA took Josh Reynolds when we took Hansen.

The list goes on....

and on....

and on...

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

"Sam is better then Goff, just needs coaching." C'mon @nico002, I don't care how many times you change your name or avatar (although this one is great!). We still know it's you! 

I think he's basing that claim off of his potential which is reasonable, not that he's better now. 

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think he's basing that claim off of his potential which is reasonable, not that he's better now. 

Yeah, I think you're probably right. My post was more about poking nico though. I get a kick out of teasing him about Sam.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Gurley was a bust under Fisher too. Coaching matters. And Jeff Fisher is better than Todd Bowles. So who the hell knows what kind of players we have. And I agree Sam is better than Goff. Mahomes though. That guy does everything Sam does but faster and more deadly. 

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Gurley was a bust under Fisher too. Coaching matters. And Jeff Fisher is better than Todd Bowles. So who the hell knows what kind of players we have. And I agree Sam is better than Goff. Mahones though. That guy does everything Sam does but faster and more deadly. 

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but how do you even compare Sam with either of them at this point? What are you seeing that makes you think he's better then Goff, and does anything similar to Mahomes? I don't ever give butt fumbles unless someone gives me one first, but if I did, this post would get one. You're usually a really good poster, but you really surprised me with this one.

Are you guys that are negative on Sam really serious? Have you seen a rookie QB go into a worse situation? Not just players but coaching too? It’s atrocious and you can’t tell anything from it.

Now I’m not going to be one of these fans that is crowning Sam before he does anything meaningful but this year has been a disaster from the coordinator change, blocking scheme change, injuries and players flat out quitting. It’s been a complete disaster. To give up on Sam after he was literally thrown into the fire is ridiculous.

He HAS BEEN BAD but c’mon. Give the kid a chance with a competent coach and some weapons/protection. If he still sucks, screw him. I don’t care. I want success. We may never get a competent coach and/or weapons and will probably ruin him but even the best QBs couldn’t rise above the trash that is the NY Jets right now. If you think this is a simple “apples to apples” comparison with other rookie/young QBs, you are out of your mind. Look at the state of our team. I don’t recall a worse time and worse offense in my life as a Jets fan. 

Darnold’s career trajectory could certainly follow Goff’s if he gets the same team and coaching built around him. Mahomes is simply otherworldly.

It is encouraging to see Goff go from bust to awesome. Gives me hope that Sam (who hasn’t looked as bad as Goff at his worst) can still fully blossom despite some not great plays. But yes we need to fire the HC and get an offensive minded coach and go HAM after offensive talent from here on out.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Darnold’s career trajectory could certainly follow Goff’s if he gets the same team and coaching built around him. Mahomes is simply otherworldly.

It is encouraging to see Goff go from bust to awesome. Gives me hope that Sam (who hasn’t looked as bad as Goff at his worst) can still fully blossom despite some not great plays. But yes we need to fire the HC and get an offensive minded coach and go HAM after offensive talent from here on out.

Mahomes other worldly? What has he done today to make you think that? Turned it over three times?

When the NFL zigged, Todd Bowles & the NY Jets zagged.

If the Jets hired an offensive coach instead of the staid boring Bowles, they had a chance at Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffery, Alvin Kamara, or Hunt. 

But we're rolling out free agent Isaiah (butt wiper) Crowell. 

Its mind boggling how horrible the decision makers are here and how in 4 years there has been absolutely no plan in place. The team hasn't improved, the defense which has gotten a disproportionate amount of assets just gave up 41 points to the Matt Barkley led Bills.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love the goff sucks narrative, its all mcvay. Maybe goff just struggled like most rookies do, and now hes making mcvay look like a genius.

People act like goff is some scrub.  He was the number 1 pick in the draft.  Hes got tons of talent and would be awesome if jim caldwell was his coach.

