Trade for Bortles?

drsamuel84

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Blake Bortles C’mon man. The Jets have so many holes and it would have been nice to see what we have with Webb but our fearful leader decided to trot McCown out there so I guess will never know if Webb would be a legitimate back up for Darnold. 

In the proposed idea, it’s draft picks for cap space Blake bortles is insignificant, you can cut him as soon as you get him ( which I wouldn’t, I probably keep him as a back up depending on personality) the trade is for his contract against the jets cap. Not the actual player necessarily 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There's something in the water around here lately.  I think our minds have been poisoned in recent weeks.  We've got people trading for Blake Bortles and hiring Mike McCarthy.  We should bring Revis back too....but only pay him $11M per year.

We are trading for a contract not bortles, like cleveland did with oswieler.  Jax is going to give us picks to take the contract.  We can stuff bortles wherever we want for a year or two.

Instead, mac will over pay sh*tty FA's or overpay out pwn sh*tty players.

It's a  very valid thought imo.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

WTF is this guy smoking? Meth?

Replies like this show you who was a lazy bitch and didn't read the post. 

I'll gladly take that cromag on if we can get a 2nd rounder out of JAX. You never know when you might need a 2-3 game starter. 

Hopefully the new regime can take a long look at this idea and make a clear and intelligent decision. 

As time goes by I don't think Mac is going to be spared when the bloodshed begins....if Bowles is a sh*tty chef Mac is the guy who bought the groceries. Too many below average-poor draft picks and too few free agent hits. 

He should be fired just for signing Trumaine Johnson...there is something wrong with that guy

Better idea,  let’s trade for Barkley and Sanchez so we can have 3 USC qbs.

why in the world would we want Blake bottles. We had him in Hack. I get the idea of paying for a pick but not in this case. 

i just dont want bortles in the same lockeroom as Sam. 

I like this idea. We need a backup QB. Bottles is a good backup QB. The 2nd round pick could go a long way in solidifying our offense.

This idea is not much different than what we did with Teddy. We will basically be buying another day 2 pick.

Id do this and trade back a few slots in the first to pick up some more day 2 picks. We can end up with the 10th pick let’s say and then have 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks. 

59 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

How bigs the contract?  We paid Fits 12 mil, McCown 12 mil???   Pay Bortles as a backup, get a 2nd and a 6th?

Hmmm.....  I dont like it at first but I see the logic, I suppose.

Can't we just sign HACK as a backup?  Joking.  

Its around $20mm for 2019 but he can be cut in 2020 for something like an $6mm hit I believe.

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We are trading for a contract not bortles, like cleveland did with oswieler.  Jax is going to give us picks to take the contract.  We can stuff bortles wherever we want for a year or two.

Instead, mac will over pay sh*tty FA's or overpay out pwn sh*tty players.

It's a  very valid thought imo.

Agreed.  I would want more than a 2nd and a 6th however.  Maybe a 2nd and a 4th.  It’s not a terrible concept at all.  

23 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Its around $20mm for 2019 but he can be cut in 2020 for something like an $6mm hit I believe.

Even better, he can be cut in training camp next year and we’d be on the hook for $11.5M (post June first cut) in dead money. Wait a year and it’s only $5M. 

The Jags are 7M above the cap. Trading him helps them get back in the Black. 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Blake Bortles C’mon man. The Jets have so many holes and it would have been nice to see what we have with Webb but our fearful leader decided to trot McCown out there so I guess will never know if Webb would be a legitimate back up for Darnold. 

Did you completely miss the part about ONLY doing it for taking on a bad contract in exchange for draft picks? No one actually “wants” Black Bortles for any reason. 

27 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Amazing how many people post based on the headline alone and without reading the OP.

Hello? This is a good idea. It's basically paying money for a 2nd round draft pick, if that's what the Jags are willing to give up. The Jets can just release Bortles after the trade.

I’m shocked at how few people actually read the post or how many don’t understand at all the concept of taking on a bad contract and RECEIVING draft picks to do it like with the Osweiller trade. Wow.....

