Robby Anderson doesn't want the RFA tag

Sperm Edwards

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/11/jets-robby-anderson-restricted-free-agent

November 29th, 2018 at 3:17pm CST by Zach Links

Robby Anderson does not want to receive a restricted free agent tender from the Jets this offseason, as Manish Mehta of the Daily News writes. But, unfortunately for the wide receiver, he doesn’t really have a choice in the matter.

Robby-Andersonvert-239x300.jpg

Anderson was hoping to break out this season and garner a multi-year extension from the Jets. So far, things have not gone according to plan. With just 23 catches for 368 yards and three touchdowns so far this year, it’s unlikely that the Jets will make a lengthy commitment to Anderson, but that won’t stop him from trying.

I would hope not to be tendered,” said Anderson. “Because I don’t want to be here for possibly just one more year. I want to be here for the long term. I feel like I worked hard. [The RFA tender] is a step up from where I’m at now. But I want to be here for the long term.

The RFA tender would indeed mark a big step up for the 25-year-old (26 in May). This year, he’s earning roughly $633K this year, but the tender would pay him about $3.1MM for 2019.

It’s not a given that the Jets will use the tender on Anderson, but it seems awfully probable after they turned down the Eagles’ offer of a fourth-round pick before the trade deadline. After that, if Anderson stays healthy and out of off-the-field trouble, the Jets would probably be willing to discuss a longer arrangement.

I want to be one of the best to ever do it,” Anderson said. “That’s my goal and my mission. And I know that’s not going to happen overnight. It’s not going to happen in a year. It’s going to take time. I know it’s a journey. And I know it’s in God’s hands more than anything. So, I just try to keep a positive mindset and keep working.”

Anderson is a long way from GOAT discussion, but he did show promise last year. The former UDFA finished out the 2017 season with 63 catches for 941 yards and seven touchdowns.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't blame him for wanting that, but he's done nothing this year to deserve an extension, unless he's willing to take one worth little more than the vet minimum, or at the very least, a deal with excessively little in guarantees.

Anderson is a near lock to get slapped with the 2nd round tender this offseason, which is actually probably the best case scenario for both parties in this situation.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't blame him for wanting that, but he's done nothing this year to deserve an extension, unless he's willing to take one worth little more than the vet minimum, or at the very least, a deal with excessively little in guarantees.

Anderson is a near lock to get slapped with the 2nd round tender this offseason, which is actually probably the best case scenario for both parties in this situation.

Hardly anyone on offense has done anything to deserve an extension. Q should be extended. If we could get a "modern" NFL offense Robby could have a decent sized role, just look at last season. 

I only say this to say, under this coaching staff the only thing we know is inconsistency and what appears to be a handcuffed system. I am fine with tendering him as a 2nd rounder as you say above, I agree.

10 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

A 4th round pick is a highly insulting offer for a 25 year old controllable player who had almost 1000yds the year before. Eagles must not think very highly of Macagnan and co if they thought they could pull that off.

Glad that Macc outsmarted them and said no then.  Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would look to extend him.  Start at 3 for $15-18M with $6-9M guaranteed.  Decent amount of conduct clauses.  Not a crazy contract, but it is a decent step up from the tender and more than double the guarantee.  In exchange he gives us more years.  Guessing he probably gets more, but we will see. 

Based on what?  He's a 1 trick pony long ball HR thats it. Any pass where he has to battle for the ball he loses. Anytime he's hit hard he fumbles. He runs lazy sloppy routes. 

COME ON MAN 

Let's see if we extend him. The player is actually pressuring the GM to extend him following a major down season statistically, in which he also finally got injured (a not-uncommon concern with his slight frame), and in an offseason in which he has no leverage and the Jets have plenty of cap room to sign someone else.

Interesting that the top offer anyone was willing to surrender - for a dirt-cheap salary Robby with another nearly-as-dirt-cheap RFA season coming up - was a lone mid/late 4th round pick the following season. The team has tremendous leverage right now. Let's see how they use it.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Robby should consider having a really strong finish, then see what happens. 

Absolutely.

I get the concept of money in the hand and all that, but you don't make demand overtures after a 400-yard season while you have no leverage. There's another concept of buy low sell high, and right now he's selling low. Let's see if we're smart enough to buy low. 

He's offering the team a gift but he might just be too stupid to realize it. He's one of those few who should want to wait a year so he can get his dollars up. Year 2 with Darnold, plus they'll surely sign/draft another receiver to replace Kearse, who'll take still less coverage off him. It could mean a solid $5m per year on his next deal, and since he's a speed guy it may be his one and only big cash-in, plus unrestricted FA is just a season away at this point. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Based on what?  He's a 1 trick pony long ball HR thats it. Any pass where he has to battle for the ball he loses. Anytime he's hit hard he fumbles. He runs lazy sloppy routes. 

COME ON MAN 

Don't you ******* all caps me dude! 

Check out what receivers are getting on the open market.  Donte Moncrief got near $10M.  Check his stats.  Then tell me how many tricks he used to get them.  Ryan Grant got $5M after Baltimore voided 4/$29M because Crabtree became available. Paul Richardson and Albert Wilson are comparatively trash and they got 5/$40M and 3/$24M respectively.  Don't complain to me because you don't understand the market.  

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let's see if we extend him. The player is actually pressuring the GM to extend him following a major down season statistically, in which he also finally got injured (a not-uncommon concern with his slight frame), and in an offseason in which he has no leverage and the Jets have plenty of cap room to sign someone else.

