Sam has elite accuracy

nico002

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Time will tell. Considering everything that has not gone well with the offense this year, and McCown coming in for a couple weeks to solidify the fact that our offense’s failures are not the Jets rookie QB, Darnold needs time like every other QB in this league. Some start slow, some look great their first year. Think about when RGIII came into the league, Kaep, Carr even Dak. Many thought they would be the next Montana or Brady. Others with a not so great rookie season like Payton Manning panned out pretty well. I think years 3 and 4 is the make or break years as to whether a QB is truly going to be a career standout or just another flash in the pan. Progress is the key. Just getting better as a whole. He’s got good bounce back which I like. He doesn’t seem to rattle during heavy pressure, recovers well after int’s, extends plays. All pluses in my book. He could be the One. Tighten up the O-line, give him a couple more WR’s with good talent and mix it up with a solid ground game and he might be great. If he had an Amari Cooper, or an Antonio Brown to throw to it could hurt either.

If we could trade back & get AJ Brown, sign Eli Rogers or Humphrey’s & sign Bell?

look out baby! Reup Q cheap & tender Robbie with a 2nd rounder? Sign Trent Brown away from the Pats & draft the best college center at the top of the 3rd?

All of these things are possible!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think elite takes consistency and we've havent seen consistency yet from Sam.  His ball placement is excellent though.  This offense is garbage and it seems like anytime he's throwing the ball downfield, it's a high level of difficulty throw ie; 3rd and long to the sideline on a corner or out route.  It's like they never give him some easy read/safe throws.  

The only thing I think that is elite with Sam is his pocket presence.  It's natural and very few can escape the way he can and then deliver the ball on point.  That TD to Robby, that's the mark of a very special player.  You cant teach that and very few QB's on this planet can make that play.

There's a lot to like about Darnold. He's not there yet, but with the right coaching, he can become elite. His ceiling is incredibly high. His floor is slightly above Mark Sanchez.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If we could trade back & get AJ Brown, sign Eli Rogers or Humphrey’s & sign Bell?

look out baby! Reup Q cheap & tender Robbie with a 2nd rounder? Sign Trent Brown away from the Pats & draft the best college center at the top of the 3rd?

All of these things are possible!

Jetster  for GM!

Maybe a little credit to Robby and Herndon, both have made some plays. It seems most weeks Herndon is making a spectacular grab, just need to be getting him the ball more regularly and Anderson has kept his head down, worked through the trash of the mid-season and yesterday he did the hard yards. 

‘Very promising 4th Q from Sam and for sure he showed some chops on a couple of those throws but let’s hear it for the WR’s too

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Did you go take a pee during the pass he threw directly to the defender? 

Could he have made a better pass to the defender? 

Still elite ?

100th to the bad joke ?

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Jetster  for GM!

Could you imagine Sam lining up behind center, Trent Brown at LT, Long, Stud Center, Winters, Shell. Skill players- Bell, McGuire & Cannon are cheap RBs, Herndon & Sterling are cheap TEs, AJ Brown, Rogers or Humphries, Quincy, Anderson at WRs. Be a fun 2019. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That TD to Robby, that's the mark of a very special player.  You cant teach that and very few QB's on this planet can make that play.

Care to tell us what other planets have QBs that can make that play?  The info might get you a few bucks from some NFL teams' scouting departments.

41 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

There's a lot to like about Darnold. He's not there yet, but with the right coaching, he can become elite. His ceiling is incredibly high. His floor is slightly above Mark Sanchez.

He's 21.  Been playing the position for 3 years.  It's fine he's not there yet and the reality is, he might not be "elite" at anything for a few years.  And that's ok as long as the Jets surround him with everything he needs to succeed.  OL, Weaponz, Coaching.

What he does off script is very exciting.  Stuff most QB's could never ever do.  And apparently he's able to process and go through his reads like a boss.  Hard for us as fans to see that and hard to believe with all the picks but if any bit of that is true, that's pretty encouraging when you factor in the rest. 

