Le’Veon Bell Hints At Wanting to Play W/ Andrew Luck and Colts

Patriot Killa

Le'Veon Bell speculates about playing with Andrew Luck, sparking Colts rumors

Le’Veon Bell failed to report to the Steelers by the deadline, and did not sign his franchise tender, so it’s safe to say his tenure in Pittsburgh has come to a close.

And while there’s still five weeks of regular-season play remaining in the NFL’s 2018 campaign, Bell is already beginning to look toward to next spring, as he prepares to test the free-agent market.

An interesting social media exchange took place when the NFL posted a photo of Andrew Luck on Instagram, pointing out that he had thrown 3+ touchdowns in eight consecutive games. Bell commented on it, and had this to say:

43285F4C-8649-4EA5-AC11-98F17362BC04.jpeg

Of course Bell would want to play for the Colts, a team that could use a veteran running back to pair with Marlon Mack/Nyheim Hines, with arguably the best offensive line in the NFL. Not only that, he’d be playing behind Luck.

The fit makes sense on paper, but it remains to be seen if the new Colts regime would be interested in Bell’s off-field issues.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't blame him here. Nicer place to play, quieter place to live, better QB, better OL, nicer fans, much easier division.

The Jets can offer Darnold, who can be just as good as Luck and is younger, and more money. If he's also the Jet fan he claimed to be then there's that too.

Makes a ton of sense. They're the only team in the NFL that has more cap space than we do. Of course he'd rather play with Luck than a 2nd year guy looking to rebound from a disastrous rookie season. I'm betting he hears we're the likely destination and is trying to stoke up "Bell to the Colts" rumors. Get their fans clamoring for him.

Doesn't mean the Colts will pay him of course. And I seriously doubt he's taking a discount to sign anywhere. You don't sit out for a year giving up 14.5 million to reach UFA at all costs in order to get away from the Steelers... To take a discount and play with a good QB. If all he wanted was to win and play with a great QB he'd be signed long term in Pittsburgh. He wants every dime of guaranteed money he can get... And my guess is Chris Ballard is a much smarter team builder than Mike Maccagnan.

Bells an idiot, as much as I'd like to see him in a Jet uniform, you dont dis an entire fan base TWICE! I let his 60 million to play for Jets comment slide as he was looking at Josh McCown as the QB. But this guy just can't stay quiet & has to tweet about playing for the Colts? Well good, go play for the Colts. We're a 2/3 year rebuild anyway, he would have helped but we don't need high priced free agents who RELUCTANTLY come here like Trumaine Johnson. 

Bell makes whoever the GMs decision pretty easy.

The Colts have had a ton of success with their 3 young RB's this year.  Combined they've rushed for 1,157 yard at 4.9 ypc.  They've also caught 64 passes for 406 yards.  That's in 11 games.  Compare that to the Rams who have Gurley, their 1/2 combo has rushed for 1,247 yard at 5.0 ypc.  Caught 48 passes for 498 yards.  For the Colts, there is really no need to invest that much into the RB position when you have 3 very good young and versatile players at the position.  They have 2 more years with all 3 of them under contract and 2 of them have 3 years left.  Now the Jets on the other hand don't have that combo or the star like the Rams do.  They have McGuire who I think would be a very good complement to Bell and they have Cannon who I think will improve and at some point may be able to develop into a Darren Sproles "lite" type player.  If I'm the Jets I offer a contract that they can get out of after year 2 if they have to but after year 3 would have the biggest savings and would be where I targeted.  Then I'd look to draft the best available back with my early 3rd as insurance to Bell if they do have to release him after year 2.  Hopefully the Jets will look to move back in the draft in the 1st to bring in an extra 2nd or 3rd round picks to build some quality depth on the offensive line and skill positions.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bells an idiot, as much as I'd like to see him in a Jet uniform, you dont dis an entire fan base TWICE! I let his 60 million to play for Jets comment slide as he was looking at Josh McCown as the QB. But this guy just can't stay quiet & has to tweet about playing for the Colts? Well good, go play for the Colts. We're a 2/3 year rebuild anyway, he would have helped but we don't need high priced free agents who RELUCTANTLY come here like Trumaine Johnson. 

How many 2/3 year rebuilds is this franchise going to undergo? By my count it's 19.6 rebuilds since we were in the Super Bowl. 

