College Game Day: Conference Championship Week

JustInFudge

6 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

Just to stir up controversy at 1:30AM and let my buckeye fandom get in the way things:

Notre Dame beat Michigan by 7

Ohio State beat Michigan by 23

Notre dame beat Northwestern by 10

Ohio state beat Northwestern by 21

If its really about putting in the 4 best teams, explain to me how Notre dame is a better team than Ohio State right NOW?

Among the group, Notre Dame is currently:

Road/Neutral Wins - t-1st

FBS Wins - t-1st

Power-5 Wins - t-1st

AP Top-25 Wins - t-1st

CFP Top-25 Wins - t-2nd

Power-5 Winning Record - 3rd

Abd didn’t lose to a 7-6 team by 29. GTFOH. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I agree they should expand the playoffs, but imo, they should eliminate the conference championship games.

Expand it to 8 teams and this weekend's games would've been:

UCF at Alabama

Michigan at Clemson

Ohio St at Notre Dame

Oklahoma at Georgia

losers get automatic bids into NY6 bowls and winners are the four team playoff.

Tell me that wouldn't be better than conference championship games.

The issue with that scenario is the logistics of it all.  Not knowing the locations and where a team may play until the last week of the season is hard for college programs.  

As good as they are, I dont see how you can justify putting Georgia in the tournament at this point, they are 3-2 against Top 25 teams. No defense OK should get in. Personally I'd like to see UCF in the tournament. Undefeated in 2 seasons what else can they do other than switch conferences?

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The issue with that scenario is the logistics of it all.  Not knowing the locations and where a team may play until the last week of the season is hard for college programs.  

I understand, but it's only four schools that have to make last minute arrangements.  

Leave the band at home.

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I understand, but it's only four schools that have to make last minute arrangements.  

Leave the band at home.

Well the home teams need to as well.  It’s not as easy as you are making it.  Plus, there is too much money in the Conference Championship games.  Fans need to make travel arraingements as well.   That will never happen.  They may expand it at some point, but it won’t be at the expense of the Conference Championship games.  

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

As good as they are, I dont see how you can justify putting Georgia in the tournament at this point, they are 3-2 against Top 25 teams. No defense OK should get in. Personally I'd like to see UCF in the tournament. Undefeated in 2 seasons what else can they do other than switch conferences?

You can’t knock Georgia’s record against top 25 teams and then make a case for UCF....Lol.   

9 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I agree they should expand the playoffs, but imo, they should eliminate the conference championship games.

Expand it to 8 teams and this weekend's games would've been:

UCF at Alabama

Michigan at Clemson

Ohio St at Notre Dame

Oklahoma at Georgia

losers get automatic bids into NY6 bowls and winners are the four team playoff.

Tell me that wouldn't be better than conference championship games.

Agree, that Clemson playing Pitt was a complete waste of time, and not very different to OSU and NorthWestern - OU and Texas had a little more meaning since Texas boat OU earlier in the year but in concept I think you have to head that way - regular season games provide conference/division championships and playoffs/bowl games get the best teams

If we look at yesterday;

Bama and Georgia was a great game (would not want to change that one)  

OSU vs OU (tiebreaker) would love to see this game next week 

Michigan at Clemson - very interesting - at least Clemson would have to be awake for the game

UCF and ND - let the non power 5 conference teams duke it out for a shot at the title

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah you kinda lost credibility when you said put UCF in. 

Look if they want the 4 BEST teams in there — not most deserving(record wise) then Georgia is the team. Georgia would obliterate UCF, ND, Oklahoma and probably Clemson.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Look if they want the 4 BEST teams in there — not most deserving(record wise) then Georgia is the team. Georgia would obliterate UCF, ND, Oklahoma and probably Clemson.

Two sort of different conversations. The first I think OK deserves it over Georgia for the actual tournament. The second is just a personal observation, I am not saying they should actually get a shot under the current system. It really does need to be 8 teams though, 4 is too little

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Would they?

They got their butts handed to them by LSU.  

A team Notre Dame beat this calendar year.

It's all subjective and everyone has their team colored glasses on (rightfully so), but the top three is undefeated and DESERVE the playoff.

Look Notre Dame isn't in a conference but they play USC, Stanford, Navy, and 5 ACC schools every year... that's their 8 conference games.

