Todd Bowles on notion that there is tension between Jets GM Mike Maccagnan & him: “There’s never been any tension with me or anybody else in this building.”

Patriot Killa

A little torn here. On the one hand, Mehta is a disreputable hack who wrote a loosely-sourced and self-contradictory article that left you with the impression he heard a scant rumor somewhere and milked it for clicks. On the other hand, it’s equally likely that Todd Bowles has never experienced an emotion. 

Here's how Jets coach Todd Bowles reacted to Daily News story on his eroding relationship with GM Mike Maccagnan

DEC 07, 2018 | 3:45 PM

Todd Bowles disagreed with the notion that there’s discord between general manager Mike Maccagnan and him in the wake of a Daily News story that detailed elements of their eroding relationship.

“There’s never been any tension with me or anybody else in this building,” Bowles told SNY on Friday. “It’s a professional place. There’s a lot of good people in here and we treat people the same way. It’s unfortunate someone has their own agenda in mind. I guess that’s between him and Manish (Mehta), whoever that person is. But usually the person that throws the first stone is usually the culprit. So, they’re probably trying to protect or hide something. But most of the organization is not like that. It’s unfortunate that we had that said.”

The News reported that the current reporting structure that puts Bowles and Maccagnan on parallel tracks to ownership has created an unproductive working environment. Although several people said that Bowles and Maccagnan have been professional to each other during their four-year relationship, the feeling in the organization is that neither one truly believes the other has a good plan for success.

The brain trust no longer believes that Bowles, who is 23-37 in charge, can overcome his shortcomings as the head coach. His future with the team is a fait accompli.

Although it’s not set in stone that Maccagnan will be retained, the feeling in the building is that the general manager can improve with a revised structure that calls for the next head coach to report directly to him. So, he will likely be back and play an important role in the next coaching search.

Truth be told, Maccagnan and Bowles are both culpable for the team’s current state. Maccagnan has attempted to be a team player perhaps to a fault by appeasing his coaches in the draft and free agency too many times. There’s a sense that he needs to better trust his own area of expertise (college scouting) rather than yield to coaches. There are some concerns about Maccagnan’s ability to accelerate the rebuilding process too.

Bowles hasn’t exactly been armed with a talent-rich roster, but there have been questionable game-management decisions coupled with undisciplined play that have given the powers that be pause for concern. Despite the rough season that includes a six-game losing streak entering Sunday’s game in Buffalo, Bowles maintained that he’s not looking for this forgettable season to be over.

Bowles hasn’t exactly been armed with a talent-rich roster, but there have been questionable game-management decisions coupled with undisciplined play that have given the powers that be pause for concern. Despite the rough season that includes a six-game losing streak entering Sunday’s game in Buffalo, Bowles maintained that he’s not looking for this forgettable season to be over.

“I’m just looking forward to the next game,” Bowles said this week. “You don't look forward to the season being over until it's over.”

Bowles missed the playoffs in each of his four seasons. Surely, he envisioned more success when he was hired in 2015.

“I anticipated a lot of things in my life that didn't go quite as planned,” Bowles said.

Bowles said he’ll huddle with his coaches and make a decision on the starting quarterback on Sunday. Gamesmanship aside, Sam Darnold, who practiced fully for a third consecutive day, will start against the Bills.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A little torn here. On the one hand, Mehta is a disreputable hack who write a loosely-sourced and self-contradictory article that left you with the impression he heard a scant rumor somewhere and milked it for clicks. On the other hand, it’s equally likely that Todd Bowles has never experienced an emotion. 

It’s peculiar that Manish broke the news about this eroding relationship and then he was the first one to write and post Bowle’s rebuttal and denial of this ever happening.

what does that tell you?

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s peculiar that Manish broke the news about this eroding relationship and then he was the first one to write and post Bowle’s rebuttal and denial of this ever happening.

what does that tell you?

that Manish a little attention whore and that we can never trust a single thing he writes.  He's a twerp in the most classical sense.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

what does that tell you?

That no one respects Eric Gelfand, the Jets comms director. 

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I predict that Bowles will refuse to start Sam to make a point which will force ownership’s hand to fire him after the Bills game. That’s if there is truly a rift between them as it does appear. 

I’m certain that if we won against Buffalo, New England, or Tennessee (therefore would still not  be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs) McCown would be starting.

I really believe Bowles was forced to start Darnold Week 1. Then when Darnold got “banged up” he used it as an excuse to sit him and thought he’d win games and save his job with McCown.

