Josh Rosen's best game

jetstream23

....was his first.  Lots of local talk here in Arizona about whether he's just okay, has great potential or is a bust.  And then, questions about whether it's his bad Oline and lack of playmakers (except David Johnson) or his defensive-minded head coach causing the problems.  Sound familiar?

Most agree he's not progressing.  The local sports talk radio guys here are honestly questioning whether he is regressing though.

Like Darnold, Rosen's best game was his first of the season when PFF gave him the highest grade of any rookie QB debut since they started grading in 2006.

1503331290_ScreenShot2018-12-10at5_47_55PM.png.b0a0dae81949bcf199e44308cbace17a.png

But since then....

781186921_ScreenShot2018-12-10at5_50_20PM.png.1f4502102cf1f501bf96c24f094da873.png

With Josh Allen also looking pretty Meh yesterday, is Baker Mayfield the only QB in a good situation having a good season?

I’d say Lamar is in a decent situation too. But Baker is miles ahead of Jackson as a passer so it really doesn’t make a huge difference when Baker’s individual play is flat out way better than Jackson’s.

I honestly didn’t expect Rosen to look this slow, clueless and average. I expected the guy to have the best season out of all of them in year 1. He’s looked the worst. That is the biggest surprise out of this QB class.

I'm sure every cardinals message board has a nico to remind everyone it's the coaches, oline, weaponz (etc)

That being said Rosen is the real surprise for me of this class with everybody else playing about how I'd have guessed. Thought for sure he would look a lot better than he has. I'd be concerned too but hes still a rookie and should get a lot better by next season 

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm sure every cardinals message board has a nico to remind everyone it's the coaches, oline, weaponz (etc)

That being said Rosen is the real surprise for me of this class with everybody else playing about how I'd have guessed. Thought for sure he would look a lot better than he has. I'd be concerned too but hes still a rookie and should get a lot better by next season 

I feel like he has plenty of weapons. I think the OL is the worst in football and I hear their guy can’t scheme himself out of a brown paper bag.

similar to us but worse/better in some areas. Despite all this, I feel like, he should at least be doing a little better than how he’s doing. I felt so sure about Rosen pre-draft. it’s not quite time to panic but I can’t help but feel like he’s just not catching onto the speed of the game or making any “this is why we took him at #10” type of moments.

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

....was his first.  Lots of local talk here in Arizona about whether he's just okay, has great potential or is a bust.  And then, questions about whether it's his bad Oline and lack of playmakers (except David Johnson) or his defensive-minded head coach causing the problems.  Sound familiar?

Most agree he's not progressing.  The local sports talk radio guys here are honestly questioning whether he is regressing though.

Like Darnold, Rosen's best game was his first of the season when PFF gave him the highest grade of any rookie QB debut since they started grading in 2006.

1503331290_ScreenShot2018-12-10at5_47_55PM.png.b0a0dae81949bcf199e44308cbace17a.png

But since then....

781186921_ScreenShot2018-12-10at5_50_20PM.png.1f4502102cf1f501bf96c24f094da873.png

With Josh Allen also looking pretty Meh yesterday, is Baker Mayfield the only QB in a good situation having a good season?

Josh rosen has better players around him than Allen and Darnold. Johnson and Larry Fitz ( had 100 catches 1k yards last yr) alone. 

Josh Rosen is the biggest surprise for so far in my opinion, and not for good reasons. The rest of the guys are playing close to how I expected them to be playing at this point.

The highest rating he's put up this year is an 88, I expected that to be his season marker. Also through his struggles I haven't seen any real flashy games from him to showcase his potential like I've seen from Darnold/Allen/Mayfield. The guy was hyped up as the most pro ready QB, and he's doing the worst out of the bunch. I know a lot of blame should be placed on his team as it's not an ideal rookie QB situation, but I can't say that they're much if even worse than us in terms of talent.

I do understand though that it is really early and stupid to draw conclusions. I just expect the guy who's praised as the most pro ready QB to play somewhat like it, and not worse than the rawest and most inexperienced of the bunch.

I thought he would be better then he’s been also. Just doesn’t seem to have the fire inside I thought he and Mayfield both did. You guys are right though when you say it will take time though. It’s so easy to be swayed by each good, bad game they have. Most here know I’m a Mayfield fan, and I think he’s shown to be the best in the small sample size so far. I actually think the order they were picked is the order they’ll end up shaking out in a few years. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, then Rosen with Jackson maybe edging ahead of him into fourth.