2 minutes ago, CM28 said:

Could he have made a better pass to the defender? 

Still elite ?

Please stop. The Bills defense is ranked 3rd overall & 1st against the pass. They beat Cousins &  (40-55 296 yards, a pick, 2 fumbles). Goff & Trubisky had 3 picks apiece last night. Sam plays with guys that get very little separation. He plays behind a very average Oline compared to the Rams & Bears, perspective please.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's 21.  Been playing the position for 3 years.  It's fine he's not there yet and the reality is, he might not be "elite" at anything for a few years.  And that's ok as long as the Jets surround him with everything he needs to succeed. 

This.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's 21.  Been playing the position for 3 years.  It's fine he's not there yet and the reality is, he might not be "elite" at anything for a few years.  And that's ok as long as the Jets surround him with everything he needs to succeed.  OL, Weaponz, Coaching.

What he does off script is very exciting.  Stuff most QB's could never ever do.  And apparently he's able to process and go through his reads like a boss.  Hard for us as fans to see that and hard to believe with all the picks but if any bit of that is true, that's pretty encouraging when you factor in the rest. 

When accurate QBs start seeing the field, know the plays,  the presnap defensive schemes, reading the Mike & safeties, the game becomes much easier. Like you said the kid is 21 years old & literally is a neophyte QB. Let's see what happens when we tighten up the line in front of him & surround him with play Makers at every position. Le'veon Bell alone would spread defenders out from side to side! Bell vs a LB in the flat? Lol, we'll take it! All of sudden slants to someone like Humphries are pitch & catch! Or a guy like AJ Brown running a route under an Anderson clear out. It's gonna be sweet when we Sam gets it & has a creative OC.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Could you imagine Sam lining up behind center, Trent Brown at LT, Long, Stud Center, Winters, Shell. Skill players- Bell, McGuire & Cannon are cheap RBs, Herndon & Sterling are cheap TEs, AJ Brown, Rogers or Humphries, Quincy, Anderson at WRs. Be a fun 2019. 

Please email this plan directly to the Jets front office.

3 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Please email this plan directly to the Jets front office.

If you think about it, the only really expensive part of that plan is Bell. Eli Rogers is coming off an ACL? or Humphries wont be that expensive, Quincys value has really plummeted with his injuries, Anderson can be tendered at a 2nd round, AJ Brown would be on a rookie contract, Herndon & Sterling are cheap, McGuire & Cannon are cheap. So, your largest outlay of free agency cash is Bell & Trent Brown if the Pats don't franchise him (They might not because they picked Isaiah Wynn at 23 in the 1st in 2018.). That leaves some dough to fill in on defense & get some pass rushers.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

When accurate QBs start seeing the field, know the plays,  the presnap defensive schemes, reading the Mike & safeties, the game becomes much easier. Like you said the kid is 21 years old & literally is a neophyte QB. Let's see what happens when we tighten up the line in front of him & surround him with play Makers at every position. Le'veon Bell alone would spread defenders out from side to side! Bell vs a LB in the flat? Lol, we'll take it! All of sudden slants to someone like Humphries are pitch & catch! Or a guy like AJ Brown running a route under an Anderson clear out. It's gonna be sweet when we Sam gets it & has a creative OC.

You make it sound so easy...

...looks back at 35 years of being a Jets fan...

...pukes

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If you think about it, the only really expensive part of that plan is Bell. Eli Rogers is coming off an ACL? or Humphries wont be that expensive, Quincys value has really plummeted with his injuries, Anderson can be tendered at a 2nd round, AJ Brown would be on a rookie contract, Herndon & Sterling are cheap, McGuire & Cannon are cheap. So, your largest outlay of free agency cash is Bell & Trent Brown if the Pats don't franchise him (They might not because they picked Isaiah Wynn at 23 in the 1st in 2018.). That leaves some dough to fill in on defense & get some pass rushers.

