The Jets should do right by Todd Bowles and fire him now

GreenWhite

The Jets should do right by Todd Bowles and fire him now

December 3, 2018 | 6:11pm

Modal Trigger
Todd Bowles
Todd BowlesBill Kostroun

Todd Bowles deserves better than this.

OK, Jets fans, look: Before you grab the pitchforks and the torches and ask if I’ve lost my mind, this has nothing to do with his ultimate fate. Bowles will be fired, and he deserves to be fired. His team remains a self-sabotaging mess and every week we hear the same laments and the same excuses. Bowles will lose his job, and he will lose it on merit. There is no debating that.

But he deserves better than what he’s going to get across the next four weeks. Bowles has been brutal as the Jets head coach, but he has been nothing but dignified in the job. He has suffered and bled in the name of building something here; the fact he’s failed at it takes none of that away.

So why put him through the next four weeks? Why put his team through this?

Working a losing locker room is never a fun thing, but the Jets’ room has become increasingly excruciating as this season has progressed because Bowles’ players — to their credit and to his — fall over themselves trying to take the burden of blunders off his shoulders and lug it onto theirs.

The Jets lack many things. Accountability is not one of them. Now, we can be cynical about this and say, with a laugh, “Well, they’ve had a lot of practice at it, they should be good at it” and, well, that is true. It is also true that this is the flip side of the very thing for which David Fizdale has been praised with the Knicks — in this column and elsewhere.

Fizdale’s greatest strength, as we have discussed, is that he clearly and thoroughly connects with his players. In turn, they play hard for him. To date, they have willingly fulfilled their roles for him. And we have seen the great affection the Knicks have for him. Now, in Year 1 of a massive rebuild, when every victory is treated as a parade-worthy accomplishment, a coach can survive — thrive even — on those splendid relationships.

In Year 4, however, after a stretch of 45 games in which his team is 13-32, that isn’t nearly enough. The evidence that his players really do like Bowles, and like playing for him, is overwhelmed by the fact that their affinity doesn’t travel. It doesn’t translate. It may kill the Jets to their souls that they haven’t performed for Bowles, but the numbers, and the results, don’t lie.

And so up and down the room goes the question, every week, in some form or fashion: “Are the coaches doing enough to help you guys win?”

And up and down, to a man, comes the answer: “It’s on us, not them.”

Kudos for their loyalty, but it’s not going to change anything. Bowles is going to be fired as soon as the season is over. So what is the value in letting him twist in the wind this way? Especially since the Packers — a team with a lot better track record than the Jets over the past, oh, quarter-century or so — had no problem firing Mike McCarthy after their latest flameout at home Sunday against woeful Arizona.

The Packers, at least, still had a ghost of a chance of making the playoffs until the Cardinals celebrated their third win of the year on the Lambeau Field turf and forced them to give up that ghost. The instant the Packers went from trouble to nowhere, McCarthy was gone. Why string this out? His time had ended, his course was run. Move on and move out.

A popular theory is that there’s nobody competent enough on Bowles’ staff to take over the interim duties. And look, if it’s clear that this isn’t the Parcells-Belichick-Coughlin Giants staff of the early-’90s, there has to be someone who can give it a go for a month. The Packers picked Joe Philbin, who suggested on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” he was a goofball lightweight before he ever coached a game in Miami and proved he was a goofball lightweight.

McCarthy was spared a month of misery. And, yes, he is an accomplished coach with a Super Bowl on his résumé, far more successful than Bowles. But is that a good enough reason for the Jets to let Bowles twist in the wind — and force his players to stand up and take his shots week after week for the next four weeks?

Bowles deserves better than that.

Jeez, everyone deserves better than that.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Just now, jetscrazey said:

There are no assistants good enough to step in.  I think that's part of the problem.

Asst head coach Mike Caldwell is interim head coach 

Dline coach Robert Nunn coordinates the defense. He's been in the league 19 years I hope he can call 4 games lol

Fire bates and let Dennison run the offense 

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Todd Blowes should do right by Jets fans and step down now...

