Trade for Bortles?

drsamuel84

I saw this posted on twitter so I can't take credit for the idea but we obviously have a ton of cap space this off season and probably won't be able to spend it all wisely so why not make a similar trade that the Browns made with Osweiler and take that contract off their hands for possibly a 2nd and 6th rd pick?  With all the cap space it should not hinder us for signing any of out targets and may even hinder us from making a bad shortsighted deal in an effort to spend money.  And while Bortles is obviously not a starter in this league he would give us a decent option at backup, we don't need a mentor as a backup QB that's what coaches are for.  It's an outside the box thought that actually makes some sense especially considering with JAX record it'll be a decent 2nd rd. pick.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jbt said:

hope this is a joke

I don't know why you are so quick to poo-poo the idea. I like it & I think he only has 2 years left on the contract (I don't the details of it, like if we can get out early without a big cap hit). For a 2nd rounder, it's a good idea.

Many people will blast this concept just because of the QB.  I do not think mac will consider it because he needs to improve the team with his spending.  But, I think it would be worth looking into for the following reasons.

We are going to have a ton of money but will have a tough time spending it all as the Jets are not a desirable location.  Any really good FA's will have a dozen teams after them.  Mac will feel pressure to actually spend the money so he will either overpay for medium fas from other teams or just as bad grossly overpay some of our own fa's.

I would rather spend cap money on getting more draft picks as you suggest than overpay robbie anderson, leo, or enunwa.  Or some other teams jags.

8 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I saw this posted on twitter so I can't take credit for the idea but we obviously have a ton of cap space this off season and probably won't be able to spend it all wisely so why not make a similar trade that the Browns made with Osweiler and take that contract off their hands for possibly a 2nd and 6th rd pick?  With all the cap space it should not hinder us for signing any of out targets and may even hinder us from making a bad shortsighted deal in an effort to spend money.  And while Bortles is obviously not a starter in this league he would give us a decent option at backup, we don't need a mentor as a backup QB that's what coaches are for.  It's an outside the box thought that actually makes some sense especially considering with JAX record it'll be a decent 2nd rd. pick.

I’ve been saying that we need to exchange Cap space for picks for a while now. Free Agency is terrible this year and that’s the trend now that teams can afford to retain so many players. We need draft capital above all else. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Many people will blast this concept just because of the QB.  I do not think mac will consider it because he needs to improve the team with his spending.  But, I think it would be worth looking into for the following reasons.

We are going to have a ton of money but will have a tough time spending it all as the Jets are not a desirable location.  Any really good FA's will have a dozen teams after them.  Mac will feel pressure to actually spend the money so he will either overpay for medium fas from other teams or just as bad grossly overpay some of our own fa's.

I would rather spend cap money on getting more draft picks as you suggest than overpay robbie anderson, leo, or enunwa.  Or some other teams jags.

AGREED!!! Well this fan base is full of short sighted people. It has nothing to do with wanting the QB and maybe to get use out of the contract, you keep him as backup until he can be cut with no penalty. I’ll repeat IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QB.

This is just a move to eat/absorb a bad contract regardless of who that player is, in exchange for draft picks. It makes so much sense (depending on the picks. At least 2nd rounder this year). We can’t spend our money even if we wanted to. Resigning our own will be cheaper or limited with how poor everyone has been and besides mid level pass rushers and Bell, there aren’t any free agents worth a damn. Not even 1 on the o-line that will be under 30 enough to be part of the team for a few years.

This makes TOTAL SENSE. Open your eyes people. 

58 minutes ago, jbt said:

hope this is a joke

54 minutes ago, genot said:

012-the-sopranos-theredlist.jpg

52 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

WTF is this guy smoking? Meth?

51 minutes ago, King P said:

tenor.gif

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's something in the water around here lately.  I think our minds have been poisoned in recent weeks.  We've got people trading for Blake Bortles and hiring Mike McCarthy.  We should bring Revis back too....but only pay him $11M per year.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Trade for Bortles.   Great idea?!?!?

Oh wait...

Maybe they should have just kept Bridgewater...?

decisions... decisions...

Sometimes I believe that a handful of JN members could run this organization better than what we have been seeing.

And then a post like this... 

None of you read the OP correctly.

We would receive Bortles AND receive a draft pick(s) for the service of taking on his contract. 

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

I would do that if we cut Bortles right away to prevent him ever seeing the field for us(that is if the money cannot be spent wisely anywhere else), but all BS aside he probably could be a decent wildcat QA on some of those plays since he runs well, though does nothing else well, unless he is playing us of course.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Exactly my point, everyone seems to be getting too caught up in the name but we're not trading for him to be our savior and starting QB we'd essentially be trading $20m in cap space for picks and a backup QB.  And given the fact we have $100mm in cap space this doesn't and shouldn't effect any of our free agent spending

3 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Exactly my point, everyone seems to be getting too caught up in the name but we're not trading or him to be our savior and starting QB we'd essentially be trading $20m in cap space for picks and a backup QB.  And given the fact we have $100mm in cap space this doesn't and shouldn't effect any of our free agent spending

It's not a crazy idea. Jags pick is high. We'd have our high 1st, high 2nd, two 3rds (1 high), 2 4s, both high. A good draft could kick azz! 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of you read the OP correctly.

We would receive Bortles AND receive a draft pick(s) for the service of taking on his contract. 

I'm gonna be honest with you.

I saw the Trade For Bortles and the rest...

latest?cb=20131221225502

5 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Do whatever you have to do, just don't have Bortles on the team Opening Day.  Darnold doesn't need a QB controversy next year under his new coach.

If Blake Bortles were a serious contender to the job, I think we'd be have a lot more to worry about regarding Darnold than any damage a "controversy" would cause to his psyche.

Blake Bortles C’mon man. The Jets have so many holes and it would have been nice to see what we have with Webb but our fearful leader decided to trot McCown out there so I guess will never know if Webb would be a legitimate back up for Darnold. 

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

How bigs the contract?  We paid Fits 12 mil, McCown 12 mil???   Pay Bortles as a backup, get a 2nd and a 6th?

Hmmm.....  I dont like it at first but I see the logic, I suppose.

Can't we just sign HACK as a backup?  Joking.  

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Blake Bortles C’mon man. The Jets have so many holes and it would have been nice to see what we have with Webb but our fearful leader decided to trot McCown out there so I guess will never know if Webb would be a legitimate back up for Darnold. 

Webb?  Who?

Oh, the 19th QB we have signed in last 5 years that will never see the field. :)

28 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Exactly my point, everyone seems to be getting too caught up in the name but we're not trading for him to be our savior and starting QB we'd essentially be trading $20m in cap space for picks and a backup QB.  And given the fact we have $100mm in cap space this doesn't and shouldn't effect any of our free agent spending

I actually thinks it a pretty good idea if you can get a 2nd and a late round pick. We need to stock up in talent, recoup the pick we lost from the Darnold trade and like some posters have said before, Spending all that money in one offseason on FA seems like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Archived