If we got the 60th pick in the 2020 draft (approximate trade value of very late 3rd rounder / mid-90s overall pick this year) are you content with that? Because if he's still merely tagged with no new contract, and then a top-ranked, SB-caliber team inks him long term on day 3 of the draft (or after that), then I think that's what we get.

I don't know how crazy I'd be about that. We have so little at the position I don't think we could afford losing someone with actual talent for a pick a year later.

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I completely agree with you.  I wasn't being sarcastic when I said please email your plan to the front office.  I think everyone should copy and paste the plan and email it to the Jets FO.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

You make it sound so easy...

...looks back at 35 years of being a Jets fan...

...pukes

Its about having PLAYERS. Sanchez looked serviceable handing off to LT & Greene, throwing to Holmes, Edwards & Cotchery, hell, Herndon is a much better TE than Cumberland! 

It would make things a helluva lot easier for Sam with Bell-McGuire, AJ Brown-Humphries-Q- Robbie, Herndon-Sterling. Just imagine Mark Sanchez as a rookie, behind our oline, on the road in Buffalo, throwing to Kearse,Q, Robbie, Herndon & handing off to McGuire, down 14-3. Now does it make sense? 

39 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Please stop. The Bills defense is ranked 3rd overall & 1st against the pass. They beat Cousins &  (40-55 296 yards, a pick, 2 fumbles). Goff & Trubisky had 3 picks apiece last night. Sam plays with guys that get very little separation. He plays behind a very average Oline compared to the Rams & Bears, perspective please.

Easy there tiger. I made a lazy ass attempt to be funny. I’m semi drunk and super tired since I’ve been out celebrating the rare win. 

Now leave me alone...Jetster?!

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If we got the 60th pick in the 2020 draft (approximate trade value of very late 3rd rounder / mid-90s overall pick this year) are you content with that? Because if he's still merely tagged with no new contract, and then a top-ranked, SB-caliber team inks him long term on day 3 of the draft (or after that), then I think that's what we get.

I don't know how crazy I'd be about that. We have so little at the position I don't think we could afford losing someone with actual talent for a pick a year later.

YES! There are other WRs with image problems in the league that will be available. Always are. Martavius Bryant for one?

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

YES! There are other WRs with image problems in the league that will be available. Always are. Martavius Bryant for one?

Bryant has more than mere image problems IMO, and combining that with a year of familiarity with Darnold I don't know how eager I'd be to make that swap where we sit right now, but to each his own. Plus there's no guarantee we get Bryant anyway. If it was so simple we'd have inked one of the WRs we went after last year, too. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bryant has more than mere image problems IMO, and combining that with a year of familiarity with Darnold I don't know how eager I'd be to make that swap where we sit right now, but to each his own. Plus there's no guarantee we get Bryant anyway. If it was so simple we'd have inked one of the WRs we went after last year, too. 

Its easier to sign troubled WRs looking for redemption IF you have a QB they think can help them resurrect their careers. Fitz? McCown? Darnold being here makes a difference.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

You are what your record says you are.

"Elite", lol.  

It's almost like some Jets Fans see one or two good plays, and suddenly it's like we're reading "Teen Beat" the way folks gush with unquestioning enthusiastic homerism......

Unlike you, who called Darnold a weak armed, noodle armed QB and compared his arm to Chads.

Called him an INT machine at USC.  While claiming to have wanted Watson

You have some pair whining about people drawing conclusions

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sam gets more accurate the more under duress he is.  That td pass yesterday I won’t shut up about it it was phenomenal 

Just to comment, that scramble pass the only other QBs I see that can do that are Mahomes, Wilson, and Rogers, and even Rogers is no longer as fluid at doing it since he doesn't move like these other 3 (well they are younger and less beat up).

It wouldn't have surprised me if Darnold was at least 50% better playing for the Cowboys his rookie year.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you want to live the dream, live the dream my friend.  

