2019 Senior Bowl News and Invites.

sec101row23

1 hour ago, Lith said:

So they are adding a 9th QB to the SB? How are they supposed to get reps when none of them will even see a quarter of play? 

Unless someone dropped out I'm not getting it because we normally we see three QB's per squad.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RobR said:

So they are adding a 9th QB to the SB? How are they supposed to get reps when none of them will even see a quarter of play? 

Unless someone dropped out I'm not getting it because we normally we see three QB's per squad.

Agreed.  It even splits up the practice reps too much.  Plus, it’s not like he’s Kyler Murray, Jackson isn’t even a legit prospect IMO. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  It even splits up the practice reps too much.  Plus, it’s not like he’s Kyler Murray, Jackson isn’t even a legit prospect IMO. 

I never question what the Senior Bowl does regarding personnel because they have always done a fantastic job over the years. This one is a complete head scratcher.

Just now, RobR said:

I never question what the Senior Bowl does regarding personnel because they have always done a fantastic job over the years. This one is a complete head scratcher.

Agreed.   This years group as a whole is exceptional.  Can’t wait to see the complete roster breakdowns so we can see who is going up against each other in practice.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s an awkward looking QB.  Watched him a few times this year to see An1thony Johnson.   Not sure he belongs here to be honest.  Should have stayed in school as well, can’t see him being drafted before the middle of the 6th round.  

So that was Jim's big announcement?.... Figured it was going to be a QB. 

I'm sorry, but T. Jackson is B-version of Paxton Lynch.... and, well, we all know how that worked out. Me, more so than anyone on this board. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 8:15 PM, sec101row23 said:

He’s an awkward looking QB.  Watched him a few times this year to see An1thony Johnson.   Not sure he belongs here to be honest.  Should have stayed in school as well, can’t see him being drafted before the middle of the 6th round.  

That's what they said about Hack, too.?

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Already got the DVR fired up.

Rob, turning your attention to a hornet by the name of Tytus Howard. OT with (IMO) LT projection... the way Andre D is heating up, my hopes for 3rd round LT are dwindling... I think i brought him up to you before- but youtube footage is limited to full games. 

Be interested to hear your thoughts on him in practice. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Rob, turning your attention to a hornet by the name of Tytus Howard. OT with (IMO) LT projection... the way Andre D is heating up, my hopes for 3rd round LT are dwindling... I think i brought him up to you before- but youtube footage is limited to full games. 

I’d add Garrett Bradbury C from N.C. State as well.  He looked like a nice 4th or 5th round guy and all of a sudden Ledyard throws him in the middle of the first round in his latest mock...Lol.  We’ll see how this plays out though.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’d add Garrett Bradbury C from N.C. State as well.  He looked like a nice 4th or 5th round guy and all of a sudden Ledyard throws him in the middle of the first round in his latest mock...Lol.  We’ll see how this plays out though.  

He also has Harmon as the 15th best player in the draft. I actually like/enjoy  the diversity and blatant neglect of popular opinion that site brings, but it comes with flip side of also blatantly ignoring other players 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

He also has Harmon as the 15th best player in the draft. I actually like/enjoy  the diversity and blatant neglect of popular opinion that site brings, but it comes with flip side of also blatantly ignoring other players 

True, I like that they try to be ahead of the curve on projecting these guys though, I like diving in beyond what is the “consensus”.    It counteracts the volumes of chalk mocks and discussing the same 5 guys at the top of the draft.  

26 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True, I like that they try to be ahead of the curve on projecting these guys though, I like diving in beyond what is the “consensus”.    It counteracts the volumes of chalk mocks and discussing the same 5 guys at the top of the draft.  

That's why I have Ed Oliver number one on my board and now I see him being mocked in the teens. Just wait until he blows up the combine and starts getting mocked in the top three.

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

That's why I have Ed Oliver number one on my board and now I see him being mocked in the teens. Just wait until he blows up the combine and starts getting mocked in the top three.

You have certainly been consistent -- you have been driving the Oliver train for 3 seasons.  No need to get off of it now.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

What is with your love for Alabama St players? Anyway I'll be checking out all of the lineman like usual. Measurements are coming out tomorrow.

Even though we don't have a need, there are some intriguing guys on that quarterback list.  I like Finley.  He strikes me as the type of guy the Pats will target.  

