Robby Anderson doesn't want the RFA tag

Sperm Edwards

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As a player, I think he will do nothing but continue to regress the more the leagues sees him, gets a baering on his limited skillset and counters.  He is very limited, basicly a skinny speed guy only.  He's weak, easy to dislodge balls from or to muscle out of position on routes and worthless on anything but go route deep balls.  And even deep his only real asset is speed, no hands or route running.  As I keep saying, he's fine.....as a #3 or #4.  He's Dedric Ward, and no one thinks of Dedric Ward as an anything more than what he was, I simply cannot understand the love of this kid, and that's before I factor in his off field embarrassing incidents.

What "skill set" do you theorize he possesses that we've not seen yet? 

Same old Jets Fan excuses we hear every day.  "We can;t judge X till we have an all pro team everywhere around him to see what he REALLY can do".  Pure fantasy, he is what he is.  We're never going to have an all pro offense around him for this supposed real fair chance everyone always wants for their guy, their guy of course being the one THEY think isn't part of why we're horrible everywhere.  Ever consider one reason we're bad is because our #2 WR is so limited?

Dedric Ward played in the NFL for 8 years and 103 games.  He had 167 catches for 2307 yards with 12 TDs.  Robby Anderson is halfway through his 3rd season, playing in 41 games.  He has 128 catches for 1896 yards and 12 TDs.  It is a pretty weak comparison, but with your "scouting" of the player I am not surprised. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As a player, I think he will do nothing but continue to regress the more the leagues sees him, gets a baering on his limited skillset and counters.  He is very limited, basicly a skinny speed guy only.  He's weak, easy to dislodge balls from or to muscle out of position on routes and worthless on anything but go route deep balls.  And even deep his only real asset is speed, no hands or route running.  As I keep saying, he's fine.....as a #3 or #4.  He's Dedric Ward, and no one thinks of Dedric Ward as an anything more than what he was, I simply cannot understand the love of this kid, and that's before I factor in his off field embarrassing incidents.

What "skill set" do you theorize he possesses that we've not seen yet? 

Same old Jets Fan excuses we hear every day.  "We can;t judge X till we have an all pro team everywhere around him to see what he REALLY can do".  Pure fantasy, he is what he is.  We're never going to have an all pro offense around him for this supposed real fair chance everyone always wants for their guy, their guy of course being the one THEY think isn't part of why we're horrible everywhere.  Ever consider one reason we're bad is because our #2 WR is so limited?

Um, ok. 

He's got speed and his size, while not prototypical is not all that bad. That's the skills good WRs have. 

And I think you've used the tired "same old Jets fan excuses..." argument when it's really not warranted. I don't discount Anderson's limitations. There are plenty of WRs over the years of NFL football who have succeeded with far less than the physical gifts he has.

I also think that it's smart to recognize the component nature of NFL offense. Your argument somehow suggests that recognizing the need for synergy between units-- and how OL supports ALL facets of offensive football--is somehow not reasonable, which is puzzling to me because it doesn't make much sense. You're suggesting that a great WR could perform well with a poor blocking OL??

Anyway, I didn't mean to pick on you personally, which it seems like you've taken it. I just don't think you can fairly judge any skill position player with the Jets having such a crappy OL and a rookie qb for most of the season. I'm confident that's a reasonable position to have.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dedric Ward played in the NFL for 8 years and 103 games.  He had 167 catches for 2307 yards with 12 TDs.  Robby Anderson is halfway through his 3rd season, playing in 41 games.  He has 128 catches for 1896 yards and 12 TDs.  It is a pretty weak comparison, but with your "scouting" of the player I am not surprised. 

Homer it up all you want, we've been here (generally speaking) time and time again.  Homer Jets fan talk up this favorite player, or that favorite player then they leave....and do absolutely nothing.  Just like they did here.  Notice, none of our homers are currently talking up Geno Smith today, right?  Right.

Robby Anderson is a 3rd tier, limited skill set depth-quality WR.  One with a penchant for getting in trouble off the field.  You can homer that up all you want, brag about his pedestrian stats, it won't make him more than he is.  We can, and SHOULD, do better.  We should not accept Robby Anderlols as the best we can do at WR.

