Bowles and McCagnan have been at odds for years.

Joe W. Namath

Coaches should be allowed almost zero say in who gets drafted, almost ZERO.

The extent of their say should be some pre draft meetings in which they voice the type of player they feel they need.

If I was the Gm I'd kick all coaches out of the room in draft day,  These guys do not watch much film before hand they are not scouts.  

Coaches are paid to coach GMs are paid to assemble the talent.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You have more confidence  in Maccagnan learning on the job or the Johnsons hiring someone competent?

Reading the article, Mehta was really squishy on the “Jets should keep Maccagnan” part, and he’s usually more flagrant with his biases and agenda. Obviously, no one believes that Maccagnan is “learning on be job,” or that he has the capacity to, and credit to Mehta for focusing on Macc’s putrid draft record.

That said, if you had to guess at his sources, it’s someone on the player personnel side who wants to stick around, knows that Bowles is toast, but has no issue kneecapping Maccagnan just enough in the process. Whoever talked to Mehta wanted to hang Hackenberg around Macc’s neck and make him look like a weak bitch besides, while at the same time pointing out that not *all* of the draft picks have been sh*t. 

Ladies and gentleman, these are the early stages of a Brian Heimerdinger coup. 

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LOL

So much for the idea that ever defensive pick was due to Bowles. The coaches - whom fans suggest never wanted a draft pick who wasn't on D - wanted him to trade up for Kamara and Macc said nope to moving up 4 slots outside the top 2 rounds. Why? Likely because then he couldn't get back those compensatory picks he pissed away the prior offseason; the ones that everyone told me were worthless at the time. Meanwhile not only does he not trade up a few slots in round 3 for a player the coaches want badly (and even worse still, is a stud), but he spends the rest of that draft trading down, trying to recoup picks he squandered with his asinine UFA signings like Matt Forte that canceled out as many as 4 such comp picks.

The guy is so incompetent and so stupid it's painful. 

Agreed across the board. I’d still like to know who drafted Maye, wanted to pay Skrine and Cro and Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson. It’s notable from the article that they’re pinning Ardarius Stewart on John Morton, but we’re supposed to believe that Macc wasn’t relenting on other picks at Todd’s request? Something fishy about that whole Kamara story. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed across the board. I’d still like to know who drafted Maye, wanted to pay Skrine and Cro and Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson. It’s notable from the article that they’re pinning Ardarius Stewart on John Morton, but we’re supposed to believe that Macc wasn’t relenting on other picks at Todd’s request? Something fishy about that whole Kamara story. 

I don't believe the Kamara story for 1 minute. As soon as I read ACCORDING TO MANISH MEHTA I stop reading. That guy is the king of anonymous sources.

If this story is true -- and its a Manish story, so who really knows.  It says more about our ownership than it says about either guy.  Bowels and Macc both report into Woody, and now Chris.  It took four years, and three double digit losing seasons for them to figure out that the two guys leading the team had a toxic relationship.  That is incompetence at the highest level. 

It also means we are probably screwed unless we just luck into the right guy.  

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan ignored speculation to draft Saints RB Alvin Kamara as he didn't want to take the risk, reports NY Daily News' Manish Mehta

Kamara is turning heads as the rookie has shown out in his two preseason games with the Saints so far this year. Mehta says the Jets wanted to make a push to draft Kamara this year, but Maccagnan decided to stay where they were on the draft board as he viewed Kamara as too much of a risk.

The Jets drafted WR ArDarius Stewart at No. 79 overall in the third round, but now they are seeing what they could have possibly gotten with Kamara in their backfield. The 5-foot-10, 194 pound back has totaled 118 yards and a touchdown on just 10 touches in two preseason games. 

Kamara is shaping up to be a difference maker if he can continue the pace he is on, and the Jets could certainly have used his talents. However, head coach Todd Bowles believes there are playmakers already on his roster. 

"I wouldn't say we (don't) have any difference makers," he said after the Jets' loss to the Lions on Sunday. "We just have to play together. If we block the quarterback we'll have a chance."

The Saints traded their 2018 second-round pick and 2017 sixth round pick to the 49ers to move up and draft Kamara. 

"Maccagnan won’t be mistaken for Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf anytime soon, but the smart course for the Jets would be to retain him for myriad reasons"

"The Jets would be wise to give Maccagnan an opportunity to hire a head coach who truly shares his team-building philosophies and reports directly to him. Blowing it all up and starting for scratch would do more harm than good given the dynamics at play."

^ Mehta.

From Mehta's article and then he spends the rest of article explaining all the way McGack ****ed up, He can't be that stupid.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

If this story is true -- and its a Manish story, so who really knows.  It says more about our ownership than it says about either guy.  Bowels and Macc both report into Woody, and now Chris.  It took four years, and three double digit losing seasons for them to figure out that the two guys leading the team had a toxic relationship.  That is incompetence at the highest level. 

It also means we are probably screwed unless we just luck into the right guy.  

Bolded for creamy goodness

So Bowles who's career is looking grim is pointing fingers anywhere he can? The coaches probably didn't want hackenburg because they wanted to sign mccown or fitzpatrick long term. Them saying they wanted to trade up for kamara but the price was too high...doesn't that mean Mac at least put some thought into it to find out the price? Than the article said the coaches wanted Stuart anyway...Honestly this article is nonsense and says literally nothing if you break it down it is not worth anyone getting worked up over.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

So Bowles who's career is looking grim is pointing fingers anywhere he can? The coaches probably didn't want hackenburg because they wanted to sign mccown or fitzpatrick long term. Them saying they wanted to trade up for kamara but the price was too high...doesn't that mean Mac at least put some thought into it to find out the price? Than the article said the coaches wanted Stuart anyway...Honestly this article is nonsense and says literally nothing if you break it down it is not worth anyone getting worked up over.

