Convince me on McCarthy.(And if you don’t like McCarthy then convince me on your most desired candidate)

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't see why mccarthy is getting so much bad press.  teams go through bad spells and 13 years is a long time to be a head coach.  look how long it took for the cowboys or dolfins to finally move away from shula and landry.  and look how klingons like marvin lewis keep their jobs wihout much success beyond making the playoffs.

maybe mccarthy isn't the right guy but he should be in the mix.

McCarthy literally checks all the boxes

offensive guy? Check

Proven winner? Check

Only problem is he’s not below the age of 25

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Amazing how McCarthy sucks but LaFleur barely beat a Todd Bowles defense today and that’s the guy people are salivating over

I don’t know much about LaFleur but it may also be that Mariota is ATROCIOUS. That was the most painful part of watching that game. We are lucky that we don’t have him as QB. Good god.....

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just a thought.......

The Packers fire a SB winning HC in mid season because he is incompetent but on the other hand  the Jets must keep their Poorly performing HC because they want to maintain the ongoing mediocrity that their HC has firmly established.  

You cant make it up!!

The only advantage that we have over other teams is job security and the longest leash possible. To keep Bowles like this is bizarre. He and Mac have been terrible on epic levels and there are no talks of Macc being fired and Bowles is going to survive until the end of the season. You pretty much can do no wrong following a guy like Bowles.

If I’m a head coach and Macc is retained, I refuse to come here unless I have equal power with Mac. He’s a trash p*ssy GM and needs to be bosses around. No way Mac runs this team and has a coach report to him. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Nobody that is any good is coming here 

Sooner you accept it the better 

I agree completely. Only change would be if we fired Mac and ONLY if we replaced Mac with a well respected front office which isn’t realistic.

We are better off just taking a chance on some offensive minded coach and get a good D coordinator and just cross our fingers. It’s not a perfect plan but what choice do we have?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Agree.  The jets are a hot mess with bad ownership and a lousy GM.  None of the big names or hot assistants will want to come here

Give Joe Lombardi the Saints QB coach a shot.  

We should honestly just realize that everything has been a failure and regardless of who we hire, keep an eye out for opportunities and bring along a great football mind whenever the opportunity presents itself and have them be the president of football ops so they can at least garner some interest from actual good candidates.

We have to rebuild our image and respect from the ground up. It will require getting lucking and having some rookie or unknown getting lucky and hitting on some moves to build a young roster with potential. Then and only then will a respected outsider see it as an opportunity that isn’t career suicide.

The ONLY head coach that loves the Jets and can handle being here and actually cares Ian Rex Ryan. That’s it. When that’s your only option and you already exhausted it, you have to just blow everything up. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The ONLY head coach that loves the Jets and can handle being here and actually cares Ian Rex Ryan. That’s it. When that’s your only option and you already exhausted it, you have to just blow everything up. 

Agree the man coached this team with the upmost passion anyone could ever ask for in a HC. 

He was made for this job. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

My top two choices are Carmichael and Toub. I wouldn’t mind DeFilippo but think he could use some more time.

With Carmichael and Toub, when you listen to them talk football, they just seem ready to have the lead job. Carmichael seems knowledgeable on the draft process and seems like a guy who can work well with Macc (he’s not getting fired unfortunately). 

Regardless of the choice, they will need to build a good staff. Both come from good trees and likely will have access to top coaches particularly on the offensive side.

Agree! I would be willing to give either of them a shot.

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Nobody can win with what we have now but I would trust him to develop our one asset a lot more than any other HC candidate out there

this, this team could have easily won 3 to 4 more games with a coach 500 with this team would be good with the right coach. But bowles finds ways to lose games 

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

How does Cower career in Pittsburgh compare to McCarthy's? 

people seemed happy with the idea that the chin may come out of the booth to rescue the Jets but McCarthy is worse than bowles?

I just don’t see why we can’t hire one of these older guys as president of football ops and execute a vision. Make sure the coaches are doing good jobs, teaching them things etc. things that they can still handle on a less intense/demanding schedule than coaches.

That’s how you help groom a young coach. As long as these old bastards realize they aren’t the coach and meant to enforce the overall vision of the team in this MODERN league which requires different priorities like OFFENSE and a bend don’t break, turnover creating defense. Team would have instant respect and credibility with a great former coach in that position.

packers coach was done in by arod-arod is the problem but the franchise so they wont get rid of him. Arod is passive aggressive and is the problem. He wanted top dollar using a huge chunk of the payroll and then complains about the lack of supporting cast around him. Arod has played very poorly this year.

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Proven commodity.  He put Roger's in a position to be successful.  I would buy into the notion he can do that for Darnold. Darnold could be a lot like Roger's given the right guidance.   