Some days I wonder if we're watching the same game, Robby gets manhandled and outmuscled badly any time a pass is close between him and a defender.  He's weak over the middle and short.  And he doesn;t catch enough of the longballs thrown his way either tbqh, he's a very average route runner and ball chaser.  And this is the guy the homer contingent seems to have latched on.  Why, because he was undrafted?  Because he's fast (and he IS fast)?  So what.  I don't get this fanbase some days, the losers they latch on to with such passion...

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Homer it up all you want, we've been here (generally speaking) time and time again.  Homer Jets fan talk up this favorite player, or that favorite player then they leave....and do absolutely nothing.  Just like they did here.  Notice, none of our homers are currently talking up Geno Smith today, right?  Right.

Robby Anderson is a 3rd tier, limited skill set depth-quality WR.  One with a penchant for getting in trouble off the field.  You can homer that up all you want, brag about his pedestrian stats, it won't make him more than he is.  We can, and SHOULD, do better.  We should not accept Robby Anderlols as the best we can do at WR.

Some days I wonder if we're watching the same game, Robby gets manhandled and outmuscled badly any time a pass is close between him and a defender.  He's weak over the middle and short.  And he doesn;t catch enough of the longballs thrown his way either tbqh, he's a very average route runner and ball chaser.  And this is the guy the homer contingent seems to have latched on.  Why, because he was undrafted?  Because he's fast (and he IS fast)?  So what.  I don't get this fanbase some days, the losers they latch on to with such passion...

The vast majority of this is sumply untrue  but the fact you are calling me a homer is the most hysterical. 

How much do you think he is worth?  If you say get min you are a fool.  

We can argue about his value but he is an NFL WR.  We need more not less.

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The vast majority of this is sumply untrue  but the fact you are calling me a homer is the most hysterical. 

I’m late to the party.....I think Robby can be a great compliment to a functional offense (which’s we don’t have). He would be best utilized as a #3 that takes the top off a defense. Like a Desean Jackson type. I’d say in this inflated salary era of offensive first football, he is worth $8mil per even in this role.

We can’t afford to lose any talent since there aren’t any good players to sign. So although he may not be ideal to a lot of fans (I can’t blame them), he’s one of the few players with offensive ability that we have.

3 year deals for everyone that’s even barely worth keeping (even if it’s overpaying) until we build up this team and have to be more strict with the salary cap in hopeful anticipation of signing Sam long term and affording his 5th year option which I imagine is high. We can’t afford to take any steps back and lose ANY talent. That’s how poor this roster is and how weak free agency has become.

Mac talks about cap space like it’s a good thing. Quite the opposite. You end up blowing your cap on your own JAGS that you lose with because you wouldn’t dare lose them and get worse and because there are NO other options out their since anyone half decent is resigned/retained buy their respective team.

We are backed into a corner, retain our own JAGS and hopefully get lucky to have the opportunity to overpay 1-2 free agents like Le’Veon Bell and a pass rusher. It’s a TERRIBLE situation to be in but what else can you do?

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Great post I agree with everything I cant figure the love affair for this guy with some and yet they hate players who are so much better and valuable to this team. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We are backed into a corner, retain our own JAGS and hopefully get lucky to have the opportunity to overpay 1-2 free agents like Le’Veon Bell and a pass rusher. It’s a TERRIBLE situation to be in but what else can you do?

Our JAG's stink most wouldn't be on  another NFL roster if not on the NY Jets. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Our JAG's stink most wouldn't be on  another NFL roster if not on the NY Jets. 

Agreed and beggars can’t be choosers. It’s a horrible spot to be in and out jags are only on our team since we had an open tryout in 2017 and just stuck with a lot of them since so many draft picks failed and started dropping like flies. We also couldn’t realistically add that many players with how bad free agency is so all of these jags found the perfect home.

I can’t see us letting them all go in hopes of finding new jags. Better off building off of what you have to a degrees in other words,WE ARE COMPLETELY SCREWED.

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Agreed and beggars can’t be choosers. It’s a horrible spot to be in and out jags are only on our team since we had an open tryout in 2017 and just stuck with a lot of them since so many draft picks failed and started dropping like flies. We also couldn’t realistically add that many players with how bad free agency is so all of these jags found the perfect home.

I can’t see us letting them all go in hopes of finding new jags. Better off building off of what you have to a degrees in other words,WE ARE COMPLETELY SCREWED.

