John Harbaugh to the Jets?

DetroitRed

13 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s a wackpacker from the Howard Stern show that uses Periscope. I figured some people here would know what I was talking about haha. 

NO!!!  sorry for confusion.   I am a HUGE Stern fan.  I knew that. I was listening LIVE when "Baba Booey" was created. I was on the Cross Bronx driving to a client.  HUGE Stern fan!!!  Periscope is what I don't know.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jolot said:

All I want out of Darnold is a Super Bowl...I’m 47 I’m getting too old for this S##t...so YES...I would sign for Flacco’s career right now for Darnold. 

You're signing up for his statistics, not his SB, not his playoff appearances, none of that.  Flacco and Harbaugh are both lucky the Ravens are perpetually in the top 5 on defense or else their careers would be much different.  And I lump Harbaugh into that b/c he has nothing to do with the defense that's been there since Billick.  All of that credit goes to Mike Nolan for bringing the 3-4 to the Ravens and then the FO for bringing in players that to this day excel in that system.

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So what you're saying is that you'd be happy if Darnold is only as good as Flacco?  Which doesn't guarantee a SB mind you it just guarantees you 3,500 yards, 19 tds and 12 int on average every year.  You'd be happy with that?  From 2008-2012 (The year they won the SB) he averaged 20 TD's & 11 Int.  From 2013 thru 2017 he's averaged 20 Tds & 15 Int.  That's all you want from Darnold?  He's been Top 10 in Yards, TD's, Rating, YPA and Comp % 1 time each and that was in 2010.  8 years ago.  I didn't realize that's all you wanted out of Darnold.  Interesting.

Flacco is garbage and always has been.  The fact that Harbaugh got a Super Bowl out of him is a borderline miracle.

No, I expect Darnold to be much better than Joe Flacco under John Harbaugh. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Go to a restaurant and a traditional family of 4, all on their phones.

Fukk that. I'd put the Jeter rule in. ALL phones in the basket when we eat.

I do it now. I leave my phone in the car when I go in to a restaurant, shopping etc.

I live the majority of my life not really knowing where my phone is. I literally have my wife or kids check on "find my I phone" just to make sure its still within my property limits. LOL 

• Upvote 1

I think I'd be good with Harbaugh if he is available. He is a respected and experienced HC which is what this franchise desperately needs. His teams always play the PATS tough. He is no-nonsense and can handle the media. His teams are not great offensively so that gives me some pause, plus marty morningdouche is his OC. But he did get good production out of Flacco who is not a great QB and is making Lamar Jackson productive. His positives greatly outweigh his negatives IMO.  

You can do a hell of a lot worse, and not much better than John Harbaugh in 2019. Super Bowl victory aside, his teams have been respectable and he has Belichick's number. This franchise is hopefully going to do what is best for Darnold, so maybe Kubiak comes here at OC.

The argument that coaches will shy away from New York because of Macc is understandable, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the assumption that Harbaugh and Kubiak are on board, I don't see a scenario where they are not heavily involved in the scouting of talent. Even if Macc was dumped in 2020, I don't think that finding a GM who would "settle" on a team led by Harbaugh and a third year QB would be too hard. 

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

NO!!!  sorry for confusion.   I am a HUGE Stern fan.  I knew that. I was listening LIVE when "Baba Booey" was created. I was on the Cross Bronx driving to a client.  HUGE Stern fan!!!  Periscope is what I don't know.  

Oh yeah, well, I used to take the F train in the morning with Richard Christy, but was too much of a wuss to even give him a head nod. My friend once at a Hershey's Kiss out of Jackie's poop chute. 

35 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You're signing up for his statistics, not his SB, not his playoff appearances, none of that.  Flacco and Harbaugh are both lucky the Ravens are perpetually in the top 5 on defense or else their careers would be much different.  And I lump Harbaugh into that b/c he has nothing to do with the defense that's been there since Billick.  All of that credit goes to Mike Nolan for bringing the 3-4 to the Ravens and then the FO for bringing in players that to this day excel in that system.

So Harbaugh deserves zero credit for the defense and zero credit for the offense... And zero credit for all the winning? He's just a figure head along for the ride? That's your argument?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Well Chad, Me think Albert Breer's periscope may be slightly jumping the gun here. being the guy is still the head coach of another team.

Are we going to be hit with tampering charges?  Watch us lose our 1st round pick...

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t want anything to do with an OC who has limited or no playcalling experience at all.

That’s a MASSIVE gamble that could turn out screwing Darnold over for good and keeping us stranded up sh*ts river without a paddle for another 5+ years.

If we bring in Harbaugh then I hope he tabs an experienced, respected OC that he has past experience with like Gary Kubiak or Hue Jackson.

Am I reading this right????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pennington said:

If we don't care about developing Darnold or actually having a top of the league offense either of the Harbaughs would be a solid choice. The best teams in the league all feature wide open up tempo offenses so sure lets go with another ground and pound jerkoff. I would take a shot at finding the next Sean McVay; lets swing for the fences for once instead of going with the safe boring choice.