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Makes a ton of sense. They're the only team in the NFL that has more cap space than we do. Of course he'd rather play with Luck than a 2nd year guy looking to rebound from a disastrous rookie season. I'm betting he hears we're the likely destination and is trying to stoke up "Bell to the Colts" rumors. Get their fans clamoring for him.

Doesn't mean the Colts will pay him of course. And I seriously doubt he's taking a discount to sign anywhere. You don't sit out for a year giving up 14.5 million to reach UFA at all costs in order to get away from the Steelers... To take a discount and play with a good QB. If all he wanted was to win and play with a great QB he'd be signed long term in Pittsburgh. He wants every dime of guaranteed money he can get... And my guess is Chris Ballard is a much smarter team builder than Mike Maccagnan.

The season isn't over.  I'm hoping with everyone returning to the lineup that he'll show steady improvement over the last quarter of the season.  Although this coaching staff scares the crap out of me.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Of course he wants to play there.  Wouldn't you?

Luck, Bell, TY Hilton, etc....I'd sign up for that if I was him.

Get ready for Bell to pull a Cousins and take less money to play elsewhere.

Imagine they draft someone big and fast to play WR #1 like DK Metcalf. 

That would be sick. They would revive the Colts as consistent AFC threats for the first time since Peyton Manning’s prime days.

Might even catch the Steelers in a Division Round one day.??‍♂️ What a story line type of game that would be.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well, can’t blame him man. That’s an awesome place to land for him as a player if they give him the money he wants. I mean that’s a golden choice to me.

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Colts have had a ton of success with their 3 young RB's this year.  Combined they've rushed for 1,157 yard at 4.9 ypc.  They've also caught 64 passes for 406 yards.  That's in 11 games.  Compare that to the Rams who have Gurley, their 1/2 combo has rushed for 1,247 yard at 5.0 ypc.  Caught 48 passes for 498 yards.  For the Colts, there is really no need to invest that much into the RB position when you have 3 very good young and versatile players at the position.  They have 2 more years with all 3 of them under contract and 2 of them have 3 years left.  Now the Jets on the other hand don't have that combo or the star like the Rams do.  They have McGuire who I think would be a very good complement to Bell and they have Cannon who I think will improve and at some point may be able to develop into a Darren Sproles "lite" type player.  If I'm the Jets I offer a contract that they can get out of after year 2 if they have to but after year 3 would have the biggest savings and would be where I targeted.  Then I'd look to draft the best available back with my early 3rd as insurance to Bell if they do have to release him after year 2.  Hopefully the Jets will look to move back in the draft in the 1st to bring in an extra 2nd or 3rd round picks to build some quality depth on the offensive line and skill positions.

Stop. Eli McGuire is nothing special. Doesn't make plays that Powell would, and can't catch... Eli is a JAG running back.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The season isn't over.  I'm hoping with everyone returning to the lineup that he'll show steady improvement over the last quarter of the season.  Although this coaching staff scares the crap out of me.

For sure. But the reality is that we're 70% of the way through the season, he doesn't have a return date and with 3 "good" games on his resume it's going to be hard to brand his rookie season as a success.

But yeah, I'm gonna watch every game from here on out and hope he shows some of the promise he showed early in the season.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Imagine they draft someone big and fast to play WR #1 like DK Metcalf. 

That would be sick. They would revive the Colts as consistent AFC threats for the first time since Peyton Manning’s prime days.

Might even catch the Steelers in a Division Round one day.??‍♂️ What a story line type of game that would be.

Unlike the Jets, if they sign Bell I think they can/should turn to defense with their draft picks.  Hilton is still good, Eric Ebron is starting to emerge as a TE1, they just drafted that big OG last year.  They have the 2nd most Points Scored in the AFC behind the Chiefs.

If they sign Bell and use their 1st to get a disruptive defender then the Colts are back and have a multi-year window open with a healthy Andrew Luck.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 9.41.49 AM.png

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unlike the Jets, if they sign Bell I think they can/should turn to defense with their draft picks.  Hilton is still good, Eric Ebron is starting to emerge as a TE1, they just drafted that big OG last year.  They have the 2nd most Points Scored in the AFC behind the Chiefs.

If they sign Bell and use their 1st to get a disruptive defender then the Colts are back and have a multi-year window open with a healthy Andrew Luck.

