The Jags vs The Jets

jamesr

With all the changes in Jacksonville this week I couldn't help but see similarities to where we are at not that long ago. (EDIT - for clarity I'm referring to our 2009 - 2010 playoff runs followed by a disintegration).

• A team best known for a strong D
  • Lots of draft resources allocated to defense
  • An effective run game as the heart of their offense
  • A high draft pick QB who everyone wants to be better than he is
  • Re-signing said QB even though he'd never lived up to expectations
  • Multiple OCs fired because of said QB
  • All comes crashing down in pretty spectacular fashion after oh-so-nearly making the Superbowl the year before

I get the feeling that the changes this week are only the tip of the iceberg ... could be a complete overhaul coming in the off-season.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

With all the changes in Jacksonville this week I couldn't help but see similarities to where we are at not that long ago.

• All comes crashing down in pretty spectacular fashion after oh-so-nearly making the Superbowl the year before

I get the feeling that the changes this week are only the tip of the iceberg ... could be a complete overhaul coming in the off-season.

Jags knew Bortles was trash, but didnt have anybody else to replace him. Im sure they would have gone after Cousins if they had the cap room, but that wasnt the case. 

Just now, GreenWhite said:

Hes referring to 2009 and 2010

Correct. When we made our play off runs, it was defense and running game with just enough passing game to get by. It's like Jax used that as a blueprint for their current team.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Correct. When we made our play off runs, it was defense and running game with just enough passing game to get by. It's like Jax used that as a blueprint for their current team.

The only difference that I could point to is the Jags are a very young team.  The only starters on D they have over 28 are Calais Campbell and Barry Church.  And on offense, the only starter they have over 27 is Jermey Parnell.  They're young and still primed to be very good with a QB.  Those Jets teams were veteran led. 

In terms of philosophy, I agree, they're a ground and pound, play great D type of team, which we saw exactly why this season is a terrible way to build a team.  The OL gets beat up, the RB gets beat up and they've lost 7 straight games and its tough to win close games because they dont have a QB they can trust.

Similar but Jags are a QB away from being a contenders again, IMO.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The only difference that I could point to is the Jags are a very young team.  The only starters on D they have over 28 are Calais Campbell and Barry Church.  And on offense, the only starter they have over 27 is Jermey Parnell.  They're young and still primed to be very good with a QB.  Those Jets teams were veteran led. 

In terms of philosophy, I agree, they're a ground and pound, play great D type of team, which we saw exactly why this season is a terrible way to build a team.  The OL gets beat up, the RB gets beat up and they've lost 7 straight games and its tough to win close games because they dont have a QB they can trust.

Interesting point about their ages, I hadn't considered that.

Wonder if they'll try to sign a guy in FA to play QB, or go the draft route? I'm sure they'll feel a pressure to win now while those young guys are on rookie deals, so I'm guessing they'll go with a retread rather than a rookie. Ryan Tannehill anyone?

The Jags crash happens sometimes.  Look at how they have drafted.  With a high pick in each round and weaker schedule, expect them to be in the playoff hunt next year.  

I would rather have Adams than Fournette, just saying, so the Jets got that better.  I need to think about whether I would rather have Adams than Lattimore.  I would rather have Mahomes.  

The Jags will draft a QB and either switch Bortles for a vet like Manning or just ride him out until the rookie is ready.  

12 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Interesting point about their ages, I hadn't considered that.

Wonder if they'll try to sign a guy in FA to play QB, or go the draft route? I'm sure they'll feel a pressure to win now while those young guys are on rookie deals, so I'm guessing they'll go with a retread rather than a rookie. Ryan Tannehill anyone?

There are some rumors flying they might try to trade for Stafford.  Otherwise, I'd imagine they're going to draft a QB.  What does FA have available?  Bridgewater might make sense, a true game manager, perfect compliment to ground and pound.  The problem with them is, they're on the hook for at least 12 mil with Bortles.  Tough pill to swallow just to cut the kid.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jags crash happens sometimes.  Look at how they have drafted.  With a high pick in each round and weaker schedule, expect them to be in the playoff hunt next year.  

I would rather have Adams than Fournette, just saying, so the Jets got that better.  I need to think about whether I would rather have Adams than Lattimore.  I would rather have Mahomes.  

