Do the Jets get Darnold a legitimate #1 WR this Offseason?

Sully80

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

At this point, no WR is a consensus to go in any round... the closest thing to a "lock" would be AJ Brown in round 1, but even that is fragile. Very Fluid WR draft, and don't let the nay say'ers fool you, it's balls deep. 

I wish we could overhaul our entire corps with 3-4 of 'em

I will be angry if we don't draft at least two WRs in this class. Plenty of ballers will be available. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We don't need a speedy Midget we need a big physical WR in the mold of a Brandon Marshall or a Keyshawn Johnson .

A guy who is not afraid to go over the middle make the tough catches and move the chain's .... you want to supplement that with John brown thats fine be hes certainly not what we need until we get a real # 1

Exactly this guy gets it. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

At this point, no WR is a consensus to go in any round... the closest thing to a "lock" would be AJ Brown in round 1, but even that is fragile. Very Fluid WR draft, and don't let the nay say'ers fool you, it's balls deep. 

I wish we could overhaul our entire corps with 3-4 of 'em

Agree it’s VERY fluid.  When it’s all said and done, if some of these guys check out medically and have good pre draft workouts that you could see maybe 4 of these guys go In the first.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

It all depends on free agency. We have 98 million to spend.

WR- re-sign Enunwa and Robby, sign at least 1 of Tyrell Williams, Devin Funchess, Adam Humphries. TOTAL MONEY in 2019: $22 Million

Edge - Sign 1 of Lawrence, Clowney, Ford, Barr, Flowers and sign 1 of Graham, Preston Smith, Fowler. TOTAL MONEY in 2019: $30-35 Million

OL - Sign Matt Paradis, retain Ijalana and Dozier. TOTAL MONEY in 2019: $15 million 

RB - Cut Crowell, Sign Bell. Net TOTAL MONEY in 2019: $9 million TOTAL MONEY in 3 years: $45 million. 

DL - Re-Sign Anderson. TOTAL MONEY: $7 million

Secondary - Nothing, for the love of God play Jones and Nickerson and Roberts 

This leaves us with about $10 million to round out the roster with JAGs and draft picks. We’ll probably make more room by extending Williams and Beachum.

If everything goes well then drafting can go BAP. Ideally, that would be Jonah Williams but it might end up being Dexter Lawrence.

How did you come up with $9M at RB?  I think that getting out of Crowell's deal will cost a couple of million.  Do you expect Bell to sign for $12M?  

Derrick Jones can't play.  He has not played a single snap on D all year.  I understand liking his potential, but expecting him to play meaningful snaps is suicide.  If he had any instincts I would have expected him to make some noise on specials.  I like Roberts, but he is an UFA.  You'd have to assign some money his way.  Standing on what you have in the secondary leaves you with Johnson, Nickerson, Rashard Robinson and Jones.  They will get eaten alive.  You need to allocate money for at least one starting level CB.  Claiborne and Skrine play almost every snap.  I get that the coaches are idiots, but I don't think their depth chart is that out of whack.  They haven't been mistaken on any DBs I can remember - unless you want to count Juston Burris playing a few special team snaps for the Browns last week.

This is a WR thread and I don't think your plan there is bad or unrealistic.  Assuming that you tender Anderson for the season at around $3M, that would leave you $19M for Enunwa and your FA.  I still think you need to draft WR, but I like looking at later guys.  I don't see that plan netting the true #1 though. Funchos, WIlliams and Humpheries can play but IMO they are not #1 WRs.

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We don't need a speedy Midget we need a big physical WR in the mold of a Brandon Marshall or a Keyshawn Johnson .

A guy who is not afraid to go over the middle make the tough catches and move the chain's .... you want to supplement that with John brown thats fine be hes certainly not what we need until we get a real # 1

Agree.  If you watch the Jets in the red zone you will immediately notice how they have NO ONE to go to down there.  They have no one to go up and high point a ball, no one to use their body to shield defenders on slants, no one to run fades to.   

The good thing about this draft is that there are tons of receivers who fit that description.  Just an abundance.  I would be beyond disappointed if the Jets avoided all these guys.  

15 hours ago, genot said:

Cole Beasley would be a huge upgrade over Kearse in the slot. I believe he's an unrestricted F.A.

That would be a nice little signing for sure.  Need a guy with sure hands who stays healthy to compliment whatever other receivers we end up, and Beasley fits that bill nicely. 

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I totally agree with this.  Sick of watching other 'good' qbs heave up 50/50 balls and get completions while we never get those.

Those who want us to trade for a Mike Evans or AJ Green.....with what assets?  We cannot afford to being shipping off any more draft picks in a year where we don't have a 2nd rounder.  And a hard no to sending off a 2020 first rounder or something crazy like that. 

So who are we sending to get a WR?  Leonard Williams? 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I totally agree with this.  Sick of watching other 'good' qbs heave up 50/50 balls and get completions while we never get those.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Those guys are a young QBs best friend.  If you see them one on one you throw it to them.  

Yep.  And even if they don't haul in the 50/50 ball, they can still draw a flag.  Making it more like a 55/45 ball. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How did you come up with $9M at RB?  I think that getting out of Crowell's deal will cost a couple of million.  Do you expect Bell to sign for $12M?  

