Demarco Murray; cautionary tale RE: Bell signing

Bugg

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Just saw a stat last week that Cimini posted that the Jets lead the league in 3 and outs. As you can see, none of it means a thing if we don't have a solid O-Line and offensive weapons in a league totally geared to the offensive side of the ball.

The primary reason that Bowles gets fired is because he fired an OC who was actually doing a decent job and replaced him with the QBC who was doing a decent job in that role after a long break.

is this offense better or worse with Morton, bates and Dennison?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Just saw a stat last week that Cimini posted that the Jets lead the league in 3 and outs. As you can see, none of it means a thing if we don't have a solid O-Line and offensive weapons in a league totally geared to the offensive side of the ball.

Jets OFFENSE leads the league in 3 and outs im talking about the D generating more 3 and outs for themselves to rest. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Bell only works on a heavily incentivized contract.   You give him a big guaranteed contract, he turns it off.  He is a mercenary, not a warrior.  

Pay him 20m if he plays 16 games and gains 2000 yards.  But he needs to produce to get paid most of that.  

He should a guaranteed base, which he gets so long as he does not get suspended or retires. 

Very true. If you look up the phrase "it's all about me" a pic of Bell is the 1st thing that pops up.

18 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Very true. If you look up the phrase "it's all about me" a pic of Bell is the 1st thing that pops up.

We are on the same side of things so often... feels like most of the time. 

As for this, we are on opposite sides.  I am trying to be at the forefront of the pro Le'V Bell rally around here...  He is the only player in fraud agency I have been pounding the table for since I can't remember.

I loathe to debate you on this one, in fact I can't do it.  

Regardless if anyone wants it or not, we are more than likely making a run at Bell for several reasons

The lack of play makers, the need for an elite talent, the (future) need for any RB alone, someone who can bring excitement to the fan base to help sell the tickets.

If you don't think that this team is going to try and swing for the fences this coming season with the uniform change to try and re-brand the Jets, then I don't know what to say.  This is going to just be Bell alone, I think they are really going to go after the marquee free agents when we get a clearer picture of who si going to be available.  Sadly I think this means overspending to get them here too, but thats what I see unfolding.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, Bugg said:

What DeMarco Murray’s Early Retirement Means for the NFL’s Current Crop of Star Running Backs

Just three years after being named the AP’s Offensive Player of the Year, Murray is out of the league. And his career arc could provide a glimpse into the sad financial futures of backs like Le’Veon Bell and Todd Gurley.

By Riley McAtee  
In the NFL, only kickers and punters get paid less than running backs. Offensive linemen, linebackers, and even tight ends make more than one of the league’s marquee positions. That seems curious, seeing as some of the sexiest names in the league line up in the backfield, but those players typically don’t last long. Running back careers have become so short that teams often refuse to invest in the position. Look no further than DeMarco Murray, who, three years after being one of the best players in football, retired on Friday.

Murray called it a career after seven seasons in which he racked up 9,339 yards from scrimmage, 55 touchdowns, three Pro Bowl appearances, and one solid contract from a team that almost instantly regretted signing it. In 2014, Murray was the best running back in football, and led the league with more than 1,800 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns behind Dallas’ talented offensive line. And he was due for a new contract at season’s end. The Cowboys offered him a four-year, $24 million deal, but Murray spurned them and went to the divisional rival Eagles on a five-year, $42 million contract.

It was a good deal for Murray. The $18 million guaranteed at signing was the third-highest for a running back at that time behind only Arian Foster and LeSean McCoy. But in his first season in Philadelphia, Murray disappointed, rushing for just 702 yards on 3.6 yards per carry. The then-27-year-old was so mediocre that, just one year after being one of the most important offensive weapons in the league, the Eagles traded him to the Titans for a fourth-round pick swap. Tennessee was the only team willing to take a chance on a player who just one year earlier was the AP Offensive Player of the Year.

After a brief resurgence in his first season with Tennessee (Murray rushed for 1,287 yards for the Titans in 2016), he faltered last year, with career lows in rushing yards (659) and yards per carry (3.6). The Titans cut him in March, saving $6.5 million against the salary cap, and four months later, no team had signed him. The Dolphins worked him out, but serious interest never seemed to emerge. And now, at age 30, Murray is hanging up his cleats.

