UNFIXABLE: Lack Of Viable Ownership

SoFlaJets

Continues to be THE problem with this team. This is a team that is like a class full of students whose teacher had them scheduled for a big test and then is absent the whole week and a couldn't-care-less hungover substitute is reading the Daily News with his feet up on the desk after telling the class to "look busy". Woody Johnson is  over in England wearing a red MAGA hat probably working on setting up plans for when he can finally make the move across the Atlantic to set up shop in England.

Every team that has made moves in the modern era have done it by alienating as much of the older fanbase that they can, essentially tamping down as many the cries of protest as possible. I mean look at this team, where ARE the guys my age who actually watched the New York Jets win the only Super Bowl they will ever win? I know that most of my friends who I used to play football with in the snow and rain and mud and ice because we loved the game so much have moved on and don't even watch half the games and as for the past few seasons, they couldn't even tell you who they're playing that week.

The Jets are supposedly going to have a hundred million dollars of cap money to burn after this debacle of a season finally and mercifully over, and the sad fact is that regardless of how much money the Jets have to throw at the top FAs out there, the word is out; nobody wants to play here nobody wants to be a Jet. Look at the top fifty free agents from the past few years and it bears out that the New York Jets can't draw the big names because the program here which starts at the missing top of the Christmas tree is nowhere to be found. Woody Johnson should sell this team to people who want to be owners of NFL teams and leave the politics to the politicians

exactly and the one way that losing will make Woody richer is if he is able to take the Jets across the pond where they will pay whatever so that they can have a real NFL team {ahem) in their backyard. Another season or two like these past ]-5 years and there won't even BE any old timers left to even watch the Jets or the NFL for that matter.

The Johnson Brothers have shown no interest in bringing a winning team here. Most of the media can't believe that Bowles was not let go after the Buffalo debacle. What they put their fans through, who buy the PSLs and pay the parking and concessions, is nothing shy of thievery. The only way that they would ever sell is for the NFL to pressure them into it. We know that will never happen as long as the faithful fans keep going to games and buy the PSLs. I was alive and saw Joe Namath win Super Bowl III and it was then that I became a Jet fan. That was 50 years ago and I realize that I will never see that again. The problem is they never get the great coach or player, Parcells and almost Bellichick were the only two.  Look at the last two GMs. The owners have no pride in this team, the way Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft and many other owners have.

As much as I despise the Johnsons and think they are only an iq point or two above legally retarded I think this whole “winning comes from the top” thing is overrated

The Maras are considered these sacred great owners they haven’t won nothing in 6 years.  Kraft is considered this great owner how great would he be if TB12 didn’t fall in his lap

Arguably the best owner in the NFL is the Falcons Owner Arthur Blank he hasn’t won anything.  The NBA’s best owner is Mark Cuban he has just one championship despite Dirk Nowitzki falling in his lap 20 years ago

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

As much as I despise the Johnsons and think they are only an iq point or two above legally retarded I think this whole “winning comes from the top” thing is overrated

The Maras are consider education these sacred great owners they haven’t won nothing in 6 years.  Kraft is considered this great owner how great would he be if TB12 didn’t fall in his lap

Arguably the best owner in the NFL is the Falcons Owner Arthur Blank he hasn’t won anything.  The NBA’s best owner is Mark Cuban he has just one championship despite Dirk Nowitzki falling in his lap 20 years ago

When I say “the top”, I mean that ownership needs to find competent people and those people (coach,GM,VP of football ops etc) dictate the success of the franchise. 

6 minutes ago, GaryM said:

The Johnson Brothers have shown no interest in bringing a winning team here. Most of the media can't believe that Bowles was not let go after the Buffalo debacle. What they put their fans through, who buy the PSLs and pay the parking and concessions, is nothing shy of thievery. The only way that they would ever sell is for the NFL to pressure them into it. We know that will never happen as long as the faithful fans keep going to games and buy the PSLs. I was alive and saw Joe Namath win Super Bowl III and it was then that I became a Jet fan. That was 50 years ago and I realize that I will never see that again. The problem is they never get the great coach or player, Parcells and almost Bellichick were the only two.  Look at the last two GMs. The owners have no pride in this team, the way Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft and many other owners have.

