This isn't going to be popular but...would you rather have Darnold or Josh Allen + 3 second rounders?

Pointdexter

Well?   

102 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Darnold
    • Allen + three second-rounders

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had a competent GM and a coach who is offensive minded and a proven track record working with younger QB's I would have gone Allen and used those 2nd rounders on offensive talent.  But we have the words dumbest coach and probably the worst GM in the league so Darnold was the better pick for the Jets.  I just hope Bowels didn't David Carr his career.

3 hours ago, Drums said:

Allen would be an absolute train wreck on this team. Josh McCown was pretty good last year, at least showed flashes, and this year he is terrible. Darnold's been up and down. This offense, with Bates at the wheel, has stalled hard and I'm not sure we'll recover, but for Darnold's sake, I hope we show something, anything.

Actually he wouldn't. The Bills have less talent on offense then the Jets do. Allen is really impressive, assuming his team gets him an o-line and some play makers over the next years, and he continues making the progressions he did this offseason, he's going to be really good.

1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Actually he wouldn't. The Bills have less talent on offense then the Jets do. Allen is really impressive, assuming his team gets him an o-line and some play makers over the next years, and he continues making the progressions he did this offseason, he's going to be really good.

I never said he was bad, and I don’t know much about the Bills, but for a team that started as a disaster, they seem to have come together. The Jets are the complete opposite. We started with some potential and crashed, left for dead, Cast Away, Tom Hanks, except no Wilson and no happy ending. 

3 hours ago, Drums said:

I never said he was bad, and I don’t know much about the Bills, but for a team that started as a disaster, they seem to have come together. The Jets are the complete opposite. We started with some potential and crashed, left for dead, Cast Away, Tom Hanks, except no Wilson and no happy ending. 

Yeah one thing about the Bills is that he has a much better coaching staff than what Darnold has on the Jets. His offense is pretty horrendous outside of McCoy, but he has a much more capable oc & hc. Jets really should have kept Morton. Now Darnold is going to have to learn a whole new offense. My only hope is that his confidence isn't shot from dealing with the terrible coaches on the Jets.

Josh Allen seems to be blossoming very well. I alway felt he had that duel threat ability but didn't think it was going to be as great as he's displayed so far. There's so many plays in which the OL would get finessed and he would avoid a clean defender. Rarely when Ive watched him has he gotten sacked. He's alway escaping and throwing the ball away and when he doesn't finds a defender down field or will take off with it. 

You guys know what I was saying during at the draft therefore knkw my answer. Nothing can change now so go Darnold!

On 12/2/2018 at 4:47 PM, Pointdexter said:

Despite many fans' assurances that Josh Allen was the second coming of Christian Hackenberg, he's pretty damn good.

While we're being forced to look hard at every move Macc has made to decide if he should continue to guide the ship, and with the inarguable huge blunders of passing on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes last year for a safety, was this another calculated mistake?  We're talking about 3 premium picks he surrendered (high second rounders) and also potentially passing on the best QB prospect...again.  

Personally I love Sam and am still very high on him but it's very debatable whether he's going to be better than Allen.

Now bring on the butt fumbles. ?

Allen still has a way to go with his accuracy. I knew he could be mobile. Also I wonder how he would handle NY coming from Wyoming

15 hours ago, Drums said:

You forget also the Bills went to the playoffs last year. So there was more there from the start

On 12/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, Philc1 said:

So would anyone who’s not a jet homer

You are incorrect,  I am as far from a homer as you can get.  I blast the jets more than most for most of their moves.  Darnold is the better Qb prospect and a few years from now we'll see it.

Allen showed more potential than I ever expected, happy to give credit.  Yes, I was/am in the do not want the Jets to draft Allen camp but today he showed a strong arm, pocket awareness and great running ability.... it appears that Allen is better than the hack and I may have been wrong about his potential as a QB in the NFL, best of luck to him. 

That said; Darnold 1 - Allen 0 = Sam was the better QB today and led the Jets to sweet victory, looking forward to this battle twice a year

On 12/4/2018 at 8:21 PM, rangerous said:

yeah.  mayfield was getting a bust in canton until the last game too.  all of these guys haven't shown much yet.  of the big four it's still mayfield and darnold one-two or maybe two-one.  allen is inaccurate and has been relying on his legs to make plays.  that will only work so far.

Uh, no. It’s still Mayfield 1, then everyone else and has been that way for a while. I’ll give Sam second after today because I’m a Jets fan, and he got us a win in the way we hoped he could. He took a step forward today which is why the guys who wanted him to sit the season out didn’t have a clue.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Some Jet fans are just absolutely brutal to interact with... 

I knew some of you would give up on Darnold when it got rough.

I dont think anyone is giving up on him. It's a value question. You can still think Darnold is going to be better, but is he three second round players better for a team with lots of holes?  Not so ridiculous a question if you ask me, regardless of the fact that we generally whiff on 2nd rounders. 

I dont think anyone is giving up on him. It's a value question. You can still think Darnold is going to be better, but is he three second round players better for a team with lots of holes?  Not so ridiculous a question if you ask me, regardless of the fact that we generally whiff on 2nd rounders. 

Yes, he is three 2nd rounders better than Josh Allen.

Allen can’t escape his poor accuracy by running his whole career. Its not sustainable. The mooks that think he’s legit will be the same people silenced a few years from now when he becomes a career backup.

Allen is exciting to watch, he's an extremely good running QB. He's a poor mans Cam Newton IMO. He'll win games given the right circumstances. The thing is if and when he can't use his legs anymore, I don't think he'll hold up. I don't believe that he is and will be a good passer. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he is three 2nd rounders better than Josh Allen.

Allen can’t escape his poor accuracy by running his whole career. Its not sustainable. The mooks that think he’s legit will be the same people silenced a few years from now when he becomes a career backup.

I like Sam better and was happy when we got him. The question becomes which second rounders we could have drafted that will never see Jets green jerseys. It's an unknown for the next year or two until these QBs develop  and. The 2nd rounders that would have been available put something on tape. 

I saw a lot of a young Joe Willie in Allen today. Comparison to that early version of Namath?

1. Amazing arm
  2. Lack of accuracy
  3. Taking bad chances because he believes too much in #1
  4. The chance to be great
  5. … or not of he doesn't learn how to play NFL football in time. Joe did but it took until year 4.  

The difference? He didn't rip up a knee in college without the benefit of arthroscopy. Imagine if Joe could run like this?

Put him in the Hall now? Well, not quite yet. Let's see if he is able to adapt and learn or not. Same with Darnold.

The good news is that what you saw today could be years of two exciting games every single year with these two potentially good to great players providing memorable games.  

You can debate all this ad nauseum but there is one thing that can't be argued. It is going to be interesting as heck to see how these two guys shake out and we get to watch them both.   

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Allen is the stronger thrower. Darnold is the better passer.

I'll stick with the better passer, thank you.

Yep.  Darnold >>>> Allen

Allen's best highlights in yesterday's game were him taking off after long runs, with a couple nice throws.

Darnold's best highlights were a Tarkenton-like escape and TD throw and a perfect long sideline throw in a 4th Quarter TD drive.

Archived