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Well with that being said what happens to any of these QB's in Andy Reids System with that load of talent around them ?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I haven't seen Rosen play at all. All of these rookies are hard to guage by their stats because as you said, it's all about the progression. Would you say that Sam is looking better than he is at this point?

Rosen came across as such a Dbag after the draft, I wondered how he would handle himself if the team/he looked like sh*t. How is he doing with the media? 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I thought he would be better then he’s been also. Just doesn’t seem to have the fire inside I thought he and Mayfield both did. You guys are right though when you say it will take time though. It’s so easy to be swayed by each good, bad game they have. Most here know I’m a Mayfield fan, and I think he’s shown to be the best in the small sample size so far. I actually think the order they were picked is the order they’ll end up shaking out in a few years. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, then Rosen with Jackson maybe edging ahead of him into fourth.

I just watched A FOOTBALL LIFE about Doug Williams & he's head of personnel I believe with the Redskins now. There is a clip where he's sitting in his office & he says, "out of all the QBs coming out Mayfield is the most pro ready", he was right on the money. 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I just watched A FOOTBALL LIFE about Doug Williams & he's head of personnel I believe with the Redskins now. There is a clip where he's sitting in his office & he says, "out of all the QBs coming out Mayfield is the most pro ready", he was right on the money. 

Isn't Mayfield like 2 years older than Darnold though?  I still think Darnold has a real chance to be the best of his class.  

Rosen doesn't move well, and doesn't throw well when he tries to move. It's a bad combination behind a bad OL. He and Sam have nearly identical comp/att, but Sam is throwing for more yards, more TDs, and, yes, more interceptions. More telling is the fact that the Jets are outscoring the Cards 270-178 (ouch!). Rosen's been sacked 8 more times for another 90 yards lost. They need to improve his protection and run more plays that get the ball out of his hand quickly. 

We have reason to complain, they probably have even more. 

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't Mayfield like 2 years older than Darnold though?  I still think Darnold has a real chance to be the best of his class.  

He is & that's probably why Doug thought he was the one that could play RIGHT AWAY based on how many games he played in college.

I think people are under estimating the level of suck that the Cards are this year. I live here and am forced to watch every game because my brother is a fan and thinks they are going to the superbowl every year so I make him suffer through our games and vice versa but I digress.......

That kid hasnt shown me any flashy plays but he hasnt be as bad as some are making him out to be. He has lost most of his line and not for a game here and there, I mean flat out lost for the season. The first OC was at least as shatty as our shatty used to be and more shatty than our current oc and as such got fired. The new one is a first timer on the job and well lets just say he is growing into his role. 

The head coach is a rookie and so bad they were contemplating firing him 6 games into his FIRST season.

There are exactly 4 people on offense that are actually playing this year. Rosen, Fitz, Johnson and wr Kirk. 2 of those four players are ROOKIES. That's how bad the offense is no joke. 

I know we have a higher level of understanding every minute detail on the jets and how they suck and why they suck but I was listening to wolf on the radio yesterday discussing how they now have the top pick in the draft and their franchise qb in place.

Rosen is going to be fine, he too is making shineola from shattttt

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

These QBs keep coming out early, but I wonder how many are hurting their long term NFL career.   How much better and more prepared would they have looked with another year under their belt?   I realize the pull of the money, but a starting NFL QB can play for near 15-20 years, make 300 plus million dollars.   They can be better prepared and have a bit more maturity (thereby less bust rate) if they don't come out at 21, and come out after being a 3 year starter at 23.

12 hours ago, CTM said:

Put him on the Cowboys and he would be a different QB. 

Like Slats mentioned, his lack of mobility is a problem. That's why you don't see "flashy" plays from him. He's a pocket passer (probably the best of the bunch), and that's becoming obsolete today, like post up centers in the NBA. You've got to be able to improvise in this league,extend plays. Those are the qb's who become successful now.

2 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Like Slats mentioned, his lack of mobility is a problem. That's why you don't see "flashy" plays from him. He's a pocket passer (probably the best of the bunch), and that's becoming obsolete today, like post up centers in the NBA. You've got to be able to improvise in this league,extend plays. Those are the qb's who become successful now.

pocket passer with below average arm and mobility.  didn't like his UCLA highlights, not enough wow throws.  compare that to darnold's USC highlights, tons of them.  rosen needs to be in a situation like eli was with the giants for years, good line, weapons and lots of time.  never understood all the whining about not taking him after the draft.  if the cards were smart they'd lay low all draft season, then trade up for herbert if they're not in the #1 spot.  no way would i pass on him if i'm the cardinals, rosen is destined to be a career backup.

Archived