The Johnson Bros have a chance to redeem themselves by firing both Macagnan and Bowles this January 

If either Macagnan or Bowles are still here next season it’s just another piece of undeniable proof this ownership simply doesn’t care

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

When I say “the top”, I mean that ownership needs to find competent people and those people (coach,GM,VP of football ops etc) dictate the success of the franchise. 

The Johnsons did hire Rex and Mike Tanenbaum who had some success.  They whiffed hard on the past 2 GMs and Bowles looks like a “what were you thinking” type hire

I hate Woody and Chrissy but they have a shot at redemption this January if they fire both Bowles and Macagnan 

Jet fans are incredibly resilient but I sense from reading the most recent posts on this board that a lot of the fans are beginning to finally give up after decades of ineptitude. There will always be fans who love to demonstrate their stalwart nature regardless of the quality of the product put on the field.  That is their right of course.  But many of us now realize that as long as Woody Johnson owns this team (even with his brother Chris allegedly making board level managerial decisions), the Jets will never excel.  I cannot divine why Woody/Chris consistently make atrocious decisions.  The bottom line is that they do.  Over and over again.  Looks like they will be firing Bowles at the end of this season but keeping Macc.  This prescription for disaster was tried before.  The Jets are like the Knicks, Mets, and Lions.  Players, managers, coaches and GMs come and go.  One thing remains constant: ownership that is incapable of producing a winning or even competitive team.  

Just now, Philc1 said:

The Johnsons did hire Rex and Mike Tanenbaum who had some success.  The whiffed hard on the past 2 GMs and Bowles looks like a “what were you thinking” type hire

I hate Woody and Chrissy but they have a shot at redemption this January if they fire both Bowles and Macagnan 

Its the only way they can validate them being owners who care and want to win. 

Retaining MM serves zero purpose. 

There is no financial incentive to win. The 31 owners and the town of green bay split the TV, merch almost everything equally. the whole thing prints money and winning is actually more expensive than losing. They are 17 mil under the cap right now for no reason, there's no salary cap on coaches, they haven't extended anyone (Enunwa, Anderson?). Ownership doesn't care, nor should he. 

side note it's not just that he doesn't care about winning. it's that the man knows nothing about football, or life in general.

Woody needs a team of consultants to tell him what shoes to wear in the morning 

It's bad luck.  I'm not mad a Woody.  He did everything the right way last time by bringing in Casserly and Ron Wolf to interview and help pick the new GM and coach.  Plenty of other owners who are too hands on and plenty of owners who just don't give a damn. 

We have a owner probably right in the middle.  Blame Casserly.  

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnson Bros have a chance to redeem themselves by firing both Macagnan and Bowles this January 

If either Macagnan or Bowles are still here next season it’s just another piece of undeniable proof this ownership simply doesn’t care

Problem is they have no clue who to hire. Smart coaches don't want to work for owners with no clue. The Rexes and Herms and Todds of the league have no other offers. 

Just now, bitonti said:

Problem is they have no clue who to hire. Smart coaches don't want to work for owners with no clue. The Rexes and Herms and Todds of the league have no other offers. 

I think that’s a cop out argument.  “We can’t fire our current crappy GM and Coach because ownership might hire someone even crappier”

This regime is 13-31 since benching Chris Ivory week 17 in 2015 and will be 13-36 by end of this season with a roster trending lower.  It doesn’t get any worse than that

Both Macagnan and Bowles need to be fired on Black Monday

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Its the only way they can validate them being owners who care and want to win. 

Retaining MM serves zero purpose. 

