Congratulations Sam Darnold . . .

slimjasi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a game a 4th qtr, a last drive we will look back on when Sam becomes a really good QB.  This was a huge game in his development and hopefully he can play well, win or lose, these last 3 weeks.  That will make all the difference in this season.

11 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Murray is making the right choice to give up football and play baseball professionally (I say that as a completely unbiased Oakland A's fan).

Isn't it funny that football is the only sport where the best players choose to play another sport professionally. Has anyone chosen football since Elway?   

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Isn't it funny that football is the only sport where the best players choose to play another sport professionally. Has anyone chosen football since Elway?   

Russell Wilson, Ricky Williams, Jameis Winston just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more.

14 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I am all for a better draft pick (and coaching staff) but Sam's development is the first priority.

A comeback win on the road against a division opponent with some clutch throws is something for the young QB to build from.  In frigid buffalo, where rookie QBs never win too!

Agreed.... I wanted us to lose the rest of the games this season.  BUT, I was sitting there watching the game and cringed when Sam ran for x-rays.  Then when he came in I was happy and I though to myself, I know I wanted us to lose, but how beneficial is is to Sam?  Do we really want him to have the mentality that losing is all he is going to do for the rest of the season/career?  My mind has been changed and if the wins build his confidence and remind him why he is playing the game, then I hope we win every game for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Russell Wilson, Ricky Williams, Jameis Winston just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more.

Nice. Not sure why my mind blocked out Wilson.  It seems very likely to me that his career earning in baseball could very well have been lots more than his career earning in football end up being. Plus, unlike Williams and Winston, Wilson was not a top of the NFL draft selection. So, his choice of football over baseball is noteworthy.

But, Ricky Williams chose football because he was a bad baseball player...

He was not very good. Drafted in the eighth round out of high school in 1995, Williams spent parts of four summers playing the outfield in the Phillies’ farm system, balancing his baseball career with his obligation to the Longhorns. Though he hit .340 as a senior at Patrick Henry High School in San Diego, Williams never managed to turn his incredible athleticism into an offensive weapon on the baseball diamond.

Williams batted .211 with very little power across his minor league career, never advancing beyond Class A ball. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/remembering-ricky-williams-short-lived-baseball-career

IMO, the way Jameis is looking so far as a pro QB, perhaps he should have chosen baseball...

Once at the college level Jameis found more success coming out of the bullpen for the ‘Noles than he did at the plate. In over 50 appearances; both starting and out of the bullpen “Famous Jameis” finished with a 1.94 ERA  compared to his sluggish .209 career batting average. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=winsto001jam

This was a very encouraging game for Jets fans who have been getting antsy about Darnold.  He showed incredible poise, composure, and grit in this game and delivered like a champ when it mattered most in the 4th quarter.  This is exactly the kind of game experience Darnold needs to get the rest of the way to gain some confidence and hit the ground running in 2019.  This is also the reason why the suggestions of putting him in bubble wrap for the season prior to this game were ridiculous IMO.  Experience is the best teacher.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

It's hard to say really so far to go, but the top prospects are overwhelmingly on the defense and I've seen mocks where the edge rushers go 1-2.

You never know of course, but it seems like a draft where you can stick and pick and get what you want. 

Generally speaking if you want the Alabama tackle or the brown kid I think you want to be around 5

A trade down with Jax would work perfectly 

Archived