What Do the Jets Gain Playing McCown?

Warfish

Help me understand. 

He's not a competitive QB, given his ~33% career win record and recent play, so it's certainly not about "winning" before anyone claims that.

He's not teaching anyone anything.

Apart from being old, what does he bring of value to this team, at this moment in time?

Does anyone seriously think the team would abandon/Give up more under another QB?

This has been the trend for years here now, play the mouldy old man, never play the young prospects.

Why sign Davis Webb if you think he is incapable of even holding down the fort in a lost season?

I will never understand the love some franchises have for old man never was QB's.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand. 

He's not a competitive QB, given his ~33% career win record and recent play, so it's certainly not about "winning" before anyone claims that.

Apart from being old, what does he bring of value to this team, at this moment in time?

Does anyone seriously think the team would abandon/Give up more under another QB?

This has been the trend for years here now, play the mouldy old man, never play the young prospects.

Why sign Davis Webb if you think he is incapable of even holding down the fort in a lost season?

I will never understand the love some franchises have for old man never was QB's.

You guys don’t seem to understand it’s not a game to the players or coaches. They play who gives them the best shot at winning that Sunday. They aren’t guaranteed to be jets players or coaches 5 years from now like you will be a fan. They want wins, their paychecks and jobs depend on it.

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You guys don’t seem to understand it’s not a game to the players or coaches. They play who gives them the best shot at winning that Sunday. They aren’t guaranteed to be jets players or coaches 5 years from now like you will be a fan. They want wins, their paychecks and jobs depend on it.

Buuuuuuuullpoo. 

>33% win chance with McCown.  Playing a Punter at QB would give us 33% chance ffs.

And you're right, it's a JOB.  Players who give up or lack effort because we play a young QB.....have shown themselves unworthy of that JOB.  If players are dictating who plays QB, that's a sign of a franchise completely out of control in terms of management.  It's NBA levels of backwards in the Coaching vs. Players relationship. 

And frankly, if any one of them doesn't want to play hard because Darnold is "hurt", and we have to play Webb to gain SOMETHING from those lost games, I want that player cut anyway.

And lets be honest, this team is borderline talentless.  Few of these losers will be on the team if we ever return to competitiveness.  So who cares what they think.

Somehow other teams in our low position have managed to try out young QB's in times of injury, but never us.  Somehow, never us.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We gain one BIG thing by playing him.  It removed the looming Bowles excuse that he could not win do to a rookie QB this year and his favored guy was on the sidelines.

To who was THAT a legitimate excuse?  Macc?  The Johnsons?

Dear Lord, anyone who'd buy THAT pile of bullpoo himself deserves to be fired too.

10-6 with mostly Rex's players, 5-11, 5-11, now 3-8 and falling.  NO ONE SURVIVES THAT NO MATTER THE EXCUSE MAKING!

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dear Lord, anyone who'd buy THAT pile of bullpoo himself deserves to be fired too.

10-6 with mostly Rex's players, 5-11, 5-11, now 3-8 and falling.  NO ONE SURVIVES THAT NO MATTER THE EXCUSE MAKING!

Or so the logical thing would be this... unfortunately, we are fans of the Jets, nothing is ever correctly done aside from getting in our own way.

I don’t see how an owner can find that acceptable or have patience for it .. but here we are.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes to mac and moreso the johnsons.  I think you give way too much credit to our top of the org guys.

If mccown does not come in the talking heads who know nothing about this team give bowles free pass, the Johnsons listen to the national media so yes it has an effect.

Also we are talking todd bowles, there is zero chance they would eve play david webb if a 90 year old vet was healthy.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was on his way to setting the record for most interceptions in a season.  Not the nfl record you want to have.

Darnold needed to sit.  He was awful and incapable of running an offense.

Its not that difficult to understand.

The guy won 3 games this year. Please stop being an a hole

1. They don't expose Darnold to further injury or self-esteem issues.
  2. They can partially justify that $10M back-up QB salary
  3. Allows Darnold to see the Pro game and opposing defenses from the sideline 
  4. Gives TB more consistency (@sucking) at the QB position so Kearse and Anderson can finally be reincorporated into the game-planning.
  5. Allows Bates to fully open the playbook because a Pro's Pro is running the ship now. 

:lol: = Sarcasm

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was on his way to setting the record for most interceptions in a season.  Not the nfl record you want to have.

Almost nothing you said other than the BS INT extrapolation is remotely true.Troll more.