Several O-Lineman I'll be keeping an eye on:  Dieter, Benszhawel(?), McGary, Risner, Erik Mccoy, E Jenkins

Foster Moreau (TE, LSU) is another guy I like.  Excellent blocker.  He would be a good replacement for Tomlinson with a bit more upside.  

8 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

Even though we don't have a need, there are some intriguing guys on that quarterback list.  I like Finley.  He strikes me as the type of guy the Pats will target.  

Several O-Lineman I'll be keeping an eye on:  Dieter, Benszhawel(?), McGary, Risner, Erik Mccoy, E Jenkins

Foster Moreau (TE, LSU) is another guy I like.  Excellent blocker.  He would be a good replacement for Tomlinson with a bit more upside.  

Dieter is an interesting guy.  Played all over the line at Wisconsin - has had seasons as starting center, left tackle and guard.  Probably more suited to an interior OL as a pro; but it would sure be nice to have a guy with that kind of versatility on our OL.

Some interesting results this year from the weigh ins... Watched some clips of lotta linemen, both sides of the ball, showing up and measurements are way off from listings..

Wes Hill measured in a 6' 209... which looks about right and not the 6'2 that was floating around. I think his is a lot more compact that ppl realized.

• Dillard check
  • Dexter check
  • Anthony J check
  • Doss 6'2, not 6'3 which i'm fine with. Wasn't a jump ball only artist
  • Howard beast
  • Wesley check
  • Hurd 6'4 225.... FCK YEA
  • Ferguson 6'4 256 check
  • Josh Oliver, 6'4 245 beautiful. 
  • Samuel 5'11 217... looks about right, though i bet plays at closer 220-225 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:35 PM, RobR said:

For the first time in decades I could care less about the QB's. The Senior Bowl is the greatest tool for evaluating senior prospects....bar none.

Off the top of my head I can't remember one player that struggled during the senior bowl that turned into anything worthwhile. The Senior Bowl practices are the time to either sink or swim IMO.

I get that this is true and all, but it probably means more if you actually get to watch it.  I read a ton about these guys, as opposed to getting to watch everybody, and there are plenty where I read that that "struggle" and "shine" at the same senior bowl.  Gabe Jackson comes to mind, but I think I remember the phenomena as far back as Faneca.  It means less with raw guys that flash - for instance, Marcus Davenport had a nice enough rookie season and I read that he supposedly struggled plenty. 

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that this is true and all, but it probably means more if you actually get to watch it.  I read a ton about these guys, as opposed to getting to watch everybody, and there are plenty where I read that that "struggle" and "shine" at the same senior bowl.  Gabe Jackson comes to mind, but I think I remember the phenomena as far back as Faneca.  It means less with raw guys that flash - for instance, Marcus Davenport had a nice enough rookie season and I read that he supposedly struggled plenty. 

I think of guys like TJ Clemmings who at the time was considered a first round pick. He had a lousy SB, fell to the fourth round and last I checked has just been floating around the league.

Also iirc Davenport did pretty well at the SB last year.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

I think of guys like TJ Clemmings who at the time was considered a first round pick. He had a lousy SB, fell to the fourth round and last I checked has just been floating around the league.

Also iirc Davenport did pretty well at the SB last year.

That's my point.  You recall Davenport doing pretty well at the senior bowl, but I read that he struggled.  When you rely on press reports, instead of actually watching, (which I tend to be forced to do) it is very uneven. Too much of the play-by-play tweets instantly downplaying or propping guys up.  

Finally getting some time to look through these practices and the first person that jumps out is Deebo Samuel. He's smooth, quick and can gain separation.

@Paradis So far I've watched two bad reps from your guy Howard but I like him. QB>TE>LT and now he's huge and measured great. I need to watch some more of him during the week but he looks like someone a good staff could develop.  He needs coaching but the feet are there.   

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Finally getting some time to look through these practices and the first person that jumps out is Deebo Samuel. He's smooth, quick and can gain separation.

@Paradis So far I've watched two bad reps from your guy Howard but I like him. QB>TE>LT and now he's huge and measured great. I need to watch some more of him during the week but he looks like someone a good staff could develop.  He needs coaching but the feet are there.   

Deebo Samuel is very nasty!!!  Stocky build but fast with smooth routes and good "late" hands

Archived