Murray is a perfect example of why NFL teams don’t want to hand out big deals to running backs. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, he gave the Cowboys 4,526 rushing yards (4.8 per clip), 1,200 receiving yards, and 29 touchdowns through four seasons. During that stretch he was paid just $3.65 million. Then, when it came time to cash in on his rookie-contract production, the Cowboys lowballed him and let him walk. It’s ugly, doing that to a superstar. It is, also, given the league’s economics, the right business decision for the team.

Murray’s career arc—his immediate production and near-immediate decline after signing a real contract—has implications for some of the league’s current best backs. Le’Veon Bell is close to playing on the franchise tag for a second consecutive year as the Steelers waffle at giving him a long-term deal. Bell led the league in rushing attempts last year, and while he’s just 26, that was also the age Murray was in his All-Pro year. The Rams’ Todd Gurley is even younger—just shy of 24—but he sees the writing on the wall, and has been telling anyone who will listen this offseason that NFL players deserve fully guaranteed contracts. Gurley still has another two years left on his rookie deal, and after that he may be in the same franchise tag hell in which Bell has found himself. Arizona’s David Johnson has had virtually no traction in trying to get a new deal. And soon Ezekiel Elliott, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette, and even Saquon Barkley will likely find themselves in similar situations.

Running backs’ careers are too short for them to cash in—they’re the second-shortest in the league by position after wide receivers, per The Wall Street Journal, though elite-level wideouts certainly seem to last much longer than elite running backs. The first four or five seasons for a running back—when they’re tied up in bargain rookie deals—is generally the time they’re most valuable. Murray was able to cash in on one solid contract, and the Eagles were lucky just to move on from him when they did. If the Cowboys had given Murray the contract he wanted, it could have been a disaster for the long-term success of the team, and NFL franchises will no doubt take note. When it’s time to get paid, a rusher’s best years are often already behind them—and teams know that. For many players, that time is already here, and teams are going to look at what happened to Murray. Then they’ll do the same thing the Cowboys did: Lowball them, or let them walk.

Rebuttal: Curtis Martin.   RB's have been made hurt by the NFL's focus on the QB.

We can really beat a topic into the ground here atJN, but nothing frustrates me more then when a Bell, Mack, Gordon, or Cooper becomes available and half the board says they’re too old, too expensive, won’t perform after getting paid, we need OL help, we need a Pass rushing end, we have no talent, he won’t play well when he gets here, our coaches will ruin him, we can get the same player in the draft, and blah blah blah, we go 5-11 again and those are the guys who complain about the talent on our team. AAAGGGHHH!,

22 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Regardless if anyone wants it or not, we are more than likely making a run at Bell for several reasons

The lack of play makers, the need for an elite talent, the (future) need for any RB alone, someone who can bring excitement to the fan base to help sell the tickets.

If you don't think that this team is going to try and swing for the fences this coming season with the uniform change to try and re-brand the Jets, then I don't know what to say.  This is going to just be Bell alone, I think they are really going to go after the marquee free agents when we get a clearer picture of who si going to be available.  Sadly I think this means overspending to get them here too, but thats what I see unfolding.

I’m against the jets signing Bell but I’m warming up to the idea for no better reason other than we are just a boring football team to watch.  Bell at the very least gives us some sizzle

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Rebuttal: Curtis Martin.   RB's have been made hurt by the NFL's focus on the QB.

Oh, boy! Curtis "The Complier" Martin....please tell me I don't have to dredge up those threads from yesteryear about the downside of his post-30 career. At the end of the day, give a decent back 300+ carries, he's gonna get 1000 yards. Doesn't mean he's a great player, merely means he hung around long enough and had a coach who used him slavishly. Further Martin spare 1 game vs. Jax in 1998/99 was playoff awfulness here.  

On 11/22/2018 at 12:39 PM, Savage69 said:

LT in 2003 1645 yds on 313 carries 5.3 ypc 13 tds 100 receptions for 4 tds and even had a td pass.. Team went 4-12 with Bree's in his 2nd year..

Ok, you win. The Chargers went 4-12 in 200effing3, so let’s forget about a superstar RB who is also a great receiver out of the backfield and can pick up a blitz. Sam doesn’t need anyone like that, he’s already got Cannon and Crowell.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Bell only works on a heavily incentivized contract.   You give him a big guaranteed contract, he turns it off.  He is a mercenary, not a warrior.  

Pay him 20m if he plays 16 games and gains 2000 yards.  But he needs to produce to get paid most of that.  

He should a guaranteed base, which he gets so long as he does not get suspended or retires. 

I like the idea but I don't think that the Players Association would allow it.  I could be wrong.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:27 AM, heymangold said:

bell is 26, 27 for next season.  and if he retires early, his number comes off the books - no?