Rodgers has a super computer brain and is one of the most accurate throwers the game has ever seen.  McCarthy is a lot closer to Jim Caldwell than Sean Payton. 

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

A Super Bowl and 3 NFCGs isn’t winning?

1 SB appearance in 2008

leader in passer rating in league history  104.1

best td to int ration in league history   4.13 td's per interception

best interception ratio in laague history  1.5%

he is in the conversation of the GOAT along with T.B. yet tom has 8 SB appearances and 5 SB rings.  So I ask, is it the coach or the QB?

5 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

1 SB appearance in 2008

leader in passer rating in league history  104.1

best td to int ration in league history   4.13 td's per interception

best interception ratio in laague history  1.5%

he is in the conversation of the GOAT along with T.B. yet tom has 8 SB appearances and 5 SB rings.  So I ask, is it the coach or the QB?

And developed by McCarthy.  Your point?

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t know much about LaFleur but it may also be that Mariota is ATROCIOUS. That was the most painful part of watching that game. We are lucky that we don’t have him as QB. Good god.....

Mariota is so overrated.  

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And developed by McCarthy.  Your point?

my question still remains, was it the coach or the QB?

If McCarthy is such a great offensive mind, with a QB that is in the conversation as the GOAT, why only 1 SB appearance when the other

Goat QB has 8?

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Advocates of McCarthy...show me the light. Packer fans are telling me that he is too conservative and he’ll run on 3rd/10. They tell me he’ll try to force schemes on players that don’t fit and he’ll fail at it. They say he isn’t creative enough.

Some of them say he’s a good coach and had success but his play calling has been outdated.

use this thread to convince me that he’s the first guy you schedule an interview with this offseason. 

Edit:: And If you hate the guy as an option, convince me on your desired candidate.

McCarthy's resume is impressive.  Not too many out there like that hit the free market.  125/77 (18-10 in playoffs).  Super Bowl.  Pretty ridiculous.

I know, Aaron Rodgers.  And I get it.  Dudes the best I've ever seen and yeah, they should probably have a least 1 more ring but Super Bowls IMO are an unfair estimation of greatness.  Especially in an era dominated by a disgusting group of cheaters.  And to his credit, to usher in Rodgers he had to usher out, Favre.  An above legend status persona.  It helped Rodgers was great but looking back, that's not an easy thing to manage for a new Head Coach.

The 2 strongest cases against him are that he didnt win enough (nice problem to have) and the NFL hasnt been kind to retreads.  Doubt he'd ever come to this hell hole. 

My choice would be Eric Beinemey.  A couple of reasons.  He's been under Andy Ried since 2013, the OC is kind of defacto there so just give me some osmosis from Ried, I'm not worried about tenure at the OC position.  He's been an OC before at his Alma Mater.  Before that he was under another Ried disciple in Childress at the VIkings working under Bevell who was OC at the time, which probably moves EB way up @T0mShane's list.  He was noted for being the reason the offense didnt blow up in 2009 when he had to deal with ego's like Favre, Peterson, Taylor and Harvin.  If you can manage those type of personalities, I'm confident he could handle the bozo's on this team.  

Let's face it, we're not getting a high profile coach.  Why not take the OC from the best offense in the league who happens to be watching their 2nd year, 1st year starting QB go mental.

If Harbaugh doesn't get fired, McCarthy is the best option out there IMO. We need a proven candidate with real direction. We continue to swing and miss when jumping onto trends. The McVay trend is cool in LA but 1: He hasn't won a Superbowl (and IMO won't this year) 2: There are WAY more misses on coordinator hires than hits. Harbaugh is far and away my #1 guy though.

Maybe I'm just tired of spinning the wheel of coordinators, who knows.

The only issue is will he actually want to come here? McCarthy doesn't strike me as a big market guy. Who can blame him - look at what NY does to its coaches.

I'd be happy with John DeFillipo or Eric Beinemy. They seem like the best realistic choices.

Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell would be exciting but I don't think we could get them or that we're gonna go college.

For retreads I'd be happy with John Harbaugh but I don't see him getting fired at this point. Bruce Arians would be amazing but obviously has zero chance of happening for a multitude of reasons. Hard pass on Mike McCarthy or Gary Kubiak.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

McCarthy's resume is impressive.  Not too many out there like that hit the free market.  125/77 (18-10 in playoffs).  Super Bowl.  Pretty ridiculous.

I know, Aaron Rodgers.  And I get it.  Dudes the best I've ever seen and yeah, they should probably have a least 1 more ring but Super Bowls IMO are an unfair estimation of greatness.  Especially in an era dominated by a disgusting group of cheaters.  And to his credit, to usher in Rodgers he had to usher out, Favre.  An above legend status persona.  It helped Rodgers was great but looking back, that's not an easy thing to manage for a new Head Coach.

