Sam has elite accuracy

nico002

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

yeah lets grade him purely on interceptions....so dumb. But thats fantasy football for you. Half the people here would have cut Namath,

As opposed to judging him on three or five cherry picked throws and blaming everything else on everyone else?

As usual, the truth lies in between the lolhomers and the haters.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does a bad decision have to do with accuracy?

Any more than if youre really accurate delivering the ball that it has to be done for a few years before someone says youre accurate.  

People are confusing accuracy with elite play.  

They are sometimes intertwined.  The QB decides to throw to a spot/receiver.  If the pass is not accurately delivered, it's either incomplete or intercepted.

you guys are overrating the stupidity of the interception. It was 3rd and 9 and the pick essentially served as a good punt. An incomplete pass probably results in a 50+ fg in sub 30 degree weather or perhaps even a punt by Bowles. Look it was a bad play but I have a feeling darnold was trying to make something happen when options were limited regardless.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

They are sometimes intertwined.  The QB decides to throw to a spot/receiver.  If the pass is not accurately delivered, it's either incomplete or intercepted.

Yep. Allen’s best completion of the day was on a brutally under thrown ball. 

6 hours ago, nico002 said:

Don’t let the completion percentage fool you. 

This is the one thing that really has jumped out at me this year.

It not just good- the guy is one of the most accurate throwers Ive seen, especially on the move.

three throws jump out at me from an accuracy standpoint:

1) pass to the right sideline to Herndon- he put it where only he could catch with with the defender all over the receiver 

2) scramble TD pass

3) deep pass to Robby 

Elite???

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I don't get the fawning over Darnold either.  Elite?  Come on folks.  Give it a friggin' rest.

His INT was an absolutely awful throw/decision.   Darnold actually got lucky earlier in the game when he literally hit the Bills' defender in the chest with another horrible pass.  If the defender had any ball skills at all, he would have had a pick 6.  Rookie or not, way too many picks.  

If you're going to provide us with your insightful counterpoints, at least be accurate. The ball did not hit him in the chest. It glanced off his hands after the receiver fell down.

Yes, Sam is accurate. And, yes he has good pocket awareness, And, yes he can make all of the throws required to be a successful NFL QB. And, yes he is still green behind the ears with lots to learn. But, anyone who has ever coached at any level know that there are certain kids that are just winners. The bounces just seem to go their way more often than not.  And when they need to make a play, they do. The bottom line here is that Sam is a winner. He directed two late 4th quarter TD drives of 85 yards and 61 yards to tie and then win the game.  Why? Because the kid is a winner.  And winning, just like losing, is infectious. Hopefully, Sam's winning ways will spread like a venereal disease through a whore house to the rest of the team and organization. Lord knows we need it because a buncha losers currently occupy office space at 1 Jet Drive in Florham Park.  

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If you're going to provide us with your insightful counterpoints, at least be accurate. The ball did not hit him in the chest. It glanced off his hands after the receiver fell down.

Exactly... Kearse friggin slipped on the play. That play is designed to be thrown before the WR makes his cut back/gets open...

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Elite skills. A rare ability to throw with placement and anticipation. 

Elite accuracy, skills and rare ability? 

Watching the game last night I came away feeling good that we got a QB that fought through injury and had a pretty nice 4th qtr. 

Instead of criticizing your comments, I'd rather ask you how did you come to this determination. 

Elite accuracy to me is Drew Brees

Elite Skills to me is prime Aaron Rodgers

rare ability to me is Pat Mahomes. 

looking at the names next to those attributes I think no one would disagree that those names fit, because those names display those attributes weekly. 

I cant say the same for Sam. I cant conclude that he's elite or a rare breed in any of those categories. 

I think that Sam had a good game and bounced back from some mistakes and the Jets won the game. Lets not jump out a window here

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Elite accuracy, skills and rare ability? 

Watching the game last night I came away feeling good that we got a QB that fought through injury and had a pretty nice 4th qtr. 

