What Do the Jets Gain Playing McCown?

Warfish

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We gain one BIG thing by playing him.  It removed the looming Bowles excuse that he could not win do to a rookie QB this year and his favored guy was on the sidelines.

Yeah, that's what it did. Guess you haven't read any of the post game articles.  

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was on his way to setting the record for most interceptions in a season.  Not the nfl record you want to have.

Darnold needed to sit.  He was awful and incapable of running an offense.

Its not that difficult to understand.

Basically nobody can run the offense.  McCown is already broken with one foot out of the NFL. Sam came in looked like he had potential and then became historically awful. You gonna wear you old shoes or new shoes out in the rain? Really all it is.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is why Bowles should be fired in season. He's trying to win as many games as he can to save his job. He's not worried about player development.

The Jets should be playing Davis Webb until Sam Darnold is back. We need to see if Webb can serve as a capable backup for us going forward. But Bowles isn't going to do that if he thinks McCown gives us the best chance to win.

We need to get rid of Bowles and Macc ASAP. Unfortunately, I think they'll only fire Bowles at the end of the season. 

If Darnold really is being kept out because of his injury, and they don't believe that Webb is good enough to start, then McCown is the only option. There were a lot of people here -me, included- who wanted to see Hackenberg get on the field but what we learned later is that he's just terrible and never should've been drafted or held a roster spot to begin with. The Giants released Webb rather unceremoniously after many speculated that the reason they passed on Darnold was that they believed in him as Eli's successor. Could be that he just sucks. Not like anyone tried to snatch him off the Jets' practice squad. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

If Darnold really is being kept out because of his injury, and they don't believe that Webb is good enough to start, then McCown is the only option. There were a lot of people here -me, included- who wanted to see Hackenberg get on the field but what we learned later is that he's just terrible and never should've been drafted or held a roster spot to begin with. The Giants released Webb rather unceremoniously after many speculated that the reason they passed on Darnold was that they believed in him as Eli's successor. Could be that he just sucks. Not like anyone tried to snatch him off the Jets' practice squad. 

I just don't understand the logic in playing a 39 year old journeyman QB in another lost season. McCown is most likely retiring at the end of the year. I don't see what the Jets gain from playing him. Webb has been on the team all season, I have to think the Jets are hoping he might be able to develop into a competent backup QB to Darnold. I don't see why he can't get some valuable experience right now. If he looks awful you could always pull him and throw McCown in to get through the rest of the game. But to be fair, the Jets know much more about him than I do and get to watch him in practice everyday. However, I don't have any trust in this regimes ability to find/develop/judge talent.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand. 

He's not a competitive QB, given his ~33% career win record and recent play, so it's certainly not about "winning" before anyone claims that.

He's not teaching anyone anything.

Apart from being old, what does he bring of value to this team, at this moment in time?

Does anyone seriously think the team would abandon/Give up more under another QB?

This has been the trend for years here now, play the mouldy old man, never play the young prospects.

Why sign Davis Webb if you think he is incapable of even holding down the fort in a lost season?

I will never understand the love some franchises have for old man never was QB's.

NOTHING.  

Davis Webb should be playing QB.  BUT....there is this thing called a lack of coaching.....

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is why Bowles should be fired in season. He's trying to win as many games as he can to save his job. He's not worried about player development.

The Jets should be playing Davis Webb until Sam Darnold is back. We need to see if Webb can serve as a capable backup for us going forward. But Bowles isn't going to do that if he thinks McCown gives us the best chance to win.

We need to get rid of Bowles and Macc ASAP. Unfortunately, I think they'll only fire Bowles at the end of the season. 

A loss was certain either way. He has no excuse for being such a horrible HC. I agree that they will not touch McC. This will most likely be another wasted draft. 1 or at the very most 2 good players and junk the rest. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hopefully Darnold will start against the Titans , if he can’t I would hope they start Webb. The problem is Bowles never thinks out of the box, I would bet he starts McCown. A 3-8 team starting a 39 year old QB makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed. And this is why Bowles should have been removed as the Head Coach after Buffalo. He's going to try and play the guy who gives him the best chance to win the game because he's trying to save his job. He's not interested in player development right now.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I was going to type this more or less (ok, no secret I was going to type more).

As sympathetic as we are behind our keyboards, at the idea of tanking anyway, they aren't in a position to do so. Say there are 2 QBs in practice, with one, for all his faults, looking like a pro QB who knows what he's doing while the other you wonder how he was ever issued a uniform. Easy as it is for us to say why the hell not, in practice the HC can't knowingly play someone so horrible when a blind person could see one is 30 levels better than the next-best option. There are dozens of others on the team, all risking permanent injury on every play, so if you're going to do that at QB you might as well do that with every starter, and bench anyone who has any possibility of a future with the team. 

Take one player like Herndon, who looks ok for a rookie. Is his development and game experience also to be put on a shelf for next season? What about seeing if RobbyA's disappearance (when healthy) was just due to playing with a rookie or if we'd already seen his apex? Darnold's inexperience surely played a part in his numbers decline (as well as Enunwa's) but just how much? Play Webb and get a sub-Darnold performance and you still don't have these answers. Play them with McCown, whether the game's won or lost, and you get a better idea of them as well with facing some offseason decisions on both. 

Truth is the whole team sucks, as well as the dolts coaching them, so such evaluations are going to be challenges anyway. But writing off all decline to Darnold taking his lumps could be correct and it could be dramatically counterproductive in terms of what they do this spring.

4 hours ago, DRJETS said:

I guess you weren't around during the lowly Bills massacre against our Jets.  Yes, It was that embarrassing.  But hey McClown had two weeks to prepare for the stinky Pats defense and lost by only 2 TD which I'm hearing is a great moral victory now days in the facility.

Sadly I was. But McCown vs Bill >>> Webb vs. Bill, in terms of "playing it safe".

Much like punting when down 2 scores ... it's safer, but safe doesn't win games.

7 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Look, there has to be such a level of disgust within the fan base that they’re in danger of losing many future generations of potential Jet fans. Maccagnan and Bowles have done what was close to impossible to do, after 4 years the team is in worse shape than when they were gutlessly given jobs in no way did they deserve.

Now the team is close to being irrelevant.  Think about how long it would take for the Jets to line up and compete against say New Orleans or KC.  If you gave Maccagnan 1,000 years to try to compete against them he couldn’t do it.

The owner doesn’t care if they win or not.  For some reason that I can’t figure out he’s actually in it for the money, squeezes every penny.

Has the owner ever PERSONALLY won anything in his life?  Virtually all of the owners were Titans in businesses before buying their teams, they’re smart guys ie Jerry Jones and his car empire.  I don’t think he measures up against any of them.

If you owned a corner bodega and wanted to take the summer off would you let the Jet owner run it for you?

Hes in the perfect business owning the Jets.  They NEVER have to win or even compete for him to turn a profit.  He just splits the tv money with the other owners.

So you take the Jet owner, and then you take Maccagnan and Bowles hahaha...ahhhh, just dissolve the team, Canada doesn’t even want them.

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand. 

He's not a competitive QB, given his ~33% career win record and recent play, so it's certainly not about "winning" before anyone claims that.

He's not teaching anyone anything.

Apart from being old, what does he bring of value to this team, at this moment in time?

Does anyone seriously think the team would abandon/Give up more under another QB?

This has been the trend for years here now, play the mouldy old man, never play the young prospects.

Why sign Davis Webb if you think he is incapable of even holding down the fort in a lost season?

I will never understand the love some franchises have for old man never was QB's.

Todd Bowles is a clueless HC who thinks McCown can play well enough to save his job.

Archived