Darnold could have started against New England or Tennessee, and even Buffalo for that matter. It was smart to sit him against Buffalo. Let the foot heal, get the bye week to regroup. But what happened after was and is an absolute joke. 

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

what does that tell you?

that he did not have to think up a subject for his next story?  that he is the only writer left on that supermarket gazette they call The Daily News?

17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I predict that Bowles will refuse to start Sam to make a point which will force ownership’s hand to fire him after the Bills game. That’s if there is truly a rift between them as it does appear. 

that should pretty much guarantee him never getting another head coach interview.

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A little torn here. On the one hand, Mehta is a disreputable hack who wrote a loosely-sourced and self-contradictory article that left you with the impression he heard a scant rumor somewhere and milked it for clicks. On the other hand, it’s equally likely that Todd Bowles has never experienced an emotion. 

The Daily News has Joe’s Plumbing ads on their site. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Daily News has Joe’s Plumbing ads on their site. 

Without exaggeration, when the Greenland ice shelf collapses and we’re all drowning with our cats and iPads in our laps, it’ll be the fault of the very forces that kept a guy like Manish, and the thousands like him, employed among the fiourth estate. 

given the way answers questions at pressers he's either clueless about the turmoil thats going around him or he doesn't believe in airing the laundry in public.  i suspect it's more of the latter.  the maneesh's will do anything to manufacture news to sell copy.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

what does that tell you?

Sounds very much like a guy who works for a failing media outlet manufacturing stories about a lousy football team that is about to clean house no matter what. Really you cannot write about an exciting playoff race, or some great upcoming division games. It's a horror show. And all in the hope that when the Daily News folds, he has a body of work claiming to have "sources" , but whether that's true is really doubtful. This kind of thing is not a positive for future employers for prospective football guys. It's why Rex Ryan is not getting another job any time soon. And as little as I think of both, neither Bowles nor Maccagnan strike me as especially nasty guys, and neither is dumb enough to hurt their future employment prospects any more than this situation already has. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Truth be told, Maccagnan and Bowles are both culpable for the team’s current state. Maccagnan has attempted to be a team player perhaps to a fault by appeasing his coaches in the draft and free agency too many times. There’s a sense that he needs to better trust his own area of expertise (college scouting) rather than yield to coaches. There are some concerns about Maccagnan’s ability to accelerate the rebuilding process too.

Mac is such a douchenozzle for deflecting responsibility for his poor draft choices onto others. He's the GM and he's most responsible for the draft picks. The fact that he didn't have the resolve to pick his player shows you how poor he is at his job. Let's give that man an extension because I don't like changing GM's. Lol

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mac is such a douchenozzle for deflecting responsibility for his poor draft choices onto others. He's the GM and he's most responsible for the draft picks. The fact that he didn't have the resolve to pick his player shows you how poor he is at his job. Let's give that man an extension because I don't like changing GM's. Lol

Macc never said any of this. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

what does that tell you?

That Manish is trying to get hits?  Not much else

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m certain that if we won against Buffalo, New England, or Tennessee (therefore would still not  be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs) McCown would be starting.

I really believe Bowles was forced to start Darnold Week 1. Then when Darnold got “banged up” he used it as an excuse to sit him and thought he’d win games and save his job with McCown.

Darnold could have started against New England or Tennessee, and even Buffalo for that matter. It was smart to sit him against Buffalo. Let the foot heal, get the bye week to regroup. But what happened after was and is an absolute joke. 

Forced by who?  Macc has no say over him at all, Woody's in London, and CJ is a Dweeb

“There’s never been any tension with me or anybody else in this building,”

If not, why the hell not?

I mean massive dysfunctional tension is bad, obviously, but NO tension is just as bad.

Ask Joe Gibbs if there was any tension with his GM's.

This guy is just floundering, saying either nothing, or what he thinks people want to hear.  No clue whatsoever.

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Forced by who?  Macc has no say over him at all, Woody's in London, and CJ is a Dweeb

Ownership. Chris and/or Woody. Woody is in London, with a video conference away from dictating anything he damn well pleases. I love how this whole London thing makes people think Woody is completely hands off now, likes it 1870 and we have no technology of video, internet, and handheld communication lol.

Yeah Chris does the day-to-day and will continue to do so...but if you think Woody has no say in big decisions, then you’re being naive. 

Archived