Instead of criticizing your comments, I'd rather ask you how did you come to this determination. 

Elite accuracy to me is Drew Brees

Elite Skills to me is prime Aaron Rodgers

rare ability to me is Pat Mahomes. 

looking at the names next to those attributes I think no one would disagree that those names fit, because those names display those attributes weekly. 

I cant say the same for Sam. I cant conclude that he's elite or a rare breed in any of those categories. 

I think that Sam had a good game and bounced back from some mistakes and the Jets won the game. Lets not jump out a window here

Darnold is like combining the best parts of those 3, multiplying it by 4 and packaging it in a sleak, sexy, fire topped 21 yo body 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Thats not what we're, or at least I was talking about.  You can be accurate and not be elite.  Chad was accurate, even when his arm ripped apart but wasnt an elite QB

51 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Elite skills. A rare ability to throw with placement and anticipation. 

Out of curiosity, among the current crop of QBs, where would you rank Sam's elite ability to anticipate and place the ball where it should go? Top 5, top 10, top 20....?

22 minutes ago, jbone said:

Out of curiosity, among the current crop of QBs, where would you rank Sam's elite ability to anticipate and place the ball where it should go? Top 5, top 10, top 20....?

I’m not comparing him to other more experienced or polished QBs. I’m saying that he has elite talent when it comes to throwing with accuracy and anticipation. He’s as good as any 21 year old I’ve ever seen. He’s obviously not fully baked as a player and needs to improve in several areas- but the skills to me jump off the screen ...

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Go to approx. 5:00 in the video.  Like during the game, looks like it goes through the Bills' defender and hits him in the chest.  Either way, I think you'll agree that it was an awful throw/decision.

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Don’t let the completion percentage fool you. 

This is the one thing that really has jumped out at me this year.

It not just good- the guy is one of the most accurate throwers Ive seen, especially on the move.

three throws jump out at me from an accuracy standpoint:

1) pass to the right sideline to Herndon- he put it where only he could catch with with the defender all over the receiver 

2) scramble TD pass

3) deep pass to Robby 

Although I made a post (in another thread) basically bitching about Darnolds completion percentage I agree with this to an extent.

Darnold is very very good on the run and I would agree he's one of the best I've seen in that category. I also feel when Darnold has the time he's very accurate, however his biggest flaw IMHO is that he does throw off his back foot more often than I would like which in turn hurts his accuracy and that's due to mechanics more than him not being an accurate thrower of the football . Now with passes under 15 yards I really don't mind throws off the back foot but during the year and on most of his interceptions  he threw the ball downfield off his back foot and that's not a good thing at all and he has to learn in that situation he needs to just throw the ball away. Yes some were late game throws in desperation but I'm not talking about those throws since you don't have much of a choice.

I think Darnold needs to work on stepping up into the pocket more and that will come with time. It seems his best throws come on the run and when He steps up. His problems occur when he's backing up to avoid the rush when he's contained or hurried. Receivers moving to help the QB can help here as well giving Darnold more options when he does get out of his comfort zone.

Bottom line is Darnold is going to be fine he just needs to be coached up. Some may say Bates was a good QB coach but he sucks as an OC and due to the fact he's an OC that has to take time away he would otherwise be spending with Darnold as a QB coach. 

Next year hopefully there are big changes,  number 1 being Todd Blowes is out the door and we get some coaches who can mold Darnold into what he should be and how he looked in the first few games as opposed to the regression we saw going on after the first 1/4 of the season.

He has the potential to be a great one lets hope this crap ass organization doesn't ruin him before he reaches his potential. That means get freakin Leveon Bell in here and a WR that can be relied upon to make the tough catch and move the chains, draft OL and skill players across the board on offense and get this team where it needs to be.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Go to approx. 5:00 in the video.  Like during the game, looks like it goes through the Bills' defender and hits him in the chest.  Either way, I think you'll agree that it was an awful throw/decision.

