Sign in to follow this  
drsamuel84

Trade for Bortles?

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, jbt said:

hope this is a joke

I don't know why you are so quick to poo-poo the idea. I like it & I think he only has 2 years left on the contract (I don't the details of it, like if we can get out early without a big cap hit). For a 2nd rounder, it's a good idea.

8 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I saw this posted on twitter so I can't take credit for the idea but we obviously have a ton of cap space this off season and probably won't be able to spend it all wisely so why not make a similar trade that the Browns made with Osweiler and take that contract off their hands for possibly a 2nd and 6th rd pick?  With all the cap space it should not hinder us for signing any of out targets and may even hinder us from making a bad shortsighted deal in an effort to spend money.  And while Bortles is obviously not a starter in this league he would give us a decent option at backup, we don't need a mentor as a backup QB that's what coaches are for.  It's an outside the box thought that actually makes some sense especially considering with JAX record it'll be a decent 2nd rd. pick.

I’ve been saying that we need to exchange Cap space for picks for a while now. Free Agency is terrible this year and that’s the trend now that teams can afford to retain so many players. We need draft capital above all else. 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think getting fleeced by John Idzik for the rights to Blake Bortles would be an excellent denouement to the Mike Maccagnan Era

pretty much..

🙄

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

If what you mean by trade, you mean we get a pick to take him, than maybe. Otherwise, no way.

That’s exactly what he said. Like the Osweiller trade. NO ONE would trade picks to acquire Bortles and his terrible contract.

There's something in the water around here lately.  I think our minds have been poisoned in recent weeks.  We've got people trading for Blake Bortles and hiring Mike McCarthy.  We should bring Revis back too....but only pay him $11M per year.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

I saw this posted on twitter so I can't take credit for the idea but we obviously have a ton of cap space this off season and probably won't be able to spend it all wisely so why not make a similar trade that the Browns made with Osweiler and take that contract off their hands for possibly a 2nd and 6th rd pick?  With all the cap space it should not hinder us for signing any of out targets and may even hinder us from making a bad shortsighted deal in an effort to spend money.  And while Bortles is obviously not a starter in this league he would give us a decent option at backup, we don't need a mentor as a backup QB that's what coaches are for.  It's an outside the box thought that actually makes some sense especially considering with JAX record it'll be a decent 2nd rd. pick.

I would do that if we cut Bortles right away to prevent him ever seeing the field for us(that is if the money cannot be spent wisely anywhere else), but all BS aside he probably could be a decent wildcat QA on some of those plays since he runs well, though does nothing else well, unless he is playing us of course.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Many people will blast this concept just because of the QB.  I do not think mac will consider it because he needs to improve the team with his spending.  But, I think it would be worth looking into for the following reasons.

We are going to have a ton of money but will have a tough time spending it all as the Jets are not a desirable location.  Any really good FA's will have a dozen teams after them.  Mac will feel pressure to actually spend the money so he will either overpay for medium fas from other teams or just as bad grossly overpay some of our own fa's.

I would rather spend cap money on getting more draft picks as you suggest than overpay robbie anderson, leo, or enunwa.  Or some other teams jags.

Exactly my point, everyone seems to be getting too caught up in the name but we're not trading for him to be our savior and starting QB we'd essentially be trading $20m in cap space for picks and a backup QB.  And given the fact we have $100mm in cap space this doesn't and shouldn't effect any of our free agent spending

3 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Exactly my point, everyone seems to be getting too caught up in the name but we're not trading or him to be our savior and starting QB we'd essentially be trading $20m in cap space for picks and a backup QB.  And given the fact we have $100mm in cap space this doesn't and shouldn't effect any of our free agent spending

It's not a crazy idea. Jags pick is high. We'd have our high 1st, high 2nd, two 3rds (1 high), 2 4s, both high. A good draft could kick azz! 

5 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Do whatever you have to do, just don't have Bortles on the team Opening Day.  Darnold doesn't need a QB controversy next year under his new coach.

If Blake Bortles were a serious contender to the job, I think we'd be have a lot more to worry about regarding Darnold than any damage a "controversy" would cause to his psyche.