Official Countdown Till Jets Fire Maccagnan and Bowles

playtowinthegame

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yes but how many days until the Johnson's put the executive consultants on retainer again?

good point.  woody/chris should have been looking into new coaches at least two games ago and possibly even considering a new gm.  the truth/assessment is going to hurt at all levels unless he hires casserly again.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good point.  woody/chris should have been looking into new coaches at least two games ago and possibly even considering a new gm.  the truth/assessment is going to hurt at all levels unless he hires casserly again.

firing Bowles early costs money

hiring executive consultants costs more money 

hiring Bowles replacement costs even more money.

Jon Gruden just got 100 million dollars that's the state of the HC market.

the Johnsons don't have the stomach for any of this 

the TV checks are the same, win, lose or draw 

What's the worst that could happen, they suck again and the fans abandon the team? That's basically been the status quo since 2013. 

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

No need for consultation here, they have a GM to hire a new coach.  ?

both the HC and GM report directly to ownership

mac doesn't have the juice to hire a new coach 

and Christoph doesn't have the ATM code to pay for one 

At some point Woodrow and Christoph are going to talk about this issue, firing the coach, for real. They are going to do a cost vs benefit analysis what are all the costs and what are the benefits.

The reality is the owners don't get any financial benefits from winning vs losing. which explains every decision they've made since Herman Edwards. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

At some point Woodrow and Christoph are going to talk about this issue, firing the coach, for real. They are going to do a cost vs benefit analysis what are all the costs and what are the benefits.

The reality is the owners don't get any financial benefits from winning vs losing. which explains every decision they've made since Herman Edwards. 

Yep, that's why Woody spend millions trying to get the WWS approved.   It was about prestige, not money

The HC is a spoob no doubt, but to be fair, he does have the worst roster maybe in NFL history under him assembled by the GM who is also a major spoob. Both must be replaced. There is no other way, otherwise we are the hamster running in the metal circle forever getting nowhere,

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep, that's why Woody spend millions trying to get the WWS approved.   It was about prestige, not money

it was also about real estate, the air rights over the platform etc.  It wasn't about winning football games that's for sure 

People are going to be disappointed because I don't think Maccagnan is going
anywhere.  His drafting hasn't been good but I believe the way he attacked
the QB position last year and lucked into Darnold will save him.  Add in a 
couple of other factors:

- Chris Johnson is a "newbie" owner so I don't think he's going to be comfortable
doing a GM and a HC search

- Maccagnan hasn't done a good job but I believe the 3-9 record lays more at the
feet of Bowles.  This team should be 7-5 or 6-6 at worst if the coaching staff
was decent:
 * CLE 
 * Second MIA game
 * BUF
 * TEN
The roster isn't elite but you mean the coaching staff had nothing in their "bag
of tricks" to get the team home against average competition?  It's not like we
were playing KC, NE, PIT or LA

I don't see how even the most disconnected owner wouldn't see that firing Mac along with Bowles is a necessity.  They should be viewed as a package deal, joined at the hip by a poorly constructed and coached team.  The team is getting new uniforms in 2019 and a new front office and coach can further sell this "fresh new start" theme.  

Let's face it, all the planets are aligned to nudge the owner towards cleaning house.  Fingers crossed that the Johnson's are paying attention.

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

couple of other factors:

- Chris Johnson is a "newbie" owner so I don't think he's going to be comfortable

- Maccagnan hasn't done a good job but I believe the 3-9 record lays more at the
was decent:
 * CLE 
 * Second MIA game
 * BUF
 * TEN
The roster isn't elite but you mean the coaching staff had nothing in their "bag

Agreed. One of the few reasonable posters on here. Macc isn't getting fired. However, the entire coaching staff is a dumpster fire. In many walks of life leadership (immediate) is responsible for growing personnel and putting them in positions to succeed. I have never seen that with this coaching staff, usually the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

firing Bowles early costs money

hiring executive consultants costs more money 

hiring Bowles replacement costs even more money.

