John DeFilippo fired - joins McCarthy on the PASS list

nj meadowlands

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, harts724 said:

More like Aaron Rogers made him into a superbowl coach!

So when does the coach help the QB vs the QB help the coach? You can't cherry pick things like that. McCarthy is an offensive coach and he led the switch from Favre to Rodgers. He deserves credit of putting Rodgers in a position to be successful... 

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

So when does the coach help the QB vs the QB help the coach? You can't cherry pick things like that. McCarthy is an offensive coach and he led the switch from Favre to Rodgers. He deserves credit of putting Rodgers in a position to be successful... 

Great, so the Packers can build a statute for him. I don't want a guy that misused Aaron Jones all year and then had his QB run him out of town. Mccarthy may have groomed Rodgers, but I personally think he was carried by Favre and Rodgers and didn't really get the most out of Rodgers prime years. 

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Wow.... talk about a fall from grace. A top tier coaching candidate to a guy nobody's going to want to work with.

Zimmer is a great head coach in this league and will likely get the team turned around for January.

Based on what?  This will likely be his 3rd .500 season or worse in 5 years with the Vikings.  

If the Jets want a much better team in 2019-a significant improvement over what they have, to take a step forward to possibly playoffs next year-a path is already there:

• McKenzie-GM or President
  • McCarthy-Coach
  • DeFellipo-OC/QBC
  • Rex-DC

Yes, this can seem crazy, but all or individually but be a fast improvement over what the Jets had over the last 4 years.   That is more a reflection of how bad the past few years have been.  

It could be very expensive, which is another reason why it would not happen.

27 minutes ago, nico002 said:

yes we should pass on a 55 year old super bowl winning coach that helped make Aaron Rodgers a HOF QB...

You really want to credit McCarthy with that?  Rodgers has a super computer brain and laser accuracy.  The kinds of things you can't teach.  Any coach would have looked good with him as the QB. 

Much like the terrible coaches Manning had in Indy that did more harm than good, both he and Rodgers should have at least one more ring apiece to show for their stays in Indy and Green Bay, respectively.

Rodgers is definitely a jerk, but as soon as McCarthy was gone, he said the team had its "best practice all season".  If you would want to chalk that up to Rodgers being a "coach killer", whatever.  I'd rather let some other franchise take that chance. 

Zimmer is Rex/Bowles.  Probably more rex right now due to some success last year.

The team has Thielin, Diggs, Rudolph and Cook out of the back field as receivers.

The team signs cousins to a huge contract.

The coach then proceeds to demand "We have to run the ball!"  Where have I heard that before.

And as I have said before, the worst job in pro sports is offensive coordinator.

I was never on the Deflippio train as far as head coach goes but there is a serious disconnect between coach and gm if the coach just wanted another case keenum game manager.

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Great, so the Packers can build a statute for him. I don't want a guy that misused Aaron Jones all year and then had his QB run him out of town. Mccarthy may have groomed Rodgers, but I personally think he was carried by Favre and Rodgers and didn't really get the most out of Rodgers prime years. 

i think you need to look at the whole story.  i read the cupboard was getting pretty bare over the past couple of seasons and the packers didn't like signing good free agents.  it doesn't take long for a team to go bad if the players aren't replenished.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think you need to look at the whole story.  i read the cupboard was getting pretty bare over the past couple of seasons and the packers didn't like signing good free agents.  it doesn't take long for a team to go bad if the players aren't replenished. 

Similar to the situation in Baltimore.  Difference is, Harbaugh got a ring with Joe friggin Flacco. 

I'm not impressed by a coach who was carried to a SB by Rodgers then failed to make a positive impact the moment the talent around Rodgers depleted.  That makes McCarthy just a guy.  Not an elite coaching candidate.

I watch a lot of Minn games because of FF. A couple of things:

1) Their o-line was a train wreck (due to injuries) coming out of the pre-season. It's still brutal.

2) As a result, Cousins has become "twitchy". He's taken a lot of shots.

3) Cousins' ball security has been horrible.

With that said, some of DeFilippo's play calling has been downright bizarre at times.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Similar to the situation in Baltimore.  Difference is, Harbaugh got a ring with Joe friggin Flacco. 

I'm not impressed by a coach who was carried to a SB by Rodgers then failed to make a positive impact the moment the talent around Rodgers depleted.  That makes McCarthy just a guy.  Not an elite coaching candidate.

Hes also said to be very thin skinned who had issues with some of the press in GB.  Can you imagine how that would play in NY if the dont get out to a quick start?

Archived