I think your missing the point completely. Nobody is saying its all McVay, the point is, much like Goff struggle under Bowles, err, I mean Fisher, Darnold is struggling under Fisher, err, I mean Bowles. Many have come to the conclusion that Darnold sucks balls and we need to move on already. Just like judging Goff after 9 games under Bowles, would have been wrong, judging Darnold after 9 games with Fisher is wrong.

And, on top of that, Goff can be measured on his own, so can McVay. Its the fit that makes the whole thing work, not one, or the other.

Saying Jim Caldwell could get the same performance is purely a hypothetical that is literally impossible to predict and nothing more than bad mental masterbation.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

When the NFL zigged, Todd Bowles & the NY Jets zagged.

If the Jets hired an offensive coach instead of the staid boring Bowles, they had a chance at Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffery, Alvin Kamara, or Hunt. 

But we're rolling out free agent Isaiah (butt wiper) Crowell. 

Its mind boggling how horrible the decision makers are here and how in 4 years there has been absolutely no plan in place. The team hasn't improved, the defense which has gotten a disproportionate amount of assets just gave up 41 points to the Matt Barkley led Bills.

Preaching to the choir here I think Macagnan’s drafting has been way below mediocre

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Why do you think Sam is better than Geoff? there is nothing he has shown to suggest that my friend...be realistic, that is what we HOPE but there is ZERO evidence of such. 

I know it's fun to continue with the hope for Sam and use example like Manning, Aikman, Goff, etc and rightfully so.   But as many have pointed out before, there are just as many who continue to suck.  However, I'll say this about the current example; Goff as a rookie was legit, awful.  He looked like an absolute nightmare who did not belong in the league. In comparison, Darnold looks 100x more the part of an NFL QB than Goff did as a rookie.

It's amazing what talent combined with coaching can do for a team.

Time will tell on Sam. I happen to think he is the real deal and think he is our FQB. Now they just have to build around him and put him in a position to succeed. You do that by drafting to support him and hiring a coach who can bring out the best in him. So far, no good.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but how do you even compare Sam with either of them at this point? What are you seeing that makes you think he's better then Goff, and does anything similar to Mahomes? I don't ever give butt fumbles unless someone gives me one first, but if I did, this post would get one. You're usually a really good poster, but you really surprised me with this one.

to me it's a case of the coaching putting in a system that maximises his players.  fisher was more of a ground and pound guy and didn't coach to help goff (of course he was only there for goff's rookie season) and reid has shown he can coach with any qb.  and let's not forget that both goff and mahommes are not rookies.  neither was ready to impress from day one.

darnold has shown some really good talent.  build a team to exploit those talents and the jets will be fine.  unfortunately it's going to take a coaching change.

12 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jeff Fisher, for all his flaws, is basically .500 all time as a HC

he's a name people have heard of, he's an NFL lifer who can coach a team anytime he wants

the last four head coaches of the Jets, Herm, Eric, Rex or Todd, all of them are under .500 

my point is the Jets haven't had a Jeff Fisher why would anyone believe they can hire a Sean McVay? When they have to hire a consultant firm or Charlie Casserly to hire these other guys

the ownership doesn't know about football and doesn't care enough to learn.   

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

LOS ANGELES -- Kevin Demoff, the Los Angeles Rams' chief operating officer, stood behind a lectern at the team facility on Dec. 12, 2016, and was asked whether general manager Les Snead would keep his job. The Rams' dispirited return to L.A. had culminated in the firing of their fifth-year head coach, Jeff Fisher, and all eyes quickly shifted to Snead, who came in only one month later.

Demoff said the Rams would "have a complete review of the entire organization" and left it at that, Snead's role as the Rams' GM never solidified -- at least not in the public eye -- until Sean McVay was hired as the head coach on Jan. 12, 2017. Even if Demoff and the Rams figured all along that Snead would return, the message was clear: Snead needed an extraordinary offseason, to steer this franchise in the right direction and validate what had been built over the previous half-decade.

Archived