2019 Senior Bowl News and Invites.

sec101row23

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s that time of year again 

https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites.php

I am looking forward to the day that we don't think about the Senior Bowl too much unitl January because we are following on a playoff run for our team.  But since this isn't that day, thanks for posting.

Haven't had much of a chance to follow prosepcts too much during this college football season -- so its time to get started now.

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Nice.  Like him.  

Seriously, how is this not one of the deepest WR classes? I know the 2014-2015 stretch raised the bar, but taken as part of 10 or 20 year survey - i think some of the "weak class" comments by respected pundits is downright laughable. 

No, there's no Evans/Odell/Watkins name power at the top - and who cares. Good for us. More options in rounds 3-5. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Seriously, how is this not one of the deepest WR classes? I know the 2014-2015 stretch raised the bar, but taken as part of 10 or 20 year survey - i think some of the "weak class" comments by respected pundits is downright laughable. 

No, there's no Evans/Odell/Watkins name power at the top - and who cares. Good for us. More options in rounds 3-5. 

Agreed.  It was looking good back in September when we first mentioned it was a good class, now some of these guys had great years and it’s gotten even deeper.  As usual we were ahead of the curve....Lol

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Honestly, see maybe 3 pros on that list.

I agree, if that... but it's nice see all the "names" showing up to the sr bowl to play. Grier is interesting, and Thorson may have a career as a back up. the rest are liabilities in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Honestly, see maybe 3 pros on that list.

For the first time in decades I could care less about the QB's. The Senior Bowl is the greatest tool for evaluating senior prospects....bar none.

Off the top of my head I can't remember one player that struggled during the senior bowl that turned into anything worthwhile. The Senior Bowl practices are the time to either sink or swim IMO.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:11 PM, RobR said:

My favorite time of year for grading prospects. Lets hope a bunch of Olineman have a good showing and we pick at least a couple of them.

I think the linemen drills are the best part of Senior Bowl week.  It’s just such a great way of evaluating these guys.  The WR/CB drills are fun, but too many variables associated with those drills (QB throwing, timing between QB/WR etc..).  But the mano y mano line drills isolate these guys and magnify any weaknesses.   

11 hours ago, RobR said:

For the first time in decades I could care less about the QB's. The Senior Bowl is the greatest tool for evaluating senior prospects....bar none.

Off the top of my head I can't remember one player that struggled during the senior bowl that turned into anything worthwhile. The Senior Bowl practices are the time to either sink or swim IMO.

Great point.

12 hours ago, RobR said:

I wish the drills at the Combine could be more like the Sr Bowl practices.  You learn so much more from the one on one drills in the Sr Bowl than seeing guys work out against air at the combine.  That is how guys like Hill and Gholston shine.  There is no hiding at the Sr Bowl.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, sec101row23 said:

Couldn't agree more. I was going through the QB film on Grier and this guy kept jumping out at me. Sills is 6'4" and could be a real red zone threat as he is one of the best "high point" receivers in this class. A converted QB, he's only played wide receiver for three years and so still should have some upside.  He probably will drop after the combine so could be there on day three. Unfortunately I agree with  Paradis as I don't see Mac taking a receiver high so we need look for mid round opportunities.

While it's still fresh on the mind, cause i will forget -- @RobR curious to put these names on your radar and get your impression--

1. WSU LT Andre Dillard; spend some time watching him this weekend. Looking for that 3rd round LT right now. 
  2. Alabama State OT Tytus Howard.... Only watched the hornets once vs the jaguars - but i read good things. Lots actually. 
  3. Charlotte OG - Nate Davis... played tackle w/49ers but size looks more like an interior guy. He interests me as well. 

All will be at Sr Bowl and should be tested well and often in drills all week... Report back! 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

While it's still fresh on the mind, cause i will forget -- @RobR curious to put these names on your radar and get your impression--

1. WSU LT Andre Dillard; spend some time watching him this weekend. Looking for that 3rd round LT right now. 
  2. Alabama State OT Tytus Howard.... Only watched the hornets once vs the jaguars - but i read good things. Lots actually. 
  3. Charlotte OG - Nate Davis... played tackle w/49ers but size looks more like an interior guy. He interests me as well. 

