Reggie Mckenzie

CotcheryifyouCan

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How many owners are football guys?  How many winning teams are owned by football guys?  J Jones thinks he is.  Who are the paper pushers who are surrounding Chris and I assume you think make football decisions.  This is as cliche as it gets.  

Again, how many football people do you need under ownership?  GM, check.  Add a VP position, ok.  How about 2 of them, should be better.  I dont see the importance other that it sounds like 2 heads are better than one.  

Lets actually let Chris make a football decision that affects the team before stating that hes incapable because he isnt a football guy.

I was a consultant for years after I got out of the military and was hired by large companies and worked with executives giving them  input  into a world they weren't very knowledgeable about.  The  johnson's don't eat sleep and drink football, they have other duties and businesses.

A consultant is not a GM a coach or anything to that nature it is somebody that is  entrenched in the football world and has experience with the inner workings and is knowledgeable of all personnel in the NFL.  He or she does not make any decisions they just have the owners ear. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I was a consultant for years after I got out of the military and was hired by large companies and worked with executives giving them  input  into a world they weren't very knowledgeable about.  The  johnson's don't eat sleep and drink football, they have other duties and businesses.

A consultant is not a GM a coach or anything to that nature it is somebody that is  entrenched in the football world and has experience with the inner workings and is knowledgeable of all personnel in the NFL.  He or she does not make any decisions they just have the owners ear. 

Once again, what does a consultant do in the day to day operation of a football team that a GM doesnt do?  Hes another layer looking over a GMs shoulder.  Its far different that adding to an organization without a knowledgeable person on board as you did.  I dont see it as being necessary, seems redundant in the case of a team with a GM, thats all

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Johnsons know as much about football as any other owner and they all dont need a czar.  Seems to me its just another layer above the GM and below the owner.  Dont see much to it.  Parcells was handed the job in Miami and what came out of it?  Hasnt done a thing in Jax.  Not sure what it does for you, think its much more important to just hire the right GM.  I get the thinking, get a football guy in here to help run things but seems redundant to me

Yes but most of the other owners (at least the good ones) have competent GM's who run the football ops dept.  Not a GM and HC who report to the owner which seems crazy, how would Woody or Chris know enough about football to decide on a disagreement between Bowles and Macc?  Enough of these first time guys learning on the job it's time to get an experienced football guy in here either at GM or above the GM.  

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

Yes but most of the other owners (at least the good ones) have competent GM's who run the football ops dept.  Not a GM and HC who report to the owner which seems crazy, how would Woody or Chris know enough about football to decide on a disagreement between Bowles and Macc?  Enough of these first time guys learning on the job it's time to get an experienced football guy in here either at GM or above the GM.  

Nonsense,  being a competent GM has nothing to do with him reporting to the owner.  There isnt a GM in the league who doesnt report to the owner on a weekly, at least, basis.  And there isnt a NFL owner anywhere who doesnt get involved in big moves like trades and is in on draft thoughts. You want a different GM, I'm fine with that at this point.  Has nothing to do with needed two of them, which is essentially what a overseer to the GM is

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nonsense,  being a competent GM has nothing to do with him reporting to the owner.  There isnt a GM in the league who doesnt report to the owner on a weekly, at least, basis.  And there isnt a NFL owner anywhere who doesnt get involved in big moves like trades and is in on draft thoughts. You want a different GM, I'm fine with that at this point.  Has nothing to do with needed two of them, which is essentially what a overseer to the GM is

I'm speaking more to the fact that our HC reports to the owner putting him and the GM on the same level.  This organization needs to bring in a good football guy either at GM or above the GM and let him run the show.  I'm not defending Macc but the way we're structured right now means Chris Johnson is our "football czar"  c'mon.  Either bring in a GM and let him run the show or put someone above the GM to run the show who isn't a Johnson.

10 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm speaking more to the fact that our HC reports to the owner putting him and the GM on the same level.  This organization needs to bring in a good football guy either at GM or above the GM and let him run the show.  I'm not defending Macc but the way we're structured right now means Chris Johnson is our "football czar"  c'mon.  Either bring in a GM and let him run the show or put someone above the GM to run the show who isn't a Johnson.

Theyre not the only team that does this.  Its overblown.  Dont understand how it puts them both on the same level.  I have no doubt that the GM is above the HC, no matter that the HC also talks to the owner.  In no way does that mean that the GM doesnt run the show, no one has ever proven otherwise.  People get the Johnsons wrong on a daily basis.  Yesterday there were more than a few posts talking about who Woody will bring in.  Woody.  From England.  Sure, hes hiring people from across the Atlantic, over Chris.

Man this would be the smart move that the Jets NEVER make. 

Just look at Reggie's draft history from 2013-18 (he was hired in January 2012 but really only started making "his picks" in '13):

Round 6:  RB Latavius Murray

Round 1:  Khalil Mack (future HOFer)

Round 2:  Derek Carr (2015-17 Pro Bowler)

Round 3:  G Gabe Jackson (starter last 5 years at LG then RG)

Round 1:  Amari Cooper (2015-16 Pro Bowler, 62 catches/922 yards/7 TD for OAK/DAL thru 12 games this season)

Round 1:  CB Gareon Conley (2 INT, 13 PD's, 1 TD as starter so far in 2018)

Round 5:  ILB Marquel Lee (58 tackles, 3 PD's, 2 TFL's, 3 QB Hits in 9 starts so far in '18)

Round 5:  DT Maurice Hurst (4.0 sacks, 1 FF, 3 PD's, 3 TFL, 3 QB Hits in 10 starts as rookie)

So that's 1 future HOFer, 2 multi-year Pro Bowlers, 4 solid starters and a nice backup RB over 6 years.  Show me more than a handful of GM's who have done better than that. 

Round 1:  Khalil Mack (future HOFer)

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Round 6:  RB Latavius Murray

Round 2:  Derek Carr (2015-17 Pro Bowler)

Round 3:  G Gabe Jackson (starter last 5 years at LG then RG)

Round 5:  ILB Marquel Lee (58 tackles, 3 PD's, 2 TFL's, 3 QB Hits in 9 starts so far in '18)

Round 5:  DT Maurice Hurst (4.0 sacks, 1 FF, 3 PD's, 3 TFL, 3 QB Hits in 10 starts as rookie)

I trimmed up the above post to emphasize the "value" picks that McKenzie found.  Mac has not found a player after the first round remotely close to as talented as any of the above players.

I am sure Reggie is not perfect, but he is far better than Mac has been.  

Of course we will miss out on Reggie because the lucky sperm brothers need another year to realise how bad Macc is and they love having the HC and GM “decoupled” and loyal directly to the owner(s).

The carousel goes round and round...

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Once again, what does a consultant do in the day to day operation of a football team that a GM doesnt do?  Hes another layer looking over a GMs shoulder.  Its far different that adding to an organization without a knowledgeable person on board as you did.  I dont see it as being necessary, seems redundant in the case of a team with a GM, thats all

The consultant is hired by the owner and works for the owner and consults the owner as  detailed in the contract. It has nothing to do with another body, it doesn't work that way and I really don't feel like going back-and-forth about consultants it happens all the time in the NFL. They are not full-time employees and they don't make any personal decision, most of the time they're not even in the building. There are several working for other NFL teams/owners or they are working for the owners themselves. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tannenbaum is a joke of an accountant to you people, but he put up better numbers than that from 2006-2007 

What do you mean "You people"?

Tannenbaum forgot how to draft after 2007.  Not sure exactly what happened there, though I know @T0mShane has a theory.  Those 2 drafts were transcendent though.  No doubt about that. 

Archived