Robby Anderson doesn't want the RFA tag

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We wouldn't have as much to spend on the next Trumaine Johnson, Mo Wilkerson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Ryan Clady...[fill in names of 20 other stupid veteran contracts]? 

Show me the line of risk-free (or even low-risk), high-talent players willing to sign with the Jets. Then I'll be swayed, lol. 

Or are we saving up for Darron Lee's extension? ;) 

Nobody worth the money is going to sign with us, so we might as well pay the guy that's guaranteed to mail it in as soon as he gets paid? That's your angle here?

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you ******* all caps me dude! 

Check out what receivers are getting on the open market.  Donte Moncrief got near $10M.  Check his stats.  Then tell me how many tricks he used to get them.  Ryan Grant got $5M after Baltimore voided 4/$29M because Crabtree became available. Paul Richardson and Albert Wilson are comparatively trash and they got 5/$40M and 3/$24M respectively.  Don't complain to me because you don't understand the market.  

Real life laughed at this! 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can wish for them but that doesn't mean you get them. Other teams want them, too, and they're better and more attractive destinations. You can get what you can get, not what you wish and pray for. 

Elite WRs aren't coming here. The only "superstar" players coming here are the ones doing a final cash-in so they can sleepwalk through the bulk (or entirety) of the guaranteed portions of their contracts. 

Live in the now, man.

The time is now to change all that learn from our mistakes and move on in a forward way not repeating mistakes we have made time and time again over the years the reason we are who we are. 

New GM new HC and a new owner might help. 

I think a modest tender, like the 2nd round one being discussed, is reasonable. That said, here's what I think of Anderson:

Robby Anderson has been a disappointment this year. Yes, I fully understand that he is hamstrung by an OL that can't block long enough to let him work in the intermediate and deep levels most of the time. And by an offensive philosophy that obsesses over running the football. I understand that and have taken that into account.

That said, I think Robby Anderson with an expanded role would probably be just as incomplete a WR as he is with limited targets. So, I don't think we're looking at Antonio Brown here. We're looking at a one-trick pony, the deep ball. His hands are weak and he's really thin, so I think fumbles would be a concern. And then there's his demeanor, which seems to overestimate how good he is, how reliable he needs to be, and how much people just want production with the catches, not with the mouth.

I like Robby Anderson, but his presence does not diminish the need for a reliable, outsized, speedy WR on the Jets. And I really don't care what he'd like to be. I want him as long as he's one of the three best WRs on the team. If Wesley Walker, Keyshawn Johnson, and Wayne Chrebet showed up in their prime, he'd be just another bench guy.

Or what jetscrazey ahead of me said with many many many less words.

9 minutes ago, rammagen said:

and I do not want to pay taxes. but I still do. Man up Robbie this is the system

Strange to complain about him saying this.  He is saying he wants to be on the team long term.  This team.  The Jets.  The kid has been on the team with Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty and the youngest QB since the merger and he wants to stay.  This is within the system.  The alternative is for him to get $3 or 4M to play for 2019 and go elsewhere for real money.  He'll get more than Albert Wilson. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strange to complain about him saying this.  He is saying he wants to be on the team long term.  This team.  The Jets.  The kid has been on the team with Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty and the youngest QB since the merger and he wants to stay.  This is within the system.  The alternative is for him to get $3 or 4M to play for 2019 and go elsewhere for real money.  He'll get more than Albert Wilson. 

He wants a pay day and knows the Jets might be foolish enough to give him one. 

What else would you expect him to say? 

The kid should be happy to get a rfa tag in all honesty. He is having a down year and has had off field issues every year he has been in the league. If he gets the rfa tag it gives him another year to try and have a better season and to prove he is capable of staying out of trouble so that someone might actually want to make a long term commitment to him

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He was great?  We won 5 games he was the best on the Jets lets just say that.

Imo that's saying a lot considering the QB and other weapons around him.  Teams knew he was the primary weapon, yet he still did really damn well.

He's like the perfect deep threat weapon who can still grow more.  And he's a good guy too.

Plus homegrown.

What else can ya ask for?  

I'm not saying to pay him like a legit #1 superstar, but he should get paid well.  Hopefully by the Jets.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

He can't throw himself the ball, or even snap the ball.

Kid needs some others to do their jobs in order to perform himself.

That may be true, but he could certainly do a better job of holding on to the ball, fighting for the ball more, and less alligator-arming his catches. 

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Imo that's saying a lot considering the QB and other weapons around him.  Teams knew he was the primary weapon, yet he still did really damn well.

He's like the perfect deep threat weapon who can still grow more.  And he's a good guy too.

Plus homegrown.

I'm not saying to pay him like a legit #1 superstar, but he should get paid well.  Hopefully by the Jets.

I'm sorry...what exactly is it that makes him a "good guy"? I could think of a lot of ways to describe him, pretty sure that wouldn't be in my top ten. 

2 minutes ago, shevys said:

I'm sorry...what exactly is it that makes him a "good guy"? I could think of a lot of ways to describe him, pretty sure that wouldn't be in my top ten. 

I've heard him speak a few times.  Always seems like a cool guy with well thought out comments/answers.  Seems sincere, and very dedicated to the game.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Based on what?  He's a 1 trick pony long ball HR thats it. Any pass where he has to battle for the ball he loses. Anytime he's hit hard he fumbles. He runs lazy sloppy routes. 

COME ON MAN 

That's a bunch of BS.  He's actually good at getting 50-50 balls.  That was all him on Darnold's first TD pass.  The ball was under thrown and the defender had better position than he did.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't blame him for wanting that, but he's done nothing this year to deserve an extension, unless he's willing to take one worth little more than the vet minimum, or at the very least, a deal with excessively little in guarantees.

Anderson is a near lock to get slapped with the 2nd round tender this offseason, which is actually probably the best case scenario for both parties in this situation.

2nd round tender would be perfect since we will have the right to match any offer sheet that occurs, and if we feel it is too high then great we get our 2nd round pick back in this years 2019 draft we are missing. How often do we get things that good for our Jets. If that occurs we better make good use of the 2nd round pick which since I am alive I have only seen a few good 2nd round picks taken by our beloved Jets. And I am a 53 year old Jets fan since the beginning of when I started rooting for this team and never rooted for any other. Ouch!. I suppose that hasn't helped our cause over time as 2nd round picks are very important for teams. 

29 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Plus homegrown.

Considering we had no other WR's they had to throw the ball to someone. 

1 trick pony .He's far from a good guy. 

Not worth a big or longterm investment. 

Johnson was vague on reasons for the move, admitting though that it "didn't seem to be in keeping with our long-term plan."

Suh has said the Jets made the largest offer, something Johnson couldn't confirm. The owner said he discussed the offer with the former Lions and Dolphins player with general manager Mike Maccagnan "and I think our thinking changed a bit. It was a pretty high offer; all these good guys will be a lot of money."

Boom 

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't remember there being that many and what about after he catches the ball and he's hit and usually fumbles. 

Before the two fumbles he had early this season, I don't really remember that being an issue.

Was fumbling an issue for him last year?

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Has he caught that many passes this season since the 2 fumbles. 

No.  He had one great game when the offense played well.  Other than that, like i said, it's been all bad snaps and WR screen BS.

Don't think there have been many throws beyond 5 yards.  Pretty damn sad.

Archived