The 2 strongest cases against him are that he didnt win enough (nice problem to have) and the NFL hasnt been kind to retreads.  Doubt he'd ever come to this hell hole. 

My choice would be Eric Beinemey.  A couple of reasons.  He's been under Andy Ried since 2013, the OC is kind of defacto there so just give me some osmosis from Ried, I'm not worried about tenure at the OC position.  He's been an OC before at his Alma Mater.  Before that he was under another Ried disciple in Childress at the VIkings working under Bevell who was OC at the time, which probably moves EB way up @T0mShane's list.  He was noted for being the reason the offense didnt blow up in 2009 when he had to deal with ego's like Favre, Peterson, Taylor and Harvin.  If you can manage those type of personalities, I'm confident he could handle the bozo's on this team.  

Let's face it, we're not getting a high profile coach.  Why not take the OC from the best offense in the league who happens to be watching their 2nd year, 1st year starting QB go mental.

Very nice post. Thank you. I find anyone from the KC Chiefs — and particularly anyone under Reid as an intriguing option.

Suggested him a few weeks ago, but on second thought I take it back. He's not a bad coach....but is overrated. Packers fans have wanted him gone for years now. Known as an offensive mind but the concepts the Packers run are a lil stale now....doesn't really come off as a forward thinking innovator...

Would rather look elsewhere if we want to hire a head coach with experience

16 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

That just can't happen... I mean I like the guy but he's 70 and being a head coach is very taxing. Good coaches are putting in over 60 hours a week. Let him enjoy his retirement. 

Not that I disagree about the age but he is still the Special Teams Coordinator for the Saints...not retired.

18 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Advocates of McCarthy...show me the light. Packer fans are telling me that he is too conservative and he’ll run on 3rd/10. They tell me he’ll try to force schemes on players that don’t fit and he’ll fail at it. They say he isn’t creative enough.

Some of them say he’s a good coach and had success but his play calling has been outdated.

use this thread to convince me that he’s the first guy you schedule an interview with this offseason. 

Edit:: And If you hate the guy as an option, convince me on your desired candidate.

I do not care for McCarthy.  Too many of his offense's big plays in key moments are the product of Rodgers' improvisational skills.  I do not see great design in his offense as , say, Andy Reed shows

18 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Proven commodity.  He put Roger's in a position to be successful.  I would buy into the notion he can do that for Darnold. Darnold could be a lot like Roger's given the right guidance.  

He would bring the best out of Darnold. The man is a winner and this is a team game. A lot of people say, if he can't win with Rodgers why would he win here. A HC can become worn out like a broken record after 13 seasons and that is most likely what happened. Given a fresh start in a new city I think it would revitalize him and this moribund team. This team is 52 dead men walking right now.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be happy with John DeFillipo or Eric Beinemy. They seem like the best realistic choices.

Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell would be exciting but I don't think we could get them or that we're gonna go college.

For retreads I'd be happy with John Harbaugh but I don't see him getting fired at this point. Bruce Arians would be amazing but obviously has zero chance of happening for a multitude of reasons. Hard pass on Mike McCarthy or Gary Kubiak.

The Ravens - much like the Jets - seem to always struggle offensively, so Harbaugh would not be a good choice. Bienemy, is interesting as is DeFillippo, and I also would put Bill Musgrave into the mix. Denver always is able to run the ball and being a former QB Musgrave could work wonders with Darnold.

As of right now...I’m not locked in on any of the top candidates....all of the offensive whiz kids come with reservations and the same with the popular retreads being thrown arounds. I don’t trust that any of the defensive minds can bring in the right OC. We will and must fire Bowles but I truly hope someone rises from the candidate pool and we can somehow land them...because right now it Wouldn’t shock me if we’re right back at this point in 2-3 years 

I would like either Carmichael or Campbell from the Saints.  My preference would be Campbell if he were able to bring Zac Taylor from the Rams with him as offensive coordinator.  He was the interim offensive coordinator of the Dolphins when Campbell was the interim head coach.  Campbell has some experience, although limited, and with Taylor would bring some innovative offensive concepts from both the Saints and Rams.  I’m not sure who he has ties with defensively but I’m sure he has someone.  There sure be a number of decent defensive guys available at the end of the season.

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Who do you like? Give me something.

I don't know.  de Fillipo did not impress --against the Patriots, of all teams.  I am intrigued by the guy in NO.  But he may not have the chops to be a HC. It is more than just play design.   I dont know if he is sharp and gets buried by Payton or if he just manages the projector, so to speak.  I just love the number of simple completions they create for decent gains.  And they run it too.  And I love the NO offense.  Not a Harbaugh guy.  But there is an argument for the Jets hiring someone who has been a head coach.  Their problems are more than just X's and O's.  Maybe the college ranks?

Archived