Boomer this morning...

NYallDay

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So if you keep repeating this, do you hope one day Vernon Gholston will magically disappear from existence?  The entire argument of baselessly crediting Mangini for the work of others is dependent on dismissing him being here for the drafting of one of the NFL's all-time biggest busts.

The work of who? If you think Tannenbaum should get the lions share of the credit for the roster construction for the title runs that's fine. But between the solid FA signings and their drafts, it's tough to ignore Manginis at least slight influence. Gholston was a horrible pick in a horrible all around first round.

Just now, slimjasi said:

If they were firing him today, why wouldn't they have done it first thing this morning?

I suspect we will be starting at this guy for another month

I'll deal with that as long as Bowles and Mcc go out the door together on Black Monday/Black Sunday Night.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you're arguing Tannenbaum was probably better than Idzik and the current GM, I wont argue back. But Mangini was here while the core was buil(to say he wasnt involved in the draft isnt true as he ran the pre draft interviews) for the 09/10 teams and the roster drastically fell apart by 2012 because the Jets drafted terribly. That trend has continued till the present.

I didn't say he wasn't involved, I said he wasn't the GM and he had zero success without tannenbaum while tannenbaum had a lot of success without him.

The Jets went for it from 2008-2011, they came close but didn't finish. Tannenbaum knew he had to retool the roster post 2012 but his first losing season in 5 years resulted in his firing which set the franchise back and we have never recovered

3 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Do it. Now. I frankly don't care if the beer guy coaches the rest of the way. 

My vote for HC is that guy that fills the footballs up with air before the games. I heard he’s a precision ball filler. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I didn't say he wasn't involved, I said he wasn't the GM and he had zero success without tannenbaum while tannenbaum had a lot of success without him.

The Jets went for it from 2008-2011, they came close but didn't finish. Tannenbaum knew he had to retool the roster post 2012 but his first losing season in 5 years resulted in his firing which set the franchise back and we have never recovered

Tannenbaum towards the end was making nutso personnel decisions e.g. Plaxico, Tebow along with giving Holmes and Sanchez contracts they werent worth. His time was up and they were never getting back. He's done a below average job in Miami as well.

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

the right time was the bye week but if it happens, at least we can start to believe that bowles will not be back next year

Would not put it past the Jets to fire him this year and re-hire him in the offseason. 

"We saw Todd was having a difficult time, so we gave him a few months off to relax and gather himself.  We're proud to announce he's back to lead this organization."

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Make Dennison HC/OC. Either demote Bates back to qb coach or fire him too. Rodgers should go too obviously, maybe Green can be DC? Can't fire all the coaches now I guess. Although the local high school staff could do a better job than this sad bunch. 

This is where Bowles showed that this job was too much for him-his Coordinators.  

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I get this argument but then you'd also be saying that you wouldn't hire Belichick. 

Belichick has consistently won a division every year with Brady. Mccarthy struggles to make the playoffs most years with Rodgers. Quite a big difference in coaching records. 

No one is saying you should never hire a HC that only succeeded with a HOF QB, just that you EXPECT them to win and when they repeatedly fail to do so and their own time fires that coach mid-season it should tell you something. 

How many great HCs that won super bowls were canned mid-season? 

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tannenbaum towards the end was making nutso personnel decisions e.g. Plaxico, Tebow along with giving Holmes and Sanchez contracts they werent worth. His time was up and they were never getting back. He's done a below average job in Miami as well.

He was but we have to remember what was going on in the league as far as the labor deal. Remember there were special rules for final 4/final 8 teams that handcuffed them.  

He made mistakes and helped ruin Sanchez but he still did a lot more good than bad and the franchise hasn't recovered since his firing.

Miami made one playoff app from 2002-2015 and that was because Tom brady was hurt, they made one in the few years mike has been there.  I wouldn't say he's done a great job but he's done better than we have since he left and he's done better than Mangini has without him.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Browns fired their head coach a month ago and played better afterwards/

Most relevant example to mention is the pre-Jets Bowles HC experience with the Dolphins. 

Sitting at 4-9 the Dolphins fired Sparano with 3 games left, promoted Bowles as interim HC, and they went 2-1 the rest of the way, beating the 5-win Bills and the late-2011-meltdown Jets.