On 11/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, GreenWhite said:

Bell will absolutely rob the Jets blind. 

MAC is the PERFECT GM for this.  Manages to overpay vets and writing off cap space when he gets released.   He has a LOT of practice.

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

MAC is the PERFECT GM for this.  Manages to overpay vets and writing off cap space when he gets released.   He has a LOT of practice.

If you could guarantee that Bell would in years 3, 4 and 5 he would still be a dominant, great. But NFL history tells you that's a total pipe dream. heck, if you have to sell it talking about how you could cut him or hoping he retires, don't do it. 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

As for this, we are on opposite sides.  I am trying to be at the forefront of the pro Le'V Bell rally around here...  He is the only player in fraud agency I have been pounding the table for since I can't remember.

I’ve been right there with you on the Bell signing from the start. I would’ve even given up our next 2 first rounders for Mack also. Mack would’ve turned ours into an elite defense. Bell, one good veteran WR, and a C, maybe another above average OL piece, and I think we would’ve been good to go next year. 

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you could guarantee that Bell would in years 3, 4 and 5 he would still be a dominant, great. But NFL history tells you that's a total pipe dream. heck, if you have to sell it talking about how you could cut him or hoping he retires, don't do it. 

LMAO!!  I was being sarcastic.  I dont want bell at the numbers we are seeing.  You and I are in agreement my JETS brother.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I love your posts because usually we do think alike. :cheers:  No debate necessary . lol  I guess it comes down to me not trusting Bell. That's bottom lining it for me. Obviously if we did sign him and it worked out I'd be ecstatic.

imo the thing not stated is that these guys get large guaranteed contracts and then enter a comfort zone.  it seems some positions more than the others get their fair share of slackers after contract and you can imagine a player of bell's ability just not caring much if the team starts out 3-5.  what's left for them to play for? pride?  maybe.  what motivates people isn't always money or even team success.

the jets would be better off getting free agent players in the middle of their contract years when the contract value and term is known.  other than that they need to draft much better than they have.  they've gotten burnt a few times under mac with guarantees and all that cap money can disappear very quickly if he goes after the top flight guys.

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

imo the thing not stated is that these guys get large guaranteed contracts and then enter a comfort zone.  it seems some positions more than the others get their fair share of slackers after contract and you can imagine a player of bell's ability just not caring much if the team starts out 3-5.  what's left for them to play for? pride?  maybe.  what motivates people isn't always money or even team success.

the jets would be better off getting free agent players in the middle of their contract years when the contract value and term is known.  other than that they need to draft much better than they have.  they've gotten burnt a few times under mac with guarantees and all that cap money can disappear very quickly if he goes after the top flight guys.

LMAO! Let me rephrase what you just wrote here so it's more succinct. Let's keep on the course we're on now. 

Its not just Bell, it's bringing in a new offensive coaching staff that has a freaking clue about running an offense. The Tennessee Titans blew out the Patriots this year! The Tennessee Titans? The Patriots LOST to the Lions, THE LIONS! The Jaguars blew out the Patriots & have won 1 game since, THE LOWLY JETS. 

When does anyone remember a Patriot team losing to 3 teams like the Lions, Jags, Titans in the same season? In fact, I would have put money on them losing to KC, Packers, Texans, if they played them on the road & weren't set up by the league with all of their primetime games in Gillette.

Never have the Pats been so ripe. They are OLD, Brady is finally showing his age a bit, Edelman has fought through a bunch of injuries, Gronk is having more back issues. 

There is only 2 reasons why we can't compete with them like everyone else now, our coach STINKS, and we have a weak as sh*t offense, the same year they are totally exploitable on defense. We should be trying to compete NEXT YEAR in the division! Get Bell, get another WR, get the best guard on the market to replace Carpenter, draft the best f*cking Center with one of our 3rds, we're picking high folks, maybe 2 or 3, that's usually a pretty damn good player! 

Tweaked Oline, Bell + Crowell + McGuire, Free agent WR (Tate) or Tyrell Williams? Enunwa, Herndon, a new defensive coach with Bosa or Zach Allen + Fowler or Dee Ford, that now has a pass rush & the corners can play press man instead of 10 yards off the ball? 

