Wow. That win dropped us from first pick overall all the way to the 5th pick

Jetsbb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

If you’re looking for an offensive player it’s best we pick in the middle/back end of the top 10 anyway

Here is a better idea, trade the #1 overall pick for the 10th overall a 2nd and a 4th rounder this year and another 1st the year after.

1 minute ago, 20andOut said:

Typical Jets fans. Miserable when we lose. Find a reason to be miserable when we win.

The thing is dude, how many times have the Jets done exactly the same thing.  Win a meaningless game in a lost season and have a feel good one week and then at draft day lament we could have been.

When you have the #1 pick and your QB you really do control the draft.  We have a LOT of holes and the 1st overall pick either gets you a dominant player or huge resources to fill those holes.

This year above all others the 'we should have lost beef' is very valid.

8 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Good teams find good players anyplace in the draft. This isnt the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The more high picks you have the better it is and many of really good teams we see now have had drafts with multiple high  picks which is just what the jets could have accomplished if we had the #1 overall pick.

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

Don't care about draft position if Darnold plays like this the
final three games of the season.  He showed everything you want
in your rookie QB:

- Toughness to play through being hurt
- The ability to bounce back after a bad first half
- Playing in cold weather against a stout defense
- Poise to lead a game winning drive
- Strong arm and accuracy
- The ability to create plays "off script"

Who is his help next year and the year after?

I for one did not need thus game to tell me we had our QB.  I was confident the day he was drafted.  Now all we have to do is add some good pieces and the #1 pick would have been the very best way to do that.

The thing is dude, how many times have the Jets done exactly the same thing.  Win a meaningless game in a lost season and have a feel good one week and then at draft day lament we could have been.
When you have the #1 pick and your QB you really do control the draft.  We have a LOT of holes and the 1st overall pick either gets you a dominant player or huge resources to fill those holes.

How did the Pats build a dynasty without the top overall pick? Its not needed dude. Good coaching, and good drafting are what this team needs.

The more high picks you have the better it is and many of really good teams we see now have had drafts with multiple high  picks which is just what the jets could have accomplished if we had the #1 overall pick.

Like who? What teams are you referring to? Go back and look. Good players are found throughout the draft. Not just in the top 5.

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

How did the Pats build a dynasty without the top overall pick? Its not needed dude. Good coaching, and good drafting are what this team needs.

Quick question  for you.

Do you have a better chance of success drafting 5th overall in a draft or having the 1st pick and turning it into say 4 picks?

Pretty easy question, draft resources.  Simple math, your odds are higher to hitting on more picks if you have higher vs lower resources.

Then it comes down to, hmmm in a year when the team is doing nothing and has been a disgrace for much of the year is it better to beat buffalo in a meaningless game or is it better to have more resources.

Cleveland on the upswing, the Rams big time.

What about some teams that have actually won something? Eagles didnt build their whole team on high picks. As a matter of fact they gave up a ton to move up. There is no correlation man. Now there is a correlation with having MORE picks and drafting better. That certainly can be argued easily.

It's definitely disappointing, especially if Bosa turns out to be a Mack/Donald level game changer. However, Darnold played well, threw it deep, made plays escaping the pocket AND there will 100% be a star available at 3-5, plus I'd prefer to go OL or WR anyway. I think I'd be more upset if Darnold got bullied by the #1 pass defense and threw 3 or 4 picks even if we got the #1 pick. 

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Here is a better idea, trade the #1 overall pick for the 10th overall a 2nd and a 4th rounder this year and another 1st the year after.

What if you can’t find a trade up partner? Who’s the can’t miss prospect? Everybody trades up for quarterbacks ... who’s that guy this year?

It's definitely disappointing, especially if Bosa turns out to be a Mack/Donald level game changer. However, Darnold played well, threw it deep, made plays escaping the pocket AND there will 100% be a star available at 3-5, plus I'd prefer to go OL or WR anyway. I think I'd be more upset if Darnold got bullied by the #1 pass defense and threw 3 or 4 picks even if we got the #1 pick. 