Interesting that the top offer anyone was willing to surrender - for a dirt-cheap salary Robby with another nearly-as-dirt-cheap RFA season coming up - was a lone mid/late 4th round pick the following season. The team has tremendous leverage right now. Let's see how they use it.

Who do you think leaked that 4th round pick story?  My guess is us trying to downgrade his value, and/or get a 2nd or 3rd for him. 

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I know some of you don't want to hear this... or don't believe it.

But IMO, Robby is not part of the problem... he is going to be part of the solution.  The failure on offense is partly because they aren't featuring him like they did last season.

I agree with you, though I think some of the "featuring" is due to more than just gameplans. Like it or not, and arm strength or not, McCown was twice the QB in 2017 that Darnold's been in 2018. He was banged up a little this year, and that robbed him of some yardage numbers, but he wouldn't be threatening 1000 yards anyway this year.

That said, Robby didn't suddenly lose speed or talent. He didn't suddenly get "figured out" as people like to say about lots of players. He's not as well-rounded as some receivers but he's a dangerous big-play weapon when used right, even without being a willing/punishing blocker or going over the middle & sacrificing his body in a crowd. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Check out what receivers are getting on the open market.  Donte Moncrief got near $10M.  Check his stats.  Then tell me how many tricks he used to get them.  Ryan Grant got $5M after Baltimore voided 4/$29M because Crabtree became available. Paul Richardson and Albert Wilson are comparatively trash and they got 5/$40M and 3/$24M respectively.  Don't complain to me because you don't understand the market.  

So because other teams are paying a kings ransom for JAG's the NY Jets should too??????? 

I understand the market completely and thats why I don't want to see the NY Jets overpay for an underachiever. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Who do you think leaked that 4th round pick story?  My guess is us trying to downgrade his value, and/or get a 2nd or 3rd for him. 

Distinct possibility it could be the team. The leak seems to have come directly via Manish, who's been sucking off Maccagnan now that the writing seems to be on the walls that he's returning. Could also be that he heard because there are other people in the building who heard; the GM may not be his only source among those who work in Florham Park offices.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Lol

My guess is nothing happens, because that's the GM's repeated pattern of behavior (to let everyone play through their final contract/control seasons and then begin serious negotiations after he's surrendered all his leverage). This is when he'd get a favorable deal for the team, if there was ever a chance to get one. Left to his own devices he'll wait for Robby to have a bounce-back season statistically in 2019 and then will make a UFA-rate offer to a player whom he had 2 years to extend. He'll tag him with a 2nd rounder and let him play out that year, unless some final-4 team thinks he's worth their pick after the 2019 draft is over (or the time cutoff is probably after the 2019 2nd round is over).

• 1st round tender is ~$4m and change
  • 2nd round tender is $3m and change (keep in mind this could be as low as pick #62 overall in 2020)

Smart move is to bang something out before he bounces back with an 800-1000+ yard season in 2019. Until something is signed we should tag him with a 1st round tender. The team can work out a deal to accept a lower pick if it chooses, while a 1st round tender prevents competitive bidding to force their hand. This is how to play it, instead of trying to get too cute with only a 2nd rounder, just to save $1m in an offseason in which the team will have ~100x that available; net difference to Robby is ~$500K so it won't have an impact on what he'll accept. A team that values $1m of cap room doesn't sign Josh McCown for $10m. 

The only reason to tag him with a 2nd round tender is if the #60 pick in 2020 is deemed acceptable compensation. Given the rate at which the top FA WRs have told the Jets to piss off, our GM drafting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round WRs who barely play as rookies and then never earn playing time again, and with so few draft "wins" for the GM over 4 years, I don't think they're yet in a position to scoff at extending Robby. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So because other teams are paying a kings ransom for JAG's the NY Jets should too??????? 

I understand the market completely and thats why I don't want to see the NY Jets overpay for an underachiever. 

Enjoy replacing him with some worse trash for more money.  You do realize that the Jets paid more than $4M for Terrelle Pryor.  Were you in favor of that?  Pretty sure you were. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Enjoy replacing him with some worse trash for more money.  You do realize that the Jets paid more than $4M for Terrelle Pryor.  Were you in favor of that?  Pretty sure you were. 

No I wasn't even though Pryor was an upgrade from Hansen,Smith,Marshall,Stewart and Peake who are JAG'S  this team needs better players at many skilled positions especially WR. 

I want superstar players not JAG's sick and tired of losing and tired of signing players that wouldn't be in the NFL if it weren't for the NY Jets. 

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Paying Robby Anderson an exorbitant amount of money. What could go wrong?

We wouldn't have as much to spend on the next Trumaine Johnson, Mo Wilkerson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Ryan Clady...[fill in names of 20 other stupid veteran contracts]? 

Show me the line of risk-free (or even low-risk), high-talent players willing to sign with the Jets. Then I'll be swayed, lol. 

Or are we saving up for Darron Lee's extension? ;) 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No I wasn't even though Pryor was an upgrade from Hansen,Smith,Marshall,Stewart and Peake who are JAG'S  this team needs better players at many skilled positions especially WR. 

I want superstar players not JAG's sick and tired of losing and tired of signing players that wouldn't be in the NFL if it weren't for the NY Jets. 

You can wish for them but that doesn't mean you get them. Other teams want them, too, and they're better and more attractive destinations. You can get what you can get, not what you wish and pray for. 

Elite WRs aren't coming here. The only "superstar" players coming here are the ones doing a final cash-in so they can sleepwalk through the bulk (or entirety) of the guaranteed portions of their contracts. 

Live in the now, man.

Archived