I would agree if McCown with major experience didn't suck. McCown didn't run the offense either with all of the WR's present.

What this means is Bates can't run an offense with the current players they have or just can't run an offense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I would agree if McCown with major experience didn't suck. McCown didn't run the offense either with all of the WR's present.

What this means is Bates can't run an offense with the current players they have or just can't run an offense.

Darnold had the pleasure of playing the Vikings & Bears shorthanded & McCown gets a much worse Pats defense with all hands on deck, the bye week to move long to guard & Harrison gets a full week of practice at Center but yea...all things being equal. 

McCown has been just as incompetent. 

If the Johnsons were smart they would tell this front office staff that they were not qualified to coach or protect, Darnold, their most valuable asset, and he needed to be benched until a real coach and improved OL was in place next year. 

In a perfect world Darnold would have started the last half of the season.  Here, he started the first, but he is best kept on ice for now.

But I do believe that the true reason is along the lines of Bowles wanting to play the QB who he thought would win and help his job status, here or elsewhere. 

Darnold had the pleasure of playing the Vikings & Bears shorthanded & McCown gets a much worse Pats defense with all hands on deck, the bye week to move long to guard & Harrison gets a full week of practice at Center but yea...all things being equal. 
McCown has been just as incompetent. 
Pretty much sums it up but some don't get it! The Defense sucked all season yet KC is running his BS.

Darnold will start next week and for the rest of the season. He didn't play today for 2 reasons. His injury which might have gotten worse if not completely healed. And a good excuse to not play against Belichick's defense which is complex for even vet Qbs to figure out. Sam if healthy will be our starter in 2019. McCown won't be the backup they'll either go with Webb or probably sign another vet, a guy with starts in his career but inexpensive. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Darnold will start next week and for the rest of the season. He didn't play today for 2 reasons. His injury which might have gotten worse if not completely healed. And a good excuse to not play against Belichick's defense which is complex for even vet Qbs to figure out. Sam if healthy will be our starter in 2019. McCown won't be the backup they'll either go with Webb or probably sign another vet, a guy with starts in his career but inexpensive. 

The Patriots defense stinks this year.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand. 

Josh McCown is a nice guy who has never proven he knows how to win consistently,  I have said over and over I want a guy who has won to mentor my young QB.  We used to have moldy relic Mark Brunell here not taking snaps.  But he had won in the league.  To me that was smart planning.  The QB he had to mentor was not up to it.  But it was good management. Now we have Mr. Gritty Loser.  Perfect match for Bowles.  We dont need a QB coach?  Of course not, Mr Loser is here.

This is why Bowles should be fired in season. He's trying to win as many games as he can to save his job. He's not worried about player development.

The Jets should be playing Davis Webb until Sam Darnold is back. We need to see if Webb can serve as a capable backup for us going forward. But Bowles isn't going to do that if he thinks McCown gives us the best chance to win.

We need to get rid of Bowles and Macc ASAP. Unfortunately, I think they'll only fire Bowles at the end of the season. 

Bowles gains because the loss is not an embarrassing blow out. McCown keeps us in the game, keeps us close, doesn't embarrass himself or the team - but ultimately falls short ... "we just need to execute better".

Webb vs. Belichick would be ugly, painful and make back page news headlines (not of the good sort). Think Nathan Peterman bad. Instead it'll be the Midgets blowing a 16 point lead that gets the attention.

That's what McCown brings. :-(

For any Jet fan that has given up on Darnold and thinks he will be a bust. Peyton Manning threw 28 int’s his rookie year. Darnold has thrown 14 so far. He’s a rookie QB with a crappy OL and mediocre Receivers. If your expecting a 2018 Mahomes season out of him go route for the Chiefs. Good grief! 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Bowles gains because the loss is not an embarrassing blow out. McCown keeps us in the game, keeps us close, doesn't embarrass himself or the team - but ultimately falls short ... "we just need to execute better".

Webb vs. Belichick would be ugly, painful and make back page news headlines (not of the good sort). Think Nathan Peterman bad. Instead it'll be the Midgets blowing a 16 point lead that gets the attention.

That's what McCown brings. :-(

I guess you weren't around during the lowly Bills massacre against our Jets.  Yes, It was that embarrassing.  But hey McClown had two weeks to prepare for the stinky Pats defense and lost by only 2 TD which I'm hearing is a great moral victory now days in the facility.

Archived