If Macagnan stays which I think will happen it’s a message being sent from the Johnson Bros that they are complacent and do not care about winning

Macagnan’s drafts have been mostly horrible, not average or bad but horrible.  His free agent signings mostly suck.  The guy is just a clown he’s the jets version of Ryan Grigson

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think that’s a cop out argument.  “We can’t fire our current crappy GM and Coach because ownership might hire someone even crappier”

This regime is 13-31 since benching Chris Ivory week 17 in 2015 and will be 13-36 by end of this season with a roster trending lower.  It doesn’t get any worse than that

Both Macagnan and Bowles need to be fired on Black Monday

I never said in the comment they shouldn't be fired, not once. the problem is everyone thinks the 5th time is a charm. if woody had to hire a new butler it wouldn't take 5 attempts. The owner just doesn't understand football. and at this point he's no longer cares. 

to buy out Bowles and Mac (and fire them) requires probably about 7-8 mil dollars. And then they have to hire consultants, who don't get out of bed for less than a half mil. Then they have to compete for a new GM/HC in a market where Jon Gruden is worth 100 Mil. That's not what they want to do.  

If/when they replace Bowles/Mac it will be another cheap first time guy no one has heard of and we will all wonder why he's not Parcells. We forget how much money it took Hess to lure Parcells here. It turns out hiring good employees costs money. 

Woody doesn't even spend to the cap, they don't have a real OLB for example

in a league where all revenues are split there's no real incentive to winning. The owner has to be committed to it, and there are probably about 15-20 who are committed. Then there are scrubs like woody who realize it's way cheaper and more profitable to lose. The last football game woody watched probably had the word Manchester in it. 

9 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Jet fans are incredibly resilient but I sense from reading the most recent posts on this board that a lot of the fans are beginning to finally give up after decades of ineptitude. There will always be fans who love to demonstrate their stalwart nature regardless of the quality of the product put on the field.  That is their right of course.  But many of us now realize that as long as Woody Johnson owns this team (even with his brother Chris allegedly making board level managerial decisions), the Jets will never excel.  I cannot divine why Woody/Chris consistently make atrocious decisions.  The bottom line is that they do.  Over and over again.  Looks like they will be firing Bowles at the end of this season but keeping Macc.  This prescription for disaster was tried before.  The Jets are like the Knicks, Mets, and Lions.  Players, managers, coaches and GMs come and go.  One thing remains constant: ownership that is incapable of producing a winning or even competitive team.  

It's impossible for me to quit on this team.  I've invested 40+ years of tears, elevated blood pressure, and a battered liver, and I want what's coming to me!  I'll be damned if some newbie fan gets to finally reap the rewards of a successful run and a Super Bowl win without me! :cheers:

Difference this year is that we have a true blue chip QB prospect. We haven’t had that since Namath. Sanchez and Pennington were graded 1st round prospects but were never considered to have elite talent.

We have seen flashes of brilliance from Darnold, but this sh*t franchise has put our 21 year old QB in impossible-to-succeed situations.

Roster sucks....coaches suck...front office sucks. So we are in danger of ruining our only real hope. This kid can be Andrew Luck, and we’re gonna make him into Sanchez if major changes aren’t made.

Even with Bowles gone, no one is confident Mac will hire the right coach or draft/sign the right players.

So yeah, 8 straight years without the playoffs at the end of this season. After the Bears make the playoffs, we will be 1 of 3 teams in this league of parity that holds that claim. (Jets...Bucs...Browns) 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I never said in the comment they shouldn't be fired, not once. the problem is everyone thinks the 5th time is a charm. if woody had to hire a new butler it wouldn't take 5 attempts. The owner just doesn't understand football. and at this point he's no longer cares. 

to buy out Bowles and Mac (and fire them) requires probably about 7-8 mil dollars. And then they have to hire consultants, who don't get out of bed for less than a half mil. Then they have to compete for a new GM/HC in a market where Jon Gruden is worth 100 Mil. That's not what they want to do.  

If/when they replace Bowles/Mac it will be another cheap first time guy no one has heard of and we will all wonder why he's not Parcells. We forget how much money it took Hess to lure Parcells here. It turns out hiring good employees costs money. 

in a league where all revenues are split there's no incentive to winning. It's way cheaper and more profitable to lose. 

