JN Film Room: Clelin Ferrell

maury77

long athlete who doesn't appear to be really "twitchy"

Consistently uses his long arms to keep himself clean and delivers a very accurate jab

quick out of a 3 point stance

not very bendy with his pass rush

smart player who doesn't take many false steps

takes some reps out of a 2 point stance

polished pass rusher who has a variety of moves and combinations that he employs

Not an elite athlete, so I'm not sure he will be a consistent double digit sack guy, but I think at a minimum, he will get you 8-10 every year. I think he has a low bust potential as he relies on his length, smarts and a seasoned pass rush game. 

@sec101row23 , as our local Clemson guy, what are your thoughts on Ferrell?

On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, maury77 said:

Consistently uses his long arms to keep himself clean and delivers a very accurate jab

polished pass rusher who has a variety of moves and combinations that he employs

Not an elite athlete, so I'm not sure he will be a consistent double digit sack guy, but I think at a minimum, he will get you 8-10 every year. I think he has a low bust potential as he relies on his length, smarts and a seasoned pass rush game. 

I’m not sure Clelin is an elite edge prospect.  He’s not explosive or fast enough to be considered elite.  He’s also benefitting from playing on a loaded defensive line.  With Lawrence and Wilkins doing their thing in the interior, Clelin should really be more productive IMO.  He doesn’t jump out on tape like Beasley did, he doesn’t have the closing speed the elite guys have, and he’s a good not great athlete.  He’s a 4-3 DE all day, I don’t like him for a 3-4 team.  Not a top 5 draft pick IMO.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:10 AM, maury77 said:

Great analysis, and agree across the board. I actually like Ferrel a lot, but he looks like a 4.75/40 type and doesn't bend well enough to consistently beat left tackles around the corner. He looks more like a middle/bottom first round/second round guy than a top 5 pick.

But that's not to say that he's not a good football player. I love his tenacity and think he's a good pass rusher, but I see him being more of a ~8 sacks/year type guy than 10-12 sacks/year type.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Great analysis, and agree across the board. I actually like Ferrel a lot, but he looks like a 4.75/40 type and doesn't bend well enough to consistently beat left tackles around the corner. He looks more like a middle/bottom first round/second round guy than a top 5 pick.

But that's not to say that he's not a good football player. I love his tenacity and think he's a good pass rusher, but I see him being more of a ~8 sacks/year type guy than 10-12 sacks/year type.

The Clemson edge guys have been a bit disappointing at the NFL level. Beasley, Lawson, Bowers, Gaines Adams, Sapp, Branch.

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The Clemson edge guys have been a bit disappointing at the NFL level. Beasley, Lawson, Bowers, Gaines Adams, Sapp, Branch.

The interior guys are better pros.   DJ Reader and Carlos Watkins have been good.  Wilkins and Lawrence could be better prospects than Ferrell this year.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, maury77 said:

We haven’t had an EDGE who could get 8-10 sacks since Abraham 13 friggin years ago.  I prefer Allen but Ferrell would be nice too

On 11/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, sec101row23 said:

I’m not sure Clelin is an elite edge prospect.  He’s not explosive or fast enough to be considered elite.  He’s also benefitting from playing on a loaded defensive line.  With Lawrence and Wilkins doing their thing in the interior, Clelin should really be more productive IMO.  He doesn’t jump out on tape like Beasley did, he doesn’t have the closing speed the elite guys have, and he’s a good not great athlete.  He’s a 4-3 DE all day, I don’t like him for a 3-4 team.  Not a top 5 draft pick IMO.  

That's exactly what I saw tonight word for word 

Archived