Wow. That win dropped us from first pick overall all the way to the 5th pick

Jetsbb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Torn on this one.  Hard to be upset when Darnold finally puts together a game winning drive instead of throwing another dumb pick.

That said, 4 spots is a big deal, and that #1 could have made a huge difference to this franchise as a trade piece.

Kinda wish Josh Allen ran all over the field one last time.

At the end of the day this win for Darnold probably matters less to how he performs in subsequent years than the potential haul from 1.1.

The potential part is the issue  We'd likely **** that part up so I'm inclined to take the bird in hand. 

If there was a generational type WR prospect in this draft id probably think otherwise.

I believe that the raiders and the falcons will each win another game. But I think we don't win another. Not beating the Texans or Pack at home. The Pats after todays loss to the Fins means they most likely will need to play their starters on the 30th.

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Torn on this one.  Hard to be upset when Darnold finally puts together a game winning drive instead of throwing another dumb pick.

That said, 4 spots is a big deal, and that #1 could have made a huge difference to this franchise as a trade piece.

Kinda wish Josh Allen ran all over the field one last time.

I'm not torn at all. This franchise needs to start winning. Period. End of story.

3 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Had we gotten stuffed at the 1 on 4th down how would that have impeded Darnolds development?

I root for Darnold. And as demented as this sounds, if he dropped back to pass on 4th and 1 I’d be rooting for him to fire a TD to someone.

But once he handed the ball off I was hoping we didn’t score. I’m fact I they called a play pass. We’re 3-9, let’s see what Darnold can do there.

Some fans are never satisfied and flip flop their arguments accordingly. Darnold leads a game winning drive in freezing buffalo against the #1 pass D to win the game. On that drive, he dropped a dime into Robby’s hands. The same group screaming for the # 1 pick would be killing darnold now for losing the game had it happened. Enjoy the ride and support the kid in his development which is way more important than picks. He plays for moments like today where he grows as a QB and a leader! Embrace the QB and stop focusing on draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You ladies act like the 5th pick is some kind of bum 

I think picking around 18th is worse, that means you were close to the playoffs, didn't make it, and now you get the 3rd best corner to show for it 

Picking 5th means they will be looking at the best LT in the draft, best WR or 2nd best edge rusher. 

We still have 3 weeks to go 

We still have free agency to go 

Getting panties in a bunch after Darnold's play today is weak, plain and simple 

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

I root for Darnold. And as demented as this sounds, if he dropped back to pass on 4th and 1 I’d be rooting for him to fire a TD to someone.

But once he handed the ball off I was hoping we didn’t score. I’m fact I they called a play pass. We’re 3-9, let’s see what Darnold can do there.

IMHO this is wrong thinking.  Remember Sam has the ability to read the defense and to audible out if he thinks it best.  This TD was on him as much as the dude he handed it off to.  

18 minutes ago, CTM said:

At the end of the day this win for Darnold probably matters less to how he performs in subsequent years than the potential haul from 1.1.

The potential part is the issue  We'd likely **** that part up so I'm inclined to take the bird in hand. 

If there was a generational type WR prospect in this draft id probably think otherwise.

That's probably true.  Darnold will be what he is, regardless of this game.  But, for those of us who haven't jumped on board yet, it was reassuring to see, and frankly, hard not to root for him to do when he's got the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game.

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

IMHO this is wrong thinking.  Remember Sam has the ability to read the defense and to audible out if he thinks it best.  This TD was on him as much as the dude he handed it off to.  

Respectfully disagree. 

Also a stretch play there - I know it worked - but I just had that call from one yard out. 

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

That's probably true.  Darnold will be what he is, regardless of this game.  But, for those of us who haven't jumped on board yet, it was reassuring to see, and frankly, hard not to root for him to do when he's got the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game.

Great post.

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Remember when everyone was mad the jets won in Tennessee about 4 years ago to cost us Winston and mariota? Yeah that worked out alright as I’d much rather have Sam than those two guys. Blessings in disguise sometimes

I hate both of these QBs and since we needed one at the time, we would have drafted one if given the opportunity so that was a blessing in disguise. 

I think the “tank” or high pick crowd wants it to trade down, not just take the top player. We have multiple holes and missing our 2nd rounder so any replenishment of picks while still staying in top 10 range would have possibly solved a lot ore issues/filled holes. Otherwise 1 player is a crapshoot and shouldn’t be hugely different from 1-5 or wherever we pick. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I believe Darnold will play well in the last three games of the season. I just think the Texans, Packers, and Patriots will all outscore the Jets. All three of those teams have much better quarterback play than the Bills. The Jets D will not do well against Watson, Rodgers, and especially Brady at Gillette Stadium.

Who's scared of any of those teams? The Packers minus Rodgers are hot garbage, the Texas are just average, and the Jets always play the Pats close home or away.

The best scenario for today was Darnold leading us to a comeback lead with under two minutes and then Bowles defense  folding yet again and blowing the lead.

It builds upon Sams confidence while allowing us too move up in the draft order. It would also put another nail in Bowles and Maccs coffin.

Just wait until Sams blind side protector for the next decade gets picked one spot ahead of us next year. This victory will be so worth it then #moralvictories

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Tough trading down anyway. We just take best WR or LT when we pick. That is what we need. Then with FA see if we can get some others on O and maybe a pass rusher. Then with the 2 3rd rounders more Oline and O skill position players. Maybe we can then actually improve further next year.

+1. When has Mac ever traded down, or anyone wanted to be trade up partners with us? 

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

The best scenario for today was Darnold leading us to a comeback lead with under two minutes and then Bowles defense  folding yet again and blowing the lead.

It builds upon Sams confidence while allowing us too move up in the draft order. It would also put another nail in Bowles and Maccs coffin.

Just wait until Sams blind side protector for the next decade gets picked one spot ahead of us next year. This victory will be so worth it then #moralvictories

OL is not a top strength in this draft. So that wont happen

At the of this season, someone we employ as GM will need to hire a coach and attract some FAs.

That will be a ton easier if folks think (as many of us do here) that the Jets possess their franchise qb.

Sam winning in the freezing Buffalo temps, driving his team in the 4th qtr is exactly what we need to happen. 

Just now, ryu79 said:

At the of this season, someone we employ as GM will need to hire a coach and attract some FAs.

That will be a ton easier if folks think (as many of us do here) that the Jets possess their franchise qb.

Sam winning in the freezing Buffalo temps, driving his team in the 4th qtr is exactly what we need to happen. 

Very good point. This gets coaching candidates attention

Don't care about draft position if Darnold plays like this the
final three games of the season.  He showed everything you want
in your rookie QB:

- Toughness to play through being hurt
- The ability to bounce back after a bad first half
- Playing in cold weather against a stout defense
- Poise to lead a game winning drive
- Strong arm and accuracy
- The ability to create plays "off script"

Archived