Other 4 Opponents are OOC

So this season NDs schedule would be as follows:

Conference Games
WF
@VT
Syracuse (Neutral)
Pitt
Stanford
@ USC
Navy (Neutral)
FSU

OOC
Michigan
Ball State
@Northwestern 
Vandy

That's Michigan, Northwestern, and a lower tier SEC school as non-conference games.  Think about that when Bama is warming up the Citadel and Alabama St before their big matchups.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Two sort of different conversations. The first I think OK deserves it over Georgia for the actual tournament. The second is just a personal observation, I am not saying they should actually get a shot under the current system. It really does need to be 8 teams though, 4 is too little

I agree with you. 8 teams is so much more fair. I guess I understand us not getting in from a record perspective. We don’t deserve it with two losses but it sucks because I know we would wax ND and OU!

Much as I would have liked the opportunity to go up against Bama again in 4 weeks, they have the right four team in.  We lost to LSU -- a team we should have beaten.  And we had Bama down and let them back in by not playing a full 60 minute game and with some questionable play calls.

Disappointing, but i\they got it right.  No last minute travel plans for me this holiday season.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

We know how this goes though. Clemson vs Bama.

Please upset Bama in the national championship rematch.

That would be the 4th straight year.  Hope we make it past ND.  

Still think Clemson’s offense is a year away, almost everyone is back next year and this has been a great learning experience for Lawrence.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

That would be the 4th straight year.  Hope we make it past ND.  

Still think Clemson’s offense is a year away, almost everyone is back next year and this has been a great learning experience for Lawrence.  

Fortunately, it seems that the Bama defense isn’t as great as it has been compared to other Bama teams in the past but their offense is definitely better. I think you guys match up pretty well in that sense. But Clemson does have a very young offense so winning this year would be huge for them.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Didn't you claim your fandom for UGA about a month ago?

It's already "we"??

Not a month ago, no. I started watching them last year. I didnt watch college ball much in my life before but after losing a lot of my sports channels, college came on way more than NFL(being that UGA plays on my local channel). I fell in love with the team and how they play ever since.

hey, get off my back. I can say “we” without catching flack for it.

I will look forward to Bama - OU.  Love to see that offense go up against Bama's D.  Plus Bama is vulnerable in the secondary.  This one should be a lot of fun.  Also wonder what the word will be on Tua's omjury.  Tua vs Murray should be incredibly entertaining.  

@sec101row23 I am going to need you guys to crush the Irish.  Too many Golden Domers around here -- going to suck being around them if they manage to beat Clemson.  You guys spank them and it will shut them up.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not a month ago, no. I started watching them last year. I didnt watch college ball much in my life before but after losing a lot of my sports channels, college came on way more than NFL(being that UGA plays on my local channel). I fell in love with the team and how they play ever since.

hey, get off my back. I can say “we” without catching flack for it.

Welcome to the bandwagon.  Never bothers me when someone jumps on the bandwagon, I will take any support my team can get.  Just don't jump off the bandwagon when we have a down year. 

Happy to have you aboard to talk Dawgs with.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I will look forward to Bama - OU.  Love to see that offense go up against Bama's D.  Plus Bama is vulnerable in the secondary.  This one should be a lot of fun.  Also wonder what the word will be on Tua's omjury.  Tua vs Murray should be incredibly entertaining.  

@sec101row23 I am going to need you guys to crush the Irish.  Too many Golden Domers around here -- going to suck being around them if they manage to beat Clemson.  You guys spank them and it will shut them up.

Would love to beat the Irish.   Not a fan of Brian Kelly.   I like the match up, and I like the possibility of getting Alabama on shorter rest.  Saban is tough with 4 weeks to prepare.  

Just now, Lith said:

Welcome to the bandwagon.  Never bothers me when someone jumps on the bandwagon, I will take any support my team can get.  Just don't jump off the bandwagon when we have a down year. 

Happy to have you aboard to talk Dawgs with.

Appreciate that, Lith.

I’m all in man. I really like the team. I have been looking for a college team to really stick with and call my team but until last year, couldn’t find one I could settle in watching. I live in SEC country. Everyone is LSU or Bama fans — small percentage of Florida fans too. I’d say picking up UGA football makes for some fun conversations in the future with all my SEC fan friends. Glad to be aboard.

Archived