I'd rather build through the upcoming draft and UDFA's than retain some these guys. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I'd rather build through the upcoming draft and UDFA's than retain some these guys. 

I would too. I just don’t think it’s realistic. It would also be insane to essentially allow a 3rd rebuild and gut again so soon which is essentially what that is. This is why I’m so adamant about the JETS needed change. We are in a horrible spot and better to “rebuild” properly under a new GM entirey if we were to go that route.

Since we probably are stuck with Mac, keeping what he has is the best bet. Again, we are totally screwed. I would be excited with the former and rebuilding with a bunch of young unknowns and a GM that I could at least be hopeful for and that could have a chance at drafting. It is what it is. 

On 11/30/2018 at 2:41 PM, phill1c said:

I wouldn't give one for him. He's produced neither on the inside or outside of the DL. I'm not sure what his position is beyond "being blocked".

Absolutely nobody else is giving us a #1 either, so you’re not alone. He’s been such a disappointment, it’s hard to even get upset at the blank stats he puts on the sheet anymore. I’d be ecstatic if someone gave us a 4th for the honor of paying him his next contract.

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh, it's untrue because YOU Say so, despite having literally seen all of it with my own eyes watching him play.  Right, got it.  

You're entitled to your own opinions, same as I am.  I don't want to keep him, at all.  As I've said repeatedly, we can, and should, do better than the limited skill-set Andersons brings to the table.  Presuming he doesn't get arrested again I'd be fine with a low-value, short-term deal designed to keep him as a #3 or #4 WR, to retain his field stretching go-route option.  If he wants more than that, I let him walk.

On the bright side (for you), Macc almost assuredly will pay him, because Anderson is one of the very very few players he can point to and try and claim "look, I DO know how to spot talent".  Given how truly pathetic Macc has been at the draft, I fully expect him to keep this "fan favorite" is he, Macc, is himself not fired.  

We do need more, ALOT more.  Which is why I am not investing a material amount of money or years into a guy I simply do not see as a legitimate NFL #1 or #2 WR.  Tying down cap space on him blocks other, better, WR's from being acquired.  

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is we don’t have any better options.  It’s either resign Q or spend as much or more money on a Kelvin Benjamin 

I would re-sign him.  But I would try to draft a really good one for Sam and sign another who could serve as a 2 or 3.  I would let Robby go.  He has one or two routes after what, 3 years?

On 12/2/2018 at 9:14 AM, Warfish said:

Oh, it's untrue because YOU Say so, despite having literally seen all of it with my own eyes watching him play.  Right, got it.  

You're entitled to your own opinions, same as I am.  I don't want to keep him, at all.  As I've said repeatedly, we can, and should, do better than the limited skill-set Andersons brings to the table.  Presuming he doesn't get arrested again I'd be fine with a low-value, short-term deal designed to keep him as a #3 or #4 WR, to retain his field stretching go-route option.  If he wants more than that, I let him walk.

On the bright side (for you), Macc almost assuredly will pay him, because Anderson is one of the very very few players he can point to and try and claim "look, I DO know how to spot talent".  Given how truly pathetic Macc has been at the draft, I fully expect him to keep this "fan favorite" is he, Macc, is himself not fired.  

We do need more, ALOT more.  Which is why I am not investing a material amount of money or years into a guy I simply do not see as a legitimate NFL #1 or #2 WR.  Tying down cap space on him blocks other, better, WR's from being acquired.  

Do statistics mean nothing?  The kid has put up legit numbers.  You can argue how good, but you cannot argue that there are 90 players in the NFL capable of putting them up. 

There are three choices.  1.  Tender him.  Most would say 2nd round because 1st is too much money and nobody will bite and as an UDFA with the original round tender he is gone. Tendering him makes sense if you are particularly worried about the conduct.  2. Extend him now while he is under control.  We can argue about the value, but this is the strategy I would take.  He might not accept the contract I offer, but I would try.  3. Let him walk.  This is what you and joweilly are spouting.  That is fine, if you don't realize the Jets will carry at least 3 or 4 WRs next year that are worse.  Like considerably worse to the point where there is no discussion.  For instance, Deontay Burnett, Rishard Matthews, Charone Peake or Jeremy Kerley, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and JoJo Natson.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do statistic mean nothing?  The kid has put up legit numbers.  You can argue how good, but you cannot argue that there are 90 players in the NFL capable of putting them up. 

