You're in the interview room. What is the most important question to ask a potential coaching candidate?

jetstream23

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pac said:

- Describe a couple scenarios where you used prior knowledge of your opponent to take advantage of a matchup(s) to get a positive outcome.

- Describe some half time adjustments you've made during games that resulted in either a momentum shift, or increasing your teams lead

- Name some instances where you started a player that wasn't as highly drafted, but outperformed the incumbent

- What has to happen for you to bench or discipline an underachieving player

- How do you see the game being played on offense in the next few years

- Who will be your defensive coordinator and what type of d will they play

Congrats on what is likely your first good post here.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's Monday, December 31, 2018.  Todd Bowles was fired last night as he got off the plane from New England.  You're now in the interview room as the Jets parade a bunch of young, hotshot Offensive Coordinators, college coaches and NFL re-treads to audition for the Jets Head Coach job.  You get one question to ask.  Go!

“So it says here you’ve been a ‘Quality Control Assistant’ for the Houston Texans for :checks notes: six...months and, oh! you were there as an unpaid intern to boot. Can you describe how being a member of :looks down at one-page Comic Sans fonted resumé: Kappa Tau Sigma helped you get through, uh, Rutgers?” 

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Its 4th and 2 on the opponents 45 yard line. 3 minutes to go in the game. You have 3 times outs and trail by 2.

What do you do? Punt and hope your d can hold, or be aggressive and go for it? 

To me the guy who rationalizes going for it is the winner. We have had a conservative, scared, play not to lose CS here for the last 4 years, it is time for an aggressive coach.

Similar situation as what I posted in another thread.

I also mentioned that I would have some nerds compile data on all of the candidates' statistics on 4th downs.

How often they go?  How often they convert? How often they punt? Kick FGs?  Call timeout?  Everything...

I am certain you can learn a ton about a coach just on 4th down choices.  The calling timeouts stat is big for me.  I DESPISE coaches that call timeout on 4th down.  You should already know what you're going to do. Simple concept.   Think ahead situationally.

The Jets need a coach always looking for a reason to go, not one looking for an excuse to punt.

As for the guy that wants to punt?  "Thank you for your time."  (Thinking to myself, "get the hell out of my office!")

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As a Canadian on the old NY jet forums i was on I was very puzzled by the whole sauce gravy thing.  ?

Ah, just a bunch of old guineas (I'm one of 'em) arguing about dumb stuff.   Basically, it depends on where you grew up if you refer to a tomato based pasta topping as sauce or gravy.  Wars have been fought over less.

24 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Very diplomatic. We all know it's sauce. Gravy is the brown stuff you put on turkey.

I've always held that the sauce/gravy conundrum was a misuse of Italian words.  Where my people are from (Northern Italy), we refer to a non-meat tomato sauce as "salsa".  While a meat based one is a "sugo" which might translate to some as a gravy".  

Archived