Leonard Williams has turned into Mohammed Wilkerson

Kleckineau

At least Mo had 2 double digit sack seasons when he cared and was chasing a check...and he was a bottom of the 1st round pick

Sad to say I think Leo is just one of those guys who won’t live up to his draft stock....Maccagnan wanted to be “safe” with his 1st draft pick ever...sometimes those high floor guys never reach their ceiling. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/3/2018 at 9:49 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Williams is not Wilkerson. Not even close. he never takes a play off and clearly cares about winning. You can slam his production but you can't slam his effort. 
Wilkerson tanked the moment he got his contract. 

This...thank you.  HUGE difference between Mo and Leo.  You wanna crap on Leo because you think he just sucks in general....fine.

But when it comes to effort and attitude there is no comparison.

Totally the wrong pick, especially at the time we had two 3-4 DE's on the roster in Mo and Sheldon. 

I'd wanted Atlanta's Vic Beasley, his career has been up and down but statically much better then Leo. Plus he's an edge. 

I hope we can trade him for a 2nd round pick.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:30 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Leo was over Drafted. He's a run stuffing 3-4 DE. As for the double team narrative. J.J Watt, Arron Donald get double teamed.

The difference is they often break the double team, and make plays. Leo does not, trade him get that second back we paid for Sam.

No the difference is the Texans and Rams HC/DC actually know how to scheme a defense.

Bowles Throws Leo out there to eat up blocks so his "all star" linebackers can come free on blitzes.

Comparing those two defenses to the Jets is like comparing a high speed bullet train to a conestoga wagon

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No the difference is the Texans and Rams HC/DC actually know how to scheme a defense.

Bowles Throws Leo out there to eat up blocks so his "all star" linebackers can come free on blitzes.

Comparing those two defenses to the Jets is like comparing a high speed bullet train to a conestoga wagon

I’m sure there is a middle ground. I’m very down on Leo but I think he’d be better with a better cheer/coaching but he has underperformed GREATLY and that’s on him too. He doesn’t get a pass.

The tough part is that his salary starts to skyrocket and even if he has “potential” he’s absolutely not worth even the $14 mil option next year. Although I agree with the point “who else are we going to spend money on” to a degree but I’ve really soured on Leo and just can’t justify it. I’d trade him and move on. Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m sure there is a middle ground. I’m very down on Leo but I think he’d be better with a better cheer/coaching but he has underperformed GREATLY and that’s on him too. He doesn’t get a pass.

The tough part is that his salary starts to skyrocket and even if he has “potential” he’s absolutely not worth even the $14 mil option next year. Although I agree with the point “who else are we going to spend money on” to a degree but I’ve really soured on Leo and just can’t justify it. I’d trade him and move on. Lesson learned.

That's been the problem with the Jets over Bowles tenure , they sour on the top end players who Bowles can't get to work in his system. Fans are happy to see them go because they view them as lazy or malcontents , but all its masking is how bad Bowles/Rodgers have been at utilizing talent properly.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's been the problem with the Jets over Bowles tenure , they sour on the top end players who Bowles can't get to work in his system. Fans are happy to see them go because they view them as lazy or malcontents , but all its masking is how bad Bowles/Rodgers have been at utilizing talent properly.

I used to think this was true and don’t get me wrong, his poor coaching definitely hurts the players, but no one left and has done great elsewhere.

Gilchrist and Davis are about the same, Richardson still same as down years as a Jet and Wilkerson is flaming out of league. Snacks was great here and great with the Giants and is only slowing down now. Etc...

So I don’t buy this as much as I possibly did earlier in his coaching tenure. I do place a lot of blame on Leo at this point and can’t justify paying him $14 mil just to make Mac look good and so he can get less heat.

This is why we need an outside perspective and not someone that is completely biased and trying to save his former draft picks so his personal performance looks better. 

43 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The same people in this thread burying Leo will be lambasting the Jets for letting him walk when he's an All Pro DT for the Cowboys in two years.

Leo doesnt need any shovel help from us he is doing a fine job burying himself.

Lol Cowboys are gonna give him big money after watching his tape? Really?

He is clearly mailing it in. Why defend it?

On 12/3/2018 at 9:17 AM, JiF said:

Williams has been a monster disappointment.  However, I do think DL is similar to OL in that your play can be greatly impacted by the overall effectiveness of your entire unit.  The Jets unit, is absolutely terrible.  Williams is the only legitimate player on the unit.

He'll be a player as soon as he leaves this god forsaken franchise.  I'm confident in that.  Put him on a line with just at least one legitimate threat to take some attention away and he'll be good.

Not excusing him, he's been terrible but it's really hard to judge anyone on this D with the most incompetent coaching staff I've ever come across. 

We all know the coaching staff stinks, but c’mon. Either he can play or he can’t. You watch a guy play the DL and he’s either a beast or he’s not. Especially in a 3-4 defense. Leo is nowhere near a beast. He’s not going anywhere else and becoming a star. He’s barely better then a jag, and with his contract situation we’d be lucky to get a 4th for him. Last off season was the time to dump him and possibly get a decent pick. Too late now.

Archived