Jon Gruden just got 100 million dollars that's the state of the HC market.

the Johnsons don't have the stomach for any of this 

the TV checks are the same, win, lose or draw 

What's the worst that could happen, they suck again and the fans abandon the team? That's basically been the status quo since 2013. 

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This money angle is important to you.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Only 25 days and 4 games of misery left. Can't wait to start over fresh in 2019. New GM, new head coach, top 3 pick, 2nd most cap space in NFL, and new unifirms.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals. 

?  It's beginning to look a lot like Sh!tmas!  ?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

couple of other factors:

was decent:
 * CLE 
 * Second MIA game
 * BUF
 * TEN

This is not a 7-5 or 6-6 roster.  I'd say 4-8 or 5-7 is fair, but that's about it.  And if we're good with a 5-7 team four years into Macc's tenure, we need to seriously raise our expectations. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is not a 7-5 or 6-6 roster.  I'd say 4-8 or 5-7 is fair, but that's about it.  And if we're good with a 5-7 team four years into Macc's tenure, we need to seriously raise our expectations. 

It's not about some "roster rating", a good staff would have this team at 7-5 or 6-6

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

It's not about some "roster rating", a good staff would have this team at 7-5 or 6-6

No, they wouldn't.  A "good staff" can't scheme around no receivers, a bad o-line, no pass rush and bad corners.  They can't turn a bottom 5 roster into an above .500 record. 

Bowles sucks, but the roster sucks too.  This argument that all Macc needs is a good HC is absurd.  They're both to blame for being 5-11 the last 2 seasons and 3-9 this season. 

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Only 25 days and 4 games of misery left. Can't wait to start over fresh in 2019. New GM, new head coach, top 3 pick, 2nd most cap space in NFL, and new unifirms.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals. 

Yes because firing the GM every 3 years always works out!! 

I also totally trust our dipsh$t owners to pick the next genius Director of Pro Scouting and that guy will just be instant plug and play drafting gold!!

Just now, Reynolds1029 said:

Its been 4 years this time around, and the roster is garbage.  Are you seriously advocating keeping the status quo just so we can have "continuity"?  Come on.

Maybe the next GM will suck too.  But its better to fire the crappy one you have now and worry about that later than keep a crappy one around.  Especially since this time around, you'd be asking said crappy GM to have a say in who the next HC is. 

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Dear Pollyanna,

The Jets got smoked by the Bills at MetLife led by a quarterback who was on the couch the week before. A 40 BURGER WAS DROPPED ON US BY MATT BARKLEY. This Jets roster is one of the weakest in the NFL, if not the weakest. Not even Bill Belichick would have this team 6-6 let alone 7-5. Mike Maccagan is the ROOT of the Jets problems. He needs to go or the Jets are not serious about winning.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Lol at the thought that the Johnsons even know what a cost benefit analysis is. These trust fund losers couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone a real business.

6 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

I also totally trust our dipsh$t owners to pick the next genius Director of Pro Scouting and that guy will just be instant plug and play drafting gold!!

So your solution is to keep on spinning our wheels in the mud with Mac. It's pretty obvious the Jets are not making progress with Mac as the architect. Lucking into Darnold isn't enough to save his job, but I'm sure that's how he and his supporters/apologists feel.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

yes but how many days until the Johnson's put the executive consultants on retainer again?

Is there a better way for Mr. Johnson to select his GM?

Of all the things I can fault Woody for, how he leaned on experienced Football people to help him is not one.

Didn't work out, but the idea was a good one.

How do you think he should hire the next GM Bit?

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Lol at the thought that the Johnsons even know what a cost benefit analysis is. These trust fund losers couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone a real business.

Yes, they don't understand money.  Yet the team has increased in value from the $635M they paid for it to $2.85B.  I am quite sure they don't understand finances at all.  

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bowles most definitely deserves to be fired, but this is absolutely absurd on so many levels.  The Jets roster is an absolute mess from top-to-bottom, and your argument is that this is totally fine?  You think it is reasonable to expect a team to win solely on the back of what would ultimately need to be vastly superior coaching to all of their opposition?

Maccagnan has failed at his job absolutely miserably.  What is not the solution to that is having him keeping his job, with the sole expectation for future success being that they find a coach who can constantly win with whatever pile of hot garbage that he's given.

