What do you want to see out of Mangini and the Jets

Maxman

next season? Would you prefer the keep some of the older guys around and take a run at it next year?

Or do you want the whole thing to be blown up?

Myself...I am rooting for something in the middle. Get rid of lots of dead weight. But keep Mawae, Kendall and see what they can do when healthy.

Oh and make them all work out so that come the regular season, they are all healthy.

Myself...I am rooting for something in the middle. Get rid of lots of dead weight. But keep Mawae, Kendall and see what they can do when healthy.

me too...kendall is still good..he had to play out of postion this year..mawae will be back to normal..

i think as far as offence ..just upgrade the O-LINE..and QB..give the WR's another try with 1 healthy starting QB and take it from there...

defence:need a big fat ass next to d-rob.and another DB..

next season? Would you prefer the keep some of the older guys around and take a run at it next year?

Or do you want the whole thing to be blown up?

Oh and make them all work out so that come the regular season, they are all healthy.

In a "perfect world", anbd given only an average number of injuries in 2006?

I want to see Pennington off the books, I don't see him ever returning to top-10 QB status with his injury history.

Abe and Martin both gone, one cap-space saved (Abe) paying for the other's (Martin's) cap hit. Abe is to expensive for his contribution (and would be exposed, badly, in a 3 lineman scheme, as he is a very weak run defender and can be single-m,anned in running downs). Martin is too old, too injury prone at this age, and we are better served with a youth movement at that position now that 2006 is likely not a playoff season. Build for the future.

Clear the books as much as possible beyond this, i.e. cut Ty Law, painful as that may be. Mawae might have to stay, as we cannot replace everything at once, and he likely has another solid year or two left IMO. Same with Kendall. Reneg them if we can to cheaper deals.

Sign or trade for a QB (Ramsey has always been my perhaps misguided choice, for cheapness and availabaillity, but even with that said I deeply prefer Matt Schaub). Draft a RB (high), 3 O-linemen, a DT, a DE and a CB.

With the talent we have, with a fresh, healthy QB and a nice shiny new 1st or 2nd round RB, a healthy O-line and most of our D talent back (only Law and Abe gone, most likely) under our "brilliant X&O minded" new coach, I think 8-8 should be a MINIMUM expectation.

On another thread this was addressed. I'm in the camp that we should blow apart the O.Line, except for Mawae, and dump Penny and Curtis. On defense, trade Abe, let Law go, and find a vet Q/B somewhere, but not a guy like Ferrotte. I can have Bollinger instead of Gus. Same results.

Write off 2006, but lay the foundation for a 10-6 2007, and a playoff run, with a younger team.

i was in the blow it up camp but am having 2nd thoughts. the gap b/w 4 wins and 10 wins is not that significant. the jets need a QB, not a 'game manager' but a QB that can win the game. they also need improved Oline and players that fit mangini's defensive scheme whatever it is.

all in all i don't think that requires blowing up the team but the jets definitely need to make some changes. a great game plan, solid d, and running game is all it takes to be competitive.

Clear the books as much as possible beyond this, i.e. cut Ty Law, painful as that may be.

I will defer to AEC4 but I think they already addressed the Ty Law cap problem this season. Didn't they convert his bonus and took the hit in 2005?

I don't think we need to blow it up...we were 1 game from the AFC Championship a couple of years ago. You don't blow up a team like that.

New HC, some young/new players sprinkled in there and we're on our way. What we need most of all is an exorcist to come in here and rid this BS of playing not lose and implement we play to win! Herm talked about it, just didn't walk it.

I want to see an Extreme Makeover, Mangini-style.

I would love to see an intense, mandatory off-season strength and conditioning program. I really would like to see Mangini just be a no-nonsense guy. Players are on the field only when healthy. No ones job is safe come training camp. Open competition at every position.

I want to see them bring in a legit NT and another Cornerback unless they plan on keeping Ty. I also want a cornerstone OT in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft along with a RB. Those 2 should be our selections at 4 and 36. I want another Wide Reciever. I want to be .500.

the jets cannot blow up this team. if they blow up the team and take all of the cap hits that leaves a built in excuse for failure - a la herm in 2005. mangini needs to breed a culture of winning and shed the moniker 'same old jets'. if they take the hits this year, all it does is allow an excuse for going 4-12. the goal should be to blend youth with the veterans and build for the next 5 years. the goal should be to make the playoffs next year, period. no rebuilding, no excuses, nothing. if you look at the team this year, they could have won at least 4 additional games and that was with bollywood at the helm. 10-6 next year, mangini is coach of the year.