Beginning to wonder if Johnsons' supposed wealth is not quite what it seems. An NFL team generates a lot of income, but with the Jets a lot of that is going to payoff their share of this boondoggle of a stadium. PSLs have not been the money pot they thought they were going to be. There are a lot of empty seats, and where they once didn't have a marketing department now Jets ticket ads are everywhere.

Or if as per their love of being center stage they will not hire a guy to run the show completely who directs them to sit in their luxury box and stay out of it. Bill Cowher or Jim Harbaugh are not coming here on the cheap and they aren't going to work for an owner who sticks his nose in things . And when you have a track record of meddling stupidly or breaking promises (like with Mangini and Marrone) competent people see that and want no part of it. 

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

exactly and the one way that losing will make Woody richer is if he is able to take the Jets across the pond where they will pay whatever so that they can have a real NFL team {ahem) in their backyard. Another season or two like these past ]-5 years and there won't even BE any old timers left to even watch the Jets or the NFL for that matter.

That's NEVER going to happen. The Jets will move back to one of the boroughs in New York City if they ever decide to leave New Jersey. 

If the Jets find a way to ruin Darnold (in typical Jets fashion) that might be enough for me to turn away from football altogether. I already find myself following the NFL outside of the Jets less and less over the years. Ruining our best shot at developing a Franchise QB since Broadway Joe would be enough for me to leave football alone...

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If the Jets find a way to ruin Darnold (in typical Jets fashion) that might be enough for me to turn away from football altogether. I already find myself following the NFL outside of the Jets less and less over the years. Ruining our best shot at developing a Franchise QB since Broadway Joe would be enough for me to leave football alone...

Are there only two options?  Darnold is good, or the Jets ruined him?

Is it possible that a guy who turned the ball over a ton in college continues to do so in the pros?

QBASE had Darnold at over 50% to bust.

This thread is titled "unfixable" the last couple week's I've been trying, at least therapeutically. 

I downloaded Madden 19, franchise. Sim the seasons, game plan training (no trades) and free agency and the draft.  To be clear I don't play the games, just sim the outcomes and try to GM the team back to life.

IT turns out, fixing the Jets is really hard, even in a simulation. Firing Bowles (he's considered a lvl1 coach) and hiring the best coach possible (usually a lvl 24) still only helps a little. 

The roster is totally screwed. It took years to get this garbage and it would take years to rebuild. The OL, for example, takes seasons of investment. There are no young good OL (defined as better than Beachum or Long) or pass rush OLBs making it to FA. This team can't be fixed in one or even two drafts.  

the best attempt, once they tanked 2-14 hard and drafted Nick Bosa at 1.1 in the 2019 draft. The team made the playoffs by 2021, (Leo plus Bosa= unblockable but it was a tough decision to resign both).

That was one playoff loss in maybe three dozen attempts. I still haven't had this franchise win a playoff game. 

it's easy to say I suck as a fake GM and madden is just a video game etc and maybe both of those is true but my point is fixing this team is like a 60 point process and if Darnold isn't good none of it matters.  

What makes a fan, Mr Lebowski?

It's really a matter of expectations. Why do people expect this team to win? 

I don't quit on these guys but current status is an all-time low:  I've stopped going to the games, stopped paying to watch games, stopped buying Jets merch and actively get in my car to go to AC and bet on the Patriots.   it's the emotional hedge, patent pending. There was a moment at 7-7 I thought about how good it would feel to "buy" the win against the Pats.  But yeah turns out they are terrible all along.  

18 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Beginning to wonder if Johnsons' supposed wealth is not quite what it seems. An NFL team generates a lot of income, but with the Jets a lot of that is going to payoff their share of this boondoggle of a stadium. PSLs have not been the money pot they thought they were going to be. There are a lot of empty seats, and where they once didn't have a marketing department now Jets ticket ads are everywhere.