35 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Amazing how many people post based on the headline alone and without reading the OP.

Hello? This is a good idea. It's basically paying money for a 2nd round draft pick, if that's what the Jags are willing to give up. The Jets can just release Bortles after the trade.

Dude ..we are NYers.  Headline people, not scholars. :)

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  I would want more than a 2nd and a 6th however.  Maybe a 2nd and a 4th.  It’s not a terrible concept at all.  

He only has $6.5M guaranteed left on his deal. Even a second-rounder alone would be a lot for that. 

10 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Did you completely miss the part about ONLY doing it for taking on a bad contract in exchange for draft picks? No one actually “wants” Black Bortles for any reason. 

Do you think they would offer a 2nd rd pick to pick up his contract? Is that really on the table or just speculation.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of you read the OP correctly.

We would receive Bortles AND receive a draft pick(s) for the service of taking on his contract. 

I deleted my snide remark.   Admittedly, never really read it in full.  Just assumed the worst.

A mistake I have made before.  Apologies to @drsamuel84

Cleveland did the same thing 2 years ago.  They traded a 4th to Houston for Oswelier, a 2nd round pick and a 6th rounder.  Basically buying a 2nd round pick for the cost of Osweiler's contract.  Cleveland used the 2 from Houston to take Nick Chubb.  Seems to be working out pretty well for them.

But for just $6.5MM cap savings for the Jags, it will never happen.

12 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Do you think they would offer a 2nd rd pick to pick up his contract? Is that really on the table or just speculation.

This is all speculating. The OP suggested it like with the Osweiller trade. The Texans paid a 2nd round pick to dump him and it’s a similar contract. It’s something that a smart GM would inquire about and a good idea which was the purpose of this thread. The purpose wasn’t “we should trade for Blake Bortles because he’s good”. 

Think the realisticness boils down to how desperate are the Jags to make cap space and how good do they think the Team is with a different Qb. 

On the Jets side, i think it’s a no brainer to take draft assets for a contract that really isn’t that bad and we can eat dead money. However, i think there is basically no way the Jets do this because Mac is in job preservation mode to a degree and would rather try to pick up a juicy veteran corner or something. 

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I see.  So what is their actual cap savings by trading him?  Won’t there still be a bunch of dead cap still remaining for Jax? 

Yes, about $10M. So the question is, what would they give up to clear the extra $6.5M they'd be on the hook for if they just cut him? I wouldn't think much. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Yes, about $10M. So the question is, what would they give up to clear the extra $6.5M they'd be on the hook for if they just cut him? I wouldn't think much. 

Good to know the actual numbers. I was just speculating as well without knowing concrete numbers. If they are still on the hook for a decent amount either way it and it lessens how much we’d be hit with, then the draft compensation wouldn’t have to be as steep.

It may not be worth it for them though. I’d be interested to know all the numbers in that scenario. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Oh, so there really isn’t that much of an incentive for Jax to do this.  This is all moot then.  

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s exactly what he said. Like the Osweiller trade. NO ONE would trade picks to acquire Bortles and his terrible contract.

Good grief no.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of you read the OP correctly.

We would receive Bortles AND receive a draft pick(s) for the service of taking on his contract. 

People in general seem to see what they want to see and don't actually read things closely.

36 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Even better, he can be cut in training camp next year and we’d be on the hook for $11.5M (post June first cut) in dead money. Wait a year and it’s only $5M. 

The Jags are 7M above the cap. Trading him helps them get back in the Black. 

This is an excellent post.

The funny thing is I don't think the Jags do this deal. It won't save them much money and I doubt they give up that high a pick just to rid themselves of Bortles. Now if they want our 1st round pick I would be interested. Say their first rounder and their 2nd round pick this year and a second in 2020 sounds about right. I would do that in a heartbeat. A chance to get those 2nd's back from the Darnold trade would make me extremely happy.

Archived