Robby Anderson doesn't want the RFA tag

Sperm Edwards

If he is coming back, would need some assurances he spends the winter in Florham Park working out and not in south Florida smoking dope. He has great speed, but he needs to make a serious commitment to  be more of an all around player to justify a big contract. 

If his thought process is he wants to get paid and go south and get in trouble  until minicamp, no thanks. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you ******* all caps me dude! 

Check out what receivers are getting on the open market.  Donte Moncrief got near $10M.  Check his stats.  Then tell me how many tricks he used to get them.  Ryan Grant got $5M after Baltimore voided 4/$29M because Crabtree became available. Paul Richardson and Albert Wilson are comparatively trash and they got 5/$40M and 3/$24M respectively.  Don't complain to me because you don't understand the market.  

I  ALL CAPS YOU DUDE. I just couldn't resist LOL.

Now on to Robbie. If he shows something like a pulse in these final games and he stays out of trouble in the off-season and puts on some muscle I would give the kid a tender. If not well whats the difference? Sure he may catch on with another team and have success but I won't believe it until I see it. Robbie is nothing short of a disappointment this season and he needs to show a lot IMO in these final games to even get a tender from the Jets. You want a long term deal? Earn it.

Player prefers job security. Shocker. 

I think we should extend him. But after the new coach gets here and gives his opinion, which is hopefully a good offensive mind. 

Hes not gonna cost must. And can be a good peice to our offense if we ever got a staff that actually knew what the hell to do out there. 

32 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I  ALL CAPS YOU DUDE. I just couldn't resist LOL.

Now on to Robbie. If he shows something like a pulse in these final games and he stays out of trouble in the off-season and puts on some muscle I would give the kid a tender. If not well whats the difference? Sure he may catch on with another team and have success but I won't believe it until I see it. Robbie is nothing short of a disappointment this season and he needs to show a lot IMO in these final games to even get a tender from the Jets. You want a long term deal? Earn it.

They are going to tender him.  No doubt.  All the sh*t that we complain about with Maccagnan, if he doesn't tender Anderson it might be his most egregious and obvious mistake. 

anderson has some talent but he's not a complete receiver.  i don't think his lack of production is necessarily his fault but he really needs to show he wants to get the ball and fight off the db's more.  it's good he wants to be on the jets long term but he has to show that the jets need him to be here too.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would look to extend him.  Start at 3 for $15-18M with $6-9M guaranteed.  Decent amount of conduct clauses.  Not a crazy contract, but it is a decent step up from the tender and more than double the guarantee.  In exchange he gives us more years.  Guessing he probably gets more, but we will see. 

This is not a bad idea. We get him at a reasonable contract for a few years. For Robby, he will continue to be motivated knowing that he can be up for an even bigger contract as he turns 28.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

If he is coming back, would need some assurances he spends the winter in Florham Park working out and not in south Florida smoking dope. He has great speed, but he needs to make a serious commitment to  be more of an all around player to justify a big contract. 

If his thought process is he wants to get paid and go south and get in trouble  until minicamp, no thanks. 

They can't even talk to these young guys in the off-season let alone get assurances of behavior.  

It's a crazy rule.  Even if a player like Darnold want's to hang around and work with the OC/QB's coach, he can't.  He has to go out and pay a trainer, like Palmer, to work with him.  Nutty rule.  Just protects the vets from having their jobs taken by aggressive young guys.

3 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

hes got great hands and runs a real good deep pattern but thats about it. id give him a 2nd rd tender but wont be that mad if another team picks him up. def dont wana give him a ton of money

Great hands. Meh. Average at best. 

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't blame him for wanting that, but he's done nothing this year to deserve an extension, unless he's willing to take one worth little more than the vet minimum, or at the very least, a deal with excessively little in guarantees.

Anderson is a near lock to get slapped with the 2nd round tender this offseason, which is actually probably the best case scenario for both parties in this situation.

If he wants a long term deal he should have spent the offseason under a bench press and not skipping leg day. He is so small, there is a balance where he could put on some size, 10lbs even and not lose speed.

That INT last week, take down the defender, get a pass interference. Nope.

When I joined this site days before this season started all I read was how we were fine at WR with Robby, Pryor, Enunwa and Kearse. Then TP short armed a pass and Robby had a fumble and Kearse stepped out of bounds. Sam started playing  poorly and throwing ints and our receivers became the problem because nothing was ever Sam’s fault. TP was cut, Kearse was “dogging it” and Enunwa, because he was the only guy Sam would look to when he could stay on the field, became a folk hero. It became mandatory for everyone who mentioned Robby to call him a “one trick pony” because Sam couldn’t/wouldn’t get the ball to him. The guy is not a #1, but when you look at our other skill position players, how is he the one you would get rid of? He’s definitely worth keeping, in fact I’d resign him in a second over an already overpaid stiff like Leo.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold's career will never get started with Robbie Anderson as his #1 WR 

Problem is there’s no great UFA WRs this offseason.  The draft class has some good wr prospects in the mid to late first round which is why I’m advocating for trading Leo for a first and signing Sheldon 

14 hours ago, Stark said:

Hardly anyone on offense has done anything to deserve an extension. Q should be extended. If we could get a "modern" NFL offense Robby could have a decent sized role, just look at last season. 

I only say this to say, under this coaching staff the only thing we know is inconsistency and what appears to be a handcuffed system. I am fine with tendering him as a 2nd rounder as you say above, I agree.

Q is always injured, though.