And the jets could have avoided this kind of finger pointing had they just cut the cord with Todd at the bye.  Or after the Tennessee meltdown.  This is all so unnecessary. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Reading the article, Mehta was really squishy on the “Jets should keep Maccagnan” part, and he’s usually more flagrant with his biases and agenda. Obviously, no one believes that Maccagnan is “learning on be job,” or that he has the capacity to, and credit to Mehta for focusing on Macc’s putrid draft record.

That said, if you had to guess at his sources, it’s someone on the player personnel side who wants to stick around, knows that Bowles is toast, but has no issue kneecapping Maccagnan just enough in the process. Whoever talked to Mehta wanted to hang Hackenberg around Macc’s neck and make him look like a weak bitch besides, while at the same time pointing out that not *all* of the draft picks have been sh*t. 

Wrong, as usual.

Mehta has a source very close to Bowles and some think it's Bowles himself.  Why do you think Mehta has been reluctant to say Bowles is gone until only recently?

This reads like he's taking a few swipes at Macc for Bowles as Todd heads out the door.

And I read somewhere that Heimerdinger, who you seem to love so much, was right there in lockstep with Macc on the Hack pick.

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

This ship is going down fast. Bowles isn’t going without a fight. He’s trying to bring down Macc.

Let’s go Bowles. Go get’em! Strike while the iron is hot. Jets fans have your back as long as you are aware that you need to go too.

Would be a lovely parting gift if he could take Macc with him.  Might even elveate him above the Kotite/Holtz level of Jets coaching rankings.  Maybe on par with Charley Winner.

2 things mentioned.
Mac did not want to trade up for Kamora.   Mac did want Hackenburg
I don't see in the article where it says Mac did not want kamara. I see where it says everyone wanted ardarius Stuart either way I am almost certain this is just some made up bolgnia that someone who had no real news to write about fabricated so that a bunch of angry jets fans would argue over it.

28 minutes ago, CTM said:

"Maccagnan won’t be mistaken for Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf anytime soon, but the smart course for the Jets would be to retain him for myriad reasons"

"The Jets would be wise to give Maccagnan an opportunity to hire a head coach who truly shares his team-building philosophies and reports directly to him. Blowing it all up and starting for scratch would do more harm than good given the dynamics at play."

^ Mehta.

From Mehta's article and then he spends the rest of article explaining all the way McGack ****ed up, He can't be that stupid.

That was my takeaway, too. There’s a lot of contradiction in that arricle. It’s likely that Manish “heard” one BS rumor and just tried to spin a yarn, or he’s carrying water for someone with no ties to either Bowles or Macc

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a chance to do this right for once and get rid of everyone.  Hire a gm who then hires a coach.

Its so simple im not sure why there is any debate.  Bowles and mac will both be gone on black monday.

If you are going to fire Mac, it has to be done now. You have to hire a GM prior to a HC.  If Johnson waits till the end of the season to fire the GM, he is screwed because by time he hires the GM, the top HC candidates will be hired by other teams.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All that article does is confirm both most go. It also confirms what we have all thought that Bowles plays or not plays players for personal interest and politics not to win games. Dump both of them.

Christian Hackenberg is a 2nd round pick of the AAFL or whatever it’s called.  Bowles was right to keep him away from the field.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Just over the last 2 months we’ve seen Bowles opt to punt while down by 2 scores late in a game...

The guy makes in-game coaching gaffs that are just mind boggling.

He also is in control of the gameday roster. Bowles is the one who decided to sit Darnold for the last 3 weeks. Bowles is the one who kept Long out there as the starting center when he was repeatedly sending snaps over Sam’s head and at his feet multiple games in a row. Bowles is the one who refused to bench a guy like Skrine in favor of Roberts/Nickerson...

I’m all for completely cleaning house, but I’m not sure why so many are acting as if Bowles is some sort of scapegoat and Macc is the main culprit.

Macc certainly has his faults and you won’t see me boo-hooing if they kick his ass out the door as well, but to me it’s clear that Bowles is the head turd in this sh*t sandwich.

Because it seems as if Macc is going to keep his job, and it also seems as if, as bad of a job as Bowles can be credited for, Macc is demonstrably worse.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Heinerdinger is the new Joey Clinkscales. We have no idea what he does or if he’s any good. He’s just not Maccagan.

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a chance to do this right for once and get rid of everyone.  Hire a gm who then hires a coach.

Its so simple im not sure why there is any debate.  Bowles and mac will both be gone on black monday.

Either this or hire a President of Football Operations and have him hire the GM & Both can decide on which HC to hire.

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Christian Hackenberg is a 2nd round pick of the AAFL or whatever it’s called.  Bowles was right to keep him away from the field.

It’s funny because many fans (myself included) wanted to see him play in lost seasons like 2016 or 2017 just for the hell of it. Even if he was a reach, he couldn’t be that bad right? Wrong.

He’s actually that terrible and I know I was hard on Bowles for coming off as not playing the young guys on offense and being forward thinking but he was right. Hackenturd was legendary in regards to ineptness. 

Archived