Or if as per their love of being center stage they will not hire a guy to run the show completely who directs them to sit in their luxury box and stay out of it. Bill Cowher or Jim Harbaugh are not coming here on the cheap and they aren't going to work for an owner who sticks his nose in things . And when you have a track record of meddling stupidly or breaking promises (like with Mangini and Marrone) competent people see that and want no part of it. 

it's not even a question they are among the "poorest" of NFL ownership.

Forbes says the Johnsons are worth 4.5 Bil and they also say the Jets are worth 3 Bil. Ownership is ranked 30-31 in Forbes richest NFL owner list but the team is ranked 8th in total value. The best decision woody johnson ever made was to buy the Jets. If they were trying to do so today they wouldn't be rich enough. 

they have investments to be sure, but (just guessing) the bulk of the Johnson's non-NFL revenue is tied into real estate, not liquid. they aren't "poor" or "cheap" but they are cash poor compared to other owners and they'd rather spend the money on themselves. They live like royalty or 50 cent.

People don't realize what the 17 mil in unspent cap goes, that's where it goes. toward the Harrod's bill. The last band-aid money was 5 decades ago. the Johnsons use this team as a piggy bank they don't want to pay 4 mil just to fire Bowles a year early.  

I have no doubt that working with the Johnsons, in the system that they devised, made Bowles and Mac both worse at their jobs then they otherwise would be.  Mac and Bowles were still not the perfect choices. 

I also suspect that the Johnsons are cheap on the coaching and front office budget, which also constrains the team.

Darnold had flaws and could bust.  He could also be an Andy Dalton that can provide another 4 years of entertainment and potential playoff football.  He will be what he is coached to be.  

The Browns were another bad organization with a meddlesome owner.  With Dorsey at the helm they appear to have straightened out somewhat.  Dorsey is an experienced football professional who built the roster of a current top 5 team in the league.  

The Johnsons need to admit defeat, hire a real pro, and basically commit to another $10mm in executives, coaches, etc. per year.  

In a perfect world, they need a President, real GM, an offensive HC with strong assistants, and an experienced DC.

Using people we know and even doing some unlikely recycling:

President:  Mac, Shanahan, Cowher.

GM:  Heimerdinger (Mac can't be GM).

HC:  DeFellipo, Campbell.  

OC/QBC:  Morton, Bates.

DC:  Williams, Rex.

34 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It's impossible for me to quit on this team.  I've invested 40+ years of tears, elevated blood pressure, and a battered liver, and I want what's coming to me!  I'll be damned if some newbie fan gets to finally reap the rewards of a successful run and a Super Bowl win without me! :cheers:

Sunk cost fallacy.

Those fans giving up on the Jets after suffering decades of misery, will come back. It’s the nature. You get Divya Ted but you always want them to do good and once they are good, you come crying for them. Kinda like the ex wife that all of a sudden dropped a few inches of the waist and is now smoking hot again. 

We are closing in on 10 year since we last made the playoffs and almost 20 since we won the division. It's pathetic.

What I can't understand is why the ownership is allowing these two buffoons (Macc and Bowles) to even get through this season. Them staying on is going to come at the expense of developing some of our younger players, which in a season like this, is really the only thing that makes these games watchable.

Why do we have to watch a 39 year old QB play these games for us? Why not find out if Davis Webb has the potential to be a competent backup QB to Darnold? Because Bowles is going to do whatever he can to try and win as many games as he can to make his case to stay on as Head Coach. So Webb sits and a 39 year old QB who will likely retire at the end of the year gets to play. Pathetic. Nobody is gaining anything from this except possibly Bowles winning a meaningless game down the stretch of this season.

The Jets apparently think Deontay Burnettt could be a weapon for them going forward due to the chemistry he had with Darnold at USC. Fair enough. But why isn't he playing right now? Why is he losing snaps to a guy like Jermaine Kearse who is going to be a FA at the end of the season and will be playing elsewhere next year? Why doesn't Cannon get more touches? The Jets talked him up all off season. Parry Nickerson?

Bowles effort to save his job is going to come at the expense of some of our younger players who, to be fair, may or may not even be any good. But this is the time we should be finding out about them.

Archived