But why stop at "elite", why not just go full bore and call it "Hall of Fame level accuracy".

If you're going to go all in, go all in.  12 TD vs. 15 INT's, 55.9%, that's like so ELITE man.

I am not putting Sam in the HOF but focusing on stats with Darnold this season is completely ludicrous. Goff and Trubisky threw what 6 interceptions yesterday, but because Darnold has one washout game of 4 INTs all of a sudden he is a bust? Because that game is all people seem to remember about Sam.

I think he has been FAR better than his statistics. It is impossible to analyze Darnold without truly looking at his situation. He has a mediocre OL, and he played 3 games where the center really couldnt even snap the ball. Watch other QBs on plays with bad snaps and they fall apart, yet Darnold was facing a bad snap almost every time.

The receivers are maybe the worst group in the NFL. We may not have anyone better than an OK #2 receiver on the team, and most are well below that. 

But then you add in injuries to the mix and its almost amazing Darnold completes a pass at all. His two game "bad" streak was in a time when the center could not snap the ball, our best receivers were injured, we released Pryor. It was seriously 4th preseason game level, and we are surprised a developing QB struggled those 2 games? Please.

He has consistently shown high level skills in movement, accuracy, anticipation, moving through his reads, throwing on the run, avoiding the rush and stepping up in the pocket,  pocket awareness, command of the huddle and ability to bounce back from mistakes.

But let's grade him on interceptions, with a third of those coming in 2 days when he had NO TALENT AT ALL around him.

He is doing everything can ask in a rookie QB. He just has not talent around him. And grading him solely on INTs is ludicrous. Can you honestly not tell me that Darnold is not light years ahead of Sanchez, Geno, and even McClown in the eye test?

I will tell you this: put him on KC, or LA or Dallas and we would be amazed at his performance.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you want to live the dream, live the dream my friend.  

But why stop at "elite", why not just go full bore and call it "Hall of Fame level accuracy".

If you're going to go all in, go all in.  12 TD vs. 15 INT's, 55.9%, that's like so ELITE man.

Yeah, I don't get the fawning over Darnold either.  Elite?  Come on folks.  Give it a friggin' rest.

His INT was an absolutely awful throw/decision.   Darnold actually got lucky earlier in the game when he literally hit the Bills' defender in the chest with another horrible pass.  If the defender had any ball skills at all, he would have had a pick 6.  Rookie or not, way too many picks.  

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I don't get the fawning over Darnold either.  Elite?  Come on folks.  Give it a friggin' rest.

His INT was an absolutely awful throw/decision.   Darnold actually got lucky earlier in the game when he literally hit the Bills' defender in the chest with another horrible pass.  If the defender had any ball skills at all, he would have had a pick 6.  Rookie or not, way too many picks.  

I agree that it doesn't show much, but his flashes are actually flashes of dropping balls in perfectly.  He has done it even on the run or from awkward angles.  He has to be more consistent for it to matter, but his flashes are very different than Browning Nagle's. 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

yeah lets grade him purely on interceptions....so dumb. But thats fantasy football for you. Half the people here would have cut Namath,

Just now, johnnysd said:

yeah lets grade him purely on interceptions....so dumb. But thats fantasy football for you. Half the people here would have cut Namath,

WTF are you talking about?  Who graded him, dopey?  I just commented on him being "elite".  You want to ignore the picks?  Fine.  Enjoy the ride.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that it doesn't show much, but his flashes are actually flashes of dropping balls in perfectly.  He has done it even on the run or from awkward angles.  He has to be more consistent for it to matter, but his flashes are very different than Browning Nagle's. 

Totally agree.  He's done some nice things including yesterday's sideline throw.

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

What does a bad decision have to do with accuracy?

Any more than if youre really accurate delivering the ball that it has to be done for a few years before someone says youre accurate.  

People are confusing accuracy with elite play.  

Archived