14 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Hope Robby is eventually signed long term, but yeah it's tough to do that afrer such a pitiful offensive season.

No way to gauge his value.

At least he'll make 3 million next year.  Good for him.

Robby Nobody.  This was his year to shine and he shrank

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are going to tender him.  No doubt.  All the sh*t that we complain about with Maccagnan, if he doesn't tender Anderson it might be his most egregious and obvious mistake. 

Could be. I just think his timing with that statement is bad. Earn it in on the field is all I'm saying.

16 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I know some of you don't want to hear this... or don't believe it.

But IMO, Robby is not part of the problem... he is going to be part of the solution.  The failure on offense is partly because they aren't featuring him like they did last season.

I’m not one to run to Anderson’s defense however, they have not gotten the ball to him much this year . Is that due to Sam not having enough time for the long ball play to develop and moving to a quick dump off to the outlet guy because he’s rushed or just general inexperience or that Anderson is just not getting open as much as in previous years. They have used him in a different way this year. More crossing routes over the middle seemingly. With his size and strength I don’t see him as anything but a deep ball threat. He’s not someone who’s gonna break tackles as much as someone who can outrun the defense. I have mixed feelings about Robby at this point. He can take a DB and a safety with him on deep routes which is a plus but he’s not an all around receiver that can do it all at this time. Couple that with his off field antics and you have to conclude that a long term contract is not going to happen next year.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is there’s no great UFA WRs this offseason.  The draft class has some good wr prospects in the mid to late first round which is why I’m advocating for trading Leo for a first and signing Sheldon 

No one's trading a first round pick for Leo for the right to pay him his next contract. Especially this year, with such a defense-heavy draft. It's not like the guy has been a world-beater in the pros. Teams will find their own rookie DLs and pay them rookie contracts. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Na.  Our oline, OC and QB play has been a joke.

Robby is fine.

I think it's fair to question Robby's actual abilities and worth, but I agree with you that the entire offense, especially the coaching, is largely to blame for his off year. His injuries have been another problem, and another fair complaint about such a skinny dude. 

Slapping a tender on him is the right way to go unless, as @Sperm Edwards suggested, they manage to sign him below market because he's publicly asking for a long-term deal coming off a poor year. 

With our sh*tty offensive coaching staff and breaking in a rookie QB, I'm giving all of our skill position players a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.

Not enough to over commit and lock them up to outrageous long term contracts, but it will be interesting to see what the new coaches (and hopefully GM) think of guys like Anderson when they take over the reigns in January.

Not sure what the problem people have with offering him an extension at a team friendly rate and see if he takes it? As much as we love Mac letting all of our players hit GA before negotiating.. it might not be a bad thing to get Robbie locked up now considering no other WRs on our roster right now are signed past this season. I think 2017 showed what Robbie can be and I’d sign up for that.

the Jets have 100 mil on next year's cap they should be resigning players like Anderson and Enunwa at a low. 

What does Robby anderson do? He makes the defense respect the deep ball. Teams need multiple guys who can gamebreak and the Jets have exactly 1. 

47 minutes ago, slats said:

No one's trading a first round pick for Leo for the right to pay him his next contract. Especially this year, with such a defense-heavy draft. It's not like the guy has been a world-beater in the pros. Teams will find their own rookie DLs and pay them rookie contracts. 

I think it's fair to question Robby's actual abilities and worth, but I agree with you that the entire offense, especially the coaching, is largely to blame for his off year. His injuries have been another problem, and another fair complaint about such a skinny dude. 

Slapping a tender on him is the right way to go unless, as @Sperm Edwards suggested, they manage to sign him below market because he's publicly asking for a long-term deal coming off a poor year. 

Isn’t it in his best interest to wait till after a year of a hopefully improved Darnold or improved offensive play calling? He’s had a horrible year and it’d be the worst time to do a long term deal for him.

If I were him, I’d get the hell away from this sh*t show and hit FA where he’d surely get paid a decent amount. No good players get to FA anymore so even he would net $8-10mil a year even after bad years here since we are a train wreck. That’s why the Eagles wanted him.

I honestly hate this franchise so much that I want the players to do what’s best for them and until there is some major change here, it won’t be playing for the Jets. Make the right business move. Jets will have to pay a premium even for their own players because it’s a career killing place. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Enjoy replacing him with some worse trash for more money.  You do realize that the Jets paid more than $4M for Terrelle Pryor.  Were you in favor of that?  Pretty sure you were.  

He's 155 lbs and is only good at running one route.  How about we don't pay any JAGs and draft some cheap and talented WRs of our own?  Foreign concept for this franchise, I know.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's 155 lbs and is only good at running one route.  How about we don't pay any JAGs and draft some cheap and talented WRs of our own?  Foreign concept for this franchise, I know.  

How much does Tyreek Hill weigh?  Brandin Cooks?  Yes, he is not the GOAT.  He is a valuable WR with a useful skillset.  I have this discussion all the time with people:  On offense, you do not need to do everything.  You need to do something other teams can't stop.  If they adjust to stop that, you will have other openings.  He does require safety help and/or help underneath so the CB can concentrate on not letting him run by.

I get the sentiment of not wanting to pay him a ton, but you have to try to keep players when you get them at a bargain.  You know, the opposite of what we did with Brian Winters. 

19 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

A 4th round pick is a highly insulting offer for a 25 year old controllable player who had almost 1000yds the year before. Eagles must not think very highly of Macagnan and co if they thought they could pull that off.

I'm sorry....what?

Archived