All will be at Sr Bowl and should be tested well and often in drills all week... Report back! 

You know I always focus on those ever elusive Olineman during Senior Bowl week. I'll do a little bit of Dillard later tonight and report back.

The Senior Bowl practices are such a great tool for evaluation because it's almost infallible when it comes to their performance at the NFL level. TJ Clemmings anyone. 

It is getting so hard to find decent tape since DB went bellyup but I did find the Cal game.

Overall I think there is a lot to like with Dillard. Sets a good base but his kick slide could use some work in the speed department. Uses his hands well and flawlessly disengages one man to move onto the next. Good at the second level as he can locate his block and does a good job of positioning his man out of the play, although I didn't see him pull once in that tape(not his fault). 

I also watched an interview with him and he comes off as well spoken and intelligent which is huge in my book. He definitely could add some strength and with WSU almost every play was a pass but in the limited run blocking plays he was more than adequate.

I like him.....now we just have to see how long his frame is although from the tape I think they're good. Senior Bowl week will be huge for him.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Watched the Auburn / Alabama St game and while Howard went against better competition it was a mixed bag. He's a tough player too evaluate because of his inconsistent play. 

I'd wager a guess that at the SB they'll be trying him inside since he's a project at LT and he played strictly RT in that game which should draw concern. My biggest complaint is that he plays soft and stops moving his feet after he engages all too often.  

1 hour ago, RobR said:

It is getting so hard to find decent tape since DB went bellyup but I did find the Cal game.

Overall I think there is a lot to like with Dillard. Sets a good base but his kick slide could use some work in the speed department. Uses his hands well and flawlessly disengages one man to move onto the next. Good at the second level as he can locate his block and does a good job of positioning his man out of the play, although I didn't see him pull once in that tape(not his fault). 

I also watched an interview with him and he comes off as well spoken and intelligent which is huge in my book. He definitely could add some strength and with WSU almost every play was a pass but in the limited run blocking plays he was more than adequate.

I like him.....now we just have to see how long his frame is although from the tape I think they're good. Senior Bowl week will be huge for him.

Nice. I can't read Oline footwork. I'm sure it can be taught, but i leave that to better men, like you. 

Good to hear that you're seeing (technically) what i was seeing (inspirationally). Be following his work at the Senior Bowl.   

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

Watched the Auburn / Alabama St game and while Howard went against better competition it was a mixed bag. He's a tough player too evaluate because of his inconsistent play. 

I'd wager a guess that at the SB they'll be trying him inside since he's a project at LT and he played strictly RT in that game which should draw concern. My biggest complaint is that he plays soft and stops moving his feet after he engages all too often.  

Interesting. The more i dug, the more i found fans of his, but sounds like a project. 

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nice. I can't read Oline footwork. I'm sure it can be taught, but i leave that to better men, like you. 

Good to hear that you're seeing (technically) what i was seeing (inspirationally). Be following his work at the Senior Bowl.   

It really can't be taught. They either have it or they don't..... no different than that athletically gifted WR or RB. Sure it can be improved upon but if you're showing slow feet in college that isn't changing at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

It really can't be taught. They either have it or they don't..... no different than that athletically gifted WR or RB. Sure it can be improved upon but if you're showing slow feet in college that isn't changing at the NFL level.

i meant like taught to me, on what to look for. I don't have a rich understanding of the technical side of playing on the line, especially with tackles. I think i see good feet and hips to bend, and then *bust*.... so yea, i'll lean on the acumen of you and others. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i meant like taught to me, on what to look for. I don't have a rich understanding of the technical side of playing on the line, especially with tackles. I think i see good feet and hips to bend, and then *bust*.... so yea, i'll lean on the acumen of you and others. 

Stick with your RB's and WR's and I'll promise not to talk about CB's. 

Iv'e pondered over this thought a million times but if I was a GM I would hire positional scouts, not regional. It just makes too much sense and I wonder how other front offices approach that method. 

Another interesting tidbit is that Phil Savage is no longer running the Senior Bowl as he jumped ship to one of those new leagues. It looks like Nagy is off to a good start assembling the rosters, hopefully he can do as well as Savage did over the years.