The replay they showed during the game was a field level closeup, and it showed basically what I described in my previous post. Not a good throw, but Kearse falling down made it look worse than it was. 

Yesterday was what we were waiting for! 

The scramble and TD pass then the 2 minute drive to take the lead and a WIN 

on the road in freezing Temps with no gloves! 

Came back from an injury! 

Bounced back from an ugly pick as well 

Great great great day for our team fellas! 

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

you guys are overrating the stupidity of the interception. It was 3rd and 9 and the pick essentially served as a good punt. An incomplete pass probably results in a 50+ fg in sub 30 degree weather or perhaps even a punt by Bowles. Look it was a bad play but I have a feeling darnold was trying to make something happen when options were limited regardless.

Again with the punting? ? if we go by your reasoning, we have another Ray Guy on our hands here!!! 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Crazy nico is crazy

Crazy in love, LOL. But what the hell, give him credit for sticking by Darnold through thick and thin. He’s been the biggest Sam fan since day one, and the kid QB looked pretty damn good in the 4th quarter leading us back to a nice win yesterday. Nobody loves to tease @nico002 more then I do, and I’ve been known to bring up Sam’s ints once or twice, but today is a day to feel good about what we might have here with Sam. Good for you, nico.

46 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Crazy in love, LOL. But what the hell, give him credit for sticking by Darnold through thick and thin. He’s been the biggest Sam fan since day one, and the kid QB looked pretty damn good in the 4th quarter leading us back to a nice win yesterday. Nobody loves to tease @nico002 more then I do, and I’ve been known to bring up Sam’s ints once or twice, but today is a day to feel good about what we might have here with Sam. Good for you, nico.

You can be happy about it and still remain somewhat objective or sorta normal without going full on psychward.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You can be happy about it and still remain somewhat objective or sorta normal without going full on psychward.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Agree 100% but are you surprised after reading his Sam posts this season? To say he has a man crush would be understating it. LOL. A few of us have made comments about Sam needing an Order of Protection from him. 

21 hours ago, Larz said:

Yesterday was what we were waiting for! 

The scramble and TD pass then the 2 minute drive to take the lead and a WIN 

on the road in freezing Temps with no gloves! 

Came back from an injury! 

Bounced back from an ugly pick as well 

Great great great day for our team fellas! 

When we do exactly this in Foxboro then we can call it a great day

13 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold definitely has excellent accuracy when he's on the move.  He needs to work on his decision making and learn how to eat the ball or throw it away instead of trying to force it into coverage.  Once he figures that out, look out!  

I actually think his completion percentage is understated because he does throw the ball away a lot.

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

When we do exactly this is Foxboro then we can call it a great day

Oh gawd. 

You have no credibility where quarterbacks are concerned. 

You can only beat who is in front of you. Leading a come from behind win on the road against a team that completed obliterated them just 28 days earlier is impressive. 

Your precious Chad never did sh*t like that. 

5 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Oh gawd. 

You have no credibility where quarterbacks are concerned. 

You can only beat who is in front of you. Leading a come from behind win on the road against a team that completed obliterated them just 28 days earlier is impressive. 

Your precious Chad never did sh*t like that. 

Dude please with this Chad crap The one thing this organisation needs to move on and become a winner goes through Foxboro I don't give a damn who the QB is that's the only way this team moves on. I'm not sure why you responded to my post with this crap troll sh*t.

Just because I had some optimism about past QB's does not mean I don't know anything about the position. Just like people see flashes with Darnold does not mean there were not the same flashes with past QB's ... So Chad tore up his arm early and never reached his full potential that's no reason to continue to bash him or my assessment of him. Stop living in 2005 and move on already/

And when it comes to Impressive..... a Bills win is not very impressive, the way Darnold drove us for the win was Impressive. Losing to that same team in a blowout was just downright disgraceful so don't use that as part of you're example /

Archived