I expect him to take over and make any changes that makes the New York Jets competitive. Not in 2-3 years, but next year.

If Saban can take a 4-12 team and turn it into a 9-7 with no QB in one year, The Great Magical Mangini can do it as well.

The new NFL is just too quick to sit around and think about next year, next year, next year. Do it now, tomorrow and get it done.

I want to see the Jets competitive, in the hunt, playing good sound football and back to at least a .500 season.

BZ

I want to see a team that is in shape and disciplined. A team that is aggressive and developing. The record is not as important as the development of the younger players.

I agree completely. I want to see a hungry, disciplined, conditioned, passionate team that improves each week.

I want to win now, because I want to be excited about ripping the tickets off the strip on a Sunday. There is a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL and with a good draft, smart pick ups and cutting the dead wood, this team can be competitive. There is still some good talent on this team, the cupboard is not bare.

...and scantily clad cheerleaders

I expect him to take over and make any changes that makes the New York Jets competitive. Not in 2-3 years, but next year.

If Saban can take a 4-12 team and turn it into a 9-7 with no QB in one year, The Great Magical Mangini can do it as well.

The new NFL is just too quick to sit around and think about next year, next year, next year. Do it now, tomorrow and get it done.

I want to see the Jets competitive, in the hunt, playing good sound football and back to at least a .500 season.

BZ

only difference is that wanstadt wasnt a player scoach and he was strict on workouts etc,,,

mangini is takin over ateam tha thas eroded over years as far as discipline and physical stamina due to Turds refusal to fine weight violations and he didnt push back on lax workout disipline.

So Mangini might have to get the physical level up as well as the mental level.

Put away the C-4, blowin sh*t up isn't necessary. The team can be competitive as it stands with some moderate tweaking. We can't afford a ton of FA's and can only do so much in the draft, so I think it best to move conservatively and address the most pressing issues while remaining in a holding pattern on the less gaping holes. Keep the Vets that have the integrity and passion to win, those that will help a young and inexperienced coach cultivate a culture of integrity and responsibility. This means keeping Curtis, Mawae and Kendall as players/mentors. This also means cutting the expensive malcontents that are a lockerroom liability (ie: ego guys like Abe and Law). Penny stays as another character guy, at least until it makes sense to cut him financially. OT and DT MUST be mproved. The young DB's like strait, rhodes and miller will benefit from better coaching and more experience. The LB corps improves with Barton's return. Coles is still a very good reciever, but we need someone to push J-Mac from #2 to #3. Mangini must be patient and begin molding the team in 2007, when the cap becomes less of a liability. This year, let him learn on the job. I'm fine with 5 or 6 wins.

Take a run at what with the old guys around? :shock:

In a "perfect world" with all the old guys around, the Jets would finish 8-8 at best.

Mangini is not that dumb or blind.

He will gut the roster sooner than later.

I want to see a team that is in shape and disciplined. A team that is aggressive and developing.

Right on!!

A coach who gets in players' faces and doesn't give a damn if he hurts their feelings. Someone who will bitch and complain to the officials if he thinks they made a bad call. Someone who will be unsatisfied with the team's progress, no matter if they win or lose the game on a given Sunday.

What do I want to see out of the Jets and their new coach? Improvement. It's not much to ask for. Just improvement. From August to January. Just improvement.

From August? :shock:

Storm, don't you realize that the Jets are the two-time defending AFCE Pre-Season champions?

Pretty hard to improve on that. :wink:

Right on!!

A coach who gets in players' faces and doesn't give a damn if he hurts their feelings. Someone who will b!tch and complain to the officials if he thinks they made a bad call. Someone who will be unsatisfied with the team's progress, no matter if they win or lose the game on a given Sunday.

Hi, Steve,,,

GREAT point!!! That is overlooked, tha teven if u win its OK for a coach to be unhappy and rip

Right on!!

A coach who gets in players' faces and doesn't give a damn if he hurts their feelings. Someone who will b!tch and complain to the officials if he thinks they made a bad call. Someone who will be unsatisfied with the team's progress, no matter if they win or lose the game on a given Sunday.

Like Mike Greenberg says, a good coach is mad even

after a win rather than throwing a Thnaksgiving day parade after every victory. And when some knucklehead starts babbling about the Super Bowl on the first day of camp, he gets spoken to.

Archived