And for those of you that don't watch the senior bowl or their practices I will leave you with this link. Sorry I'm not very computer savvy to post it here. If anyone could post it without the link it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.seniorbowl.com/news-highlights-detail.php?news=881

On 12/7/2018 at 10:05 AM, Paradis said:

The class is deep.  The number of quality prospects isn't the problem.  The ability of the Jets (Maccagnan) to accurately assess, grade and then project these guys at the NFL level is the real issue.  This organization (even prior to Maccagnan) has whiffed on soooo many WR prospects it defies the law of averages!  A monkey throwing darts at a list of prospects would have hit more than the Jets have!  Not just recent guys like Devin Smith, Chad Hansen or Ardarius Stewart....this problem has been around since Stephen Hill, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, etc.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The class is deep.  The number of quality prospects isn't the problem.  The ability of the Jets (Maccagnan) to accurately assess, grade and then project these guys at the NFL level is the real issue.  This organization (even prior to Maccagnan) has whiffed on soooo many WR prospects it defies the law of averages!  A monkey throwing darts at a list of prospects would have hit more than the Jets have!  Not just recent guys like Devin Smith, Chad Hansen or Ardarius Stewart....this problem has been around since Stephen Hill, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, etc.

Youa re not going back far enough.  Since we drafted Santana Moss in the first round in 2001, we have picked 15 WRs in the draft.  The first was Jerricho Cotchery, a solid 4th round pick.  Beyond that, a couple of minot hits (Kerley and Enunwa) and a whole lot of nothing:

Misc     Games Rushing Receiving  
Rk Year Rnd Pick Player Pos DrAge From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD College/Univ  
1 2017 3 79 ArDarius Stewart WR 23 2017 2017 0 0 0 1 15 2 7 27 0 6 82 0 Alabama College Stats
2 2017 4 141 Chad Hansen WR 22 2017 2017 0 0 0 1 15 1       9 94 0 California College Stats
3 2016 7 241 Charone Peake WR 23 2016 2018 0 0 0 1 30 1       22 214 0 Clemson College Stats
4 2015 2 37 Devin Smith WR 23 2015 2016 0 0 0 1 14 3       10 135 1 Ohio St. College Stats
5 2014 4 104 Jalen Saunders WR 21 2014 2014 0 0 0 0 15 0       1 7 0 Oklahoma College Stats
6 2014 4 115 Shaquelle Evans WR 23 2014 2014 0 0 0 0 0               UCLA College Stats
7 2014 6 209 Quincy Enunwa WR 22 2014 2018 0 0 2 9 40 29 2 12 0 118 1621 5 Nebraska College Stats
8 2012 2 43 Stephen Hill WR 21 2012 2014 0 0 2 4 23 19       45 594 4 Georgia Tech College Stats
9 2012 7 244 Jordan White WR 24 2012 2012 0 0 0 0 3 0       1 13 0 West. Michigan  
10 2011 5 153 Jeremy Kerley WR 22 2011 2018 0 0 2 23 99 40 18 133 0 270 3116 13 TCU College Stats
11 2011 7 227 Scotty McKnight WR 23     0 0 0                   Colorado College Stats
12 2008 6 171 Marcus Henry WR 22     0 0 0                   Kansas College Stats
13 2007 7 235 Chansi Stuckey WR 23 2008 2011 0 0 0 10 55 10 6 16 1 106 1062 5 Clemson College Stats
14 2005 7 240 Harry Williams WR 23 2005 2007 0 0 0 0 3 0             Tuskegee  
15 2004 4 108 Jerricho Cotchery WR 22 2004 2015 0 0 5 52 175 89 22 93 1 524 6623 34 North Carolina St. College S

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 4:35 AM, RobR said:

I remember Brick went there as a prospect with some questions about his bulk but in the conversation for Round 1,  maybe top 20. After checking in at 6-6 310 he than absolutely dominated the drills and was a lock top 5 pick from then on, and that was the year of Mario Williams and Reggie Bush

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Anyone see the roster breakdowns yet?  Interesting to see who will be going up against each other in practices.  

Notice on the Senior Bowl website that the rosters for each team will be announced on Wed 1/16.  Although Sr Bowl has been releasing some positional breakdowns on twitter:

Archived