Derrick Jones can't play.  He has not played a single snap on D all year.  I understand liking his potential, but expecting him to play meaningful snaps is suicide.  If he had any instincts I would have expected him to make some noise on specials.  I like Roberts, but he is an UFA.  You'd have to assign some money his way.  Standing on what you have in the secondary leaves you with Johnson, Nickerson, Rashard Robinson and Jones.  They will get eaten alive.  You need to allocate money for at least one starting level CB.  Claiborne and Skrine play almost every snap.  I get that the coaches are idiots, but I don't think their depth chart is that out of whack.  They haven't been mistaken on any DBs I can remember - unless you want to count Juston Burris playing a few special team snaps for the Browns last week.

This is a WR thread and I don't think your plan there is bad or unrealistic.  Assuming that you tender Anderson for the season at around $3M, that would leave you $19M for Enunwa and your FA.  I still think you need to draft WR, but I like looking at later guys.  I don't see that plan netting the true #1 though. Funchos, WIlliams and Humpheries can play but IMO they are not #1 WRs.

Lol I got really into what I writing and figured I’d round out to the WR in a later post. Cutting Crowell saves $4 Million and I expect them to pay Bell with a large bonus, meaning a big cash commitment but a relatively low cap number of about $12-13 million.

As for the receivers, I don’t think we’ll spend a high pick on a receiver. I’d prefer bring in a number 2 type outside receiver in order to play Enunwa in the slot more than he has this season. A FA WR, Enunwa, Anderson, Bell, McGuire, Cannon and Herndon are enough pass catchers for a team that can scheme well. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those who want us to trade for a Mike Evans or AJ Green.....with what assets?  We cannot afford to being shipping off any more draft picks in a year where we don't have a 2nd rounder.  And a hard no to sending off a 2020 first rounder or something crazy like that. 

So who are we sending to get a WR?  Leonard Williams? 

Wait till after draft to make deal for aj or evens

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

My unpopular belief: Neither Enunwa nor Anderson are WR2. WR2 don’t vanish from games for long stretches. Those are your WR3 and WR4. We don’t have a starting caliber WR on the roster. 

I think you vastly overrate the talent around the league and the Jets QB play.  We still should look to upgrade, but we could actually do worse.

6 minutes ago, j4jets said:

My unpopular belief: Neither Enunwa nor Anderson are WR2. WR2 don’t vanish from games for long stretches. Those are your WR3 and WR4. We don’t have a starting caliber WR on the roster. 

Agree 100% about Enunwa and Andersen.  Good compliments but neither are anchoring a WR group. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I will be angry if we don't draft at least two WRs in this class. Plenty of ballers will be available. 

eh, given the condition of the roster -- I doubt we see anything more than a mid to late round pick spent on a WR/RB.. let's remember who's calling the shots here. We'll see what the situation is post-FA.

Thankfully i think there's going to be a handful of late round/UDFA prospects worth targeting. Let's hope, nay, pray. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Is there a Brandon Marshall type player out there that we can get for a 5th rounder?

Yes. Lots. 

Off the top of my head (keep in mind, there's little consensus on which round these guys could go in)

• Chase Claypool (ND)
  • Jordan Humphrey (Texas)
  • Hakeem Butler (Iowa St)
  • David Sills (W.Virginia)
  • Jamarius Way (S. Alabama)
  • Keelan Doss (UC Davis)
  • Jazz Ferguson (NW St/ LSU) 
  • Emmanuel Butler (N. Arizona)

I promise that some of these names are going to be household in a couple years and non are likely (to my knowledge at this point in time) to taken before round 4... Maaaaaaybe Butler or Claypool.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yes. Lots. 

Off the top of my head (keep in mind, there's little consensus on which round these guys could go in)

• Chase Claypool (ND)
  • Jordan Humphrey (Texas)
  • Hakeem Butler (Iowa St)
  • David Sills (W.Virginia)
  • Jamarius Way (S. Alabama)
  • Keelan Doss (UC Davis)
  • Jazz Ferguson (NW St/ LSU) 
  • Emmanuel Butler (N. Arizona)

I promise that some of these names are going to be household in a couple years and non are likely (to my knowledge at this point in time) to taken before round 4... Maaaaaaybe Butler or Claypool.

I meant as in a trade. We got BM for a 5th.

20 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Metcalf is 6'3" with a ton of talent and going to be a #1 WR somewhere... John Brown would be a great depth piece with awesome hands and can get open.... what are you talking about...

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Metcalf is 6'3" with a ton of talent and going to be a #1 WR somewhere... John Brown would be a great depth piece with awesome hands and can get open.... what are you talking about...

Metcalf may very well be the guy I described (hes a beast) but that remains to be seen and then the fact we actually have to draft the guy. Either way this team does not need a John Brown he should be the last guy we worry about picking up.

So lets Sign Bell and Draft Metcalf and Harry  Boom instant offense :) and big Physical targets for Darnold

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Right now there's a Mock out there that has the Jets taking Harry in the first round and Metcalf is projected as a late third early 4th (which may change) but they are both doable I would not mind this at all