The Jags will draft a QB and either switch Bortles for a vet like Manning or just ride him out until the rookie is ready.  

The weaker sched thing is a myth. Only 2 games are determined by where you finish in the standings. Sometimes it works out to be harder than the other teams in your division and sometimes it's easier.  This isn't like the pre 90s expansion/pre FA era where there was a huge difference.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are some rumors flying they might try to trade for Stafford.  Otherwise, I'd imagine they're going to draft a QB.  What does FA have available?  Bridgewater might make sense, a true game manager, perfect compliment to ground and pound.  The problem with them is, they're on the hook for at least 12 mil with Bortles.  Tough pill to swallow just to cut the kid.

The Jags are picking right after the Jets right now so let's hope they win a couple more games. My reasoning is if the Jets stay at 4 & the Jags are at 6/7/8 we might be right in the MOVE UP FOR A QB position for a trade back. The Jags have a young team & adding a young QB is smart business. Bortles is a disaster & 3-8 is unacceptable. I guarantee you Macc wanted a 2nd originally from another team & the Jaguars balked, and their kicking themselves right now. Teddy could have been the Jolt the Jags needed.

Lets hope we're in position for a trade back. With a new offensive coach we need to draft picks & it's a fact we need to point towards 2020 for the big turnaround. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

and every NFL fan knew that. Bortles is hot garbage. The Jags should have traded for a QB, Bridgewater, or anyone with some talent.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The Jags are picking right after the Jets right now so let's hope they win a couple more games. My reasoning is if the Jets stay at 4 & the Jags are at 6/7/8 we might be right in the MOVE UP FOR A QB position for a trade back. The Jags have a young team & adding a young QB is smart business. Bortles is a disaster & 3-8 is unacceptable. I guarantee you Macc wanted a 2nd originally from another team & the Jaguars balked, and their kicking themselves right now. Teddy could have been the Jolt the Jags needed.

Lets hope we're in position for a trade back. With a new offensive coach we need to draft picks & it's a fact we need to point towards 2020 for the big turnaround. 

Only problem is, I'm not sure there is a QB worthy of being taken that high and the last time they reached for a QB, they ended up with Blake Bortles. 

51 minutes ago, Stark said:

and every NFL fan knew that. Bortles is hot garbage. The Jags should have traded for a QB, Bridgewater, or anyone with some talent.

From everything I hear around town, the Jags felt Bortles deserved this year for how he finished last year.  He did have a run in Dec. where he was really playing great Football and I guess they let them fool them, it's shocking their only move for Cody Kessler.  

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

From everything I hear around town, the Jags felt Bortles deserved this year for how he finished last year.  He did have a run in Dec. where he was really playing great Football and I guess they let them fool them, it's shocking their only move for Cody Kessler.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick had good RUNS too, lol.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Only problem is, I'm not sure there is a QB worthy of being taken that high and the last time they reached for a QB, they ended up with Blake Bortles. 

That's the beauty of the 4 spot, especially now having our QB. NFL draft is so weird, there is ALWAYS a QB who rises during the period leading up to the draft. If the Jets aren't too greedy they could move back slightly & get some decent comp for it. Be awesome to get our 2nd & another 3rd! Having 3 thirds gives you a lot of choices. 

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't really see the comparison now. They have way more talent that we do and Darnold is still going to be way better than Bortles IMO.

The 2017-18 Jags feel a lot like the 2009-2012 Jets though. Elite defense carried a bad QB to the AFC Title game, then the team craters afterward.

That was what I was thinking back to ... when it all fell apart after our two AFCCG runs. QB regressed, finger pointing between O and D, lack of continuity at skill positions.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

That was what I was thinking back to ... when it all fell apart after our two AFCCG runs. QB regressed, finger pointing between O and D, lack of continuity at skill positions.

Only it seems that their locker room was a lot more volatile than that Jets team was. That Jets team was more unified. Also the Jets kind of tapered off. This Jags team crashed

9 hours ago, jamesr said:

With all the changes in Jacksonville this week I couldn't help but see similarities to where we are at not that long ago.

I stopped reading at "strong D".

Archived