I would’ve felt the same way a few weeks ago, but now he’s playing Jackson. Who knows? At least he’s had success in Baltimore....

• Thumb Down 1

i don't think harbaugh is a given at this moment.  he's still hc of the ravens and the jets can't approach him until after the season ends.  on the other hand we've seen how many deals are made during the season that don't come into effect until the new league year begins . they're all hush-hush so the shield doesn't get embarrassed by all the tampering.  it just stands to reason that if the rumors does become hot and from multiple sources then there's a good chance it could be true.

at the very least it will give the jets fans something good to think about at the end of the season.

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I live the majority of my life not really knowing where my phone is. I literally have my wife or kids check on "find my I phone" just to make sure its still within my property limits. LOL 

This is me. Lol. Not much better with car keys and wallet either.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Thanks for posting the link.

So a listener asks him who he thinks the next head coach of the Jets will be.  His answer is Lets go with John Harbaugh.  That is all he says.  He is not reporting anything, Sounds to me like he is just taking a guess.  Nothing more than that.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So Harbaugh deserves zero credit for the defense and zero credit for the offense... And zero credit for all the winning? He's just a figure head along for the ride? That's your argument?

Harbaugh IS more of a figure head type of coach.  He was mainly a special teams guy as an assistant.  He was a DB coach for 1 season and then the Ravens hired him as HC after Garrett re-signed with the Cowboys. 

He has no defensive experience beyond that one year. The Ravens have had the same defensive scheme since 2002.  Since that time the Ravens have always hired from within to replace an outgoing DC.  The reason for that is simple, the FO has done a good job of replenishing players within that scheme and there is no reason to mess with the success they've had.  Since 2002 their defense has only been worse than 12th in yards 3 times and in points 2 times.  Harbaugh gets no credit for the defense at all. 

On offense he has zero experience as an offensive assistant in the NFL and you'd have to go back to 1987 where he was a Tight Ends coach for the University of Pittsburgh to find any experience on the offensive side of the ball.  He has no experience calling plays or even running an offense. 

So yes I do believe that he is more of a figure head type coach who oversees the team and delegates a lot of responsibility to the OC and DC.  That's not a bad thing at all.  In fact I kind of like that approach.  I think a Head Coach can multi-task better when they have no attachment to either side of the ball.  As we've seen with Rex and Bowles they coach conservatively on offense b/c they have a bloated sense of how good their defenses are.

What is going to be key is for him to bring in the modern offensive mind that we've been dying for to run this offense.  He can't bring in a dinosaur along the lines of Mornhinweg.  A guy on the current Ravens staff that I think he'd be interested to bring over for OC is James Urban (44 years old).  He's the QB's coach in Baltimore.  Prior to that he was the Bengals WR's coach for 7 seasons.  And prior to that he worked under Andy Reid in Philly for 7 seasons the last 2 in '09 & '10 as the QB's coach.  He helped guide McNabb and Vick to the Pro Bowl in those seasons.  He's also a West Coast guy which fits what offense Harbaugh has run the past 4 seasons.

As far as Defense I again think he'd look to bring in a guy from the Ravens to run their system.  Mike Macdonald (30 years old) is a guy I would keep an eye on for that move.  He's been the defensive backs ('17) and linebackers coach ('18) their and is said to be real close to their current DC Martindale.  If Martindale went anywhere I think Mcdonald would be the logical choice to take his spot in Baltimore as the DC.  Or, if Martindale gets canned alongside Harbaugh I'd think Martindale goes with Harbaugh wherever he goes.  Harbaugh needs guys he can count on to run the show.

I think I'd be ok with both of his Coordinators and honestly as I type this I'm talking myself into the idea of bringing Harbaugh over more and more haha.

I’m really not trying to start a s**t storm here, but don’t you think Darnold has to show more this year for any top candidate to want to come here? I realize how few openings there are for HC jobs, but aside for our hope that Sam is for real, what else do we have that would make the Jets an attractive landing spot?

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m really not trying to start a s**t storm here, but don’t you think Darnold has to show more this year for any top candidate to want to come here? I realize how few openings there are for HC jobs, but aside for our hope that Sam is for real, what else do we have that would make the Jets an attractive landing spot?

Any top candidate will be smart enough to look at more than results- Ability, temperament, processing ability, etc.

Reportedly, Darnold checks all those boxes fro people who know.

After all the failed rookie HCs, Im fine with a retread like Harbaugh....we can't do much better if we are going the retread route. I know he's not the young hot shot offensive mind we all want but I believe in him to build a competitive team....

Maybe he can hire someone like Zac or Press Taylor as OC if he does become our next HC...

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks for posting the link.

So a listener asks him who he thinks the next head coach of the Jets will be.  His answer is Lets go with John Harbaugh.  That is all he says.  He is not reporting anything, Sounds to me like he is just taking a guess.  Nothing more than that.

That’s how I took it also.