Oh yeah, they definitely have to spend picks on defense. They can afford to use that 2nd Rounder they got from us to draft another WR though. Other than that go Defense and get a pass rusher and maybe try to focus on the secondary some as well. They regularly get ripped through the air. Getting Malik Hooker at FS was a good start. They need corners.

35 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It does make a ton of sense.  And if I were Bell, that would be a very attractive landing spot.  Luck is amazing.  It's a winning franchise and stable franchise.  Reich would get him all kinds of involved.  Play indoors in a wide open division.  I get it.  Very desirable place for a guy like him.

That said, I wouldnt pay him if I were the Colts.  They're not in the Jets situation.  Offense is their strength, they're already a top 5 team. They're a desperate team looking for any resemblance of talent to fill they're roster.  They actually have a very dynamic backfield and when healthy, Marlon Mack has proved be a beast.  Ebron is one of the few times in my life I've seen a FA skills player go to another team and get better.  Hilton is incredible.  They'd be better served to spread that money around and get deeper and better other positions. 

But who knows, Reich might be looking at Bell and licking his chops to get his hands on a player like that...they could be nasty with him a weapon like him they can line up all over the place. 

If the Jets let Bell go anywhere else it's a colossal error by the FO.  I can tell you right now that they're selling Bell as a done deal to the media and the owner to keep their jobs and to stem the criticism of not addressing the offense in a meaningful way before and during the season.  If that doesn't happen it's going to be a big issue in Jet land.  I get the frustration with saying Bell is greedy but you can't deny his talent.  Darnold needs playmakers and the draft is such a crapshoot when it comes to RB's that you can't just rely on a rookie to solve your issues.  Their is no Saquon Barkley in this draft that is an obvious pick and I don't trust this FO to draft offensive players.  Bell is an obvious upgrade to the lineup. 

If the Jets FO wants to impress me, which they could give two F's about me or you, they'd do this:

-Re-sign Enunwa

-Tender Anderson at a 2nd round tender and if you get an offer MOVE HIM IMMEDIATELY

-Sign Bell

-Sign 2 or 3 of these WR's - Funchess, Cobb, Tyrell Williams, John Brown, Golden Tate, Jamison Crowder

-Sign Jared Cook (TE) - to pair with Herndon

-Sign Paradis (C)

-Sign Spain (G)

With those signings/re-signings they can turn this offense from one of the worst in the league to one of the best.  And most importantly they'd be surrounding their young Franchise QB with a lot of talent.  They have the money to do all of that.  With 2019 being such a deep defensive draft I can see them going very heavy offensively in Free Agency and then trying to address pass rusher with their 1st round pick and then BPA the rest of the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

Stop. Eli McGuire is nothing special. Doesn't make plays that Powell would, and can't catch... Eli is a JAG running back.

Unfortunately, I agree with this.  I do think there's hope he could become a Powell-like RB but let's be real, he'll likely never be better than a low-end RB2 or change-of-pace type RB in my opinion.

McGuire missed a lot of time with the foot injury and, like all the other Jets, is playing on a bad offense, so I don't want to judge him completely on how he's playing right now.  There's hope he'll be a solid rotational guy but we already know that he's not one of those lucky, rare finds in the draft who is going to emerge as a starter.  I think we would have seen that already.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh yeah, they definitely have to spend picks on defense. They can afford to use that 2nd Rounder they got from us to draft another WR though. Other than that go Defense and get a pass rusher and maybe try to focus on the secondary some as well. They regularly get ripped through the air. Getting Malik Hooker at FS was a good start. They need corners.

Geez.....maybe I should get a Colts jersey next year. lol  :unsure:

40 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Can't blame him here. Nicer place to play, quieter place to live, better QB, better OL, nicer fans, much easier division.

The Jets can offer Darnold, who can be just as good as Luck and is younger, and more money. If he's also the Jet fan he claimed to be then there's that too.

AND LOWER TAXES

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

A small child playing with a set of alphabet blocks is a smarter team builder than Mike Maccagnan.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He just sat our a year foregoing $14 million,  If the colts offered him $14 mill and another team offers him 14 mill and one dollar he will sign with the other team.

The Johnson's would draw some weird line and lose Bell over that one dollar.

Archived