There are three choices.  1.  Tender him.  Most would say 2nd round because 1st is too much money and nobody will bite and as an UDFA with the original round tender he is gone. Tendering him makes sense if you are particularly worried about the conduct.  2. Extend him now while he is under control.  We can argue about the value, but this is the strategy I would take.  He might not accept the contract I offer, but I would try.  3. Let him walk.  This is what you and joweilly are spouting.  That is fine, if you don't realize the Jets will carry at least 3 or 4 WRs next year that are worse.  Like considerably worse to the point where there is no discussion.  For instance, Deontay Burnett, Rishard Matthews, Charone Peake or Jeremy Kerley, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and JoJo Natson.  

You're entitled to like the player and his skill-set, and believe he is a key competent of the Jets Offense moving forward.  or to see his limited production in 2018 as "legit numbers" I suppose.

I simply don't agree.  Based on watching him play to-date, my opinion of him remains the same: he's a very limited skill-set player with almost no material upside for improvement in those skills, who is not worth paying a material amount of money or cap space to retain.  He is an acceptable 4th option at WR, purely for his field-stretching, but I would not count on him to be anything more. 

The fact he is an ongoing off-the-field behavior risk, and an on-the-field penalty killer (as we saw yesterday) only compounds my lack of desire to retain him.

As I've said consistently, we can and should do better.  I tender him only to facilitate a potential trade.  If he's as good as you appear to think, then surely someone will want him and we'll get an asset in return AND free the spot up to try and find a better player via FA or the draft.  

To accept your view we must accept that there is no option in the entire population of potential players and moves where the Jets could improve over Anderson at WR.  I don't accept that belief as truth.

I do not accept past failures by past regimes as preemptive excuses for why we cannot improve going forward.  Charone Peake has nothing to do with who we can/should get to play WR for this team in 2019.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're entitled to like the player and his skill-set, and believe he is a key competent of the Jets Offense moving forward.  or to see his limited production in 2018 as "legit numbers" I suppose.

I simply don't agree.  Based on watching him play to-date, my opinion of him remains the same: he's a very limited skill-set player with almost no material upside for improvement in those skills, who is not worth paying a material amount of money or cap space to retain.  He is an acceptable 4th option at WR, purely for his field-stretching, but I would not count on him to be anything more. 

The fact he is an ongoing off-the-field behavior risk, and an on-the-field penalty killer (as we saw yesterday) only compounds my lack of desire to retain him.

As I've said consistently, we can and should do better.  I tender him only to facilitate a potential trade.  If he's as good as you appear to think, then surely someone will want him and we'll get an asset in return AND free the spot up to try and find a better player via FA or the draft.  

To accept your view we must accept that there is no option in the entire population of potential players and moves where the Jets could improve over Anderson at WR.  I don't accept that belief as truth.

I do not accept past failures by past regimes as preemptive excuses for why we cannot improve going forward.  Charone Peake has nothing to do with who we can/should get to play WR for this team in 2019.

I never said he is or should be a key component of our offense going forward.  I said there are not 60 guys better on the planet.  I stand by that,but to make the argument simple, there is no argument that there are not 90 guys better on the planet, let alone available.  Therefore, there will be worse WRS (multiple) on the 2019 Jets roster.  Charone Peake has everything to do with it because he or a similar scrub will be on the team in 2019, and since you are only allocating $750K to replace him you will be lucky to get a Peake level piece. 

Wanting to facilitate a trade is fine.  First rational thing you've said.  I suppose they should have considered it this offseason when he should have netted more, but they did need bodies on O and there were the conduct issues which have amounted to zero,  Maybe after they don't extend him they can let him walk and see a comp pick, assuming they aren't buyers again.. 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Robby Anderson making demands ????

You just can't make this stuff up

I would hope not to be tendered,” said Anderson. “Because I don’t want to be here for possibly just one more year. I want to be here for the long term. I feel like I worked hard. [The RFA tender] is a step up from where I’m at now. But I want to be here for the long term.

Maybe JN needs help with vocabulary, but I don't see a single demand.

Archived