If hes anything like the rest of his family we dont need to worry. We need guys who play more than 7 games a year.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You're not going to win this argument Beerfish, you just are not.

Players play to win games.  If they didn't, you don't want them on your team...PERIOD.

26 minutes ago, RSJ said:

How many teams out of 32 are like the Patriots? Look at all of Belichick's assistants who became head coaches and weren't successfull. I'm sure they had every intention of replicating the Patriots way, but as we know it's easier said than done. The best way to get good is to have more swings early and often in the draft. Jets need to restock their team with draft picks. Free agency is not the way you build a championship team. Winning in Buffalo today was a battle won, but it didn't do any favors for our long-term goals. I'll say this, before this season I have never once wanted the Jets to lose, however, I feel right now more than ever our Jets are at a crossroads, and landing the top pick or even a top 3 pick can have a profound impact on the franchise a year after drafting Darnold. We can really shape this franchise into a winner with a complete rebranding from top to bottom. New GM, new coach who reports to the GM, top 3 pick, new uniforms and all of this with a franchise quarterback in place. We'll either take off and become a winning franchise, or we'll stay the same ol' Jets. It's all up to Christopher Johnson's commitment to winning. 

The Bears had a rookie QB last year w/ coach about to be fired.  they had 3 wins entering December and won twice in December beating 2 bad teams to get to 5-11.  Today they are 9-4 after beating the previous 1 loss Rams last night and they are on their way to a div title and a playoff berth w/ a 2nd year starting QB.  The future couldn't be brighter for those guys and they did it w/o tanking.

If we keep winning, Sam keeps developing and gaining confidence it will be so much more important than getting another top 5 pick.

7 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

How many teams out of 32 are like the Patriots? Look at all of Belichick's assistants who became head coaches and weren't successfull. I'm sure they had every intention of replicating the Patriots way, but as we know it's easier said than done. The best way to get good is to have more swings early and often in the draft. Jets need to restock their team with draft picks. Free agency is not the way you build a championship team. Winning in Buffalo today was a battle won, but it didn't do any favors for our long-term goals. I'll say this, before this season I have never once wanted the Jets to lose, however, I feel right now more than ever our Jets are at a crossroads, and landing the top pick or even a top 3 pick can have a profound impact on the franchise a year after drafting Darnold. We can really shape this franchise into a winner with a complete rebranding from top to bottom. New GM, new coach who reports to the GM, top 3 pick, new uniforms and all of this with a franchise quarterback in place. We'll either take off and become a winning franchise, or we'll stay the same ol' Jets. It's all up to Christopher Johnson's commitment to winning. 

How many are like the Patriots? How about how many are like the Jets? A half dozen or so perennial bottom dwellers who make themselves feel better this time of year by accumulating high draft picks that don't necessarily help the team. Cleveland only recently digging themselves out of a hole of historic proportions. 

Instead of the Pats, look at the Steelers. Could anyone suggest their success is based on strategic losing during weak seasons? Absurd.

The Jets do this every year they are bad. Start at 500ish, suck hard after midseason/bye, and then eek out a meaningless win at the end of the year. Just be thankful it didn’t happen in the last game. 

I just assume this is going to happen now and adjust my expectations. Besides, #BigMac is staying so really we’re in for a wild ride anyways. 

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The Jets do this every year they are bad. Start at 500ish, suck hard after midseason/bye, and then eek out a meaningless win at the end of the year. Just be thankful it didn’t happen in the last game. 

I just assume this is going to happen now and adjust my expectations. Besides, #BigMac is staying so really we’re in for a wild ride anyways. 

Exactly.  We got officially eliminated from the playoffs on Thursday and we (of course) win the next game, costing us the lead for the #1 overall pick.  What could be more Jetsy!

Archived