Let’s look at the one bright side

Jetsplayer21

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Taking the "BPA" without even considering positional value is what makes Macc clueless.  BPA is still a good strategy, provided you recognize which positions are actually important in today's NFL.

It should be "Most Valuable Player Available", not "Best Player Available".

Why he has never drafted a pass rusher. They are highly valued, for good reason. They are reached for, so unless mac has the first pick overall and the Pass rusher is bpa, he will never draft 1.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Sam Darnold is on this team because of the steel balls of Mike Mac.  That blind trade from 6 to 3 may be, dare I say will be, the fulcrum that shifts this franchise to moving forward. 

For that alone he deserves a couple more years, let him hire his HC.

Holy sh*t your homerism knows no bounds.

You nailed it by using the words 'blind trade".  We didn't trade up to get Sam Darnold.  We traded up to a spot, and happened to have Darnold fall into our lap.

Does that inspire confidence in Macc?  Because what you're telling me is that a fortuitous bounce in our direction was the one solid move in the Macc tenure.  And that, in order for him to be successful in acquiring more quality players here, he'll have to get lucky again and again.

Sure, let's ignore all of Maccagnan's awful, ludicrous draft selections in 4 drafts.  Let's pin our next 3-5 years on a GM whose best and, really, ONLY solid move was a "blind trade".

Absolutely ridiculous.

Id also like to see both gone. 

But i dont buy into theory that bowles gone and mac not gone equals disaster

Mac doesnt coach, pick starters, game plan, manage  the clock and adjust at halftime. 

So to me, a competent coach will make a significant difference 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Nathan Shepherd played 12 whole snaps yesterday, is that a bright spot?...Lol

He's gotta lot to learn. He's big and athletic, but he doesn't know how to shed blocks. Kind of the same problem Leo has,

58 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why he has never drafted a pass rusher. They are highly valued, for good reason. They are reached for, so unless mac has the first pick overall and the Pass rusher is bpa, he will never draft 1.

We'll get our pass rusher this year. Either in free agency or the draft. maybe both

39 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

True. But because mac is so horrible, the odds of us finder a gm who is better is very good.

Everybody had high hopes this year, with the drafting of Darnold.. It hasn't gone well and everyone is lashing out. Considering what he inherited as a roster and an inept HC, forced on him, i think he's been okay. Lets see who he chooses to be the next HC. That will tell us alot about where this team is going in the draft and in the future.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Everybody had high hopes this year, with the drafting of Darnold.. It hasn't gone well and everyone is lashing out. Considering what he inherited as a roster and an inept HC, forced on him, i think he's been okay. Lets see who he chooses to be the next HC. That will tell us alot about where this team is going in the draft and in the future.

This roster is worse than the one he inherited, which is really saying something.  There's nothing Mac's done to instill any confidence that he can suddenly improve on something he's done a poor job of for 4 years already.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Holy sh*t your homerism knows no bounds.

You nailed it by using the words 'blind trade".  We didn't trade up to get Sam Darnold.  We traded up to a spot, and happened to have Darnold fall into our lap.

Does that inspire confidence in Macc?  Because what you're telling me is that a fortuitous bounce in our direction was the one solid move in the Macc tenure.  And that, in order for him to be successful in acquiring more quality players here, he'll have to get lucky again and again.

Sure, let's ignore all of Maccagnan's awful, ludicrous draft selections in 4 drafts.  Let's pin our next 3-5 years on a GM whose best and, really, ONLY solid move was a "blind trade".

Absolutely ridiculous.

The trade from 6 to 3 was savvy AF for the reasons you’re knocking it. Of course he didn’t know Darnold was going to be there but that move is WHY the Jets finally have a FQB. Mike Mac solely made that possible, by definition he didn’t know exactly who was going to be there but he was BOLD and history will show it to be a brilliant move.  Luck involved, yes by definition but luck favors the prepared and Mac prescouted the 2018 QB’s allowing him to make this trade very early in the process before other teams had their sh*t together. 

How much would it have cost to go from 6 to 3 when the colts were on the clock with the near consensus best QB prospect still available in Sam Darnold. Have you seen the crazy moves the Bills made all year getting themselves ina position for this QB class, trading away Corys Glenn a quality LT for draft pick capital? Have you seen what the Eagles and Rams gave up to land Wentz and Goff?

it is not homerism. It is RESPECT for an incredible move that put us in a position to the finally get the one thing you’ve never had your whole life, a FQB. I’m just not allowing my hate for everything Jets right now blind me from appreciating the absolutely brilliant move that allowed us to get Sam Darnold. Give credit where it’s due. Mike Mac did it because he was prepared and had balls which allowed luck to occur.

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

The trade from 6 to 3 was savvy AF for the reasons you’re knocking it. Of course he didn’t know Darnold was going to be there but that move is WHY the Jets finally have a FQB. Mike Mac solely made that possible

The the entire point is that he didn't solely make it possible. If the Giants had taken Darnold, we'd be sitting here with one of the Joshes.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

True. But because mac is so horrible, the odds of us finder a gm who is better is very good.

A blind folded monkey throwing darts could do a better job drafting than Mac has. Gotta make hay in the middle rounds the guy has failed repeatedly & the team plays like it’s been cut & pasted together.