Why?  Keeping him on actually helps the team get a higher draft pick.  He is actually doing this team a favor by staying on.  Let's be realistic, after the season, the whole coaching team is gone.  Many of the players are gone.  The goal now should be to try and get the highest draft pick.  We need weapons that Sam can throw to and an O-line that can keep him upright.  Make no mistake, Bowles needs to go, but Macc needs to go too.  

7 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Why?  Keeping him on actually helps the team get a higher draft pick.  He is actually doing this team a favor by staying on.  Let's be realistic, after the season, the whole coaching team is gone.  Many of the players are gone.  The goal now should be to try and get the highest draft pick.  We need weapons and a ******* O-line that can protect Sam

If they were leaving McCown in for the remainder... I would agree with you. 

But the plan seems to be to reinsert Darnold this week.  Thus... get Blowes and his gutless brand of ball, and his "white flag" 4th quarter punting away from him. 

If your dog got run over by a car and is laying in the street half dead and dying for sure you don’t keep him alive for another day so all the kids can come and say goodbye. You do the right thing - shoot him in the head with your 38 and tell the kids he ran away. In other words - put Bowles out of his misery now!

38 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

But the plan seems to be to reinsert Darnold this week.  Thus... get Blowes and his gutless brand of ball, and his "white flag" 4th quarter punting away from him. 

True, but you learn the most from the bad bosses, or in this case the bad coaches, that you have.  Sam is learning a great deal by being on this dysfunctional team (he is learning what wrong looks like).  It's easy to be on a winning team, but to lose like the Jets do will help Darnold build a resiliency that will help him down the road.  A couple of years from now he will be able to draw even greater strength from having gone through this, assuming the Johnson's hire a competent replacement for both Bowles and Macc.  If of course the Johnson's don't hire competent replacements, disregard everything I said, because at that point Sam is screwed.

24 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If your dog got run over by a car and is laying in the street half dead and dying for sure you don’t keep him alive for another day so all the kids can come and say goodbye. You do the right thing - shoot him in the head with your 38 and tell the kids he ran away. In other words - put Bowles out of his misery now!

I have no idea what the hell your trying to say but I’m happy we dont  live in same neighborhood.

37 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Where are you getting that? Bowles has refused to say he will start. It is clear he does not want Darnold to start. A decent performance by Darnold seals Bowles fate

I think I agree with the sentiment that keeping Bowles on the payroll is bad news for Mike Maccagnan because there is no way Chris Johnson could pull Todd into an office and fire him today without knowing what he was going to do with Macc. The classy thing to do would be to take Todd to the side, tell him you’re going to make the change, and give him a choice between leaving now or at the end of the year. But, how do you do that and justify keeping Maccagnan? 

This is exactly what I am afraid of. Todd Bowles is the perfect coach to ensure that we lose the remaining 4 games and get a top pick, maybe even first overall. 
Someone else made a good point in another thread. They said three out of the passed 4 years we drafted in the top 10 2 just outside of top 5 and 1 at 3. These high picks did not equate to wins because the draft is a crapshoot and often the guy picked number 1 overall doesn't become the best player

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

47 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Someone else made a good point in another thread. They said three out of the passed 4 years we drafted in the top 10 2 just outside of top 5 and 1 at 3. These high picks did not equate to wins because the draft is a crapshoot and often the guy picked number 1 overall doesn't become the best player

When you have a top 3 pick chances are you are going to find a very good player. Last year we got Darnold with the 3rd pick. There is a big difference between picking top 3 and picking 6 to 10. It also means picking at the top of every other round also. It matters. 

When you have a top 3 pick chances are you are going to find a very good player. Last year we got Darnold with the 3rd pick. There is a big difference between picking top 3 and picking 6 to 10. It also means picking at the top of every other round also. It matters. 
Than how do teams who constantly draft at the back end of the draft manage to continue to be successful and vice versa?

53 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Than how do teams who constantly draft at the back end of the draft manage to continue to be successful and vice versa?

Because they have better owners, better management, better scouts and better coaching. They are able to overcome picking at the back end. The Jets are challenged in every one of those categories and It's still better for them to be picking top 3 to have a chance to field a better roster. 

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Mike Vick approves this post ? 

Archived