You're in the interview room. What is the most important question to ask a potential coaching candidate?

jetstream23

It's Monday, December 31, 2018.  Todd Bowles was fired last night as he got off the plane from New England.  You're now in the interview room as the Jets parade a bunch of young, hotshot Offensive Coordinators, college coaches and NFL re-treads to audition for the Jets Head Coach job.  You get one question to ask.  Go!

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Rank these positions in order of importance.  Answer correctly, and you can not only coach the team, but be the GM as well:

* Box Safety

* QB

* Additional Safety

* Left Tackle

* Tiny Linebacker

* Corner

* Pass Rusher

* Run-Stopping Interior D-Lineman

* Punter

* Backup Veteran QB

lulz!!!

Where is the Backup Safety?

• Upvote 1

Just now, KRL said:

Here are a few:

1. What's your detailed plan to move Sam Darnold to the next level?

2. Are you "married" to an offensive scheme or are you flexible based
on your personnel?

3. What's your view on college concepts being integrated into pro
offenses? 

4. Who are you bringing in on your offensive staff? 

5. What's your opinion on Leonard Williams? 

6. What defense are you going to run and who are you bringing in
on your staff?

7. What personnel improvements must you have on offense & defense?

HE SAID ONE QUESTION KRL.  ONE.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Tell me what makes you a winner.  

I don't give a rat's a$$ about strategies or plans. There are hundreds of ways to skin a cat. I want to know the guy's (or gal's) personal characteristics and confidence. This is not really a job interview. It's a trust interview. Are you the kind of guy (or gal) that I can put in charge of my million dollar trust fund and expect it to be returned with 2 million in the account.? Can I trust you to make the right decisions for the right reasons? Any bozo (or bozette) that comes in with a 12 point plan is a loser. Plans are great, but once $hit actually starts happening you will get pummeled in life if you are unable to adapt to circumstances beyond your control.

So, I don't need to know anything from the guy's (or gal's) mouth other than what he (or she) thinks makes him (or her) a winner.

It may help if their kids and spouse feel neglected. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

1. What's your detailed plan to move Sam Darnold to the next level?

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

“What are you going to do to support Sam Darnold?”

Really coming around on this idea that the next regime shouldn’t be forcibly tethered to any player currently on the roster, including the QB.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's Monday, December 31, 2018.  Todd Bowles was fired last night as he got off the plane from New England.  You're now in the interview room as the Jets parade a bunch of young, hotshot Offensive Coordinators, college coaches and NFL re-treads to audition for the Jets Head Coach job.  You get one question to ask.  Go!

What's your vision for bringing this team's offense to the level the Chiefs are playing at?

• Upvote 1

You do know that QB Sam Darnold is hopefully the future of this franchise. If or when your hired what kind of offensive system will you be implementing? Who do you have in mind of hiring to be your offensive coordinator and QB coach?

On defense, what kind of style or defense will you be using? Who do you have in mind in hiring to be your defensive coordinator?

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Outline every step you would take to get this team to a Superbowl. Be specific