We're a ways off the Rams & Saints but we would definitely compete in our own division & be fighting for a playoff spot. That is the beauty of having a young (hopefully) franchise QB. Because when you have one, ANYTHING can happen when you get into the tournament. With Sams calm demeanor & some weapons he might make a few plays that turn him into a legend? But you have to play to find out. F*ck this 5 year BS! When you've got a chance to get a top 5 player in the NFL, chosen by his peers, you get him if you can! Especially knowing that he will be a huge help to alleviate pressure on your young QB. 

Unless you guys want Powell back or want to waste a 3rd rounder on a RB, instead of Oline help? Right now, there isn't one player on the NY Jets deserving of a large contract, including Leonard Williams. If he was a star you'd know it by now. Instead he's just another solid D tackle who so far hasn't even come close to the career of say a Geno Atkins. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

LMAO! Let me rephrase what you just wrote here so it's more succinct. Let's keep on the course we're on now. 

Its not just Bell, it's bringing in a new offensive coaching staff that has a freaking clue about running an offense. The Tennessee Titans blew out the Patriots this year! The Tennessee Titans? The Patriots LOST to the Lions, THE LIONS! The Jaguars blew out the Patriots & have won 1 game since, THE LOWLY JETS. 

When does anyone remember a Patriot team losing to 3 teams like the Lions, Jags, Titans in the same season? In fact, I would have put money on them losing to KC, Packers, Texans, if they played them on the road & weren't set up by the league with all of their primetime games in Gillette.

Never have the Pats been so ripe. They are OLD, Brady is finally showing his age a bit, Edelman has fought through a bunch of injuries, Gronk is having more back issues. 

There is only 2 reasons why we can't compete with them like everyone else now, our coach STINKS, and we have a weak as sh*t offense, the same year they are totally exploitable on defense. We should be trying to compete NEXT YEAR in the division! Get Bell, get another WR, get the best guard on the market to replace Carpenter, draft the best f*cking Center with one of our 3rds, we're picking high folks, maybe 2 or 3, that's usually a pretty damn good player! 

Tweaked Oline, Bell + Crowell + McGuire, Free agent WR (Tate) or Tyrell Williams? Enunwa, Herndon, a new defensive coach with Bosa or Zach Allen + Fowler or Dee Ford, that now has a pass rush & the corners can play press man instead of 10 yards off the ball? 

We're a ways off the Rams & Saints but we would definitely compete in our own division & be fighting for a playoff spot. That is the beauty of having a young (hopefully) franchise QB. Because when you have one, ANYTHING can happen when you get into the tournament. With Sams calm demeanor & some weapons he might make a few plays that turn him into a legend? But you have to play to find out. F*ck this 5 year BS! When you've got a chance to get a top 5 player in the NFL, chosen by his peers, you get him if you can! Especially knowing that he will be a huge help to alleviate pressure on your young QB. 

Unless you guys want Powell back or want to waste a 3rd rounder on a RB, instead of Oline help? Right now, there isn't one player on the NY Jets deserving of a large contract, including Leonard Williams. If he was a star you'd know it by now. Instead he's just another solid D tackle who so far hasn't even come close to the career of say a Geno Atkins. 

i am not advocating staying the course.  of course a coaching change is needed. but at the same time the cap isn't so great that it can't go down to zero in short order.  and yes they need to get guys who play every day but the question is is bell a guy who can be trusted to play hard with a ton of guaranteed money?  

okay, assuming those guys can be signed within the cap and they come over ready to play instead of collecting a paycheck then it might work, for a couple of seasons.  but as you say, it doesn't work with this current coach, for whatever reason, and a change in coach would do wonders for the guys they already have.  imo the oline, talent wise, isn't quite as bad as portrayed.  even long was playing well until he broke his finger.  powell is most likely done.  if he is offered a contract it will be for a low number.

I’m just not sold on Bell. Was he great? Yes! What will he be after a big contract signing? Unknown. If the OL can’t open holes will he still be great. Look at Connor in Pitt right now. He is exceeding Bells numbers. Why? Because the OL can make plays and open holes for him. Even Elliot has not been as dynamic as previous years. The Cowboys OL has been banged up this year. Can the Jets have a successful ground game with Crowell, McGuire and Cannon? I believe the key is the OL. Besides the teams that are on top have a great Air Attack game, with a good complimentary RB. It’s a passing league and I’m all in on getting a solid Offensive Line and some key WR’s. That should be the focus for the draft and FA IMHO. It’s not like the Jets will be a SB contender next year or even the year after. If the Jets do everything right and all the pieces come together we’re still looking at 2-3 years and now Bell is 29-30 years old. Then it will be time to look at another RB unless it turns out to be a Frank Gore. Which I don’t anticipate. 