It's a very convenient narrative to suggest any of this season's positives would have been identical under any circumstances (despite being underdogs in their 2 blowout wins), while all negatives being strictly based on coaching (a list which even includes a game where the entire team was dominated).  I think the severe lack of talent on this team might have a little something to do with some of this season's issues too.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its been 4 years this time around, and the roster is garbage.  Are you seriously advocating keeping the status quo just so we can have "continuity"?  Come on.

Maybe the next GM will suck too.  But its better to fire the crappy one you have now and worry about that later than keep a crappy one around.  Especially since this time around, you'd be asking said crappy GM to have a say in who the next HC is. 

What no one seems to care about is that a GM can't coach the players. Week in and week out we see plays CONSISTENTLY underperforming. We have seen flashes of great play from this team all to be ruined by some dumb mental error or just some player saying fu@k it and packing it in. 

Todd Bowles has been the problem, Macc's drafts have been very average which I'm fine with since this was his first time as a GM. 

It's like everyone here expects every pick to be the next HOF player no matter who the GM is. But in reality every GM misses and the ones who miss a lot get fired. I wouldn't say Macc misses so much (John Idzik level) that he deserves to be fired. 

He made ONE horrible pick in Hack. Which if you look at the bigger picture it really was not even that terrible. If I was Macc and worked with Bill O'Brien and scouted Hack in his freshman year I'd be worried Bill would pick him in the 3rd round like the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins. He took a risk on a guy who he thought could be coached into being a successful QB.

I'm honestly more mad at Bowles for never playing him in at least ONE game. I don't care how bad Todd thought he was, the guy being a second round pick deserved just ONE game. Even if it's bad like Nathan Peterman at least you know. 

Overall, this roster is better than the pile of sh!t he started with. I really think with a good coach this team would be in playoff contention. 

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So your solution is to keep on spinning our wheels in the mud with Mac. It's pretty obvious the Jets are not making progress with Mac as the architect. Lucking into Darnold isn't enough to save his job, but I'm sure that's how he and his supporters/apologists feel.

I'm not his supporter or anyone's. Nor am I going to be an apologist for a millionaire GM. I don't know the guy nor do I care to. But looking at the roster and this team playing it's clear to me that coaching is the biggest problem with this team not the talent. You can have all the talent in the world but you can't overcome poor coaching. 

7 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

What no one seems to care about is that a GM can't coach the players. Week in and week out we see plays CONSISTENTLY underperforming. We have seen flashes of great play from this team all to be ruined by some dumb mental error or just some player saying fu@k it and packing it in. 

Todd Bowles has been the problem, Macc's drafts have been very average which I'm fine with since this was his first time as a GM. 

It's like everyone here expects every pick to be the next HOF player no matter who the GM is. But in reality every GM misses and the ones who miss a lot get fired. I wouldn't say Macc misses so much (John Idzik level) that he deserves to be fired. 

He made ONE horrible pick in Hack. Which if you look at the bigger picture it really was not even that terrible. If I was Macc and worked with Bill O'Brien and scouted Hack in his freshman year I'd be worried Bill would pick him in the 3rd round like the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins. He took a risk on a guy who he thought could be coached into being a successful QB.

I'm honestly more mad at Bowles for never playing him in at least ONE game. I don't care how bad Todd thought he was, the guy being a second round pick deserved just ONE game. Even if it's bad like Nathan Peterman at least you know. 

Overall, this roster is better than the pile of sh!t he started with. I really think with a good coach this team would be in playoff contention. 

Come on.

I held out hope for Mac and supported him the last few years when the tide started turning against him. “2015 he went all in” and “give his draft picks time to develop” ..but not anymore.

its not about Hackenberg or one bad pick. It’s his collective body of work. His FA signings mostly haven’t planned out, his drafts have been awful aside from round 1..and while you can blame player development on the coaching staff it’s not as if our failed picks are getting second chances or redeeming themselves with other organizations.

Yes, Bowles blows. But this roster is unacceptable.

Archived