It happens when teams get a sudden change they crave. Don't know if that serves us well at this point or not.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Belichick has consistently won a division every year with Brady. Mccarthy struggles to make the playoffs most years with Rodgers. Quite a big difference in coaching records. 

No one is saying you should never hire a HC that only succeeded with a HOF QB, just that you EXPECT them to win and when they repeatedly fail to do so and their own time fires that coach mid-season it should tell you something. 

How many great HCs that won super bowls were canned mid-season? 

Rodgers is great but he's not Brady and McCarthy made the playoffs every year except Rodgers' first year starting, last year when Rodgers was hurt and this year.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Most relevant example to mention is the pre-Jets Bowles HC experience with the Dolphins. 

Sitting at 4-9 the Dolphins fired Sparano with 3 games left, promoted Bowles as interim HC, and they went 2-1 the rest of the way, beating the 5-win Bills and the late-2011-meltdown Jets.

It happens when teams get a sudden change they crave. Don't know if that serves us well at this point or not.

Whatever move makes it more likely that we fire Bowles and Macc is the right move. Firing Bowels today to feed the angry masses is just NY Jets half measures. Same thing.

4 hours ago, Stark said:

I don’t think it would change much but I would like to see if anything did change by firing Bowles. Would tell a lot for the next coach/regime. 

I just can’t stand seeing Bowles on the sidelines anymore. I was done with him a year ago and it’s only gotten humorous to me that he’s still here. Freaking joke. 

I was done after losing to the Bills that cost us making the playoffs in his 1st year. That was telling. It’s been a downward spiral since then. 

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Whatever move makes it more likely that we fire Bowles and Macc is the right move. Firing Bowels today to feed the angry masses is just NY Jets half measures. Same thing.

At this point I’d take a statement by CJ saying the DC and OC have mononucleosis and will not return for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Of course it's the number of decisions that would need to be made that is the reason they are doing everything possible to avoid making a midseason move.  I mean, who do you really think among the folks running this team would actually make all of those decisions (or, in reality, just more than one of those)?

This is a good point. They’d have to sub out this kind of Machiavellian sh*t. Maybe bring in Isiah Thomas as a consultant?

Even for those who disdain Conspiracy Theories would have a field day with this one.  My theories are that:

• The Johnsons have told Bowles that he gets to save face and finish the year, but Darnold stays on the bench.
  • The Johnsons have told the media that there is going to be a complete housecleaning, but out of respect for the people to not cover it.
  • The relevant social equality forces have told the Jets that if they fire Bowles and keep Mac, it would not be a good look for them.  Mac has not be any better at his job than Bowles has.  Nathan Shepherd is not helping him.  Who did we pass over for him?
3 72 New York Jets Nathan Shepherd  DT Fort Hays State MIAA (D-II)  
  3 73 Miami Dolphins Jerome Baker  LB Ohio State Big Ten  
  3 74 Washington Redskins Geron Christian  OT Louisville ACC from San Francisco [R3 - 5]
  3 75 Kansas City Chiefs Derrick Nnadi  DT Florida State ACC from Oakland via Baltimore [R3 - 6]
  3 76 Pittsburgh Steelers Mason Rudolph  QB Oklahoma State Big 12 from Green Bay via Seattle [R3 - 7]
  3 77 Cincinnati Bengals Sam Hubbard  DE Ohio State Big Ten  
  3 78 Cincinnati Bengals Malik Jefferson  LB Texas Big 12 from Washington via Kansas City [R3 - 8]
  3 79 Seattle Seahawks Rasheem Green  DE USC Pac-12 from Oakland via Arizona and Pittsburgh [R3 - 9]
  3 80 Houston Texans Martinas Rankin  OT Mississippi State SEC from Seattle [R3 - 10]
  3 81 Dallas Cowboys Michael Gallup  WR Colorado State MW  
  3 82 Detroit Lions Tracy Walker  S Louisiana Sun Belt  
  3 83 Baltimore Ravens Orlando Brown  OT Oklahoma Big 12  
  3 84 Los Angeles Chargers Justin Jones  DT NC State ACC  
  3 85 Carolina Panthers Rashaan Gaulden  CB Tennessee SEC from Buffalo [R3 - 11]

Archived