On 11/22/2018 at 1:43 PM, joewilly12 said:

No way Creepy we need identity and superstar players the "what if" selections we have taken in the past have proven to be the wrong moves. 

You keep the top 5 pick and you pick the immediate impact player. 

Normally I would agree with this but when you have a GM and his staff that have demonstrated time and time again they don't have the ability to identify that type of player what do you do? You either plod along with them or start all over again.

That being said, you think Bell looks at the Jets and see's a team on the rise? If Bell considers the Jets it will be to drive up the price on another team like Cousins did. If he signs with the Jets look for him to look out for #1 as he has consistently done throughout his career. I see nothing but more holdouts and demands especially if he has even a little success. Bell is an exceptional talent no doubt. I just don't see him being a fit on a young perpetually rebuilding team with its coaching staff in flux and a GM who is soon to be on the hot seat(if he isn't already). That's a recipe for disaster IMO.

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Normally I would agree with this but when you have a GM and his staff that have demonstrated time and time again they don't have the ability to identify that type of player what do you do? You either plod along with them or start all over again.

That being said, you think Bell looks at the Jets and see's a team on the rise? If Bell considers the Jets it will be to drive up the price on another team like Cousins did. If he signs with the Jets look for him to look out for #1 as he has consistently done throughout his career. I see nothing but more holdouts and demands especially if he has even a little success. Bell is an exceptional talent no doubt. I just don't see him being a fit on a young perpetually rebuilding team with its coaching staff in flux and a GM who is soon to be on the hot seat(if he isn't already). That's a recipe for disaster IMO.

When does the Jets persona change?  When does the Jets become a team players want to play for even cheaper than other teams like NE?  The same old way of doing things hasn't worked here in 50 years and won't work anytime soon. The NFL has passed the NY Jets by time and time again the reason we are bottom feeder team with no end in sight.  Other teams take chances on young coaches with little or no experience we choose the safe route in the way of Todd Bowles who is by far the worst HC in the NFL. He plays for FG's never ever goes for it on 4th down and manages a game like a clueless moron. 

If we get a top 5 pick you stay put and you pick the sure thing player hopefully the pick is made by a GM who has a clue and a scouting team that has a clue.  You also sign superstar free agents and because we are the NY Jets we will need to overpay the other choice is to remain the same bottom feeder NFL doormat team we have been for the last 50 years. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

When does the Jets persona change?  When does the Jets become a team players want to play for even cheaper than other teams like NE?  The same old way of doing things hasn't worked here in 50 years and won't work anytime soon. The NFL has passed the NY Jets by time and time again the reason we are bottom feeder team with no end in sight.  Other teams take chances on young coaches with little or no experience we choose the safe route in the way of Todd Bowles who is by far the worst HC in the NFL. He plays for FG's never ever goes for it on 4th down and manages a game like a clueless moron. 

If we get a top 5 pick you stay put and you pick the sure thing player hopefully the pick is made by a GM who has a clue and a scouting team that has a clue.  You also sign superstar free agents and because we are the NY Jets we will need to overpay the other choice is to remain the same bottom feeder NFL doormat team we have been for the last 50 years. 

Once again MACC will be making that pick. Even if Bowles is fired Macc will still be here. Has Macc demonstrated the ability to pick "the sure thing"? Leo and Adams fell into his lap as did Darnold. The book is still out on those guys but I'm not impressed so far. In Sam's case time will tell but Adams and Leo are just average at this point even though Adams has stepped it up. Until Macc is gone and the Jets gain some credibility I don't trust this regime to make those decisions and attract the type of player you are talking about in FA.

I agree  with everything you said about Bowles no doubt but if Macc is the GM when draft time and FA rolls around it will be same old same old.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Once again MACC will be making that pick. Even if Bowles is fired Macc will still be here. Has Macc demonstrated the ability to pick "the sure thing"? Leo and Adams fell into his lap as did Darnold. The book is still out on those guys but I'm not impressed so far. In Sam's case time will tell but Adams and Leo are just average at this point even though Adams has stepped it up. Until Macc is gone and the Jets gain some credibility I don't trust this regime to make those decisions and attract the type of player you are talking about in FA.

I agree  with everything you said about Bowles no doubt but if Macc is the GM when draft time and FA rolls around it will be same old same old.

MANY seem to be forgetting MM assembled this roster NOT Bowles MM is a clueless moron dumped on our plate by the bigger moron Charlie Casserly. 

Wake up Johnson brothers or sell the team. 

Archived