The next GM inherits a terrible thin roster but at least has QB in place, a star Safety, an up & coming TE. Whoever comes in has a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, genot said:

? That is not accurate. Most fans who have a clue knew darnold wasn’t going to come in here as a 21 yr old rookie behind one of the worst offensive rosters in nfl and “ light it up “ especially considering McCown having a. Very decent yr. it was not certain he would even start. Mac did absolutely nothing to improve the horrible offense. Your forgetting Mac inherited a gutted roster, But walked into a new gms wet dream with tremendous cap space. Instead of using cap and draft to build a OL, offense weapons, he failed on a lot of picks, and threw $$ into bad contracts. He is as bad of a gm, as bowles is hc

maybe.  i doubt if teams carry over there successes and losses from one year to the next so the record at the end shouldn't matter.  but at the same time they should start playing the young guys more to get them reps.  thos should carry over to next season.
Just ask Jacksonville about carry over from one year to the next.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Taking the "BPA" without even considering positional value is what makes Macc clueless.  BPA is still a good strategy, provided you recognize which positions are actually important in today's NFL.

It should be "Most Valuable Player Available", not "Best Player Available".

I think this is bullsh*t.  BPA does consider positional value.  If Mac doesn't then he is not properly doing it. I think his larger problems are not properly evaluating talent (Hackenberg, Stewart) and overvaluation of a high floor. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is bullsh*t.  BPA does consider positional value.  If Mac doesn't then he is not properly doing it. I think his larger problems are not properly evaluating talent (Hackenberg, Stewart) and overvaluation of a high floor.  

Exactly.  I was saying Macc utilizes BPA improperly.  Not sure how this is significantly different from what I just said.

5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

There is no bright side until there is a full regime change at GM and HC.  Bowles and Mac have been complete failures here and it's STUNNING that Mac seemingly will keep his job beyond this year.  STUNNING.

As the Brits say, it’s just Preposterous.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  I was saying Macc utilizes BPA improperly.  Not sure how this is significantly different from what I just said.

Just the MVP vs. BPA thing that I find to be bullsh*t. It's the same reason that in high school the best player is almost always QB.  People are stuck on Mac as a big BPA guy because he took Williams with Sheldon and Wilkerson on board.  I don't see it.  Especially with the Maye and Hansen picks he seemed to be hedging his bets to fill a need.

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Losing out will only help us for next yr. We all know bowles and mac are both disasters. It is scary how long it always takes for the Johnsons to realize failure. Losing out may yield us the top pick, but may be what is needed for a clean house, to fire Bowles and mac. If we were to win 2 more games who knows, Johnsons may decide to keep mac, and even Bowles. Any jet fan with a brains knows they both need to go.

With a competent HC, gm, a non rookie darnold, top 3 pick, and 100 mil to spend, 2019 could be a very fun yr.  losing sucks, but another yr of Mac and Bowles we cannot afford..

Wouldn't be surprised if a new HC (the right HC!) jumped right into a 9-10 win season.  Could be a lot like Rex's first year if the right guy can accelerate Sam Darnold's development and get the right D Coordinator in place to maximize the talent on that side of the ball (with a possible move to 4-3)

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Just the MVP vs. BPA thing that I find to be bullsh*t. It's the same reason that in high school the best player is almost always QB.  People are stuck on Mac as a big BPA guy because he took Williams with Sheldon and Wilkerson on board.  I don't see it.  Especially with the Maye and Hansen picks he seemed to be hedging his bets to fill a need.

I have no clue what his draft philosophy is because it’s inconsistent and bizarre. Either way it’s a complete failure. Even moving up and drafting a QB in 2018 was drafting for need. What not just take one in 2017 with your #6 pick and 2 decent prospects on the board? Like take advantage of having a high pick? I just don’t understand him. 

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The the entire point is that he didn't solely make it possible. If the Giants had taken Darnold, we'd be sitting here with one of the Joshes.

If Sam hits (as most of us think/hope he will) there’s one man responsible - the guy you’re all racing to get rid of.  

For you history guys this is Harry Truman 2.0. 

29 minutes ago, David Harris said:

If Sam hits (as most of us think/hope he will) there’s one man responsible - the guy you’re all racing to get rid of.  

For you history guys this is Harry Truman 2.0. 

agreed Maccagnan will look smart when we nuke Massachusetts 

23 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly. That is what scares me. I I would hope maybe watching a fairly healthy team get embarrassed every week would somehow wake the little Johnson retards up and realize how god awful of a gm mac has been. 

See, you're exactly right. The problem is ownership. They are incapable of making ANY smart decision. Their goal is money, not wins. They make plenty and they are content. I sincerely doubt they will ever get it right. 

I agree with the sentiment but a strong argument can be made for stability and consistency too. It is time for Bowles to go ... Mainly because he was supposed to be a defensive guru and his defenses have just not been any good after years of investing premium draft picks on that side of the ball. Mac can stay for one more draft but if he Bullock's it up ... He's gone. One exception to this would be If we hire Belichikian overlord or a Coughlenesque Czar. Then they need the keys to the candy store.

Losing out will only help us for next yr. We all know bowles and mac are both disasters. It is scary how long it always takes for the Johnsons to realize failure. Losing out may yield us the top pick, but may be what is needed for a clean house, to fire Bowles and mac. If we were to win 2 more games who knows, Johnsons may decide to keep mac, and even Bowles. Any jet fan with a brains knows they both need to go.

With a competent HC, gm, a non rookie darnold, top 3 pick, and 100 mil to spend, 2019 could be a very fun yr.  losing sucks, but another yr of Mac and Bowles we cannot afford..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Archived